Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

site posted:

e: okay the johnny scenes are pretty funny

Nice little touch: at one point you can see Young Johnny Cage looking through his older self's IMDB page.

Also, since he came up in this thread, I'd just like to note that I cosplayed as Mokap at NYCC in 2019. I am, as far as I know, the only existing Mokap cosplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brosef
Jan 19, 2009

Gavok posted:

MK stuff
By the way, Sindel is a deliberate mashup of Black Bolt and Medusa, right? That can't be a coincidence.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yay kitana!

e: sonya FINALLY gets to kill kano!!

site fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 23, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Site I am enjoying reading you go through all these things and glad you're liking it. It's a fuckton of content but it's so goddamn entertaining. Props to Ed Boon for seeing this through all these years - it's his goddamn baby and people love it.

When you're done watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoVI0q0uBnw

Also this stuff is loving COOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-AECxvqObs&t=1s

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i knew it was gonna happen, but the jax v jax fight. oof. right in the feels

Vintersorg posted:

Site I am enjoying reading you go through all these things and glad you're liking it. It's a fuckton of content but it's so goddamn entertaining. Props to Ed Boon for seeing this through all these years - it's his goddamn baby and people love it.

When you're done watch this.

it is seriously way more entertaining than i would've ever expected, so i thank everyone who was posting about it earlier who convinced me to give it a shot!! and i will!

e: as much as i like cassie, and i really like cassie, jacqui deserves more screen time than she gets

e2: it's taken mehow many hours but i finally loving figured out raiden is batou from ghost in the shell lol

site fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 23, 2021

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

MacheteZombie posted:

Phoenix comes in and asks about the Joker initiative

"You call yourself the joker. That's funny, because I do too. But what if I told you there were . . . three jokers?"

[Smash cut to credits]

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Bring back Takeda and Kung Jin.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hanzo nooooo!!

Shirkelton posted:

Bring back Takeda and Kung Jin.

they just disappeared!!

e: uh oh raiden is at it again

site fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 23, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
okay that liu kang/raiden sequence was cool as gently caress but gavok school me on which games it was cycling though

e: it is dawning on me now with this "single timeline" and dusting of characters that neverrealm extremely saw infinity war

site fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 23, 2021

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

okay that liu kang/raiden sequence was cool as gently caress but gavok school me on which games it was cycling though

I believe it goes through the entire series in that sequence. There are specific things from specific games but they're mostly linear. Like, zombie Liu Kang with the chains on was from Deception, so the one before that was Deadly Alliance, and so on. The thing with "us fighting is what always leads to this!" is a major retcon though. It was never really a thing before MK9.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i don't know which one was deception, or deadly alliance, or so on, which was why i was asking

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I haven’t played a Mortal Kombat since I used to go over to this other kid’s house that had a Genesis and he’d get way too excited about fatalities, but I agree that trailer and the stuff in this thread is some very goofy fun entertaining bullshit.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

e: uh oh raiden is at it again

This sums up a large majority of Mortal Kombat

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Roth posted:

I think you are deeply confused

No, it's spot on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raiden is the solution to, and cause of, all of Mortal Kombat's problems.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

site posted:

i don't know which one was deception, or deadly alliance, or so on, which was why i was asking

It's not about previous games. It's about other timelines/realities that always bring them to the same point by Kronika's design.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

Going back a few pages for this one...

While the finished movie doesn't give the idea that the butler was a figment of Harry's imagination, it was definitely implied in the novelization. The novelization of Spider-Man 3 was a good deal longer, but also a more coherent story. It looks to be based on the full version of the script before a bunch of scenes (which were mostly filmed) got cut.

An early scene has Harry at home in his kitchen with the butler trying to console him. Harry doesn't want his help. The butler offers him some milk and Harry slaps the glass out of his hand, causing it to spill all over the table. He puts his head down for a second and when he looks up to apologize, there's no sign of the glass, milk or butler. So either that guy cleaned it up and cheesed it in record time, or Harry was just hallucinating. And if he was imagining him there, then any other scene with the butler is suspect.

So either the butler did tell him this news about his father at the eleventh hour or it was Harry coming to terms with what kind of person Peter is, especially compared to his psycho father.

I literally make income off that poo poo.

