Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the rg351p has been cool. i wish n64 emulation wasn't a shitshow but i can at least play banjo kazooie. and certainly there's plenty of other systems that run fine so i'll just stick to what works best on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

beer gas canister posted:

:yeah: I've had a blast with the 351p for the last couple of months, it's great. I see why people have more than one though, a larger screen for SotN and other home consoles would be nice. Hopefully the Steam Deck pushes these companies to keep innovating
as it stands it seems like the rg552 is more trying to chase the Pocket 2+, and i wouldn't be surprised if there are a few 552 variants like the 350/351 got

anyway. i know the joke about homebrewers is they load a bunch of roms on their device and then never use it, but i've already beaten 4 games on mine (OFF, Nebs n Debs, The Lost Night, Celeste Classic 2) and I'm going to actually play/beat some JRPGs on it. having FFWD for ps1 emulation makes a big difference in me playing through something like Persona 2. and being able to play Adventure Game Studios games on it is kind of counterintuitive but neat at the same time, so I might use it for whatever Wadjet Eye's next game is

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i ultimately went with the rg351p because the RP2+ seemed like it was gonna take a while to ship. like the website still says 'preorder' and that deliveries will take 35 days before even starting to ship. the anbernic got to me within just 4 days

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

is it smart to keep upping the display/res on the same underpowered chip? i'm not sure what's going to be able to take advantage of that larger screen and widescreen ratio, especially if PSP is still a struggle for it (i guess the Shovel Knight port would look good). still, the vita OLED was cool

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

am I missing something, the page literally says 20211122. all they did was change the name

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

zzMisc posted:

Because as we all know the most successful companies are those who work the hardest against their own interests. I mean it's not like it's the reviewer whose job it literally is to be objective or anything.
a reviewer's job is not 'literally to be objective' so I don't know if I'm missing something here

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

njsykora posted:

Heh I didn't even see that old chestnut of reviewers need to be objective in that wall of text meltdown.
i didn't think people still regurgitated that here

i like the RG351 but i have no brand loyalty, if they stink as a company or AYN stinks or whatever, i'll just go wherever my interests take me (which currently is the Steam Deck, but since mine is being replaced right now, I'm back on the 351 for now). making accusations of agenda or bias in such a niche area of gaming like this is really silly -- but even so, reviewers are allowed to have preferences!!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

a 1GHZ Celeron?? is it a packard bell computer from 2003

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CodfishCartographer posted:

Anyone know of a way to run RPG Maker games on an RP2+? I imagine it's powerful enough to run them. There's quite a few I wouldn't mind trying out, and it seems like the perfect platform for them
I think there’s an Android RPG Maker runtime though I’m on my phone at the moment. There’s also EasyRPG for playing older RPGM games like OFF and Space Funeral

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

flavor.flv posted:

GPD appears to have closed all its official online storefronts and its indiegogo account, so that's interesting
GPD Loss

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yeah i'll probably be emulating on the deck in the future. at the very least ps2, gamecube and wii games

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i ordered an indigo Flip off of amazon. if the hinge cracks, like everyone on reddit claims happens to every single device... i will just ignore it until the screen falls off completely and would have to return it, as is the way i am with all electronics/computers

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the flip is here and it is good. although i haven't fully set it up yet, i still have to go through each emulator and program those two buttons so i can actually back out of a game without having to force close lol (besides retroarch i mean)

but naturally after i got most of my stuff on there... i installed and played octopath champions of the continent instead. which runs! it runs and works fine on the flip! except that the touch controls were designed in a brilliantly cruel way to prevent an easy button mapping solution (we're talkin menus appearing at various places on the screen, movement via swipe gestures, etc)

i did play a bit of Final Fantasy Chronicles: My Life as a King, which does work, and it's amazing that a small lil retro handheld can run a Wii game at near full speed. though the framerate does dip a little bit whenever a building is being constructed. still!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

njsykora posted:

HTC didn't go out of business, they just fell deep into the trend chasing hole after everyone caught up to them and flailed themselves into irrelevance. Last I heard they were doing crypto phones and VR headsets with zero awareness of what the rest of the market is doing.
they're basically the last company still unironically talking about the metaverse in all their marketing

