Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'm guessing the answer to my question is always going to be "wait for a new model or pricedrop" but is an Anbernic 351MP worth the money right now? And as a European what are my options other than AliExpress or hoping that I pick the right model from Amazons autotranslated mess?

I know I am probably going to hate myself if I get a device I can't emulate N64 games at a decent framerate on it, even though my main emulation is going to be stuff like Amiga, GB/GBA and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

N64 is a bitch-and-a-half to emulate to begin with, I don't think any of the current crop of affordable devices handle the library handily. And, at least in the US Ali or Amazon are your only good options. Reportedly most/all of the other storefronts are just dropshipping from Ali anyways.

Yeah, I just never bought anything off Ali and I presume I am going to get smacked with an import fee. As mentioned, I would grudgingly use Amazon but I legit feel like half the stuff on offer there is misleading in some way and I legit don't know why some devices cost more than others. Anbernics site on Ali at least gives me the right specs listed.

Like I said, probably won't even emulate N64 games for a while anyway, I just know I am gonna kick myself down the line once I realize I need a new device.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

njsykora posted:

If you’re in the UK, Ali will add on VAT at checkout. I assume it’ll do the same for taxes in the rest of Europe.

Yeah, luckily not in the UK, but thanks for the heads up. I suppose I could try the Spain delivery option.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Oh good, the day after I bought my device off AliExpress there's apparently a massive sale ramping up towards November for basically everything?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Thank you for your service. :patriot:

This scar right here? Got it in the Retro Wars of '21 fighting in the Express checkout.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yeah, saw that earlier. Shame, it looked cool, but I was half-expecting the first few devices out the door to have build issues. Specs seem ok for newer gen stuff, but I doubt I'll get it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Yo for $99 the Retroid Pocket 2+ seems like a clear winner.

What’s the catch?

Well it is a new device, so we haven't really had people properly try it out yet. Also, the retroid pockets always had at least some flimsy material about them before, from what I'd heard.

Or I'm just trying to persuade myself I made the right call by buying an Anbernic before a big sale :(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Having gotten my Anbernic and ArkOS installed, I am now working on trying to get Amiga games running. Apparently I need to rename a bunch of kickstart roms to run the bios properly, and set up a bunch of hotkeys to get a smooth experience?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Trying out the Anbernic for a bit more and noticing some of the sound is garbled or tinny at times. I'm not sure if its an emulator issue or a sound chip one though. Anyone else had a similar problem? I'm running ArkOS and Retroarch and I've mostly tried out SNES and GBA games so far.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

sethsez posted:

What cores are you using? Some are better than others (snes9x-2005 has really bad sound, for example).

Yeah, its only got the SNES9X and 2010 ones. I'll see if adding a few ones helps there. But I was noticing some issues on the GBA one as well, where it was just set to auto. I'll see about fiddling with that as well, though.

Edit: I THINK switching up the emulator cores did something positive at least. But its still just a SNES9x variant, so, any others you'd recommend for an anbernic specifically ?

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 6, 2021

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I am totally fine just getting a Steam deck probably for my next handheld. My current 351 Anbernic runs everything fine up until N64 stuff and if I wanna play GameCube my current PC does that more or less ok.

Still a bit surprised Anbernic screwed up this bad with their new iteration though.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Weedle posted:

i finally upgraded my 351m from the final build of arkos to the latest 351elec and wow it's a massive improvement. i honestly didn't know it could be this much better lol

What are the differences? My 351p works ok, but would love a significant positive change.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

remigious posted:

This is a very difficult hobby because every time I think I decide on what I want to get next, something else comes out! I really need to just not buy anything for like a year, there are still so many upcoming releases.
On another note, does anyone have any idea if the retroid pocket funtastic colors will be restocked? They’re so cute!

I mean at least you didn't buy a 351 and then just days later the same device went on sale.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

In terms of plastic quality, we can use metrics like "Super Nintendo" which is just great overall and then Gameboy which is just "Indestructible".

Down to measures like "Joycon innards" which break when you sneeze at them.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

How about "if you look at them wrong" then?

Look at this guy wanting to look inside machines, what a weirdo.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

njsykora posted:

If you got a dongle that worked you got lucky.

Yeah, mine absolutely did not. The only real issue I had with the device really. Besides the battery thing.

Think I might replace mine with a retroid 2 plus once those are easier to get a hold of. Give the Anbernic to my dad, loaded up with all the pinball games I can find.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

John Romero posted:

What battery thing? I’ve noticed that the battery has been running out pretty fast when I leave the thing on so it can scrape boxart

Yeah the battery performance is kinda lacking. There's also some issues with some of the original firmware not reporting battery levels accurately, though most people switch out the firmware and so on rather quickly.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh wow, those are not cheap

Yeah there's no way I am buying that unless it's like half off and even then that's probably way too rich for my blood.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PlesantDilemma posted:

I put in an order for an RG351P a week ago and nothing is moving on the tracking in AliExpress, it's not even listed as being picked up by the shipping company. I messaged the seller, I assume that's my only option right now. Hope this thing shows up I want to be playing fun old GBA games!

Yeah it's the New Years thing people mentioned. My stuff from Ali is only partially shipped despite being a combo because of this.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

njsykora posted:

It's not the same chip as the 351 line, I think it's a newer chip. Anbernic's model numbers I believe are screen size+chip so 503 would be 5.0 inch screen and whatever they have as the 3 chip). The video showed PSP performance at a point where I could see it running at full speed with custom firmware. My thought of it is that it's a side device to the 552 with a smaller screen and no fan.

