Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Open Marriage Night posted:

Yeah. Like right after the comment about the buffalo wings, Dani has her stand up to the bully moment, where she gets in Illyana’s face, and tells her how pathetic and immature her insults are.

Illyana isn’t a very nice person, and is also trying to antagonize Dani into using her power that nobody, even Dani, knows what it is.

To add to this, while it's very much a movie that takes place in the X-Men universe, the plot is more comparable to Avengers Academy. The kids are led to believe that their therapy will lead them to join Xavier's school, but it turns out they're being prepared as villains for the Essex Corporation. While the other four have all had traumatic situations when their powers first kicked in that could be exploited, Illyana comes off as straight-up evil, with her files basically treating her as valedictorian. She freely admits to killing people and stuff. She eventually becomes better, but for the first half of the movie, she's straight-up awful and is supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

"X-Force? Never heard of you."

"Well, we're a very big deal."

"Then why didn't you help out against Thanos?"

"Oh, my big metal friend here can explain. Colossus?"

"Wade, I don't want to say this."

"Colossus."

"*sigh* We were busy on the moon."

"And why were we on the moon?"

"Because... we are Inhumans."

"And...?"

"We were always Inhumans. I feel dirty."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

During a climactic battle in Guardians 3, the screen pauses, Old Man Steve shuffles into the shot, looks to the camera, says, "I created an alternate timeline where me and Peggy fixed all the horrors of post-World War II history. I didn't lay low in this continuity and let all the atrocities happen. Jesus, people," then walks away and the movie continues.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Matt D-Man.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Aphrodite posted:

Stormbreaker works great. Thor just aims badly.

Then it chops Thanos' head off.

The funny thing is, while the extra bells and whistles of Stormbreaker come in handy (bifrost teleportation and deflection), Thor ends up lucking out by being in the exact right place at the exact right time to slay Thanos. Endgame shows that Stormbreaker alone isn't going to stop a lucid and powerless Thanos, even if you have allies with you. Thor was fortunate enough to go at him while his brains were scrambled from the sudden power surge... and he STILL screwed it up! Because Thor's deal in Infinity War and Endgame is that he thinks it's all about him and in that moment was more focused on making Thanos pay than actually stopping Thanos.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I feel like Endgame Thanos was significantly stronger than Infinity War Thanos just for the sake of having a cooler final battle. While he was indeed able to box Hulk out in Infinity War, he did come out on top of several encounters only because he had the gems and used them cleverly. Then when every single Avenger is on his rear end and he doesn't have a single gem, suddenly he's able to fend them all off for a sustained battle? I mean I know there were some brown CGI soldiers in the background keeping the backup occupied at times but still.

I can accept that the guy who could brutalize the Hulk would be able to fight off the big three like an SNK boss. Otherwise, Thanos got his rear end handed to him by Scarlet Witch until calling in an air strike and was overpowered by Captain Marvel until he weaponized the Power Stone. Besides that, I don't remember him doing anything noteworthy in the battle.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Even the aim wouldn't have been a problem if he was there slightly earlier. Burying an axe in someone's chest isn't exactly loving around, it's not like he was keeping Thanos alive to taunt him.

That's absolutely what he did. He took his time, twisted the axe for the sake of torture and mouthed off to him, which allowed Thanos the opportunity to do the snap.

Like I was saying earlier, I feel that Thor's story in Infinity War and Endgame is coming to terms with the fact that not everything is about him. He starts off losing a ton after already losing so much in the previous movie and his obsession is about getting Thanos in a rematch. It doesn't matter if Mjolnir was the friends we made along the way or whatever the moral of Ragnarok was. The dude was double-wielding in Endgame and it didn't matter. But at the time, he wanted to get an upgraded weapon made specifically to gently caress up Thanos. Between vengeance and ego, it was up to him and only him to take down Thanos. And it's easy to buy into when initially watching it because after Thanos, Thor is the closest thing Infinity War has to a protagonist (MAYBE Iron Man).

So he got his spruced up mega-axe with added special powers and lucked into attacking Thanos right after Thanos had stunned himself via adding the final Infinity Stone. Rather than going for the immediate kill, Thor played with his prey and paid for it. He stewed for a few months, but still had a shot at getting one more fight with Thanos where he could win with glory and fix everything. Instead, it was entirely moot. Thanos fried the Infinity Stones. Thor beheaded him in an empty exercise in revenge. Had he cared about saving lives to begin with, none of this would have happened and he has to live with it.