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

otter posted:

They have a tendency to multiply.
I have a 351p, RG552, RGB20s, X7Plus, SF2000, miyoo mini plus, and a whole stack of other ones I cannot remember the names of.
And I use my Logitech G Cloud more than all the others combined.

edit: I haven't even opened the plastic on my new Analogue Pocket (transparent red). I forgot I got that. I really need stands to put them on display.
i talked myself out of getting a 35XX just for when I go on walks, because I have the flip already

when they're so relatively cheap you can talk yourself into all sorts of handheld purchases for niche uses

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

anbernic's got a sale happening starting tomorrow

RG405M - $145
RG405V - $120
RG505 - $120
RG353M - $118
RG353P - $103
RG503 - $94
RG353V - $91
RG353PS - $72
RG Nano - $46
RG35XX - $45

and so is retroid

Retroid Pocket 2S - $99 (4+128GB)
Retroid Pocket 3+ - $135
Retroid Pocket Flip - $145

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i dont like the bezel on it imo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mem posted:

I picked up both of the evercade super pockets for my son and myself along with a couple of carts that had games I'm interested in. I think the 2.8" screen is pushing it for my old man eyes. It's a nice looking ips screen but it's just too damned small. Might have the wife get me an evercade exp for Christmas.

They are probably too small overall to play comfortably for long periods of time as well - although I murdered an hour playing Bubble Bobble with no complaints. Haven't tried anything with the shoulder buttons though.
a ton of these horizontal slab devices just do not appeal to me for that reason, the lack of comfort holding them. you have fingers hanging below the device, there's nothing to grip, just flat hard edges, bleh. that's why i've debated the 353PS at times because of the rounded edges and the slightly larger size, or the X55 for the grips and the switch-esque size, but i think ultimately I'll just wait and do Odin 2 at some point when it's a little less shipping constrained

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Well the 2S would’ve been almost twice as much via Amazon.
yeah that's the big issue. the markups are at least $30-40. the X55 is $135 on Amazon for example, the RG353PS and VS are $120, Odin Pro is $300 (vs $200 on AYN's site), etc

it just comes down to whether you're willing to pay that extra amount to get it shipped to you faster (and easier returns)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the screen mapping on the flip is useful for android games but it's pointless if you're only using the handheld to play emulators

i might put genshin impact (or honkai star rail) on it at some point and so the screen mapping would be useful for that i imagine

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i keep having to stop myself from getting an x55 or 503 just because the ergonomics look way better than any other device from PK or Anbernic, but they're obviously underpowered compared to my Flip. i wish PK and Anbernic had more devices that weren't slabs. i like the Flip as something pocketable and that i can easily plug into the TV, but i'd love a grippy handheld for bed gaming like my Steam Deck and Switch w/ Hori Pro

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEr_Pjsb_iQ

Taki Udon also posted a video coming away impressed and felt the stock OS was actually much improved and currently better than the day 1 GarlicOS release

main difference is the added wifi & bluetooth, better d-pad, and support for some N64, Dreamcast and PSP titles (Taki compared it to the RK3566 chip performance)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 28, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the grey 353ps rules, aesthetically

the frankenstein approach of snes controller shell and GB DMG bezel and button colors is the best. i hope they do a 355 or 356

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Russ' retro handheld recap for 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWrPCeFXv1s

Of course the Odin 2, Retroid Flip, RP2S, and RG Arc come out on top. Russ still likes the X55 as the top sub-$100 option.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

njsykora posted:

Retroid are teasing the Pocket 4 on Facebook to be out around Christmas.

