Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The court stuff is just endless fodder for modders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
loving hell paradox just gimme the thing. I want to create my fancy hybrid kultur.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I thought that Light infantry MaAs were pretty good all around because they are cheap enough to bulk up your armies and the AI tends to get heavy Infantry MaAs. Light Cav is great for stackwiping.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Aren't we getting a culture focused expansion?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
You should use elephants when playing as an Emperor in India because they are a symbol of royalty and wisdom.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The culture update can't come out soon enough. Need me my fun indo norse run.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

SlothBear posted:

As others have said it's far from impossible. One of my favorite playthroughs was starting as a 1 county Messalian in Italy. You will learn quickly who you need to have an answer for and it ads a ton of challenge. Being a heretic doesn't mean you can't form allies with christians, it's just harder.

In that playthough I ended up getting a hook on the Byzantine empreror, swearing fealty and getting religious protection and building up and undermining them from within. It was super fun.

Heh I did the same with house Karen for the tahirids. Joined their war against the guys in the middle of persia, managed to get religious freedom and then fought all the other vassals while marrying my sister. In two generations the guy was down to a single settlement and vibin while everyone in the countryside was building fire altars and roasting smores on them.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

megane posted:

I think in the end the most disappointing thing about CK3 for me is how easy it is. Every single system gives you bonuses upon bonuses upon bonuses for basically no effort. I'm glad to hear they're adding new mechanics, but not super stoked that their primary impact seems to be "more bonuses to stack!!"

OTOH you can just vibe just sitting and goofing around your land. The game is plenty difficult if you are playing as Afghanistan in the early start date, mazdayana characters etc.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Counterpoint: Stat stacking is fun and allows you do cool things like creating a really centralized hard to conquer state. Its really fun playing as the the Shah of Kabulistan in 867 and basically doing guerilla war on invading armies. I look forward to doing more of it by creating a complete custom kingdom stretching across the Himalayas, Hindu Kush, Pamirs and Tianshan mountains and dorfing it up.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Light infantry is great for buffing up your initial numbers when starting out. The AI tends to recruit heavy infantry which is countered by light infantry.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

THE BAR posted:

Wait, what? Why? Even on completely flat fields?

It says right there on the unit counters. The starting LI are weak to archers but strong against Foot Infantry.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Help, the cupbearer keeps drinking all my Toddy.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The language/cultural tolerance system is now really nice because it allow you to institutionalize aspects of a multi ethnic/multi religious empire instead of just leaving it up to your failkids. Keeping the rubes overawed by your bling filled palace is also nice. Being at the borderlands of large multicultural groups now lets you pick and choose cultural aspects of each one. Making Baktria is gonna be so much fun.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ms Adequate posted:

Got truly annihilated trying to be a Zoroastrian in Persia. Muslims do not be liking that, it seems.

The trick is to be under a muslim ruler and marry into other local zoroastrians.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

TjyvTompa posted:

Can you explain this in more detail?

I did this in CKII so I know how to do it but I was not able to in CK3 since you can't "fake convert" to Islam and you liege will just pester you constantly about converting, educating your children, revoking your titles, imprisoning you and then finally executing you. I have seen tutorials on youtube and it is so obvious that they cheat it's not even funny. "*non ironman game start* Play as this count *snip* now I am the head of my large duchy after some easy wars *snip* ok next I did was to declare war on this guy and win and now I am a King".
I have been made aware of that a huge amount of people also use cheatengine to cheat in ironman mode from seeing many people cry about it not working after the update, I guess they just need updated addresses for cheat engine. Anyway I am just very salty since it seems nobody can tell me in detail how to actually do it in CK3. And to be clear, I am not accusing you of cheating, I am just very salty about this :qq:

You change your contract to ensure religious freedom and protected title revocation and give your boss max levies. You get as many cavalry units you get as Mr Karen and his Sisterwife and proceed to conquer your neighbours with your martial focus creating a place for your heirs. Sell captured nobles to fund your military expansion/duchy formation. All this time you should be moving towards Merv, which the main seat of a very nice and large province, which can be your actual powerbase. By this time you should have pumped out at least a few kids that you should be grooming into ruling the land you have taken from fellow vassals. All this while you are technically under the hood of the Tahirid emirate so you won't be war declared by the large islamic kingdoms that surround you from three sides.

If you are lucky the Tahirids lose to the Saffarids and forfeit the province of Nishapur which means that they are out of a powerbase and have to rule from somewhere in the lovely mountains that border Afghanistan. Either way, the second generation should work towards consolidating your hold on Merv, ideally holding it for a powerbase for the Karen Dynasty.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Mahasamatman posted:

Does anyone know how hybrid cultures work with culture specific decisions? For example, can I form the kingdom of Cornwall as Norse-Cornish or a reformed neocornish or is it literally only for Cornish?

Also, are there cultural unions within groups? I would love to make a custom empire of Welsh, Breton, Cornish but it seems like I have to pick one? I tried the new steward interaction on my Breton territory and it said I can’t promote acceptance within the same culture group.

