Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I ended up getting the SNES looking one, but here's some real content:

I found a google doc for the retroid that has a bunch of games and the suggested emulator/settings to use in order to get the best performance. I'm still waiting the 15-90 years it will take for mine to sent from China, so I have no idea what the accuracy of this information is. Should be fun once we all get them and realize we've been fleeced by some scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

wandler20 posted:

How long can one expect this type of device to be supported/updated? I can't imagine too long.

I would be surprised any of these things were EVER supported/updated.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

There's some youtube videos showing game play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDJfi3CrmQ8
^^That guy's channel has a few including showing how lovely Conker's Bad Fur Day plays.

Supposedly this guy's videos are recorded from the retroid via a screen capture device (the retroid has an hdmi out so that seems plausible)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe7YOgx2vmblbEUUo-JgSnQ/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

And I bet you can find more on youtube.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Solid Cake posted:

Someone tell me which one to buy so that I can finally, finally play Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie (N64) on the go :homebrew: it has been my video game dream for the last two decades

Here's a guy playing Banjo Kazooie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRQik-3GFLo&t=113s

I'm taking this with a grain of salt though due to the fact that it's not a video of the console itself. :shrug:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I've been building my rom collection in anticipation of getting this thing and found this rom hack thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877134

I've never touched a rom hack before and some of the ones mentioned through the thread (I'm going through chronologically) are really cool.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Rolo posted:

Thanks for sharing, I didn’t know which Mother 3 version to get because I’ve never played it but that thread seems to answer that.

Here’s some announcements, in picture form! Get those pinch to zoomers out.

Another announcement made on Reddit is that they’re shipping out 600 boxes a day starting today. Bittersweet news is that they were bombarded with roughly 10,000 orders when the cool retro colors dropped.

drat 10,000/600 per day is 16.6 days, and that's if they're working 7 day weeks.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Quoting from the pyf purchases thread

Fors Yard posted:

Just FYI to all the people considering Retroids they just added a handful of new color choices

Slimy Hog posted:

Though ordering now means you will probably have to wait until Oct at the earliest to get it.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Rolo posted:

So I guess if something is shipping from China it’ll happen in the middle of the night in the US?

Should start seeing some shipping notifications soon.

I guess they're shipping out ~600 orders each day and notifications are ~1-2 days delayed, so we should see ours soon!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Oh drat! That's after I did! what color did you order?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Bogart posted:

e: and is there a system that can handle PS2?

Here's a spreadsheet that performs terribly:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1irg60f9qsZOkhp0cwOU7Cy4rJQeyusEUzTNQzhoTYTU/edit

In the "Performance" category anything with "⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💥" can play PS2, by a quick glance this means spending more than $300

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Anyone get their Retroid Pocket 2 yet?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Rolo posted:

I ordered my Indigo Retroid 2 on 8/24 and didn’t get any kind of notifications until just this morning. I got a text from DHL saying they have a box from HK on the way. It’ll apparently be here Friday.

Mine was shipped last Friday/Saturday and DHL said it would be delivered on Thursday, this morning I got a notification that it's out for delivery :dance:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Slimy Hog posted:

Mine was shipped last Friday/Saturday and DHL said it would be delivered on Thursday, this morning I got a notification that it's out for delivery :dance:

Dumb DHL says "nobody was home". Well I guess I have to wait until tomorrow.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

wandler20 posted:

So if I want to use a bigger memory card do I just copy the existing folders directly over to the new card?

Only if you want to use retroid os + their game "store".

Got mine! Now I'm just waiting on reset collection to... Scan or something

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Rolo posted:

Mine showed up 2 days early.

Somehow this thing got to me from HK in 2 days.

Yeah, DHL is super quick.

I'm really enjoying messing with this thing. I haven't done too much n64 stuff, but what I have (a romhack of SM64) was a bit wonky; everything else has run like a dream though!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Rolo posted:

The retroid app really is an easy way to dive in, but I think I’m going to take my time customizing this thing with a bigger card.

