Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I'm looking for a handheld almost exclusively for GBA, mostly for the Metroids, and to a lesser extent a few SNES titles and maybe SotN on PS1. The consensus online seems to be that the RG351 series is the best fit for GBA due to the screen resolution. Is that still the case? Are there any other near the $100 point that I should look for? I prefer the look and form factor of the RG280v, but it seems to be a little bit less powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Appreciate the thorough recommendations all! I'll probably go for the 351p for the ergonomics and the 3:2 screen. The 351v is pretty cool, and the shoulder button solution is drat clever, but the 351p seems like it's probably more comfortable in the hands. Does the wifi enabled version make updating significantly easier or something? I can't seem myself using it for streaming or browsing.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Ended up ordering the RG315p, planning to install 351Elec when it arrives. As somebody that hasn't used an emulator since ZSNES in the mid 00s I'm blown away that these things exist

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
my RG351p arrived, along with a surprise screen protector and wifi dongle included in the box :woop:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Is it necessary to add a PSX BIOS to a fresh install of 351Elec these days? I played a handful of games that ran very well without any tweaking, but I did receive an error message indicating a missing BIOS on launch.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Because I've been messing with emulation for one day, and I don't really know anything about how it works. I added a BIOS to the folder and performance seems marginally better, thanks!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Installed the 60 fps Mario 64 port on my anbernic and it looks extraordinary :stare:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

mariooncrack posted:

I'm looking at getting my first retro handheld. I'm aiming to play SNES and PSX games. Not interested in N64 or Dreamcast. I'm thinking about getting the RG351P. Is it worth upgrading to the RG351MP for the screen. I saw some comments that the metal case is heavy and fatiguing for long sessions.

snes and ps1 run like butter on my rg351p and look very good, but the rg351v, m, and mp models all have screens with a more suitable resolution for home consoles. the 351p screen scales 2x to the GBA's screen resolution but has to scale others imperfectly. still quite good, and the form factor is nice. if you just want a properly sized screen go for the 351m or 351v depending on your preferred form factor. they're all identical on the inside. weight-wise, i can't comment on the rest but the 351p is light weight and it never feels heavy after long play sessions.

whichever you choose, i suggest installing 351Elec firmware immediately because it has all of the proper screen resolutions preset for each console. graphically speaking i've only had to tinker with shaders, but honestly i think everything looks perfectly good with zero tweaking

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 30, 2022

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Rolo posted:

Finally pulled the non-English, demo and beta roms out of my retro library and pushed everything to my 351V.

Currently scraping about 5000 files. Not sure how long this is gonna take.

My 351p inevitably crashes after 2000 or so scrapes via wifi

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

LODGE NORTH posted:

Just wanna chime in again and say the difference in price between an RG351P from Ali versus Amazon Prime with guaranteed two day shipping is like $10

the primary amazon seller includes a wifi dongle and screen protector too, at least they did for me

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
yep 351Elec is great. reminder that you can modify retroarch's per-console and per-game settings directly through the 351Elec frontend and avoid messing with RA's horrible ui almost entirely. also suggest memorizing the hot keys for save states (select + L for load, R for save) and fast forward (select + R2)

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 24, 2022

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
:yeah: I've had a blast with the 351p for the last couple of months, it's great. I see why people have more than one though, a larger screen for SotN and other home consoles would be nice. Hopefully the Steam Deck pushes these companies to keep innovating

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
i'm pro logo and pro small form factor. holding anything bigger than a Switch causes me hand fatigue

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh yeah, 351Elec is now AmberElec (you know, because amber preserves) because uh, it's not really just for 351s anymore is it? The new beta supports importing Launchbox exports, so you can kit out your roms and metadata etc entirely on your PC.

Launchbox is a massive improvement. i could never get the integrated scraper to work very well with large collections.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Manufacturers haven’t topped the rg280v yet :colbert:

it's truly the sexiest in class bar none

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

infinite99 posted:

So I know one of the things with these devices is having Too Many Games and you never really end up playing anything so does anyone have a good curated list of games that are must plays for each system that's playable? I have an RG351V and I definitely just impulse purchased a Miyoo Mini. I know the Mini can't really play anything past PS1 level of graphics so I guess let's go with PS1 and below?

