Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Julio Cruz posted:

can we add Laurence Fox to the Weetman embargo list already

Please. By this point, it's not even low hanging fruit, it's just spoiled, bruised fruit rotting on the ground.

524 is a deficient number, that is to say 524 is a natural number that is strictly larger than the sum of its proper divisors, i.e., the divisors of 524 without 524 itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Total Meatlove posted:

I work in a connected capacity, but not on the dedicated smart meters side The barely disguised panic comes from the interconnected and incestuous nature of the utility industry in the UK.

The history of the Data Communications Company and the network being created is the history of poor decisions though. (yay capita). To get agreement across a lot of the longer term objectives of any project, you’re looking at at least fourteen to twenty distinct companies and entities agreeing and being able to agree on standards and interoperability for legacy sets going back to the 60’s. I can see if anyone at work wants to do a tell all on how hosed it was, but to give you an idea, the current work being done to get energy data to anything approaching the open banking standards is to take til ‘23.

Cheers, don't worry about asking around for it, I just find it fascinating that more or less the same poo poo that caused the current rail networks issues are happening to the electricity network as well (and to telephony/internet I guess too). It's almost as if... privatisation is bad for the consumer?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

can we add Laurence Fox to the Weetman embargo list already

No... it is good very good content

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

StarkingBarfish posted:

Cheers, don't worry about asking around for it, I just find it fascinating that more or less the same poo poo that caused the current rail networks issues are happening to the electricity network as well (and to telephony/internet I guess too). It's almost as if... privatisation is bad for the consumer?

Nah we just need the incredibly efficient free market response in the form of behind-the-meter storage for all. Gotta keep the individualism death cult rolling.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The guy who services my boiler told me to wait as long as possible before letting anyone put a smart meter in, because they all have problems.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Go with Bulb, they keep delaying their smart meter rollout forever (prices are good too).

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I got a smart meter installed and then the energy company didn't send me any bills for over a year. It was fun but they realised their mistake last month and backdated the new bill they did eventually send.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Guavanaut posted:

Go with Bulb, they keep delaying their smart meter rollout forever (prices are good too).

Avro as well. They're the reason I'm now submitting manual reads even though I've new meters. At least it means I don't need to trepan myself on the basement ceiling every time I want to read the gas- I now just take it from the IHD.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

My smart meter always just says I've used £0 and it doesn't seem to have any influence over the bills I get.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

StarkingBarfish posted:

Avro as well. They're the reason I'm now submitting manual reads even though I've new meters. At least it means I don't need to trepan myself on the basement ceiling every time I want to read the gas- I now just take it from the IHD.

Careful with Avro if you try to leave them. Even though meter readings were submitted to switch away they insisted on using their internally calculated usage and kept taking money off us for months without telling us as they decided we still owed them money when they owed us.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Lungboy posted:

Careful with Avro if you try to leave them. Even though meter readings were submitted to switch away they insisted on using their internally calculated usage and kept taking money off us for months without telling us as they decided we still owed them money when they owed us.

That's handy to know- they haven't been great at incorporating my reads, some of their estimates have been way off.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Tory government decides not to investigate Tory government influence in the murder of a lawyer. Remarkable.

quote:

A public inquiry into state collusion in the murder of Belfast solicitor Pat Finucane will not take place at this time, the government has said.
Mr Finucane was shot dead by loyalist paramilitaries from the Ulster Defence Association (UDA) in February 1989.
His family had fought a long campaign, involving numerous legal actions, in a bid to have London fulfil a commitment given 20 years ago to hold an inquiry.
Several examinations of the case found state forces colluded in his murder.
NI Secretary Brandon Lewis said he had taken the decision due to other review processes needing to run their course.

"I am not taking the possibility of a public inquiry off the table at this stage, but it is important we allow ongoing PSNI (Police Service of Northern Ireland) and Police Ombudsman processes to move forward," he said.
PSNI Chief Constable Simon Byrne said it was his organisation's view that there were "currently no new lines of inquiry", and would now determine if a further review was merited given previous investigations.

Some determined feet-dragging, right here.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is there a thicker bunch of cunts in the world than the Brits?

https://twitter.com/DailyMailUK/status/1333448463284113413

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/joanna_louise0/status/1333322039067815936

I know Lawrence Fox is just a spoilt brat acting out because Billy got the house, the kids, the friends and the talent in the divorce but gently caress me he deserve the hate he gets.

I'm trying to be more patient with people these days but dear lord, I cannot possibly in good faith believe that an apparently functional human adult with a brain can be this wilfully stupid on so many levels at once.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm trying to be more patient with people these days but dear lord, I cannot possibly in good faith believe that an apparently functional human adult with a brain can be this wilfully stupid on so many levels at once.

The worlds a stage mate, people will say anything for enough money AND he's already an actor.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

"compliance is violence" i assume is him riffing on "silence is violence". It's got to be a deliberate part of his schitck of dropping loads of racist dogwhistles and the acting like the PC woke brigade are coming after him despite him being totally not racist at all, no racism here.