For one, I can’t get games to save with Retroid. Just save states, which is fine but my immersion!

I hear they're fixing the save game thing in the OTA update that's coming next month.

I popped out the card that came with it and immediately threw my own in there. I like having customization and don't want to play games then be locked into their ecosystem due to the encryption.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Rolo posted:

Can you set Retroarch to boot on startup?

From what I understand, you'll need a separate application to do this. This link was shared in the discord:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bh.android.TargetHomeLauncher&showAllReviews=true

but I have no idea how good/bad it is.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Rolo posted:

I’m getting no (noticeable) input lag now that I have Retroarch working again with the stock controller configuration. Only weird thing is Pokemon Sapphire. When I press a direction the character faces that direction and takes a split second to start walking towards it. Did the original game do that?

Same, I haven't experienced any input lag across NES, SNES, ps1, genesis or n64. I'm also not good at video games, so anything small wouldn't be something I noticed

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Ryguy005 posted:

About how days have you guys waited since ordering and paying for extra shipping to receive it?

Ordered 16bit Aug 21 and upgraded to DHL the 22nd.

DHL tracking number sent on the 11th then out for delivery on the 14th (actually delivered the 15th, but I think that's my local DHL's doing)

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Marx Headroom posted:

Yeah a hacked PSP slim/go will get you everything on that list except point c (nice form factor too), the batteries will be your downfall though

edit: I guess that doesn't really fit in with the third party theme of the thread, sorry
:frogdunce:

Ehh, I feel like this thread is low traffic enough that PSP chat could fit in here.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Tim Whatley posted:

Even I have to admit this Retroid Pocket 2 is not the easiest. I'm obv familiar with the Android side of things, but how do I load roms onto the RetroidOS side? It seems like the 30GB of roms they give you show up as just a bunch of encrypted files. Do I drop them in the games/download folder? I'm assuming the storage needs to live as external?

I don't use the retroid os side, but this should help:
https://wiki.retroidhandhelds.com/index.php?title=Getting_Started

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Tim Whatley posted:

What are you guys using for your RP2 setups if not Retroid OS? Retroarch seems decent, but should I use individual apps instead of cores?

So far retroarch for everything except n64, I use n64oid because mupen sucked for everything regardless of the settings I used.

EDIT:

I also use PPPPPPPSSSSSSPPPPPP or whatever for PSP and drastic for NDS. I haven't tried any GBA or dreamcast, but I hear flycast is good for the latter and there are a few options for the former.

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 25, 2020

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Rolo posted:

Can I get away with Pokémon black/white on a single screen and no touch? I assume I can rig a trigger to flash the screens back and forth?

Yeah, people recommend drastic and mapping that to a trigger. I'm not sure about that specific game, but you can find lists online of ds games that are okay to play with one screen.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

The Science Goy posted:

Honestly, a new Chromecast works really well. I think you can only get them from Google (doesn't seem to be on USA Amazon) but shipping was almost Amazon-fast for me. It does require a usb-c hub for any external storage (which is required as it only has 8GB onboard) and a ~30W PD usb-c power supply for some reason, so that brings the cost up quite a bit vs a Chromecast alone. Mine runs well with an Aukey 65W dual output supply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZNQ5ceYZMI

The new Pi 400 looks pretty slick, that youtube channel has multiple vids on using it or the Pi 4 for emulation. The Pi 4 and Pi 400 have a little more power than a Chromecast, as they can do GameCube and I believe the Chromecast cannot.

E: and as mentioned above, RetroPi has a super nice interface, certainly cleaner than the chromecastOS and RetroArch.

Oh drat, I gotta try this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Rolo posted:

I’ve noticed 0 input lag on my RP2 and outside of the initial learning curve it’s been amazing.

Build quality and performance have been exactly what I was wishing it would be.

Edit: more specific to your current post, I got mine specifically for GBA, SNES AND PSX. GBA took me finding a Retroarch core that it agreed with but both SNES and PSX didn’t take any work to run perfect.

Same here for me (though I've not tried any gba)