Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

obi_ant posted:

Do I need to do any type of conversion to play games? Or do I just drop in the roms for the Retroid Pocket 2? I have a n3DS that I installed some homebrew on, but I'm not to happy with the interface and some of the conversions that I have to do (.gba -> .cia). I also didn't really like some of the emulator's menus, they're a bit clunky and didn't give me the option to have a list vs a bunch of icons for each game. I'm primarily interested GB, SNES and DS games.

It sounds like you just drop the ROM in the console folder on the memory card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrTC5aXLvMY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

I got mine shipped 4px and it shipped the 10th and I got it the 17th. I'm in Seattle so it doesn't have far to go once it has crossed the ocean.

I gotta admit I'm not loving the d-pad. Partly the lower placement feels awkward. I've only tried the AM2R that is on it and the d-pad feels stiff and the analog stick I can't just look up. As much as I try it is always running pointing diagonally up. I wish it was flat not concave. Hopefully it feels better with other games but so far it's a little disappointing.

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 21, 2020

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Rolo posted:

I’d probably buy another if they’d make an atomic clear purple.

Also, is there a simple program for cloning an image of mine? Now that I have the settings and rom lists perfect I’d like to hide a backup somewhere just in case I ever need to replace it (or I break the OS again.)

Tell them you want it. The last batch of new colors they said were in response to customer requests.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Sadly, I'm pretty convinced there is input lag on the RP2. I have only used RetroArch but I was playing Super Castlevania and it seemed a little harder than normal and I got to the screen below and died over and over. I'd just fall through the second platform. After trying, I would have to press jump just before I landed on the platform timed just right. I just tried it on zsnes with a Buffalo USB controller and that part played as I remembered it.

Also NES: Mega Man 6 was the first game I bought and I play through it to relax and some parts were tough and some bosses seemed impossible because it felt stiff. Some of it might also be the awkward feel of the buttons and d pad. But going back to the Buffalo controller and emulator made me wish the RP felt as nice as that. This might be an RPG machine for me and I haven't tested other consoles but it's sad to feel that it can't accurately play my favorites. It looks and sounds so good.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

I kept up with this thread years ago but lost track: I bought a Retroid Pocket 2 back when they were preorder and rarely used it due to input lag. I'm seeing the 3 and 3+ ads. Is this still inherent in the Android setup or is it better? I like the d-pad location on top instead of bottom that was a complaint about he 2 it had awkward grip when using it. The same style stick on both sides seems like a big improvement. Opposite corners and one raised felt weird. I really like the design and would love a portable handheld and I want to like the 2.

Anyone have experience with input lag with 3 or 3+? It made some simple platforming take trial and error when to press instead of what feels natural from playing on console. Castlevania IV has those green platforms that spin and drop you after you jump on them and the section with three of those over a pit took a while to know when to press to just get past that part.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

These ones? I actually played Super Castlevania IV not long ago on RP3 and didn't have any issues with it.

Thanks. Yep, never had any issue on console but that took multiple tries to figure out how early I needed to jump to make it across. NES Mega Man games were a much bigger challenge when they are usually the games I beat as enjoyment. Taking a chance on the 3+ and really hoping it feels better. I really wanted to like the RP2

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Booted up the RP2 for the first time in a while just to give it another shot. I opened Castlevania 4 and I also opened it in zsnes with a USB Buffalo controller which feels perfect to me for emulation. I jumped at the same time on both and RP2 was always slightly behind. Fingers crossed the 3+ fixes this in a way I can enjoy those kinds of games. If not, there are plenty of slower games I can play that that wouldn't matter but that was a disappointment first getting the 2.

I kinda like the retro boxy early Nintendo aesthetic of the 2 over the Switch Lite style 3 design but the controller layout and touch screen are big improvements.