Mortal Kombat's story summed up:

MK1: People from Earth need to win a martial arts tournament or they will be invaded by Barbarian World. Chosen One Bruce Lee saves the day.

MK2: Barbarian World's king Heavy Metal Skeletor goes "Double or nothing on my turf?" Chosen One Bruce Lee saves the day.

MK3: Barbarian World decides to just invade Earth anyway. Chosen One Bruce Lee saves the day.

MK4: Satan invades Earth. Chosen One Bruce Lee saves the day.

MK5: Two sorcerer villains decide to just team up and kill Chosen One Bruce Lee. Afterwards, they come up with a plan to take everything over with a zombie army. They actually beat the rest of the good guys!

MK6: Some elderly idiot spent his entire life thinking he was taking part in some holy mission from the gods, only to be a pawn in resurrecting Dragon Thanos. Dragon Thanos takes over the sorcerer guys' operation. Old Man Idiot saves the day.

MK7: Every MK character has a Royal Rumble match at a magic pyramid where the winner will get ULTIMATE POWER. There's a new main hero, but that doesn't matter. Heavy Metal Skeletor wins and is going to WrestleMania!

MK8: Non-canon crossover with the DC Universe. Fun fact: Sub-Zero is the only MK guy allowed to cleanly defeat Batman.

MK9: Seconds before dying, Dumbass Thunder God sends a message and visions back in time to his MK1 self. We go through the first three games with Dumbass Thunder God not having any idea what he's doing, but seemingly making things worse with each decision. Heavy Metal Skeletor dies, but there are barely any heroes left alive and we know Satan's on his way.

MKX: Turns out they didn't need Chosen One Bruce Lee to stop Satan after all! Jump forward a couple of decades and we have a new generation of good guys (led by Snarky Soldier Girl) and the new guy running Barbarian World isn't so terrible. Satan shows up again with a cool final form. Snarky Soldier Girl saves the day.

MK11: Satan's Mom is pissed and wants to reboot the timeline without Dumbass Thunder God there to annoy her. She causes some time rifts and everyone gets to meet their MK2 selves. Everyone hates their counterparts except for Scummy Cyborg Crime Boss, who totally wants to bang himself. Chosen One Bruce Lee, the other Chosen One Bruce Lee and Dumbass Thunder God do a Fusion and save the day.

Then, via DLC, one of the evil sorcerer guys shows up and goes, "GREAT SCOTT, MARTY! We have to go back to the future! But you have to give me the car keys and not question a single thing I say despite the fact that I'm the least trustworthy character in this series!"

But where does Special Forces fit in?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Phylodox posted:

This is some deeply unproductive stuff. If you really don't want to talk about Snyder's movies, then don't, but I don't see the point of being needlessly reductive and antagonistic like this.

I mean phone posting here so I’m not going to go into a multi paragraph breakdown on why everything about those movies were horrible and painful to watch.

Everything from mischaracterization to criminally poor casting choices, a sepia toned splatter of washout to build on the bleak hell that world that Snyder created. This poo poo works fine for a standalone Batman movie but it’s wholly inappropriate when more colorful characters come into play. At some point someone forgot that superheroes are supposed to be fun. Don’t get me wrong: the marvel movies are largely poorly written, but no one can call them “Not fun”. Meanwhile at the end of the first Superman movie I found myself not rooting for anything but the ending. Superman wasn’t a hero. In BvS no one was a hero. There were no heroes here.

Not a good place to be if your whole thing is super heroes.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Chronologically, at the very start, then Sub Zero.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

site posted:

There’s one that’s Armageddon, one that’s Deception and I think the others are just random alternate realities with some visual references.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

site posted:

e: it is dawning on me now with this "single timeline" and dusting of characters that neverrealm extremely saw infinity war

It's mostly just them fighting through different backgrounds from previous games and claiming that they're alternate timelines. Despite that, two are actual alternate timelines.

The one where the background is a bunch of rock structures breaking apart is from Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe (MK8), where the two universes merging has a side-effect of causing people to rage out. Raiden is overcome with anger and is lashing out at Liu Kang while at the same time Superman is doing the same against Batman.

The one where they're on a pyramid is from Liu Kang's (non-canon) ending from Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (MK7). At the time, Liu Kang was a zombie and Raiden was in his rear end in a top hat mode.

