Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I'm not exactly sure a long build-up is necessary, but yeah, you have to care about Jean and her relationship to Scott for the story to work at all. It probably helps to spend some time with her as the "good" Phoenix before she goes "dark".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Let's hope this isn't the live-action people seeing how good Spider-Verse was and trying to copy it.

Veotax posted:

Just adapt the storyline from the newspaper strip.

This is incredible.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

They clearly thought they were going to make 10 movies with a different New God as the villain in each, building up to Darkseid in the last one, each of which would make a billion dollars, so they had to start with the shittiest one.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Fury is, in a screenplay-construction sense, the protagonist in Avengers* , so it would be a pretty different movie in that case.

AoU is textbook "less than the sum of its parts". There's good stuff in it but it doesn't hang together. It's also the film where the "everyone quips too much" complaint is actually accurate; everyone's dropping one-liners to the point that the conversations don't even flow or make sense.

*The entire premise of Avengers is that Loki and the Chitauri are clownishly outmatched once Earth's superheroes actually work together; the challenge is whether or not Fury can actually get them to do so, and hold off the weird nuclear weapon illuminati long enough for the heroes to succeed. It's a pretty weird approach.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I mean eventually they're going to find someone (hopefully) 5 feet tall and hairy who can act, throw them through the Marvel training/steroids rock polishing machine, and boom, new Wolverine.

Re: MCU Deadpool, it does not seem to be a hard problem to bring the fourth wall breaking guy into a new continuity and tell the audience to just not worry about it.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I haven’t played a Mortal Kombat since I used to go over to this other kid’s house that had a Genesis and he’d get way too excited about fatalities, but I agree that trailer and the stuff in this thread is some very goofy fun entertaining bullshit.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

three Jokers labelled 1, 2 and 4

The Joker, The Smoker, and the Midnight Toker.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

TwoPair posted:

"I'm going to go home and sleep with my wife"

- Peter Parker

They can introduce Firestar talking about the flames on the side of her face.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

The ice skating line gets all the love but I feel the delivery in this clip is underrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o64y4ow5y_8

Omnomnomnivore fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 25, 2021

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Pretty sure for me it was Little Women. Which was good!

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

We're all having fun here on the forums, but I'll remind everyone there are real world people who don't have hands and manage to go to the bathroom just fine.

He's got to be able to take off or cover up the razors, right?
Also, bidets are a thing.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I watched the first 7 minutes of this Mortal Kombat movie on youtube and lol the guy’s wife literally gets fridged?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Venom would be much, much improved if it were a 90 minute movie where Eddie gets the symbiote in the first 15.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Star Trek talk reminds me of a friend who was really into Smallville when it was on, and I told him I didn't like it because the only episode I saw was a dumb one about a vampire that sucks people's fat instead of blood, and he got so mad saying I needed to watch better episodes. Never did, that's still the only one I've seen!

And now that I've Googled the episode, the fat vampire was Amy Adams?!

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Yeah the trailer does give off "lean into what worked in the first one" which is promising, though a trailer won't show if you have a well-structured screenplay so we'll see if they can manage that this time. Though I still expect this movie to be way too long and serious for a hammy B-movie about space goop monsters.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

site posted:

rocketeer has the amazing mafia guys who turn around and betray the bad guys as soon as they learn the bad guys are nazis, so it has that going for it

That's Paul Sorvino turning on Timothy Dalton! Rocketeer has a fantastic cast and is underrated.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I've only ever seen the first Highlander, and always thought that it's a great concept with flawed execution. So it's a good candidate for a remake. I don't like that the remake will have 100% less Queen though.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Remake bad movies with good concepts! It’s why Oceans Eleven is the best remake!

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Gonna tell my kids that batman giving catwoman a raspberry.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Yes weird to magically age-up an 18 year old played by a 24-year old, but maybe also kind of lovely to replace an actress in a role with one 18 years younger after she turns 40? IDK what the best way to cast magical childhood-wish-fulfillment superheroes is.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Original Reed and Ben were WWII vets in 1962, so they were at least 35 when they went into space.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I don't think Stan and Jack were thinking about this very hard, but these guys had to be pushing 40.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

I thought it was the Korean War? So they served at some point between 1950 and 1983 :v:

Looked it up - that was originally part of Professor X's back story. He and Cain Marko were serving in that war when the latter got Juggernaut'ed.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Arist posted:

I haven't seen '66 to be fair, but the consensus on it seems to have pretty heavily shifted recently and people are really into it now

e: it's like the reappraisal of Speed Racer, a fantastic loving movie

Batman '66 has "some days you just can't get rid of a bomb" which is (A) great comedy and (B) inferiorly ripped off for the last act of TDKR.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Tom Hardy’s weird performance plus the murderslime buddy/romance middle section were good trash. Everything else was bad trash.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Tron Legacy is a good album but I never got around to watching that movie they made for it.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Wasn't Nacho from Better Call Saul supposed to be Scorpion at some point?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Raimi adapted Spider-Man as if it got cancelled not long after The Night Gwen Stacy Died.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

As stupid NFTs go that at least looks nicer than a lovely ape.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm finally reading the original fourth world stuff right now, and man, some of these names. It took me way, way too long to recognize "Scott Free" as the extremely obvious pun that it is. Or calling a religious-revival-leader supervillain "Godfrey". And you've got Orion running around calling himself O'Ryan.

Then the man turns around and lays "the tiger-force at the core of all things" on me and I can't get the phrase out of my head for days.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

IIRC in the first couple issues it was kind of like Donald Blake just had "the power of Thor" but still had his own mind (and the whole "walking stick is secretly Thor's hammer" was standard "disability is secretly a superpower" stuff, like with Iron Man's heart or Daredevil's super-senses). But pretty quickly Jack wanted to bring in all the other Norse mythology with Odin and Loki and everything, which mean's he's "really Thor", so the identity just stuff got really muddled. It took until Simonson in the 80s to say that Blake was never a real person and have it just be Thor all the time.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Super Dan posted:

This was pretty well explained in Thor 159

Only 6 years into the run :). I don't think I ever read that far.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

In 2002 I was in a college dorm and the dude nextdoor just played "Kiss from a Rose" on repeat for hours, blasting through the thin walls. Great song or no I had to go yell at him and to this day I remember him as the Kiss from a Rose guy.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

The early stuff presented mutant persecution more like a McCarthyist red-scare than what was going on in the civil rights movement. The metaphor is there but you have to dig pretty deep. It’s only later authors that made it more explicit. The fact that it was very implicit and fuzzy probably worked in its favor in letting people read whatever they wanted into it.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

What poor Sony employee had to trawl through the list of C-list spider-man adjacent characters they had rights to to make movies about in this desperate effort to grab a chunk of MCU cash?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Morbius 2: Morebius

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Andrew_1985 posted:

Tahani as the Invisible Woman, desperate to be seen would be fantastic.
Jason as the Thing would be very Korg-like.

Leaves Eleanor as Johnny, which, sure, that works.

Marc Evan Jackson as Doom kind of works for me.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I am pro uncrowded morning movie except for the one time I saw Wreck it Ralph at 9AM and was a grown single man in a theater full of children and parents and felt like a huge creep.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Verizon gave me Disney+ for free so I am catching up on Marvel Content and feel like talking about Eternals 10 months later.

I'm sure I have nothing new to add but: what an interesting failure of a movie. There is good stuff in here and I get why some people respond to it, but the whole package really didn't work for me. I feel like I'd rather watch either a super deep treatment of the Kirby Ancient Aliens Gnosticism ideas (you could make whole movies about how regular old humans react to "the earth is an egg for a space god" that don't need any CGI fights), or a well-shot Chloe Zhou domestic drama about, like, Brian Tyree Henry's adorable family. But what we get is atrocious pacing, a few block-of-wood-in-front-of-a-greenscreen performances, and a last act that inexplicably drops several characters. And while I'm glad Marvel took a big swing on this, more than any of their movies this one would be strictly improved being outside the shared universe (which I guess tracks the original comics as well).

Omnomnomnivore fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Ok, maybe Multiverse of Madness "has a plot held together with duct tape and prayers" and "doesn't live up to its title" and "Dr. Strange is a boring protagonist" and "is the worst recent multiverse movie" but Strange possessing his own alternate universe corpse then weaving a cloud of ghosts into a cape to fly around is such a bonkers rad idea I give it an extra star rating just for that. You can really feel Sam Raimi's hand in, like, 60% of scenes and that was enough for me to have a good time.

Omnomnomnivore fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 29, 2022