Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

zzMisc posted:

Who doesn't want save syncing?

I only have 3 systems right now (RG353P, N3DSXL, Switch), and play different games on each, so save syncing isn't too important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

drrockso20 posted:

Can never have too much storage

Still amazes me sometimes how cheap storage has gotten, I remember back in high school even a 8gb flash drive was like 20 bucks and in the late Windows XP to early Vista era they weren't always the most reliable things

Sigh. I remember the 20MB 3.5" hard drives. So much better than the floppy disks. :corsair:

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Saoshyant posted:

Video Games > Third Party Retro Consoles: shots of shelves of handhelds that are powerfully erotic

Also:

"Exquisite appearance, comfortable feel, let you fondle admiringly"

jkq
Nov 26, 2022
Is it an Odin Pro still a good value these days? I'd like something with decent battery life so I don't have to keep recharging it all the time, and at least a 16:9 720p screen so that I can stream PC games to it.

I already have a RG353P to cover the lower power 4:3 stuff.

Thanks!

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

MarcusSA posted:

My only issue with the Odin are the small thumb sticks and the button layout.

Do you mean the select/start location?

MarcusSA posted:

Also if it’s steaming only you can get away with something cheaper and less powerful.

I was hoping to play non-streaming games on it too. PSP for sure, maybe PS2. The RG353P can play PSP, but the aspect ratio is wrong so the screen ends up being too small.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

MarcusSA posted:

Na the a b x y uses the Nintendo layout so if I’m streaming from my pc it fucks with me.

Oh. Hmm. Would rebinding controls on either the PC or the handheld help with that? The last couple of games I played on PC with a controller, I had to rebind the controls anyways, since I didn't like the default layout.

MarcusSA posted:

If you could find a cheap Logitech g cloud that would be a good solution.

Yeah, great job there with the pricing, Logitech. :ughh:

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Rinkles posted:

what are the pros and cons of linux versus android? what do most people prefer?

If 3rd party firmware is available, Linux gets more updates (newer versions of emulators, occasionally new emulators supported).

My RG353P doesn't get any more Android updates, and I think one the past updates made the SD card stop working (it works in Linux, so it's probably a software problem). My Odin 1 is stuck on Android 10, which may eventually cause a problem for installing apps from Google (and I think Yuzu is 11+, though there's a modded version available).

jkq
Nov 26, 2022
Does Citra Android have a way to set per-game config, like the screen layout?

When I touch-and-hold on a title, it brings me to a screen for entering cheats.

I'm using a version from ~last week's git.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Bummer. Thanks for the link!

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

The 7th Guest posted:

the lack of individual settings for some emulators is why I tend to look at ps2/gc/3ds emulation as what I can run without issue out of the box, and then the rest is dumpstered. i don't want to be constantly going into the settings every 30 seconds to tweak and check and tweak and check (which is what I was doing with Grandia 3)

Doesn't Dolphin have per-game settings though?

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

:patriot:

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

shyduck posted:

I've had an ongoing issue with my 353P where sometimes the battery percentage doesn't report correctly in Linux (JelOS). Booting to Android and letting it fully charge seems to remedy this.

Genuinely curious - why keep it running JELOS? I'm running GammaOS on mine.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

shyduck posted:

I honestly haven't put too much thought into it. I just went with JelOS out of the box because it just seemed like the thing to do. I'll give Gamma a shot though.

deong posted:

Different chip etc, but I kept it on ArkOS. I saw JelOS exists for it.. is there a good breakdown of what different OSs bring to the party?
I couldn't really see much difference with the different Linux options.

GammaOS is Android, with somewhat less manual setup than the stock Android. It pre-installs the Daijisho launcher and IIRC has some defaults configured for RetroArch.

I've never tried ArkOS. I like Android over JELOS because I have Android on my other handheld (Odin 2), and I can keep the setups largely the same between the two.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

bravesword posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent case for the Odin 2?

If you can find an Odin 1 case anywhere, those work pretty good. The Odin 2 with the TPU shell fits pretty snugly in there. And the Odin 1 fits nicely in the 2's case. :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Rinkles posted:

Lol it is the vita

Based on the ABXY locations, it's probably going to be a x86_64 machine?