Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

You probably should, what with the pandemic and all.

Considering the poo poo the director's wheeled out defending his casting of Bobby, I'm looking forward to seeing this movie...crash and burn. :unsmigghh:

It's really disappointing because it feels like all the OTHER casting was spot on and went the extra mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/DavidDTSS/status/1299546534032412672

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/mizzymicole/status/1299568138871283712

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah I was already curious as to what the power structures of Wakanda were going to be like 5 years after the King (who was also the spiritual protector) and Princess dissapeared. Like secession works by combat so in theory leadership has long been transferred to another tribe but the Black Panther mantle was specific to T'Challa's tribe and with no herb and no heir there couldn't be a direct line to a new Panther in their absence. Maybe Nakia would have done something different and become the new protector. Maybe Wakanda went full outreach to help with the worldwide effects of the snap. I wish they would have at least squeezed a line in acknowledging Wakanda's role, maybe instead of vague earthquake references.

Even before this tragedy we were potentially walking into a story where T'Challa had been replaced in one or both titles.

Or if not Nakia, M'Baku who perhaps was trying to continue things like T'Challa would in M'Baku's own unique fashion. Also it's never wrong when Winston Duke gets a paycheck.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

McCloud posted:

Right. Josstice league was Geoffs second big chance at becoming a big shot in DC films and he blew it again, and his comic output has been lacklustre (the watchmen stuff was utterly forgettable, and the three jokers doesn't fill me with confidence either). They have little to lose by just booting him to the curb. Unless of course he's got some dirt on important folks.

Given all the DC shake ups they may well decide Johns should get the boot. Especially if he has an expensive contract.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Deciding right now that Johns is worth of protection is really something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

Occurs to me I don't know much about Kang. Never came across him in comics except for young Kang in the original Young Avengers run. Haven't read too many Avengers or FF where he would have shown except for many years ago reading the original Lee/Kirby stuff. I know the gist but it's not like other major villains that have been used where I have a sense of what's a good adaptation or not.

I can highly recommend Avengers Forever and the Kang Dynasty story arc (both by Kurt Busiek) if you want good Kang stories,

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arist posted:

I'm assuming a lot of it's "they have the entire back Disney catalog so my young children love keeping it on all the time" subs.

Having friends who are parents who hear 'Let It Go' in their sleep now, this is absolutely it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

In the middle of Gina Carano's idiocy she said Pascal spoke to her and educated her, but she took the wrong lesson from it anyway because she's a moron.

Carano has at last look put her pronouns on Twitter as robot noises which is like a step away from identifying as an attack helicopter.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Also we got what felt like Actual Iron Fist in that one episode of Luke Cage so he can do it if, you know, directed well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

howe_sam posted:

The thing about these prestigey tv shows is that an actor isn't nearly as tied to one because the shooting schedule isn't as insane as broadcast tv. Plus, they've already said Kamala is going to make the jump to movies so that's a nice bonus.

Somewhere Chloe Bennett just sighed.

I move she be given seven seasons as Dr. Aphra as recompense.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s rarely ever the fault of the kids though. It’s the horrible loving parents who use their kid’s talent and don’t give a poo poo about what it does to them.

The worst example in recent memory is the Stranger Things girl being manipulated into feeling incredibly guilty for not taking a dozen roles each year because her entire deadbeat family uses her as their sole source of income.

And it's doubtful they cared a lot she was/is being groomed by Drake.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I see my initial reaction to any Bob tweet is still 'shut up Bob.' So that's nice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m watching X Men Apocalypse for the first time since it was in theatres (gotta love Hulu auto play)and... it’s not bad but I forgot just how much it wasted Oscar Isaac. You can’t even tell it’s him at all. Still a drat sight better than Dark Phoenix though.

I really do hope that Disney goes back and does Apocalypse and Dark Pheonix properly when they do some X Men movies, though. Both great villains that have never lived up to their potential in adaptations.

I always feel bad for Olivia Munn in Apocalypse. She apparently trained really hard for Psylocke's stuff and then got... you know... what she got. Of course she apparently had to tell them about Psylocke in the first place and that's maybe why she didn't really... what's the word... oh, yeah, talk.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rantmo posted:

Phoenix could still work but you'd have to establish a long status quo for it to upend. You have to care about everyone involved and be invested in their lives for it to work and you have to have Jean as Phoenix for a while before she goes Dark. It's doable but it would take multiple films in multiple X-franchies for it to land well.

Yeah, Phoenix need its own through line ending with something like Infinity War/Endgame. They keep trying to cram it into a single movie because PHOENIX and we've seen the results.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The new movies were mostly incoherent and couldn’t decide what to do with the characters or what ones to focus on (outside of “Jennifer Lawrence is huge now, really focus on Mystique I guess”) but they at least lucked into knocking DOFP out of the park.

It was kind of funny they continued to focus on a character whose actress seemed like she wanted to be there less with each movie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

They've only done DKR once though?

And they waited 9 movies, 4 different series, and 6 different Batmen.

Also AvX literally just happened. That's why nobody likes it. Nobody's decades of characterization mattered there. The only positive of AvX is the costumes for the Phoenix 5, and Cyclops was Right.

Yeah, they had to bring in an entirely new status quo to rehab Emma.