If the price is right that might mean a sale for me. Absolutely against fans in my handhelds.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's a RK3566 so it's better than the 3326 in the 351 line but not on the level of the 3599 in the 552 (aaaah numbers). Also still only 1GB of RAM so it's not like Android is going to be good on it either.

Isn't RAM dirt cheap? Why not just make it 2-4 Gigabytes at this point? Lack of space?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

coconono posted:

yeah so far nothings really wowed me as much as the RP2+ at that pricepoint.

I wanna check out some of the higher end windows handhelds like GPD/Odin/Steamdeck but availability is iffy and will continue to be.

anyway, PM me if you wanna offload your junk.

The problem of course being that it genuinely is extremely hard to get a RP2+ without waiting for several months, much like a Steam Deck. I would probably put in an order myself if not for that issue.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

njsykora posted:

Yeah Russ mentioned that in his video, some license deal with the chip manufacturer where Anbernic can’t actually release how to work with it for a few months.

So this one is going to flop in sales because it can't actually be improved until way after initial interest wanes?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Not really sure what to make of the RG503.

It’s ok I guess? Seems kinda meh though tbh.

I don’t like the look of it that’s for sure.

Short answer: With some tweaks and additions it could've been great. As is, it's mediocre compared to it's competition.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Valve Steam Deck posted:

This is hilarious

I'm the black laser coming out of the oversized console, resting perfectly on that guy's arm.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Wicked Game Collector looks back at the other third party retro console that started it all, the Dingoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoCwp0dvAn0

Yes this entire mini industry but especially anbernic have been able to get as far as they have because of emulators and operating systems developed and ported by the community. Anbernic made nothing but Dingoo clones and Odroid Go Advance clones for years and that's how they got where they are.

Taki has shilled as hard for anbernic as he has for anyone else, so whatever anbernic's reasons for blacklisting him, they don't get the benefit of the doubt here

Yeah, without Taki's reviews I probably would not have bought my 351P.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well, this is annoying. I've tried several different isos, tried switching to amberelec, tried new bios files but I still can't play PS1 games on my Anbernic 351p. It just refuses to do anything after I start it up.

In earlier attempts I could at least get to the boot up and playstation intro sequence.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

CFox posted:

What file format are you using? Personally I've always used CHDs and never ran into any issues.

Ah, I was using ISOs, that is probably it. Gonna give it a try.

Edit: Yeah, that works. But I get the feeling I was just being impatient with the ISOs. I know for a fact it didn't work no matter what I did before switching to Amberelec before, though. Waited for ages to get that going.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 22, 2022

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Walla posted:

I didn't order the RP3 because I just bought the RP2+. It's good to be a late adopter sometimes. :)

It's almost always good to be a late adopter. You have a chance to see issues fixed, you get to hear about problems with the device, etc. Only problem is when the devices are really good and run out early

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 19, 2022

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Rolo posted:

I really hope the 3rd party handheld console scene keeps taking off. I want competition to give me something smaller than the Deck but more powerful than the Switch. With Windows. And other stuff!

Give me something as big as a RG351p but it can somehow run all current gen console stuff. Like, a day after the next gen of mainstream consoles gets released, preferably.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Photex posted:

Feel like I should just buy a steam deck and sit on it, once the chips run out I can't see anything replacing it for awhile

If mine hadn't either been stolen or lost, I would be using it every time I had a break at work. It was great for a ton of gaming

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

HiredGun posted:

I ordered an RP3+ and it's hopefully getting delivered next week. Apparently there was a recent OTA update that boosts performance quite a bit so if you have one, make sure you update it.

How much does it boost it by? It was already fairly powerful.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Doctor Hospital posted:

Thinking 130 USD including shipping.

eta: It's also got a screen protector on, and it also has a 256gb sd card in it, so I'd just throw that in.

Where are you shipping from? Since my Steam Deck got stolen I've been pondering a new device.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Doctor Hospital posted:

I'd be shipping from Georgia. I may be able to ship to Canada for a little extra, but within the US would be ideal.

Ah, I'm in Europe, would be a bit difficult then. Thanks anyway!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Maybe they're talking about the Switch Pontoon, that's pretty heavy. We can all go Retro gaming on our boats now, isn't that grand?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

njsykora posted:

I don’t think that’s ever going to happen, the early comments from Gaben about the Deck price made it pretty clear it was as cheap as they could get it.

Prices go down over time for similar hardware, so it isn't impossible. But I think the feedback most people gave was they wanted more power and better battery life and were willing to pay for it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Rolo posted:

Not too applicable to this thread but it gets talked about a lot: the Steam Dork is on sale, the upper tier model being 20% off.

After having mine stilen a while ago I refuse to get a new one until there's a Steam Deck 2.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Unity's new input mapper is meant to take care of that kinda crap but I have no idea if Mihoyo are using it or the old one still

Did the new version also fix Unity games' massive memory leak issues and save game troubles?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

otter posted:

I installed onion and then none of my games will launch. They act like they’re going to and then they don’t. What the hell did I do wrong?

I have a friend with this EXACT issue so if you find out lemme know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

otter posted:

I installed onion and then none of my games will launch. They act like they’re going to and then they don’t. What the hell did I do wrong?

Did you resolve this issue btw?