I'm mostly curious to see what everyone else considers a must play besides the obvious ones like Symphony of the Night, A Link to the Past, Mario World, FF6, Chrono Trigger, etc.

I spent the last few months picking these out by reading a ton of lists and posts. Off the top of my head:

PICO-8:
Posting this to remind anyone with a PICO-8 capable system to check it out. You probably have the necessary "core" to run it if you've bought any of the massive charity bundles. It's $15 or so otherwise. It has an internal rating system that is quite good.

NES:
Marios
Castlevanias
Mega Mans
Silent Service (personal pick, submarine warsim, play with headphones)
River City Ransom
Ghosts and Goblins
Gradius
Punch Out
Tetris

Gameboy:
Donkey Kong
Metroid II
Mario Golf
Link's Awakening
Pokemons
Tetris
Tetris Attack
Kirby series
Qix

Gameboy Color
Zeldas
Legend of the River King
Pokemon Pinball
Super Mario Land
Wario Land and sequels
Shantae (gorgeous indie platformer, made by a husband and wife team iirc)
Pokemon Trading Card Game (deckbuilder fans say it's great)

SNES
Super Metroid
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Kirby Superstar
Super Mario World
Super Mario All-Stars
Yoshi' Island
Super Mario RPG
Mario Kart
F-Zero
Street Fighter 2 and Alpha 2
Final Fight
ActRaiser
Chrono Trigger
Castlevania Dracula X
Contra 3
Cybernator (Assault Suits Valken) - bitchin mech game
Metal Warriors (more bitchin mechs)
Goemon series (fan translations available)
Shiren the Wanderer (fan translation) - awesome old school roguelike. Buy Shiren 5 if u dig this!
Live a Live (fan translation) - unique Square RPG with 6 distinct plots in various settings
Mega Man X series
Gradius 3
Parodius
Pop'n Twinbee
Rocky n Pocky
Pilotwings
NBA JAM
Knights of the Round
Libble Rabble - (bizarre arcade game where you create a net to trap enemies by ambidextrously controlling 2 "characters" at the same time. Remarkable game and not oft mentioned)
Mechwarrior
Donkey & Diddy Kongs
Mobile Suit Gundam W: Endless Duel
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Super Punch Out!!
Top Gears (3000 is my fav for the style)
Umihara Kawase (influential Japanese release)

Genesis:
Streets of Rage 2
Shinobi series
Sonic series
NBA JAM
Herzog Zwei (incredibly badass RTS. Surprisingly playable and slick)
MORTAL KOMBAT
Comix Zone
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
Zero Wing

GBA
Pokemons
Advance Wars series
Ninja Cop
Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission. I beat Fusion for the 1st time recently on a 351p and it was excellent
Castlevania trilogy (Aria if i had to pick 1)
Mario Power Tennis
Mario Golf Advance Tour
Mario Kart Super Circuit
Sia (platformer with good art)
WarioWare
Warioland 4
Scurge Hive (isometric Metroidvania, cool small studio affair)
Gradius
Iridion 2
Mega Man Zeros
Max Payne Advance
Racing Gears Advance
Yggdra Union
FFTA (bit rough these days)
Fire Emblem
Gunstar Super Heroes
Astro Boy (insane shmup)

PS1:
Bushido Blade 1&2
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Tobal 2 (insane fighting game roguelike dungeon crawler from Virtua Fighter and related devs)
Einhander
MGS
MGS VR Missions
Gran Turismo
Final Fantasy Tactics
DOOM
Descent
Ape Escape
IS - Internal Section
Jumping Flash - early tech showcase
Mega Man Legends
Remote Control Dandy (fan translated) - predecessor to the most swag PS2 game: Robot Alchemic Drive
Space Hulk (Rainbow 6 in Warhammer)
Tenchu 1 and 2 (aged poorly but good anyway)

