Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
We are in a frontier area with the only subjects of Kyros being military or their support people. I'm sure in the heartlands of the empire, the secret police are way more prominent and 2 out of 3 people are informants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Zengetsu posted:

I mean, that's one possible angle. The other possible angle is that all of the other people are stuck in the Neratmind with the Pedo which and being constantly bombard with creepy pedo thoughts that horrify them.

No way to know without a better understanding of how that weird mishmash of a hivemind works. They definitely seem to be able to take and give information between the various "personalities", even against said personality's will, which is honestly a sort of "Jesus Christ, What the gently caress" thing in and of itself. Get your soul eaten, have all your secrets stripped away to be used to betray those you care about, and then get constantly bombarded by just the worst sort of intrusive thoughts as the worst sort of people force their weird perversions and hosed up thoughts into your "mind", such as it is.

Yeah, there is a reason why being captured and fed to Nerat is considered a fate far worst then death.

Cythereal posted:

One thing I am very grateful for, Tyranny shies away from sexual violence even when you'd probably assume it of the setting.

From what I remember of my play through, there are a few mentions of sexual violence. They were somewhat oblique and I don't think there were more than 2 or 3 instances. One example, a member of disfavored saying something like, "We need slaves to pull our wagons, and warm our beds." Basically, enough to confirm that yes, it does take place. However, the devs has enough sense not try to make it part of the game.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
How do Lantry or Sirin get the torchkey? I assume Sirlin just uses her voice control.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Lowfyr doesn't randomly betray his assets, usually. He might, but typically doesn't. The reason working for him is terrifying is because he eats you if you betray him or fail. Furthermore, once you have his attention, you're pretty much working for him permanently, the only likely exit is death. You don't actually know you are working for him until you are in too deep to ever leave.

It's pretty clear that getting consumed by Nerat is a fate worse than death.

PetraCore posted:

If anything, I think it's been implied that having Nerat do anything inside your head is extremely painful and that's an inherent part of the process. Even if he could put information or commands inside your head, I dunno that I'd call it a desired shortcut.

At least with Fifth Eye, there is an implication that Nerat's "gift" involving replacing part of the casters mind with Nerat's own.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
So, if I understand this correctly.

The Disfavored attacked the settlers for being in violation of Kyro's law, and Telesophia got knocked out. The Woundkin ordered the her strung up until dead from starvation and exposure as punishment for trying to kill everyone. Except, Ashe's Aegis prevents her from dying. Except she wouldn't die of starvation anyways, because she and the settlers are now friends, and they are feeding her. They are feeding her despite the settlement as a whole being borderline starving. The only reason they aren't letting her down is that they don't want to upset the Woundkin. However, the Woundkin evidently don't mind settlers feeding her, or murdering large numbers of Woundkin for that matter.

On that subject Insipid Moniker is secretly taking large numbers of Woundkin out of the settlement in the dead of night when everyone is asleep and the Woundkin who go with her never return. Why are the Woundkin voluntarily going with her? Who knows. Notably, the game already established that the settlement is in an underground cave system that doesn't even have a day night cycle. The most important event, bane attacks, can happen at anytime so the settlers make a point of having a portion of the settlement awake and on guard at all times.

Aside from being bizarrely disjointed, the thing that most stands out to me about the DLC is how tonally inconsistent it all is. The whole thing about Telesophia being chummy with her executioners seems like something written to play for laughs, a bit of Edward Gorey style macabre humor. However, the game plays it completely straight. I can't figure out what is the intention of the writing, at all.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are Beastpeople supposed to be majority female? Or someone on the art staff really likes drawing beast-tits

I assume they are just strongly matriarchal, so the beastwomen NPCs that are important enough to talk to tend to be female.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

bewilderment posted:

Graven Ashe resorts to straight up genocide if the local population gives him any trouble, and the rebels talk about "Disfavored labor camps".

Ashe's plan if he gains control of the tiers is to enslave the population, work them to death, and distribute the now depopulated lands to his soldiers. Genocide isn't his plan B in case of rebellion, but plan A for when he is in charge. Lebensraum for the Northern people and all.

As utterly repugnant as Nerat is, you can see why large portion of the Tiersmen side with him. A chance for the most cruel and sadistic is better than no chance at all.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Even without the Fatebinder casting an edict, the empire is already heading for a huge stress test. The thing being fought over is always control of the treasury, or more broadly the resources distributed by a superior above and, in turn, used to pay off subordinates below. For the last 400 years, the coffers in Kyros' regime haven't been filled by a well run and diverse tax base, but spoils of war. Invade neighbors seize what they have of value and then distribute the loot, slaves and lands captured to key supporters. Wash, rinse, repeat. With the Tiers being the last major bit of real estate not in the empire, entire system is in jeopardy, for lack of a way to finance itself.

