Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

obi_ant posted:

A user said it was probably drop and play. It would be great if it were because there are one too many steps for some of the home brew on my n3ds.
They usually are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

lol WELP I bricked my RP2. I somehow made the physical buttons not work on startup so I tried the reflashing tool and img recommended by Retroid, which crashed halfway through and now it’s black screen only.
That was quick

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I bought one in the recent sales, not sure when it will get here

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Got Half Life and 60FPS Super Mario 64 port on my 351p, very nice

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Meridian posted:

does the 351P handle PSX emulation any better than the 350M? Appreciate the help.
They are pretty similar, the 351p will perform better BUT the 350M is in the correct aspect ratio and has a better build quality.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah Android based devices can have input lag

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

Anyone here have an RG351? I’m thinking of getting one. The retroid 2 is great but I wanna swap the D-pad with the stick.
It's good.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Gotta wait for the next thing after the 351 for those I'd say

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The United States posted:

Close enough that you might as well hold out for the 351v now
only one analogue stick, looks good though

I have the 351p, gonna wait until the 352 or whatever the next gen is

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you're gonna wait I'd just wait for the next Anbernic thing

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

I didn’t realize that Analogue system was so popular. It looks cool but cartridges? Pass.
One of the main cool things about the Analogue system is that it uses hardware level emulation instead of software based

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LODGE NORTH posted:

If anyone is looking to sell their RP2, I am looking for a blue or "orange" one. https://blavity.com/its-time-to-hav...aArqLBhHX6cymd4
What's with the link?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i can't wait until the playdate preorders go up after a million years and it immediately gets sold out by scalper bots

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
bot still gonna scoop em all up i know it

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i love teenage engineering, wish i could afford an op1

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I love the concept honestly, it's pricey but I think it's worth it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Make sure you check your facebook marketplace, I got two 3DS XL + 16 games for $50

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd get the 3D version if you can but otherwise good yes

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lester Shy posted:

I think I'm gonna return my RG351P. It works great, feels good to hold and does exactly what it's supposed to, but it just murders my eyes; I really underestimated how small the screen is. I've been spoiled by the Switch and huge phones. It doesn't help that most of the stuff I want to play is text-heavy. I may just have to wait for the Steam Deck.

Must be getting old or something

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Martytoof posted:

If my goal is just to literally plug something into my TV so I can play PSX Final Fantasy Tactics with a bluetooth xbox controller, and I want to spend as little time customizing/setting up as possible, what is my go-to here? Retroarch on a RPI with bluetooth dongle?

Not interested at all in a long term solution to maintain, just want to play one game and then never touch this solution again.
Probably a cheap android tv box

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

The analogue pocket looks so good to me. I wish I had a reason to get one just to look at it but my 351V is really all I need until something cheap breaks into GameCube or PS2.

I don't think you could get an analogue pocket even if you wanted one, unless you paid a lot of money to an ebay scalper

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly a second hand DS and a flash cart would be pretty cheap

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Russ at Retro Game Corps is the best, I don't bother listening to anyone else

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

evilmiera posted:

Oh good, the day after I bought my device off AliExpress there's apparently a massive sale ramping up towards November for basically everything?

Always the way

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

otter posted:

I kinda want to get a vita again. I traded mine for a new 3dsxl and my kid destroyed it. I replaced it but still.
I somewhat want a pocket retroid 2, or one of these 351 devices.
I have been going through the following phases:
Oh I need a DMG01 (bought like 3, re-shelling them)
Oh I need a gbc (bought 2, need to fix)
Oh I need to swap the plastic lens for glass on my gba
Oh I need to re-shell this ds lite (sitting in my project box)
So now I’m at the point of wondering if you have a ds lite and gba flash card / ds flash card… is there a reason beyond nostalgia to play any of the other devices?

Also i decided that I hate using my switch as a handheld due to the shape of the joy cons.
Get a RG351M

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blotto_Otter posted:

Analogue just announced that they’re opening up preorders again for the Pocket on Tuesday, with a $19 price hike. (Monday is when they’re supposed to start shipping out the first round of preorders, so, uh, we’ll see how that goes)

https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1469336147922989061
But most importantly it's not limited number, if you want one you can order one (probably the best way to deal with scalpers that we have?)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

The Miyoo Mini is back up for sale.

$52

US $52.00 | MIYOO-mini Portable Retro Handheld Game Console 2.8 Inch IPS HD Screen Gaming Console for Player Machine Classic Gaming Emulator
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKAVRJe

I picked one up because :homebrew:
All gone now apparently

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mugsbaloney posted:

Why my 280v not play neo Geo? I looked up Adam image GitHub and it says that the files have to be zipped, and they are! Hmm I am too stupid to operate child's toy

Got the bios files?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Somebody made a neat tool where you can choose a retro system and a bunch of the popular new handhelds and it’ll show you how big it’ll look on the screen with integer or non-integer scaling.

https://shauninman.com/utils/screens/
Nobody acknowledged this so I just wanted to say cheers!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think I'd rather pay more for a better handheld

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What other windows handhelds are currently out there?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Valve really gave the competition a big leg up by delaying the steam deck

I don't think they gave them that much of a leg up, a poo poo load of people will buy it regardless

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

falz posted:

Sorry if this is a common request, but is there a generally agreed upon "best for $50" handheld? A friend wants one so his girl doesn't freak our on a flight, basically.

Ideally something that comes with a bunch of games and doesn't totally suck rear end, that's about it.

This one looks promising but seems to have poo poo reviews.

https://retro-bit.com/goretro-portable

No that thing is trash.

Get this:
https://powkiddy.com/products/powki...ift-3d-new-game

Or search powkiddy v90 on amazon

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

falz posted:

Sweet perfect. Is the q90 and stuff pretty much these same thing? If the GBA style clam isn't their jam that is.
The q90 is also great, it even has a bigger battery. It only has L and R shoulder buttons though as opposed to v90s L1 L2 and L1 R2 if that worries you/them.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

obi_ant posted:

Do you guys think that actual cool things will come out for the Playdate?

The Lucas Pope game will make it worth it on it's own :shrug:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Valve Steam Deck posted:

New Evercade model announced, replacing the old one

-WiFi (why?)
You wouldn't want wifi?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Valve Steam Deck posted:

I mean they've made charging stations for a while now

But if you already have the Anker USB multiport charger, yeah why not just use a file folder holder to organize them, looks like it works fine

The file holder looks more useful tbh

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Steam Deck seems like it is the best emulator machine on the market right now, shame you can't get one in Aus

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

23 Skidoo posted:

Ausgoon Decker chiming in with hopefully assistance -- StockX or eBay Worldwide listings; money and patience are key however.

Prices are coming down due to being readily available.

Noice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Voice of Labor posted:

what's the cheapest one of these things that will run playstation games well?

Get a vita, 5 minutes of "modding" and you can download PS1 games straight to the device