Rhyno posted:

The "meant to be together forever" is a James Robinson/Geoff Johns addition to the mythos from like, 2004 or so? Whenever the JSA brought Hawkman back.

It really hamstrung Kendra, too. Character development? Nah. It's all going to circle around back to Carter. Although to be fair when she can do whatever you get things like her 'romance' with Martian Manhunter.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

It's because he's a cop

Also Hawkman is old.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

They changed the actor so they could get better synch up the facial motion capture with Yuri Lowenthal.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

Oh is that just supposed to be Jim Lee's dumb shading on the vest? That makes more sense.

Well, that's Jim Fern drawing but yes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Charlie Cox has himself said he has zero hope of this ever happening. Very recently even.

That must break his heart. I've seen few people as hype for a role as Cox was for ol' Hornhead.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

You know I thought people were joking when they said the electric eels fixed Electro's gap in his teeth but nope.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Having Garfield give Peter a tough New York accent was certainly an odd choice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

He was great but they should have set it in college, dude could not pull off high school age. Emma Stone was also fantastic. Martin Sheen and Sally Field were my favorite Ben and May.

I'm convinced they didn't write dialogue for Garfield and Stone who were dating at the time, it just read just 'flirt for X minutes' in the script. They almost had too much chemistry.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I like the exec felt compelled to explain a humble brag.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

You're not wrong. Spider-man 2 was a heavyweight in it's day but it hasn't aged well.

Is that the one where Aunt May becomes inadvertently horrible?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, the new superhero movie was the time all my friends would get together and then head out to the bar afterwards to bullshit. With jobs and families, hanging out like that didn't happen often and VOD just isn't the same. Plus, I like that terrible popcorn.

For me it's the giant cola Icee I'd get.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

It's not bad, it's just far from still being the best superhero movie like a lot of people still say.

Honestly it feels like everything that isn’t Doc Ock is kinda bad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Aunt May from the Raimi Spider-Man movies hasn't held up well with the reinterpretations being much better. Though I guess cool younger Aunt May wasn't really a thing until Ultimate Spider-Man.

Yeah. Peter sort of aged but oddly May never did so she was roughly Methuselah age forever. I remember for the longest time I thought she was his great-aunt.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Wait, she isn't?

Nope. Ben is Richard Parker's brother. Which makes it really weird when they talk about Ben working at Coney Island during the Depression.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I haven't seen any of the more reliable sites talk about it. These seem to exist in that nebulous middle between CosmicBookNews and WeGotThisCovered at the bottom and Variety on the top end.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mostly what I've heard of it was people rightfully upset that Dwayne McDuffie, Denys Cowan et al don't get a mention in their involvement with Static's creation. And I'm pretty sure they will, but it was all about Jordan.

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's got zero marvel branding, right?

Yeah. His sister's not even 'Satana' it's 'Ana.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Question IRL posted:

....Who makes a series about the Son of Satan, Damien Hellstorm. And decides that they need to cut out all the Supernatural poo poo.

It's like somebody said I'm going to adapt the Twilight books....but remove all the stuff about Vampires and Werewolves.

Oh, Helstrom was going to be the lead into the Adventure Into Fear or whatever the supernatural Marvel initiative was called that was also going to give us Ghost Rider, but that got axed when Marvel TV did. The series is a mountain of subplots to set up for things that won't ever happen and it also operates under the train of thought that too much comic book stuff can scare the straights which I'm going to blame Jeph Loeb for because I can.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thebardyspoon posted:

When they were initially introduced it was in the aftermath of a big event where a lot of the classic hero teams had disappeared. So it was Baron Zemo trying to take advantage of that to get a fake hero team and get a bunch of secret assets, money, prestige, etc. Since then they'd done a bunch of different setups though where they're like chipped "heroes" or actual repentant supervillains trying to do good.

It was a genuine surprise too. This was pre Bleeding Cool so you had to work to find out the twist. Worked really well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

STAC Goat posted:

I feel bad for the "There's a Suicide Squad Director's Cut too" guy.

Maybe this is where we're getting that Leto Joker... thing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm not like a Hulk expert but I didn't even know comics Hulk had daddy issues. So to me it was a very obscure plot point to use.

It came up pretty heavily in the David run, I believe, but I don't think it was a super ongoing thing like, say, Spidey's guilt over Uncle Ben.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

STAC Goat posted:

My vague memory is that she was a "I don't want to be a super hero just because I'm a mutant" so her powers basically sucked because she never used them unless it was an emergency.

Yeah and like a lot of mutant powers around her era, they were more complicated than just 'make a force field.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

Drax will be there you just won't see him, because he has mastered the art of invisibility

It would be great if Drax was there and all he did was either standing still or moving really slowly in the background.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

STAC Goat posted:

Hawkeye's intro is definitely very :effort: and "hey, a guy you know from the comics!" But like... at the time it was way, way cool to me.

In a way it feels like the hardest they'd lean into 'comics reference so the smark crowd goes OOOO.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Phylodox posted:

He looks like someone saw the Destroyer from Thor and said "Yes, but what if we crossed him with a disorganized cutlery drawer?"

I liked how Seanbaby put it.

https://twitter.com/Seanbabydotcom/status/1328770077970231296