Dictator's handbook is pretty clear one of the most important techniques for maintaining power is to brutally purge no longer needed supporters, regardless of how important or loyal they may have been in the past. And if the now unneeded subordinates happen to be a former enemy of questionable loyalty and a total unpredictable loose cannon, so much the better.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 20, 2021

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

: Give it a try then. Redeem me.

I'm really curious to see what this is. We know Barik's dad is a dishonorable rear end in a top hat who cheated on his wife and abandoned Verse. We know Ashe was a gutless coward who sacrificed scores of his men to postpone his death slightly.

: I would appreciate that.

My guess is we're supposed to believe that these guys talked a better game than they actually performed and that some value is in their words.

I like this bit. It's not really about Cleo at all, she is just using the old educator's technique of teaching someone by having them explain a thing to you. Barik has never had to think for himself or develop his own moral compass in his entire life. He is working though de-conditioning by developing his own personal philosophy which is effective precisely because Cleo is having him take these steps in a way that he doesn't even realize that is what he is doing. If you directly challenge someones beliefs, it triggers defense mechanisms, but approaching it indirectly like this doesn't. It really stands out how much better the writing on Barik's portion of DLC is compared to the rest of it.

Lantry's quest is bad, but talking with Nerat in the trip was pretty good. I like the ambiguity that some part of Nerat may have yet survived, or it might just be in Cleo's head.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Nightfall

I did one play-though on release, before they added the loyalty ending, and didn't even know it was a thing before this LP. I haven't seen it, but from what others have said, it sounds like Kyros accepts your submission and you're rewarded by becoming her right-hand minion. If so, that's stupid. To a tyrant, loyalty is entirely a one way street. They expect devotion from their followers, but their followers have no right to expect it in return. As has been seen throughout history, a tyrant stands ready reward devotion with utterly destruction the second it becomes expedient. The game as originally written clearly understands this as you see this behavior throughout the game, particularly with Ashe.

Beyond personal concepts of loyalty, surrendering to Kyros doesn't make sense. Fascist regimes rely on, among other things, always having an external enemy for to oppose for legitimacy. The entire conquests of the tiers/archon rebellion is one giant false flag. Send two incompetent, insubordinate generals who hate each other to the tiers with the explicit (as Tunon admits) directive that only one of them will gain control of the tiers at the end. Wait until one side destroys the other, it doesn't even matter which one wins. Declare the losing side as the loyal martyrs for the cause, and the winning side evil and treasonous. Boom, you have an external enemy for a few more years. The plan only stalled out because both generals were equally incompetent and unable to gain an upperhand over the rebellion and each other. So, Cleo is sent in as an x-factor. Again, it doesn't matter who wins the stalemate, Ashe, Nerat, Cleo, or a unified rebellion. All that matters is a pretext for the war to continue, like Africa in 1984.

rastilin posted:

The loyalty ending is considerably better, since you're only really claiming to be loyal, and isn't that what everyone has been doing since the beginning? You can always change your mind later, you're not actually giving up the power to use edicts... and your reign of peace in the Tiers doesn't start off with a war crime against civilians.

I'm not sure, but it feels like re-swearing loyalty might compromise your ability to use edicts. In the cosmology of the game magic, including edicts, comes from belief that others have in you. Cosmology aside, edicts and magic are direct metaphors for political power and the ability to unify other behind you. It makes sense that a very public show of groveling and subordination permanent damages your access to such power. Even if you aren't truly loyal and only intend the fealty to be for show, ultimately appearances are what matters.

Arcanuse posted:

I was firmly in the "Kyros wants the Tiers to be an eternal meatgrinder" party when I did my own run, and thus picked it because it would make my fatebinder look good and secure their fame while putting Kyros in a bind.
With the other Archons in the tiers dead or under my control, including the favored headsman, and my "loyalty" made loud and clear, Kyros now has to deal with an enemy in their own court capable of dropping edicts and thus poses the threat of mutually assured destruction if they do try anything.
My star ascends, Kyros's stand's to plummet.

In totalitarian regimes corruption in law enforcement and bureaucracy is deliberate. Severally underpay cops, and you get a corrupt police force as a feature not a bug. You want underlings to be feared and hated, that makes it harder for them to challenge you. Additionally, if and when you need to remove them you do so under the guise of fighting corruption, and the people cheer for you exterminating threats to yourself. Remember the fatebinder has broken Kyros law many times, the laws are written in such a way that it is inevitable. For example, either your disobey the law against trespassing in the oldwalls, or fail to administer Kyro's justice to lawbreakers. Either way, you lose. Kyro's way out is that she doesn't accept your "pledge of loyalty" The "loyal" fatebinder, like all fatebinders, has been setup since the beginning to be decried and disposed of as corrupt at any time.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

V. Illych L. posted:

surrender is just the graven ashe ending though, and it likely wouldn't end better for us than for him

Graven Ashe surrender at a point in time when he was useful to Kyro, as there were more wars to fight and he had a large force of disposable soldiers at his command. I'm not sure what the fatebinder has to offer. Remember dictators handbook, non-useful subordinates must be ruthlessly purged under some pretext, even if they are totally loyal. Otherwise, they are at best a drain on resources or even worst a credible alternative for enemies to rally behind. But it doesn't ultimately matter either way, it's just a matter of when it most expedient to knife the subordinate. The knife is inevitable.