I think it works with hybrid cultures. I have the form baktria decisions with my punjabi afghan hybrid.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Otto Pandya.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I tried doing the Indo Norse thing but man it takes quite a while to build enough tolerance to create a hybrid culture.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
You can't directly control cities but they make tons of money.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Metropolitan Venice you say.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I think you are supposed to make plays for territory you want while doing diplomacy/intrigue/bribing with other people to pump up the meters.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm a big Sinews of War fan, it knows what it's trying to do (make a more realistic population/economy simulation than vanilla - which admittedly is not always hard), and executes on it well without much scope creep (except for the change to narrow the difference between levies and MaA, but that's a good change) or MEIOU-esque performance murder (unlike a lot of other mods trying to do this). If you vibe with its goal I heartily recommend - I don't think it's for everybody but it's definitely for me.

(Note: a lot of the videos and stuff about the mod are out of date - the dev is very active and has majorly reworked it since its initial release, and indeed SoW itself is in large part a rework of an earlier mod called Dieu et Mon Droit)

Other go-tos for me are (aside from my own mods which I will leave for other people to theoretically comment on, or the really popular stuff like RICE/VIET/big UI stuff like Barbershop/Nameplates/Notifications/Duel Overlay/UniUI - so this is a few mods I think are hidden gems):

More Interactive Vassals involves vassals more in their lieges' wars - instead of just raising the liege's levy count, vassals (precisely which ones depends on the war) join as allies, along with their MaA. Civil wars use a system similar to CK2's Game of Thrones mod where uninvolved vassals have an option to declare for the liege or the rebels. I'd leave off the AI improvements game rule -- it's mostly overpowered and cheap AI-only CBs and other rule changes to make things easier for them to consolidate -- but who knows, you might like it more than I do. Not exactly a hidden gem but definitely makes things more interesting.

Neighbours Defend Against Holy Wars: You know that tooltip in the Declare War window for Holy Wars that says "<target's faith> rulers may join the war"? They never do, because Paradox didn't get around to scripting AI logic to determine when they do. This mod fixes that so that AI rulers who are eligible can decide to join based on distance, opinion of you or the target, and other factors.

(side note: even in vanilla, you, the player, can join regular Holy Wars as a defender if the target is of your faith using the same Offer To Join War interaction that works to join your allies even if they haven't requested it. I don't recall offhand if there's a distance limit or something.)

Inspirational makes some neat tweaks to artifacts and inspirations that have very quickly become "can't play without" for me.

Big Uncle has done a lot of useful UI changes that are worth looking at if your UI setup is compatible - I think MOST of them play nice with UniUI but can't currently confirm - but Social Relations Expanded, Inheritable Relations, and Gathering Takes Time are all filling major gaps in the vanilla game.

Whichever one of thread regular Magli Zeal's tenet mods suits your taste (since tenets are messy to mod, you either need to only pick ONE mod that adds/changes tenets, look for a compatch, or get good at making your own). Tenets to Doctrines changes some boring tenets into doctrines so there's more flexibility in building religions, Traditional Tenets does that AND adds some interesting combo tenets for pagan faiths, Medieval Matriarchs does both of those AND adds more support/mechanics for smashing the heteropatriarchy.

Submission to Authority (revising internal lawmaking to be more interesting than just raising CA), Loyal to a Fault (revising liege-vassal relations to make Opinion less of a god stat) and Prisoners of War (prisoners are now attached to the armies that captured them until they return to their home territory, so, among other things, they can be rescued). Trick or Trait (hides congenital traits until adolescence or adulthood - so before then what you see is that their parents had the trait and they MIGHT get it) by the same author is also good, Inherichance - vary which of your heirs you continue as when you die, based on game rules - has a fun gimmick if you're into that).

thanks for the advice.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I enjoy boosting my army with feral light infantry that probably throws javelins at invaders.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Theotus posted:

Do you guys have any particular favorite count starts? Start date doesn't matter that much to me, I just like the whole palace intrigue aspect of this game so starting small is my preference.

that funny viking dude in france who you can regularly do indo-norse stuff with.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I love playing in the Afghanistan region tbh. It's this liminal space between three different cultures, four if you count tibet.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
so I can do poo poo like palace coups hypothetically?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Arbite posted:

I dunno, isn't telling stories in the Warcraft setting better suited for HOI4?

all the characters act like brats. No, this is perfect for CK.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

scaterry posted:

Finished an all-cultures merged run right before the dlc releases. I feel pretty good about it, not much time improvement can be made (maybe making the decision cultures earlier? idk)

Explanation here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/17qk4g2/comment/k8ch4bi/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

crazy.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Josef bugman posted:

Quick question but are there any fun mods people can recommend?

Elder Kings 2, AGOT.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
whats dyre?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Servetus posted:

Dyre the Stranger. Viking in the 867 start in modern day Ukraine.

what region?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
baghdad is better every which way.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

George Sex - REAL posted:

Are there any total conversions that are popping off? Especially ones where you can play smaller characters and not be bored? Counts, few county dukes?

Tried the GoT mod but it seems to really want you to play a major player, which I've just never found interesting to start as a king. Also seems a little jank.

the lord of the rings mod just had it's dorfs come out. TES is already really immersive and good.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
OPB is good people you dopes.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Fajita Queen posted:

What are some interesting things to do that RICE adds to the game?

you can read the documentation but it adds a huge amount of flavor events and activities that make peacetime realm management more fun. The mod came into it's own with the tours and tournaments journey system because you can visit places and do fun stuff. Rice alongside EPE and CFP also makes a lot of ethnic groups look less goofy looking. My personal favorite is the pamir content pack RICE adds because it leans into the Indo-Iranian thing incredibly hard and adds a ton of immersion if you are playing the game to chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
After the End is really fun. Getting into american lore