He fell back on being a nothing king to his people before getting dragged into the time heist. Even though his mother helped him with his confidence and ability to move forward, he still wasn't really fixed. He desperately demanded that he be the one to snap everyone back to life. He was strong enough to survive it and it would redeem his earlier actions. Luckily, everyone knew that it would be the WORST idea because he was in no mental condition to play with so many lives. Banner was the right call.

Thor didn't get a big moment of dominant superheroism in the third act to show how he had changed... which was probably the better solution to that problem. He did his part, but he didn't trip over his own ego. His enthusiasm and pride over seeing his friend prove how worthy he was was more or less Thor's big moment. He still insisted on wielding the bigger, cooler weapon a few minutes later, but progress is progress.

Now he's exploring that progress. He feels he isn't the rightful leader to his people and handed the spot to someone who would do better. He's joined the Guardians of the Galaxy and is awkwardly trying not to stop on Quill's toes even though you can tell it's killing him not to take lead.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He did go for the immediate kill though, he put the axe right into Thanos' chest at the first available opportunity. Then he pauses to regain his strength before trying to finish the job.

The problem is that (like in Endgame) killing Thanos doesn't solve the problem and it's what Thor is focused on.

Not sure what you mean there. Killing Thanos would absolutely solve the problem. Thanos IS the problem. That's why Thor screwed up.

There's no regaining his strength. He takes his sweet rear end time. Thor wants to kill Thanos, but on his terms. Going for the head would prevent the snap, but it cheats him out of his revenge because of how sudden it is. He wants Thanos to suffer in his final moments and know it was Thor's doing, but in doing so, he underestimates Thanos and gives him the opportunity to doom half the universe.

Interestingly enough, when Iron Man does give Thanos a lengthier death that he can stew in, instead of catharsis in the name of vengeance, we instead see Cap give Thanos a look of sympathy. At least that's how I read that expression.

McCloud posted:

That was just a cheap copout excuse to cover their asses so everytime someone asked "well why didn't x just do y" they could point to that dumb line and justify why things had to play out the way they did.

...Well, either that or Dr Strange realized Stark was as big a threat to the world as Thanos was and figured two birds, one stone.

I remember How It Should Have Ended covering Infinity War and their take was that if they successfully stopped Quill from waking up Thanos, then Nebula would have wielded the Infinity Stones. Also that Nebula with the Infinity Stones was absolutely a good thing and would have completely saved the day. I just watched and wondered, "Did you even read the assignment?"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

site posted:

Nebula's arc by that point is completely different than the comics though. She's reconciled with her sister and begrudgingly recognizes the found family. Her primary concern, even after briefly being tortured, is seeing him dead. And then when she discovers Gamora is missing, it's recovering her. IW doesn't have her experience the trauma of suspended melting living death the comics version did, which drove her insane

I don't necessarily agree that it would've been clean, but I don't think it would've lead to the comics ending either

That's fair.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

STAC Goat posted:

To be honest I just think I find "heart of gold" to be a weird trope because its often used to describe characters who do a lot of bad to a lot of people but then show some humanity. JJJ definitely has humanity but he also definitely does destructuve stuff knowingly.

That's why I always really liked that What If issue where Jonah adopted Peter (Chameleon's first appearance accidentally caused the deaths of Aunt May and John Jameson). Jonah's hatred for Spider-Man has sympathetic aspects to it, but it spirals out of control to the point that Peter -- who was afraid of Jonah being ashamed of him -- finally snaps, unmasks himself and rants at him before storming off. Jonah's immediate reaction is, "Peter... hates me," and he's hit with the realizations of what his own stupid vendetta has done to those around him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Aphrodite posted:

Morbius, coming exclusively to the Playstation Network.

I would not recommend viewing it on a plasma TV.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

SonicRulez posted:

It is wild to me that the MCU had a Nuke and he never had any interaction with Cap and never will.

The best thing about MCU Nuke was that he looked like someone who would star in an Asylum knockoff of Captain America.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mr Hootington posted:

I take issue in Batfleck not yelling "I'M THE GOD DAMNED BATMAN!"

"Bees. My god."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Going back a few pages but I haven't slept much and I can't help myself.