Edit: Now that I'm thinking more about it, if the fatebinder offers humiliating public shows of subordination, that is useful for a little while at least. Make sure everyone knows that Cleo was only reading another edict for Kyros. She didn't really cast an edict herself, that was just a crazy rumor. Everyone knows only Kyro can cast edicts. Thought this still would leave the matter of the tiers unsettled

I dont know fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 1, 2021

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Veloxyll posted:

Early on I can see it being Kyros's plan. Right up until you start taking Spires and doubly so when you learn how to Edict.

Yeah, the fatebinder taking control of the spires and using them to cast edicts is something that Kyros' didn't expect. While it's not addressed what exactly Kyros does or doesn't know about the spires, very knowledgeable groups such as the sages or the court have no idea how they work. It's entirely reasonable to assume Kyros doesn't know about them and is caught completely off guard at this point. My read remains that Ashe and Nerat were supposed to have a civil war with one wiping out the other. The loser is declared loyal martyr, the winner is a traitor, and Kyros has an self sabotaging idiot as her controlled opposition. Everything after, starting with sending a fatebinder with an edict, is her attempting to salvage the plan. The assumption at that point is clearly the fatebinder would side with one of the generals and tip the balance, it doesn't matter which one. If I remember correctly, Tunon even tells you as much. He asks you to find evidence proving one archon guilty, and if you ask about the possibility that they are both at fault, he dithers a bit before saying you should really focus your efforts entirely on one of them.

Kyros is obviously fallible, but not incompetent. Her empire is bad at providing effective governance to it's subjects, but that is not what being a tyrant's government is for. A tyrant's government is entirely about creating structures to maintain and grow the tyrant's power, which Kyros has done extremely well. Even if Cleo dethrones her tomorrow Kyros did hold power for 400 years and grew to directly control almost the entire known world.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I'm curious, the spire has a power bar for edicts. It's filled by resolving Kyros' edicts and depletes when you cast your ones, including using optional ones against Ashe and Nerat. Can you fail to cast the edict at Kyros' capital at the end because you squandered your power? If so, how does the ending change?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I'm curious to see how a caster tank works in practice. Unarmed spellsword (spellpunch) seems like it would be much better since two aspects play well with each other. Quickness is the principle attribute of unarmed which also lowers spell cooldowns. Unarmed and casters both favor light armor, but wearing heavy armor gives a huge cd penalty to all your spells. Finally, unarmed has the unique bonus of using dodge for both melee and ranged defense rather than having to spread points out between both dodge and parry.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

can we skip the bastards wound this time

Please. Alternatively if we do go to the Bastards Wounds, just declare the entire thing heretical at the beginning. Cause gently caress that place and every poorly written moron in it.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 11, 2021

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Nerat I only ever did a disfavored run and am curious what the Chorus path looks like.

Also the general thrust of the disfavored run is pretty evident after doing the anarchist play-through, and so it won't be particularly surprising or interesting. You participate in objectionable activities while the veneer of loyalty and honor slowly slides off Ashe and the Disfavored. The disfavored are modern day fascists, allying with them means becoming an increasingly horrible monster. It's an open question whether the player recognizes the sunk cost fallacy causing them to commit ever worst war crimes or if they end up unironically posting on reddit about how Ashe did nothing wrong.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

bewilderment posted:

I appreciate that during both the Conquest and throughout Act 1, the answer to "who's responsible for loving up the invasion" truthfully is "well, it's complicated and there were a lot of factors and to be blunt, everyone sucks but me" but that's not an acceptable answer. The answer has to be "pick someone to take all the blame and be our scapegoat so the other parties can all continue about their business".

There has to be someone to blame. Because if it's not their fault... then you're guilty too.

Tunin is dancing around outright saying it, because he is a true believer and on some level can't accept it, but your real task is to act as kingmaker and determine who gets to rule the tiers. The winner will be crowned not for their virtue, the loser will be executed not for their crimes, but for winning or losing the power struggle. Justice and law are only ad hoc rationalizations to make the whole thing less unseemly. It reminds me of how the Ottoman empire actually had it in law that on assent of a new Sultan, any male relatives of the Sultan would be executed, even infants.