PSP:
Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles (contains SotN as an unlockable???)
Lumines (plays very well on 351p)
FFT
Half-Minute Hero
Jeanne D'Arc
What Did I Do to Deserve This My Lord!? 2

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
why would they embargo the code at all? it's gotta be clear that most users switch to CFW right away

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Pokemon Pinball is ridiculously good

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
i've seen various comments that putting 351s into sleep during gameplay can cause problems, so i only use it in the main menu

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

whaley posted:

do certain playstation games (n2o, einhander, other stuff) make anyone else's rg351whatever with 351elec rumble nonstop even after you quit the rom, to where the only way to make it stop is to power the thing off

yes! i encountered the same issue. i tried a bunch of different poo poo and the only solution was to update to the newest firmware. info is scant but it seems to be caused by a bugged PSX core. also saw suggestions that it's related to the selected controller type. i encountered it with Bushdio Blade 1 and Einhander.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

drrockso20 posted:

You can just use an R4 they still make them and for playing DS stuff off them you don't really need to do anything extra, it's only when you want to use an R4 for 3DS stuff that you have to do any hacking

strongly recommend CFW at this point. i bought an R4 card a few months back and it's pretty unreliable. scuttlebutt seems to indicate they're heavily and poorly counterfeited now

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Saoshyant posted:

So assuming a limited selection of devices, what's the best screen for GBA games between Powkiddy V90, Anbernic RG351V, Retroid Pocket 2+, and a 3DS?

Edit: I assume a similar level of emulation quality between all those devices other than the 3DS's BC using the actual existing hardware.

351p has a perfect aspect ratio and a very nice looking screen

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
reading/posting/watching youtube about video games devours way too much of the time that i should just spend playing them

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
i think CT has the most iconic VGM instrumentation out there, along with the Halo choir. the brass! Gato's theme!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
the nintendo reference missed me too, i figured it was like "do re mi"

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
The plastic case 351 series are very sturdy and light, honestly don't why anyone would bother with the metal. My purple 351p is :discourse:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
That happens to me also but only with Jumping Flash

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
remapped the buttons and flipped the display on my 351p so i can play DoDonPachi on a tiny screen :sickos:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
started messing with MAME on a 351p and it's running all of the great Cave shooters, and they're quite playable in tate mode :awesome:

that's a big plus for this device but i've never spotted it in any reviews

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Mrenda posted:

I ordered the 351p from Anbernic last Wednesday, the tracking number was generated last Thursday, it still hasn't been handed over to the couriers. I'm getting worried now.

I know shipping from China is slow, so for that reason and to avoid taxes I ordered from the Spanish warehouse. It doesn't seem to have made a difference.

In the mean time, get a big SD card and set this up: https://amberelec.org/installation

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Does anyone know how to enable turbo for Megadrive games on a 351? Running Amberelec

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

MockingQuantum posted:

What's the best way to emulate DS and 3DS games? I've got both a DS and 3DS XL kicking around, am I best off just getting a flash cart? If so, what's the preferred flash cart these days?

I know in theory the rg351v can emulate DS games but I'm kind of at a loss as to how that would work...

grab a cheap DSi XL from jbone in the SA mart thread!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
If I replace my 351p it will be with a 353m, for the hall sticks.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Genre categories helped me a lot with library paralysis. I put em on the home screen

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
The Amberelec github shows activity a month ago. The last release was in June. https://github.com/AmberELEC/AmberELEC

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
If I understand it properly, the RP3+ should be usable as a straight up console, right? HDMI and Bluetooth would do it. Could I just plug it into a TV and go to town?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
drat that owns. i've been lamenting that the 351p just doesn't have enough screen real estate for a lot of old action games and shmups

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Noted! I'm usually 10ft or less from my Switch docked and I don't notice any lag, so if it can do that much I'll be happy. It'd be enough to stick it on stand tate style to play shmups with a controller tbh.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
there must be some mass cultural trauma inflicted by insane 00's handhelds that's leading gamers to hoard anbernics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
I was playing through the translation of Racing Lagoon last night. Great choice if you want the grimy PSX Tokyo look. Strongly recommend Remote Control Dandy too