STAC Goat posted:

Batman is the heavy, Superman is the hero.

"Criminals are a bunch of superstitious and cowardly babies! HAHAHA! IT IS FUNNY HOW TINY THEY ARE! Laugh with me, Scout Wonder!"

Jamesman posted:

...What?

None of this makes sense and I think I hate it.

Edit: To be clear, I'm pre-judging this based on never seeing the show and it not even being fully released yet. It's just an initial response to limited information.

There's a LOT going on in WandaVision, but I'll try to give you enough context to explain what the hell is going on with this:

Ever seen that Justice League cartoon episode "Legends" with the Justice Guild where a mutated kid with crazy mind powers forcefully turns a city into a perpetual 1950's comic book? It's basically that, but it's a suburban town in New Jersey that's taken the form of an ever-evolving sitcom reality (each episode is a different decade). We don't 100% know if Wanda caused this herself or if she's being manipulated, but she's absolutely all-in on it and complicit enough to be considered a villain. Episodes usually take the form of tropey sitcom plots with the occasional crack in reality. Maybe it's the government trying to break in. Maybe it's one of the "neighbors" trying to break free. Maybe it's Vision having a moment of "wait, what?" Other than those interruptions, it's a paradise for Wanda and she will gently caress you up if you try and take it from her. Meanwhile, the government folks monitoring the situation can literally see these sitcom episodes via TV signals.

After she gives birth to twins, Wanda has a moment of bending character when she tells someone about how she is a twin and had a brother named Pietro, all while returning her Sokovian accent. Probing the topic further does not go so well for the other character, as it starts to break the fantasy. In a later episode, her kids, now older (long story) ask about her brother. Wanda stays more in character and is more vague about Pietro, saying that he's "far away" and that thinking about him makes her sad from time to time. The same episode establishes that while Wanda can potentially bring the dead back to life, she is incredibly reluctant.

In the final moments of the episode, during an incredibly tense moment, the doorbell rings. Wanda sees X-Men Quicksilver at the door, who gets a sitcom hoot-and-holler reaction from the audience and a personality similar to Uncle Jesse from Full House. He's all happy to see his long-lost sister. Watching this on TV, Darcy from the Thor movies wonders if Wanda actually recast her own brother. Wanda's reaction is shock and confusion, like she realizes something isn't right, but she embraces her "brother" regardless. Then Quicksilver makes a one-liner about Vision and the show ends.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Have Kraven the Hunter hunt down Ortiz the Dog Boy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Kraven but it's just John Wick in a leopard print suit

Kraven but it's just Future Convict Ted Theodore Logan in a leopard print suit.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

IT'S STIIIIIIIIING!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Davros1 posted:

Would that make the Suicide Squad version Darby Allin?

The villain of the new Batman movie ends up being a skateboarding Two-Face.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Going back a few pages for this one...

SonicRulez posted:

I thought we were supposed to leave Spider-Man 3 thinking the butler was in Harry's head. Did I make that up?

While the finished movie doesn't give the idea that the butler was a figment of Harry's imagination, it was definitely implied in the novelization. The novelization of Spider-Man 3 was a good deal longer, but also a more coherent story. It looks to be based on the full version of the script before a bunch of scenes (which were mostly filmed) got cut.

An early scene has Harry at home in his kitchen with the butler trying to console him. Harry doesn't want his help. The butler offers him some milk and Harry slaps the glass out of his hand, causing it to spill all over the table. He puts his head down for a second and when he looks up to apologize, there's no sign of the glass, milk or butler. So either that guy cleaned it up and cheesed it in record time, or Harry was just hallucinating. And if he was imagining him there, then any other scene with the butler is suspect.

So either the butler did tell him this news about his father at the eleventh hour or it was Harry coming to terms with what kind of person Peter is, especially compared to his psycho father.

Fangz posted:

There's a MK canon that people actually care about?

I literally make income off that poo poo.

Mortal Kombat's story summed up:

MK1: People from Earth need to win a martial arts tournament or they will be invaded by Barbarian World. Chosen One Bruce Lee saves the day.

MK2: Barbarian World's king Heavy Metal Skeletor goes "Double or nothing on my turf?" Chosen One Bruce Lee saves the day.

MK3: Barbarian World decides to just invade Earth anyway. Chosen One Bruce Lee saves the day.