I think the most revealing line is when Tunin says "It's possible, but the momentum of the conquest up to this point suggests otherwise. The failure at Vendrien's Well implies a coordinated will behind the chaos." Technically it's possible that they both are guilty, but no, one of them need to win so the tiers have a ruler.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Rawkking posted:

Can we go to Lethian's Crossing and *not* do the treason? Just gently caress around and come back empty-handed?

Edit: Or this like if we agree to a quest and don't do it we get punted to the anarchy route?

You always have the choice to bail to the anarchy route, but otherwise you are a glorified coffee boy for whichever side you align yourself with. This is where the frequent complaint that the game railroads you comes from. The game was marketed as a power fantasy, rather than a critique of totalitarianism.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 6, 2021

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Since Boris is going maximum rear end in a top hat, lets be as awful as possible. Take Amelia alive, and lance the wound. Obviously taking her alive is not a mercy. As for the wound, even if the two leaders deserve death the civilians especially the beastkin do not.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Should've fed that earthshaker to Nerat, imo. Preferable to only having Ashe have access to their secrets.

Yeah, but as was pointed out, Boris didn't hang around for the sentence to be carried out. Nerat probably ate her brain about 5 minutes after Boris left camp.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

bewilderment posted:

Well, if you give Nerat the baby, that's someone who's not dead or missing.

Probably not dead, but definitely missing.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

mortons stork posted:

lol the nerat route really doesn't sugarcoat it at all. just relentlessly calling you out as a psycho doing psycho things

It's not like Nerat or the Choir ever pretends to be anything else. More than any of the other routes, the player really should have a sense of what they are going to get allying with a creature like Nerat.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Keldulas posted:

Seeing a “typical” path, it’s easy to see why people may have difficulties with the game. Following one of the armies just puts this pall over the entire thing.

I bet most people’s first experience is Anarchy, whether immediate or eventual.

The breakdown for wins, per steam achievements

Complete the game as an ally of the Disfavored. 7.9%
Complete the game without any allies. 4.7%
Complete the game as an ally of the Scarlet Chorus. 3.4%
Complete the game after forging an alliance among the rebel factions of the Tiers. 3.2%

Siding with Disfavored and playing through with them till the end is the most popular route by a good margin. If you checks the steam forums or reddit there are 100% people who argue Ashe/Disfavored did nothing wrong. Personally, I stuck with the disfavored to see how things play out, not because I endorsed what my character was doing. The writing on the disfavored route is pretty good in so far as you see the slippery slope that leads people to ever more extreme positions and actions.

The game was defiantly advertised as being a "evil" power fantasy rather than a serious examination of the systems that empower monsters leads seemingly decent people to horrible actions. I think people were expecting something more akin to Cobra in GI Joe, where is it so ludicrous and untethered to real life that it doesn't feel bad to be a puppy kicking super villain.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

JeffRaze posted:

Outsmarting Kyros' laws is a hell of a lot more disturbing to Tunon than handwaving is. Handwaving crimes off happens basically all the time, it's hardly threatening to Tunon's worldview.

Laws are there to serve the people with privilege. Fatebinder is a far higher position than chorus mook, so if a fatebinder feels like murdering a few of them, so be it. The actual reason isn't relevant, only the relative difference in social standing between the parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, I agree with the previous replies; Tunon has a much bigger problem with someone being clever to subvert the law than someone just applying it credulously. He says as much, that he doesn’t trust Furia’s account, but it is the only account the Court is going to hear, and he’s not going to lose sleep over someone taking it at face value.

There’s another adjudication that I’ve never seen mentioned anywhere, and I have no idea what triggers it. I think you have to have gone to Azure in conquest and thrown both armies at Cairn to save the town (in which case it remains Plainsgate instead of changing to Halfgate, and there’s a couple more houses instead of a big crater in the corner), and be on the Chorus route.

In it, a Blood Chanter tries to sue you for losses incurred during Conquest, and you just happen to walk in while he’s airing his grievances to another Fatebinder, who defers to you. Surprisingly, you come to the conclusion that he has no grounds to sue and find him guilty of wasting the Court’s time with spurious accusations. You’re then given a whole range of options for punishment, including execution, beatings, fines, a stern warning, or letting the other Fatebinder decide. I forget what else, but I think some sort of indentured servitude is also on the table. Literally every option except a small fine will result in the other Fatebinder berating you for being too strict/lenient/lazy, and a pip of Tunon Wrath. Lemme tell you, it is not a fun adjudication to deal with on a zero Tunon wrath run.

It's extremely on brand to have a trial in the game where you are both the defendant and the judge. Shame that the extremely specific trigger conditions means almost no players see it.