Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Are there any good sites or recommendations for some fan hacks to play on these? I just updated my RG353p to the latest UnofficialOS/JelOS and it’s been too long since I’ve tried some new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Humongous Pear posted:

There’s this thread over in the Retro Games sub that has a ton of solid recs in it

Oh that’s perfect, thank you!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The abundance of choice can paralyze you.

And honestly, sometimes it’s more fun to set it all up and a slight let down when you’re all done but have no idea what to play.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I bought my Miyoo Mini Plus from AliExpress/Ampown Official Store on April 4th for $65.01 and it just arrived today. Two weeks, not bad at all.

Two left in the gray as of this second: https://m.aliexpress.us/item/325680...randl_shipto=US

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Can’t wait to play Doom on this.

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1661778303924174849

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

njsykora posted:

Yep, no-one cares about Android TV boxes when for their main purpose they're either little HDMI sticks or built into the TV itself and native Android gaming is lmao.

The Walmart Onn box isn’t bad for $20.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Alucard posted:

Playing with my 6 inch deck

Were you swimming in a pool?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

zzMisc posted:

vv game boy micro isn't a deck

Reported for deck shaming

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
And if not, there’s always the Raspberry Pi route with USB NES controllers (or just go SNES).

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
And if you really want the Tiny NES experience, you can always get a cheap case for the Pi.

https://www.amazon.com/Retroflag-Functional-button-Shutdown-Raspberry/dp/B07BRHDVTN

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

stephenthinkpad posted:

I follow handheld retro console fairly closely. Also the current handheld market have clear winners on each price bracket and makes it very easy.

What's the consensus on something that plug into the TV HDMI port and comes with 2 controllers? Something that already come with a simple and good launcher and just set it and forget it? Assuming I don't want to hack xbox/switch/wii/Playstation mini.

I'm sure someone knows more, but the only things that qualify for that are those mini NES/SNES/Genesis consoles that were released a couple of years back.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Honestly it’s not the aesthetics of the old box, I mostly just like the simple controller (for NES, anyway - I had only that for a long, long time, so I’m a hermit about most anything else). I would like a set and forget thing too, but paying $200 (or needing to build and many hours) there is stretching my interest. I did bid on a modded one on eBay, but nothing was a clear, easy choice.
If I felt I could reliably cast/project to TV, I’d just buy some wireless controllers, (maybe use old laptop and emulator?) and forget it.

E: my wife insists my son actually likes Mario 1 with music and timer at 3x speed, but I have a little bit of pride, dammit. Have not tried to jailbreak that box, not sure it’s worth the hassle.

It's not really hard at all to set something up with Retropie on your PC/Pi. You download the image, burn it to an SD card, and then add the games you want to play. All the emulators are included.

But for set it and forget it, yeah, the old NES/SNES/Genesis consoles are about the best way to accomplish that, and even then you can still add more games to them really easily using hakchi2-ce (https://github.com/teamshinkansen/hakchi2-ce/releases/).

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

stephenthinkpad posted:

Seem to be a wide open market. Somebody should put a highend snapdragon chip in an android TV box and sell it with 2 8bitdo pro knock-off controllers.

Last shield box was from before the pandemic.

It's been tried before.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Forgive my ignorance, but you use your PC to load up the SD card with emulator and roms and then use that where/how?

There is a first start install to Retropie at https://retropie.org.uk/docs/First-Installation/ but just in a nutshell using a Raspberry Pi as an example:

1. Download the image of Retropie that is premade for your Raspberry Pi at https://retropie.org.uk/download/

2. Use a program like Balana Etcher or Win32DiskImager to burn that image to an SD Card.

3. Insert the SD card into the Raspberry Pi and power it on. It will expand to use all the space on the SD card and boot into Emulation Station when complete. You can also attach a controller to the Pi now as it will help you set it up.

4. Once it’s installed, you can transfer your games over to the Pi in a couple of ways. I normally use SFTP and WinSCP but there are a couple of other ways too.

5. Once the games are transferred, reboot the Pi, it will pick up the games, and you can play from there.

There’s a lot more that can be configured, but these are just the basic steps. The links have more info, but if it looks daunting, it really isn’t. Good luck!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Cheers, it does seem a bit daunting but I’ll see if I can get things together enough to try it.

Understandable, but it’s gotten so much easier and better in the last few years, it’s really not difficult at all.

There is a thread for it here as well to learn a bit more: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831406&perpage=40&noseen=1

You’ve got this! 😁

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Is that what to do, get a new system, pop the card and copy it over to something more trustworthy?

Either that or start fresh but don’t use those SD cards for long.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Is it sufficient to just grab whatever emulators and game packages or are there gold standards? Or I guess maybe the emulators are on the core device and you just need to bring in the library ( :filez: ). Is it smart enough to associate by file type?

Sorry, probably simple/dumb questions, just devoting whatever little brain space as time permits.

It depends on the device, but usually the OS has the emulators already included, and when you update the OS, the emulators get updated.