MK4: Satan invades Earth. Chosen One Bruce Lee saves the day.

MK5: Two sorcerer villains decide to just team up and kill Chosen One Bruce Lee. Afterwards, they come up with a plan to take everything over with a zombie army. They actually beat the rest of the good guys!

MK6: Some elderly idiot spent his entire life thinking he was taking part in some holy mission from the gods, only to be a pawn in resurrecting Dragon Thanos. Dragon Thanos takes over the sorcerer guys' operation. Old Man Idiot saves the day.

MK7: Every MK character has a Royal Rumble match at a magic pyramid where the winner will get ULTIMATE POWER. There's a new main hero, but that doesn't matter. Heavy Metal Skeletor wins and is going to WrestleMania!

MK8: Non-canon crossover with the DC Universe. Fun fact: Sub-Zero is the only MK guy allowed to cleanly defeat Batman.

MK9: Seconds before dying, Dumbass Thunder God sends a message and visions back in time to his MK1 self. We go through the first three games with Dumbass Thunder God not having any idea what he's doing, but seemingly making things worse with each decision. Heavy Metal Skeletor dies, but there are barely any heroes left alive and we know Satan's on his way.

MKX: Turns out they didn't need Chosen One Bruce Lee to stop Satan after all! Jump forward a couple of decades and we have a new generation of good guys (led by Snarky Soldier Girl) and the new guy running Barbarian World isn't so terrible. Satan shows up again with a cool final form. Snarky Soldier Girl saves the day.

MK11: Satan's Mom is pissed and wants to reboot the timeline without Dumbass Thunder God there to annoy her. She causes some time rifts and everyone gets to meet their MK2 selves. Everyone hates their counterparts except for Scummy Cyborg Crime Boss, who totally wants to bang himself. Chosen One Bruce Lee, the other Chosen One Bruce Lee and Dumbass Thunder God do a Fusion and save the day.

Then, via DLC, one of the evil sorcerer guys shows up and goes, "GREAT SCOTT, MARTY! We have to go back to the future! But you have to give me the car keys and not question a single thing I say despite the fact that I'm the least trustworthy character in this series!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Sentinel Red posted:

Hey now, you forgot to include that he reunites the series most adorable, loved up power couple for one of the greatest love stories ever told.

Ah, yes. Interesting retcon there.

So originally as the story went, Shao Kahn invaded Sindel's world, killed her king, forced her to be his queen and she eventually killed herself. Then Kahn resurrected her years later as part of one of his plots and brainwashed her. She ended up overcoming the brainwashing and became a boring member of the good guys for the rest of the original timeline.

Then someone at NetherRealm Studios realized, "Wait, maybe we shouldn't have most of her story revolve around being a suicidal rape victim."

And then they retconned it so that there was never any actual brainwashing. Sindel killed her king for Shao Kahn. They were totally into each other. Her suicide was a murder made to look like she killed herself. Then in MK11, after being reunited, they act like the most romantic mass murderers. "I would shatter a million skulls just to watch you smile!"

Now there are MK fans all pissed about that change, claiming they ruined the character. They would rather see Sindel hugging her daughter than kneeing her right in the face. Go figure.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Davros1 posted:

Is the DLC stuff canon? Where does Jason, Freddy, Rambo, and Robocop fit into the overall narrative?

While the guest characters aren't canon, they do at least have their own endings in arcade mode. Plus for MKX, Injustice 2 and MK11, every possible character combination has like 3-6 different 3-line exchanges before each match. That leads to some crazy poo poo like RoboCop talking to Spawn about Malebolgia or Rambo matches tossing in as many Stallone movie references as possible.

For the hell of it, here are all the guest character endings because they're fun as hell.

MK9:

Freddy Krueger
Kratos

Injustice

Scorpion (as redesigned by Jim Lee)

MKX

Jason Voorhees
Predator
Leatherface
Alien Xenomorph

Injustice 2

Sub-Zero
Raiden
Hellboy (drawn by Mignola)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (includes Michelangelo's Harley Quinn impression)

MK11

Terminator
Joker
Spawn
RoboCop
Rambo

MK11 was also supposed to have Ash Williams, but due to the Gordian knot of Evil Dead/Army of Darkness rights issues, they couldn't go forward with it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

site posted:

e: okay the johnny scenes are pretty funny

Nice little touch: at one point you can see Young Johnny Cage looking through his older self's IMDB page.