Another dumb gripe is no matter how many times I try, it will never change the wallpaper. It will say "wallpaper set" when I select another then it just still is dolphins.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Another layer of nostalgia for my nostalgia. It works for me and the UI is pleasing.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

I've had the 3+ for about a week and so far really liking it. Mostly experimenting with Dolphin GCN emulation with mixed results. This is just the version that installed with the Retroid - is MMJR/MMJR2 a big step up? I'm getting pretty good results in Phantasy Star Online. Double Dash was stuttery but (mostly) playable. Any attempts to adjust the settings seemed to make things worse resulting in deleting the Config folder and starting over.

Do you know if I can copy over the memory card info from this version of Dolphin to MMJR/MMJR2? Is there a significant difference between the two MMJR versions for which I should go for? PSO is grindy enough I'd rather not have to redo all the time I've put in. Forest 1 was smooth but Forest 2 was chugging a little more so it might be better in MMJR(2).

3+ Feels so much nicer than the 2 and the touch screen alone makes it a much easier, elegant device to use. Feels more comfortable in the hand and the shoulder/trigger buttons feel much nicer. I ordered the grip which I think will help a lot with games that use the stick. It's a little cramped with nothing to grab onto while trying to use the L/R

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

hatty posted:

I’d like to see how strong that hinge is before I consider it. How well does the Retroid 3+ run N64 and Saturn? My 353M is kinda spotty with Saturn but is bad at N64

I've had mixed luck with 3+ and Yaba Sanshiro 2. It sounds like Saturn on Android isn't great but RetroArch has cores but I try not to deal with that and might be better. Games have either been playable with a few graphical glitches in the backgrounds or they stutter and freeze/crash after a few minutes. But the majority I've tried have been okay. If there is a specific game you are curious about I can try it out.

Dolphin MMJR is working best for me. Vulkan on the other two versions worked well but Double Dash had a dark blue filter during the race (but the graphic overlays looked normal). Turning down the emulated CPU speed got rid of some graphical glitches in other games so mostly happy. Copying over memory card files from one to the other version worked just fine. I've checked the community spreadsheets for 3+ games but it never really matches performance which is frustrating.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

how long does it take a retroid pocket 3+ to arrive at a location in the US? I shipped via 4PX if that makes any difference.

e: poo poo, nevermind, I just googled it. Takes about 2 weeks.

For what it's worth, I'm in Seattle and I ordered the grip and case afterward (got the 3+ earlier via DHL since it was already delayed a month shipping out) and the 4PX took 7 days. The original DHL shipment took 5 days.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

ProperCoochie posted:

Thinking about jumping into this world with a Retroid Pocket 3+. I haven't owned a console since my GameCube disappeared in 2008. I'm tired of playing on my PC, which is only ideal for RTS and wild bursts of multiplayer.

Is it best to order directly from their site? Does it really take 1 - 3 months to arrive?

I ordered the 3+ with DHL and the case and grip later with 4px (slow shipping option) and once they shipped it was about a week for each (DHL a little shorter - in Seattle so not sure how much that affects the time). I think the delays a lot of people complained about were delays at the start of the year with Chinese New Year holiday and I think some other production issues/shortages. It took a month for my order to ship ordered in February but that was just because of those problems and I don't think that it still happening. I'm guessing that 90 day shipping message is more for island/remote countries that take much longer to get to by slow boat.

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

dads_work_files posted:

I bought an RP2 back when they came out and the hardware was really cool but for some reason it had horrendous input lag, even on SNES games. Before I pull the trigger on a 2S, is that ironed out?

Huge improvement on the d-pad as well. The 2 had such a cheap feeling awkward d-pad + input lag made me barely use it. I have the 3+ but looks the same. The lower position of the d-pad on the 2 didn't help either for having a good grip.

I actually really like the start/select location on the 3+ at first I thought it was weird but playing Oracle of Seasons which requires pretty frequent equipment changes having that just within reach not needing to take hands off any other controls is really convenient. I wish there were two separate buttons for better tactile finding of the select.