You do bring in your own library. Usually the OS documentation/wiki will show the emulators available, which will show which file types they are able to use.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

njsykora posted:

For the price of most tablets with enough power to do stuff and a decent controller you could just get a Steam Deck.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

otter posted:

And I had the bios files for sega cd and all that, but it wouldnt run snes.

So I put in my new 256gb card,
formatted it in fat 32,
put the onion files on,
put it in the mini plus
fired it up and installed - everything A-OK.
Put it back in the computer to drop the roms and bios files, and then it starts freaking out on me saying the sd card has a problem.
Now it won't format that card and everything is all gone to hell with it, but I think it has more to do with Parallels than it does anything else. I'll try breaking out a real windows pc later on and seeing if it will reformat the sd card because neither macos or my virtual windows 10 install will.

Mac should be able to use the disk partition tool to make a FAT32 drive.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I am definitely ready for that GBA SP clone to come out. I don’t even need it but I want it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

coconono posted:

Yeah unfortunately to get any type of interesting to me retro emulation(ps2 and OG Xbox), I’m looking at building an x86_64 system with a graphics card and that’s like $400 just to start.

If you didn't need OG Xbox, I'd just recommend getting an Xbox Series S and putting it in dev mode.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

coconono posted:

Tried thus, it’s pretty good! Highly recommend. Only downside is it only uses a 20GB partition.

Nah, just grab a 1TB external SSD for $70 or so from Amazon and use that. It's what I do.

Archades Games has a ton of useful Youtube tutorials for anyone who wants to try it. He goes step by step through the process.

https://www.youtube.com/@ArchadesGames/playlists?view=50&sort=dd&shelf_id=6

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 6, 2023

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

hatty posted:

If only it didnt have analog sticks

I would literally pay more not to have them if that's what it took.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

otter posted:

Double-post on the Analogue topic...
Any guesses what their new announcement is?
Rumors /hopes being floated include:
*Updates on Analogue Duo shipping
*New version of the Analogue Pocket
*Software Updates (not so exciting)
*FPGA Neo Geo hardware (please, someone talk 8bitdo into making a completely accurate neo geo wedge arcade stick)

A GBASP Pocket

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

flavor.flv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_iAK8Ac3HE

Oh no, this might actually get me to start collecting these things on purpose instead of by accident

Sweet, now I can play Rad Racer on my rad racer.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

stephenthinkpad posted:

Got a question for you guys. I got a cruise trip coming up. I assume they have a TV screen I can hook up with a hdmi cable.

If I want to split my tv time between 50% plex movies and 50% local party games, should I bring the NV shield or the Steam Deck or a PC stick (N5105)?

I think all 3 support Plex and connect to multiple controllers?

Just know that some cruises have tiny little TVs in the cabins, and sometimes they lock it up in the back or make it really hard to get to. Also, bring one of those orange three-way splitters or some way to extend your power needs because the cabins don't really have a lot of spare outlets.

Are you going to be getting the wifi on the cruise? Watching movies you store on a device, fine, but don't really count on watching something over the internet. Cruise wifi is notoriously slow and they will not allow you to stream unless you buy the ultra expensive package.

Also, don't stay in your cabin at all times, get out and enjoy everything else. :)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

STONE COLD 64 posted:

im dragging you to the jerichruise

Honestly, I’ve thought about it. I bet it would be a hell of a lot of fun.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

LionArcher posted:

So if I also want GameCube ps2 games deck and to use on the tv the deck is way better than the 3 + right? Big price difference, but between handheld and the fact that it can plug into a keyboard and mouse and play Diablo 4 and age of empires… I’m tempted by the deck.

Especially if you get one of the newly discounted models.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

MarcusSA posted:

This or check Facebook marketplace or eBay because I’ve seen some 512s going for $250.

IMO the deck is probably the best cheapest solution right now.

That or a Xbox Series S with the $20 developer key.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

njsykora posted:

My one issue with the Series S thing is I don’t trust Microsoft to yank that functionality at any moment.

They could but that would really screw up their developer program. I think as long as you run it in that mode, you’re clear. It’s just trying to run emulators in retail mode that’s the issue.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
How many analog sticks did Nintendo sell for the N64 due to people grinding them to a nub with Mario Party?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Any new word on the Miyoo Flip?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Alucard posted:

Only thing I've seen is that they estimated march for first availability

https://retrododo.com/new-miyoo-mini-flip/

Take that with a bag of salt since they also haven't sent a test copy to retro dodo yet.

Thanks!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

greatBigJerk posted:

I had a Retron 5 that started sparking and almost caught fire. They might need a bit more quality control.:shrug:

Glad it didn't fry the game I had in at the time.

Sure it wasn’t just Blast Processing?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

No double sticks? Sold.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just started tinkering with the Pico-8 on my Miyoo Mini. Already bought the license, any suggestions for some fun quick games?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Thanks! I’ll check those out.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

flavor.flv posted:

And obviously Celeste and all the spinoffs

There appear to be a ton of those!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Oh drat, I didn't know this existed. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Not a console and haven't tried it out myself yet but apparently the Delta emulator is out on the apple app store instead of having to bother with installing it through altstore

It’s fine and works nicely so far.