Also, since he came up in this thread, I'd just like to note that I cosplayed as Mokap at NYCC in 2019. I am, as far as I know, the only existing Mokap cosplayer.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

site posted:

okay that liu kang/raiden sequence was cool as gently caress but gavok school me on which games it was cycling though

e: it is dawning on me now with this "single timeline" and dusting of characters that neverrealm extremely saw infinity war

It's mostly just them fighting through different backgrounds from previous games and claiming that they're alternate timelines. Despite that, two are actual alternate timelines.

The one where the background is a bunch of rock structures breaking apart is from Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe (MK8), where the two universes merging has a side-effect of causing people to rage out. Raiden is overcome with anger and is lashing out at Liu Kang while at the same time Superman is doing the same against Batman.

The one where they're on a pyramid is from Liu Kang's (non-canon) ending from Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (MK7). At the time, Liu Kang was a zombie and Raiden was in his rear end in a top hat mode.

Lurdiak posted:

But where does Special Forces fit in?

The garbage.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

site posted:

lmao holy poo poo that jax arcade ending

on the flip side: goddamn that jaqcui ending

Chuds got SO MAD about that Jax ending, crying about "white genocide."

Sentinel Red posted:

Mileena's MK11 ending is second only to Jax's, it's just the sweetest, most wholesome thing (er, apart from all the people she kills once she's Queen of Time). She finally gets the loving family she always wanted. Let that be a lesson to you, Kitana.

Personally a big fan of Fujin's ending. It's so idealistic that when Jax shows up in it, he looks exactly the same as he does in his own ending.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, I understand that, but Mortal Kombat handles it better than most already by siloing off Story so utterly from everything else. Like, not only were there Alive Version skins of all the dead dudes in MK10, they were the default. It'd be no problem to just move on with the story and introduce new characters that way, but not actually cut the character roster because all the old guys are still there, and gently caress it, they can even have young version skins and cheeky before-match dialogue about it. You could even go another generation forward and still let people play as Liu Kang, because what, that's somehow sillier than the Joker showing up?

Reminds me of Joker in Injustice 2. The whole starting point of the story was "Superman kills the Joker" and the second game wasn't doing the "bring in characters from the mainstream universe" plot, so having Joker show up as playable made no sense. In the story mode, he only showed up as a fear gas hallucination for Harley to overcome. So in the game itself, pre-fight banter would throw out some possibilities of who he is and how he exists, and he even had an ending that acted like he was real, but it wasn't part of the story so they could really do whatever.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Also a few months back they did an animated R-rated MK movie called Scorpion's Revenge that's pretty good. It's essentially the story of the first game, only Scorpion gets the Poochie treatment and the tournament is some vague version of Battle Royale.

It has Joel McHale as Johnny Cage, which is fantastic casting.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

site posted:

well now i'm curious as to which ending 12 will roll with because tsung's ending obviously leads to more conflict with realms not seen yet, which means more characters, but also most of the main cast is now gone. but liu kang, why would you restart the universe and then populate it with all those assholes

what a ride tho, definitely a fan now

And now I'm going to introduce you to a little fighting game called Guilty Gear where--*is sniped*

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Victor Bone

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

site posted:

i am watching the old animated mk movie The Journey Begins

Oh God. Why would you do that?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Fun fact: the people who made that movie also made the classic animated film FoodFight!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

site posted:

seth rogan made mk: a?

No, not Sausage Party. FoodFight! The infamous "Toy Story but with supermarket mascots" fiasco starring Charlie Sheen. It was the same people who made Journey Begins.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Shirkelton posted:

I mean, I don't want to tell a crappy version of his own story, but I think he used to have like a Gamefaqs thing that charted everyone's backstories and it got the attention of some of the writers, he talked to one of them (I think John Vogel?) who gave him props for it, Gavok explained his theory that Noob Saibot was actually the original Sub-Zero due to their timelines linking up and their shared fatalities and Vogel liked the idea so much that he got approval to use it.

That's pretty much it exactly.

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah so they killed his rear end offscreen in the games, and when they brought him back in 4 due to fan demand he was much more of a joke character.

