Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I keep thinking about buying one of these types of things but every time I look into it like 20 new devices have come out in the past month and I just give up trying to pick one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

hmm maybe I'll wait for this and probably by the time it's released something even cooler and better will have been announced and I can just repeat the cycle

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like the ram probably isn't that important for this kind of device but how much better is the cpu in the pro?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Infinitum posted:

I'm honestly considering grabbing a Powkiddy X55 + RGB30 combo now.

Get a decent widescreen device, a baller 1:1 device, both run JELOS... and then if I'm still in a space where I want a more mid-range device I can just grab the Pocket 4 when it hits and they remember Clear Purple for a shell :v:
planning on buying all the devices is certainly an interesting solution

mystes
May 31, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

If you want a emulation device to hook up to the tv it doesn’t get cheaper

https://x.com/carygolomb/status/1735648797017911322?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA
I'm seeing $269 so maybe it was a price mistake they correctly quickly

mystes
May 31, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

it's still really tempting to me though just because it has those great grips and it's 33% lighter than the Steam Deck. but i'm not in any hurry to get one unless it drops to $200 or below
https://www.ebay.com/itm/314916579122

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like also, the cheaper/smaller devices fill a niche, but once you get up to the size/cost of something like that there probably is less reason for it to exist compared to the steam deck

mystes
May 31, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Smart people are going to wait for the RP4+ Pro :smaug:

They can't fool me with the "oh we are releasing a Pro model so you don't think there will be a plus model in 4 months". I've been on this rodeo before.
rp4xx plus

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess theoretically they could run flash games via ruffle?

mystes
May 31, 2006

STONE COLD 64 posted:

https://store.analogue.co/

black and white analogue pockets are back in stock. $220.
drat they're really taking the original Gameboy emulation too far

mystes
May 31, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Review copies of the Retroid Pocket 4 are hitting people today, so expect some videos shortly

Looking like Wii's, expectedly, no issue on it.

I decided to hold off and now I kind of wish I had ordered it. Is that the pro or the normal one?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like for 25% more you might as well get the pro but then again it pushes it kind of close to steam deck territory, god I'm so loving indecisive

mystes
May 31, 2006

EVGA Longoria posted:

Rendering at 640x360 is a pretty solid way to make anything significantly less demanding, and the Switch is already pretty undemanding.
plus it's not even that different from the native resolution on many of these devices. if the retroid pocket 4 pro had a 640xwhatever screen but otherwise the same specs I bet people would still buy it, so being able to play a few popular switch games at that resolution isn't bad at all

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 7, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

Dude you even have all rhe controllers. I just want to know how big is your gaming area in your man cave.
It's like one of those movie scenes where someone hits a switch and all the panels on the walls flip around to reveal an assortment of guns but it's all controllers

mystes
May 31, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

Powkiddy RGB10MAX3 has a preorder price of $70. It looks like it already has JELOS support too.
where is it $70?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thanks. I've spent too much time looking at devices and I don't think I want to splurge for a retroid pocket 4 right now and that that seems extremely good for $70 so I guess I might go for it

mystes
May 31, 2006

repiv posted:

russ gamecorp posted his video on the $70 powkiddy
I ended up ordering one yesterday so I'm glad that it seems to be pretty decent

mystes
May 31, 2006

repiv posted:

the problem is they couldn't make an actual switch much smaller than the switch lite, so going any smaller would mean returning to a split market where handheld games are their own thing, and i dunno how much appetite there is for that anymore
I think the 3ds was pretty popular with kids for most of its life so there might be demand for it but I doubt they could get 3rd party developers to make games specifically for another lower powered handheld in 2024. The switch is probably the bare minimum to allow porting games from other platforms.

mystes
May 31, 2006

flavor.flv posted:

I wish there was a switch lite that could still plug into a dock. Actually, not a dock, make it like that genki thing. Something I can throw into my purse to play some jackbox at a friend's house
I mean there's no technical reason for not allowing the switch lite to dock and they just did it to not cannibalize sales of the normal one, right?

mystes
May 31, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think there is plenty of market for a sub $100 kid device.

Something in the shape and price of the 35xxH with no sd card slot and play download games only. Open all GBA/SNES games for purchase, and port selected DS and Switch 2D games on it (like the Celeste type of modern 2D games).

This goes back to Nintendo philosophy of trying to tight control everything even though they can expend their market if they loosen up control of their old ip. It's very easy to offer something better than emulation handhelds, just add trophies to the old games. Wait Nintendo doesn't have a trophy system? What the gently caress.
For nintendo, I think it's simply not worth the effort for them to have developers spending time porting games to a weaker device if it would just result in less sales of the switch lite, and for 3rd party developers of games like celeste, it might not be worth it to support nintendo at all if the market was split between two devices which would require double the work to support (maybe more because the weaker the hardware, the more changes the games would require compared to other platforms)

Emulation is easier but why would nintendo want to launch a new platform that causes people to just play classic games with a cheap subscription rather than buying their new games for $50 each?

I think the 3ds made sense at the time because there was less competition so it was possible to get 3rd party developers to make games specifically for it, but nowadays with the existence of smartphones and the switch, it simply doesn't make sense for nintendo to make a separate portable console.

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 4, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Substandard posted:

I wish every one of these more powerful handhelds didn't have android. I'd much prefer a linux base. Surely they have to be powerful enough to run batocera at this point.
A lot of the companies making socs for smartphones, which is what this type of devices is using, just have no interest in supporting linux and don't have linux drivers.

The less powerful ones may actually be more likely to support linux because they're being sold for applications other than smartphones.

mystes
May 31, 2006

njsykora posted:

they clearly think they have something to overturn precedent if they're taking this shot.
I don't think it works that way

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm surprised that Yuzu had $2.4 million lying around to pay in a settlement and they still decided to settle immediately despite previous cases concerning emulators

I'm inclined to believe this means there were reasons they knew they were hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh you lost (device)? Well that's completely obsolete now that (other device) has been announced anyway

I got my RGB10MAX3 and it's decent? I don't have much to compare it to and I've mostly been playing nes games so far so I haven't really tested it extensively. I will say that the d-pad isn't great. The screen and formfactor are pretty good though.