Lurdiak posted:

The garbage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Shirkelton posted:

Chronologically, at the very start, then Sub Zero.

Sorry the answer we were looking for was

Gavok posted:

The garbage.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

No, it's spot on.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

So it’s like Being John Malkovich, but everyone gets to be Jesus instead?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gavok posted:

It's mostly just them fighting through different backgrounds from previous games and claiming that they're alternate timelines. Despite that, two are actual alternate timelines.

The one where the background is a bunch of rock structures breaking apart is from Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe (MK8), where the two universes merging has a side-effect of causing people to rage out. Raiden is overcome with anger and is lashing out at Liu Kang while at the same time Superman is doing the same against Batman.

The one where they're on a pyramid is from Liu Kang's (non-canon) ending from Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (MK7). At the time, Liu Kang was a zombie and Raiden was in his rear end in a top hat mode.

ty. the pyramid steps in particular showed up enough that i expected it was important

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

A talking coyote posted:

So it’s like Being John Malkovich, but everyone gets to be Jesus instead?

Pretty sure Aunt May said there's a Jesus in all of us in Spider-Man 2

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
okay this climax cribs heavily from infinity war lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

AccountSupervisor posted:

Hi BSS, I only lurk here but saw this post and its insane to me to see this because I knew jefferoo for years IRL, knew he was a goon but had no ides he was this infamous. He was closely involved in my college circle for a few years and boy do I have stories!

Anyways, Zack Snyder rules, sorry fans are jerks sometimes.

I love his DC movies and they speak to me personally. I get why people are put off by his take on DC, but I deeply love it.

Not all his fans are insane, I just want to live and work in a Hollywood where theres room for visions like Snyders and I support him hard because someday Id love to make a movie like Man of Steel or BvS. Thats it.

hey now

jeffaroo lore, go!

e:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The first murder was God murdering Adam by kicking him out of Eden. In response to this Adam became the Joker

we live in an adamah....

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhymenoserous posted:

At some point someone forgot that superheroes are supposed to be fun.
Someone pass that note to Ellis/Moore...

But seriously, Superman's death wakes Bruce from his blind hatred and pushes Diana back into actively dealing with the world's crises. Bruce has a whole Wounded King thing going throughout.

Like, I think that the whole reason they fight is contrived as hell but CGI Monster aside the ending kind of hit some good points.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
a good ending but also at the same time, there is so much time spent on the cage and briggs families in the first 2/3rds of the game that their complete disappearance from the climax is noticeable

e: lmao at this arcade ending for sonya where she kills Cthulhu

site fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 23, 2021

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The arcade endings where they just decide to do something completely insane are so good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Reminds me of how good Captain Cold's ending in Injustice 2 is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de39L6JQ1-I

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lmao holy poo poo that jax arcade ending

on the flip side: goddamn that jaqcui ending

site fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 23, 2021

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Gavok posted:

Nice little touch: at one point you can see Young Johnny Cage looking through his older self's IMDB page.

Also, since he came up in this thread, I'd just like to note that I cosplayed as Mokap at NYCC in 2019. I am, as far as I know, the only existing Mokap cosplayer.

Hah, I saw you!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Havik and chaosrealm just got name-dropped in the aftermath vid so I guess that will show up in mk 12, whatever it is

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Someone pass that note to Ellis/Moore...

But seriously, Superman's death wakes Bruce from his blind hatred and pushes Diana back into actively dealing with the world's crises. Bruce has a whole Wounded King thing going throughout.

Like, I think that the whole reason they fight is contrived as hell but CGI Monster aside the ending kind of hit some good points.

I mean Ellis and Moore actively hate the medium they work in. The entire thing was contrived. The whole must save Martha thing was so bad that I had to stop the movie and reflect for a moment that “Thor the dark world” was better than this and I literally don’t remember it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's a part in Thor: The Dark World where he awkwardly looks around for a place to put his hammer down after entering someone's apartment and then hangs it on the coat hanger.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Being British means I know a fair few people who have made pointing out that Thor: The Dark World got the underground stops wrong part of their personality

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

site posted:

lmao holy poo poo that jax arcade ending

on the flip side: goddamn that jaqcui ending

It's pretty drat good but the absolute classic Jax is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNkRvcUn6VM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

I mean Ellis and Moore actively hate the medium they work in.

no they don't