They actually brought him back for MK Trilogy as played by a different actor (and realizing that it would be cooler to just have him fight with sunglasses on). Interestingly enough, his MKT storyline was played really serious. He was killed during the invasion, but Kahn took over Earthrealm right when Cage's soul was supposed to cross over. He's alive again, but knows that saving the day will undo that and kill him. He insists on doing the right thing and all the other good guys are inspired by his determined selflessness.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I have no regrets or axes to grind.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Soonmot posted:

Gavok is Nighhtwolf good? Dose he ever rise above standard indigenous spirit man?

He's still the indigenous spirit man and now has a glowing ghost wolf and glowing ghost bear at his side, but MK11 made him a lot cooler. Here are his intros and winposes.

I know that when Rare rebooted Killer Instinct a few years ago, they actually went and got the help of Native Americans when redesigning Chief Thunder so he was more authentic and less of a stereotype written by white dudes. Not sure if NetherRealm did the same thing for Nightwolf.

Well Manicured Man posted:

William Jackson Harper.

Time Knife of Infinite Earths

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

When I first met my wife, one of our first dates was seeing Dr. Strange. That led to me showing her all the previous Marvel movies while in return she got to show me all the Harry Potter movies.

Whenever Thor: The Dark World came up, she INSISTED I never showed her that one. I very much did, but no matter what I told her about that movie, she remembered nothing of it. Since she's at home all the time due to the pandemic, she's rewatched the MCU twice over. She still can't remember anything about Thor: The Dark World.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Dawgstar posted:

An MCU without Volstagg the Voluminous is the lesser for it. :colbert:

We'll have to make up for the lack of Volstagg by introducing Fat Cobra.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jamesman posted:

Also I thought Heimdall died in Thor 2, so I was really surprised when he returned in Age of Ultron. And then again in Ragnorok. And then again in Infinity War, where he actually died (I think).

This reminds me of an article I had to write in the lead-up to Infinity War where I ranked all the heroes from least likely to die to most likely. Of course, we didn't know about the Snap cliffhanger, so having Black Panther and Spider-Man as the least likely is a bit awkward, but in terms of characters who actually died by the time Endgame was over, it was an interesting set of guesses in retrospect.

Black Widow seemed unlikely due to her having a movie on the way. I figured if any Guardian was going to get killed, it would be Drax, the guy who has a major hate-on for Thanos and will in no way succeed in acting on it (or Kraglin dying due to being the Coulson of the team). Hulk was a strong possibility. But then there were the obvious ones. Vision had to die to set the plot forward, Loki wasn't long for this world and we were definitely losing Cap OR Iron Man.

Still, nobody was more obvious than Heimdall dying because Idris Elba was WAYYYY too famous and big a name to stick around in that role. That guy was getting Johnny Cage'd immediately and I was right.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jiro posted:

Did you ever insist to her to never show you the Potter movies past the third one? If so good on you.

No, but I did convince her to include RiffTrax for most of them.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I can’t untangle my memories of Iron Man 2 from those of the trailer. Pepper kissing the helmet before throwing it out of the plane, and the Iron Man/War Machine side by side are super memorable, and it’s nuts the former didn’t even end up in the final movie.

Makes me think of how awesome the leaked convention trailer for IM2 was. After the trailer seemed to end and they showed the logo, they then went to the scene of Hammer trying to sell Rhodey on all his different weapons. Just a full-on minute or so of Hammer going through each and every gun and missile.

"I'll take it."

"Which one?"

"All of them."

Suddenly it cuts to the first footage of War Machine as he shoots the gently caress out of everything in every direction as the audience loses their poo poo.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jamesman posted:

You should watch the story modes for the Injuctice games while you're at it. Probably also better than any actual DCEU movie.

Street Fighter V also has a cinematic story mode!

...it isn't very good.

But they were going to have a second story mode centered around a character whose deal is that he's Earth's avatar (like Kurt Russell is to Ego the Living Planet) in the form of a hobo amalgam of Lincoln/Uncle Sam with gold explosion powers who insists on being known as the President of Earth. God, G rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I respectfully disagree that anyone in modern Street Fighter rules.

Technically, G is sorta from Street Fighter 3, since he's very obviously some extroverted variation of Q.

Also, Ed is pretty cool just for the development of transforming Balrog into a loving father figure who hides his feelings under greed and toxic masculinity.