Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ImpAtom posted:

It wasn't out until 2022 so probably not.

I don't know how you continue it after this. loving hell he was an immensely talented actor and seemed like a great person. This sucks so much.

I don't think there's even a script for the sequel yet. Maybe you just roll with it and put Shuri front and center?

Regardless, this is just awful news. I still can't even process it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/tarantallegra/status/1299544269099802624
Jesus gently caress.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

It feels like we're like 10 years away tops from having to reset the entire universe because everyone is too old,

I'm going to make the bold prediction that as long as Feige is running the show that's not going to happen, and as actors age out new characters will take their place. There's plenty of characters available to them that they don't need to go back to Steve or Tony.

That being said, this is all predicated on Feige still running things, and I think it's a very open question if he's still in charge of Marvel Studios in ten year's time. The man has only made Marvel movies just about and at some point you have to think he wants another challenge.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

McCloud posted:

They have little to lose by just booting him to the curb. Unless of course he's got some dirt on important folks.

They already did to a degree, he hasn't been CCO at DC since 2018, ostensibly so he could focus on his production company (Stargirl in other words) but I seem to recall at the time there was some speculation that he got a polite boot.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Paul Rudd is the mvp of the MCU.

I'm picturing Rudd going "huh, bwah, wha" to Kang showing up and it makes me very happy.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The Disney + premier pass stuff you can watch for as long as you have the service right? So it's more like buying than renting.

site posted:

I mean at this point I'd be surprised if Disney+ wasn't hemorrhaging subs because they haven't put any new content on it since mando last year. I dunno what their reluctance is

E: ^^^ if true I wonder what it is thats keeping people paying for it

Hamilton might not exactly be new, but it was a big buzzy release for them.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Bring back all(*) the Netflix leads if they have a story for them.

*well, not Danny

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Arist posted:

I'm legitimately bummed we never got more of the stuff from the end of Iron Fist Season 2.

Yeah Danny wandering the Earth with Ward (his name was Ward right?) and Iron Fist guns and the Daughters of the Dragon holding down the fort in NYC was a really solid hook for more stories.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

I think a problem with her is that she already has a prior commitment for the TV series Miracle Workers and while she's not a big of a name as her costars she is the lead. A Marvel role would obviously be a bigger part but there's the problem of Marvel not having a great track record when it comes to actually doing TV stuff. Yes those failures weren't Disney + shows but I could still see someone with a steady gig being a little gunshy.

The thing about these prestigey tv shows is that an actor isn't nearly as tied to one because the shooting schedule isn't as insane as broadcast tv. Plus, they've already said Kamala is going to make the jump to movies so that's a nice bonus.

My question is how much value should be placed in getting someone who is actually of Pakistani descent to play the part?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

If anybody could figure out how to do a Phoenix/Dark Phoenix movie, or series of movies, it's the Marvel Studios crew. Though my guess is they'll pick something else to mine for stories.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

I remember Bane being done in by Catwoman shooting rockets at him from her motorcycle thing. Did that not happen?

Iirc they did some variation on the theme of our hero beats up the bad guy, turns to leave, but oh no the bad guy gets up and is about to strike our hero unawares when the hero's buddy shows up and shoots the bad guy. Only this time with rockets.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Marvel tends to work more or less in real time so by the time the show comes out, they're going to be a couple of years in universe past Endgame. So you'd have to figure if nothing else Carol's famous for soloing Thanos's flagship, and helping kill Thanos twice.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I have still never seen either Amazing Spider-Man movie. So sure, fine, it'll be new to me!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

She had to find her flerken if nothing else.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

To the extent that I hear a voice when I read Spider-Man, which honestly isn't much, it's still the guy from Spider-Man & his Amazing Friends.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Vince MechMahon posted:

With theater chains starting to just flat out die, I don't think this whole thing where studios just make movies then never release them is gonna be the winning strategy here.

Eh, call me a Pollyanna but the pandemic will end and there's enough proven profit in theatrical releases that the theaters will come back in some form or another.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Counterpoint, even surrounded by other people it's way easier to focus on a movie if you're watching it in a darkened theater than sitting alone on your couch with your phone and/or tablet next to you. At least that's what I find to be true.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Oh, this is a Snyder cut thing? Where the hell do you crowbar the Joker into that Justice League? When I saw the headline I thought they were talking about a new Justice League movie.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

WB hires Greg Berlanti who immediately casts Melissa Benoist, Grant Gustin, and Stephen Amell for a power of love resolution.

Imo, it's a more deserving use of WB corporate funds to hand Berlanti the 200 million or so and let him make a Justice League movie with "his" troop of actors. I doubt the film would be any sort of box office success, but that whole CW crew deserves one go round with a big league vfx budget.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

And Dutch angles, so many Dutch angles.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

McCloud posted:

I still feel the movie would have been stronger if they'd made Stark Sr an rear end in a top hat that stole ideas from Vankos father. It's rumored this was the original pitch that later got changed because they didn't want one to paint one of the main characters in that Agent Peggy spin off as a bad guy

I tend to doubt that because Agent Carter didn't even go into development for another three years after IM2, and Howard was never a main character in the show. However, I would fully believe that they wanted to soften him for his appearance in Captain America, or for some other nebulous future project they hadn't quite figured out.

That does make me wonder though, is Howard Stark the most recast character in the MCU? Three different actors have played him.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

In the comics and the Ang Lee movie yes, but I don't think Bruce's relationship with his father has ever come up in the MCU.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

theironjef posted:

AND Box of Scraps guy.