It’s nice of the claw hand mom to give a retroid to her one-legged son

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they should make another weirdly bulky one like the 503 but with a good chip, but still having those back curves instead of the straight slab

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsCjvo-jIU0

russ still really likes it, but would only recommend buying it at $200. currently the cheapest it is, is $270 on amazon for a refurbished model

- great combination of ergonomics, screen size and resolution
- gamecube emulation has improved a bit, GC/PS2 performance is better than T618 (Retroid 3+/Flip/RG405M) but worse than the Odin Lite. you'd be running PAL roms and settings tweaks/hacks on this at 1x resolution for full speed, 55-60% compatibility
- key mapping and video out are available for the device now
- still uses fat32 for the SD slot so you can't put 4+GB files on a card, which of course impacts PS2/GC
- PSP @ 4X pretty much perfect, some exceptions like GOW:CoO which runs full speed @ 2X. PSP (in his opinion) is the ideal system to play on this
- 12 hours of battery life, based on switching back and forth between cloud gaming and heavy duty emulation

that it still costs $300 by default just isn't in parity with devices like the Odin Lite and Retroid Pocket 4 which are $150-200. $300 can get you the base Odin 2 which is basically A+ emulation for everything currently available on Android, and also has the great battery life

it's still really tempting to me though just because it has those great grips and it's 33% lighter than the Steam Deck. but i'm not in any hurry to get one unless it drops to $200 or below

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yeah i've seen they have open box models on ebay. i'm still going to wait on amazon because of the ease of shipping/returns

but also because I still have the Retroid Flip and I should really get my money's worth out of that first or else I'm just contributing to the eWaste problem

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mystes posted:

I feel like also, the cheaper/smaller devices fill a niche, but once you get up to the size/cost of something like that there probably is less reason for it to exist compared to the steam deck
I tentatively agree but the Steam Deck is pretty heavy and gets irritating to hold after a while, particularly in bed. which hasn't stopped me from using it all the time anyway, but it makes my elbows sore and my arm will fall asleep sometimes depending on how i'm laying down

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Most important thing for me is ergonomics. SD would be perfect if not for the weight. Odin has appealed to me but seems like it would not fully fit the hands like the 7” devices do. In Russ’ review of the 1 and Lite for example I think he mentioned his pinkies hanging off the device.

I also lost my job last week so I am not in a hurry until my income is stable again.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Froist posted:

I guess it all depends on hand size. For me the Odin is chef-kiss perfect and the Deck is “power through anything the others can’t” as I don’t have a capable gaming PC. It’s been weeks since I touched the Deck (bounced off Cyberpunk when it was last on sale) while I’ve used the Odin daily.
do you have the original odin, the lite or the new 2?

e: looking at retrosizer it just seems kinda small to me, like it's the size of a switch lite.. and i usually use my regular switch with hori split pad pro for hand comfort

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 16, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

another disgusting slab for the slab lovers....

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

too many tiny devices, not enough giant ones

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

flavor.flv posted:

There's only so much room in the market for steam deck competitors
hear me out: it's big, and it's comfortable, but it doesn't weigh 500 pounds...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hatty posted:

The Wii U tablet was great
unironically yes

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i don't think there is android wii u emulation currently. it's a known absence from even the Odin 2

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they should just make a Xenoblade Chronicles X emulator like how there's the PrimeHack fork of dolphin

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

IGG pre-launch page is up, no price yet but it's probably going to be very expensive. 7" 120hz screen feels like overkill for the DS form factor. honestly it looks kinda ugly to me

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i keep waffling between getting the x55 or the G Cloud or the Odin 2, except that i don't buy anything because i'm unemployed lol. maybe by the time i'm employed the g cloud will see another informal price drop on amazon. ergonomics trump anything else for me, with the Steam Deck constantly reminding me of how heavy it is whenever I play it in bed. my elbows hate me right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Russ didn’t really sell me on it.

He did sell me on the Odin 2 though lol that looks great.
my only concern with the odin 2 is that the base unit keeps selling out and i'm not spending more on the pricier units. but also that it's slightly smaller than a switch, because I already need Hori Split Pad Pros to hold a Switch comfortably (which end up making the Switch as wide as the Steam Deck). it looks like the curvature of the handles is decent on it, but I do wish we had more 7" devices without them skyrocketing into handheld PC pricing. i need a lighter emulation device sidekick to the Deck!! someone just take the Wii U gamepad shell, stick a 7" screen and the RP4P chip in it, and then call it the Anbernic RG706P or whatever