Ralphie Parker did not shoot his eye out with a Red Ryder Carbine Action 200-shot Range Model air rifle for this level of disrespect.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Phylodox posted:

Or they wanted to announce it on their own terms. Companies can be stupid like that. Like when Benedict Cumberbatch was playing Khan in Into Darkness and everyone knew Benedict Cumberbatch was playing Khan in Into Darkness but Paramount kept insisting that Benedict Cumberbatch was absolutely not playing Khan in Into Darkness and then Benedict Cumberbatch was totally Khan. In Into Darkness. Like everyone knew he was.

Right, but with that we knew Cumberbatch was in the movie. This is more akin to the game of footsie Marvel had with Cumberbatch over Doctor Strange.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

This is basically Warner having zero confidence in the US movie market rebounding next year and relying on foreign markets/HBO Max subs to keep them afloat?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

It's an absolute bombshell move and it no-hyperbole may kill off movie theaters.

See, I tend to doubt that, because i just don't see how you replicate the box office gross of a Wonder Woman with HBOMax subs.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

site posted:

I think it's just gonna be a sinister six story but with stunt casting

That's my thought/hope too.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Cool, now give her something to do.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

site posted:

Didn't raimi already go all out with all the other poo poo because he knew it was the last one

I feel like "the suits would want a line about ock being in jail" is moving away from an argument to why he has to die pretty significantly

The conventional wisdom is that the third one is a mess because of studio interference. Raimi wanted to make a movie with Sandman and Harry as the villains, and the studio insisted he include Venom because, well, the kids like Venom. Raimi was a good soldier and did what he was asked to, but clearly didn't work all that hard to make the pieces fit together.

Raimi was also, iirc, developing a fourth movie with Vulture when Sony decided to reboot.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Here's a trailer for Loki

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1337197005211365379?s=20

I don't remember Owen Wilson's casting being mentioned but I could have missed it

I also have absolutely no idea what's going on.

I didn't love the Vote Loki miniseries, but I do like how they cribbed from it here.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

But the series does kind of sound like just an accompaniment series to do "Previously on" recaps and dot connecting for the new shows and movies. Which kinda makes sense now that the universe is a decade old and expanding a lot fast, especially if they start working in stuff like Daredevil. The majority of the MCU audience aren't nerds who know who Kate Bishop, Kamala Khan, and She Hulk are.

Plus, by the time WandaVision comes out it will have been almost three years since we last saw the two of them together, so maybe a refresher isn't a bad idea.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

JordanKai posted:

Mahershala Ali played Cottonmouth in Luke Cage and is now set to play Blade in a feature film, so from the looks of it Marvel isn't too concerned with double dipping on casting.

Gemma Chan was Minn-Erva in Captain Marvel and now is Sersi in Eternals so they aren't even afraid to double dip from the movies.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

MoaM posted:

I thought they were going to do a Static Shock movie at some point...or does DC not actually care / is DC not actually involved with that?

According to this NYTimes profile of Walter Hamada, Static Shock (and Batgirl) might be HBOMax releases, if they get made.

quote:

The most expensive DC movies (up to four a year, starting in 2022) are designed for release in theaters, Mr. Hamada said. Additional superhero films (two annually is the goal, perhaps focused on riskier characters like Batgirl and Static Shock) will arrive exclusively on HBO Max, the fledgling streaming service owned by WarnerMedia.
Also, of some interest is that they're filling leaning into the idea of a multiverse and just making as many different Batman movies as they feel like.

quote:

To make all the story lines work, DC Films will introduce movie audiences to a comics concept known as the multiverse: parallel worlds where different versions of the same character exist simultaneously. Coming up, for instance, Warner Bros. will have two different film sagas involving Batman — played by two different actors — running at the same time.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Vince MechMahon posted:

The Germans as a whole in Wonder Woman aren't Nazis. First off not a single character in the movie holds that ideology. Second, it's just like red skull in cap 1 where the villain is explicitly leading a splinter cell.

Wellll, in the real world Ludendorff was an early member of the Nazi Party.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It sort of depends on how you define results with respect to Johns. He's no longer an executive at WarnerMedia, but they still have a business relationship with his production company to make Stargirl for them. Plus, WW84 was written waaay before all this started so it's a little unfair to point to that as an example of Warner still being in the Geoff Johns business. Likewise, those other EP credits are probably contractual holdovers from his time as DC CCO, I mean hell, Andrew Kriesberg's name is still all over the CWVerse shows and he got fired years ago. So depending on how you want to parse it both things are true?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

JordanKai posted:

same universe where Captain America said "Language"?

That is by far and away my least favorite joke in the entire MCU. The idea that Cap, a guy who served in WW2, would chide somebody for swearing is patently ridiculous.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Roth posted:

I also don't think there's any problem with being sympathetic towards Rorshach. He's a tragic character, and Ozymandias is a far, far worse person in both versions of the story.

The hell? Rorschach's loving Qanon thirty years too soon.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Cartridgeblowers posted:

How is the general guy from MoS supposed to be Martian Manhunter? I feel like there's nothing there. But apparently that was the plan? Did I miss some foreshadowing?

Wait, seriously? That's remarkably close to how Supergirl introduced J'onn.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Justice League and JLU are worth watching. Superman is uneven but it's got some really high points. They're worth going through.

The Late Mr. Kent is one of my favorite Superman stories ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

I too want the falcon and the winter soldier to beat up the fbi and cia.

Edit: the flag smashers are going to be controlled by some made up eastern European country who is a stand in for russia.

I mean it'll probably be Zemo pulling the strings so does rogue operative from a made up Eastern European country count?