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

Anyone else spend a large chunk of today trying to decide what a "Substantial Meal" is and where things fall on the scotch egg food rating system?

Trying to order food in for a pub when you dont know how many people you are going to get in and what you have to serve them is a unique and novel nightmare.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Oh yeah I 100% believe Fox doesn't believe a thing he's saying and he's just angling to become another manufactured controversy generator in the Clarkson/Morgan mould, but I don't get why. He's already a well-off posho living a perfectly comfortable life as a third rate actor, he doesn't need to. And while people like Clarkson have said some pretty godawful bigoted and ignorant things this goes a step beyond, using his platform to spout garbage like this isn't just your standard 'belligerent dude being offensive', it's an active threat to public health, it's going to get people loving killed, and he knows it. I don't understand how that kind of person looks at themselves in the mirror tbh. I think the point I realised quite how bad he is was when even bloody Morgan was calling him out.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Mr Owl posted:

Anyone else spend a large chunk of today trying to decide what a "Substantial Meal" is and where things fall on the scotch egg food rating system?

Trying to order food in for a pub when you dont know how many people you are going to get in and what you have to serve them is a unique and novel nightmare.

It's stupidly vague. They should be using a definition like 'food served in or on reusable containers' which is still pretty vague but it'd eliminate most pub snacks unless someone is deliberately pouring a packet of crisps into a bowl. Even then it's pretty clearly a case of taking the piss rather than earnestly following the guidance.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
an inspiring message!
https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1333498533521936384

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh yeah I 100% believe Fox doesn't believe a thing he's saying and he's just angling to become another manufactured controversy generator in the Clarkson/Morgan mould, but I don't get why. He's already a well-off posho living a perfectly comfortable life as a third rate actor, he doesn't need to. And while people like Clarkson have said some pretty godawful bigoted and ignorant things this goes a step beyond, using his platform to spout garbage like this isn't just your standard 'belligerent dude being offensive', it's an active threat to public health, it's going to get people loving killed, and he knows it. I don't understand how that kind of person looks at themselves in the mirror tbh. I think the point I realised quite how bad he is was when even bloody Morgan was calling him out.
Covid denialism is what got David Icke kicked off twitter and not all the other poo poo, so I hope the same happens here and he ends up on Parler or Gab or whatever.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

loving lol the sense of pathetic cowardice is palpable, this man has never believed in anything his entire life and he's utterly terrified that anyone might think he has

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/1333021072875196417

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Choose your own adventure: Post-truth edition
The @nhs can’t cope... The @nhs isn’t fit for purpose. If you decide to minimise social contact so that you maximise your own chances of survival and preserve scarce resources, turn to page 94.
If you decide to indulge in behaviour harmful to yourself, your friends and society, please roll this book into a tube and feed it up your arse.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Guavanaut posted:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Please keep doing this poo poo Keith

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
Arnie as the Terminator was more capable of conveying genuine human emotion than Keir "T600" Starmer

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Also Bulb do a referral scheme thing of £50 each (credit rather than cash, but still), so if anyone is minded to switch it might be worth mentioning in-thread to sort something with another poster out if you were inclined

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I moved into a place with a smart meter and switched to SSE when I moved in. It hasn't communicated with them once in the 2 years I've been here.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I just want to give a heart-felt thank you to whoever introduced me to that reddit relationships thread over in GBS. They're currently debating whether a planned simultaneous group piss in a hot tub without your wife's knowledge is divorce-able material.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I just want to give a heart-felt thank you to whoever introduced me to that reddit relationships thread over in GBS. They're currently debating whether a planned simultaneous group piss in a hot tub without your wife's knowledge is divorce-able material.

:stare:

betaraywil posted:

My (25f) husband and two friends (all 25) peed in the hot-tub when I was sitting in it with them last night. I feel so disrespected and grossed out but he keeps saying "you're making WAY too big a deal of this."

quote:

Last night we did a small friendsgiving at my husbands parent's house who are out of town. It was mainly centered around his boyhood social circle, most of whom still have family that live in the neighborhood.

After we got done eating, a few of us decided that it would be nice to relax in the hot-tub and look at the lights of the city. We had been in maybe 5 minutes and my husband said "everyone ready?" his two friends gave a thumbs up and the in succession they each said "done." My husbands friend Sachim said done last and they all started laughing and the other two said "ok, we'll buy the next round." It was an obvious inside joke so I asked what they meant and they started laughing and explained the "hot tub pee game" that they had been playing since they were like 5 years old. I wanted to throw up and asked if they serioulsy all just peed in the hot tub. My husband said yes and it's no big deal. I was disgusted so I got out took an hour long shower and went to sleep in his sisters old bedroom and decided I didn't want to talk to him until today.

Today I feel like I've calmly approached him and tried to explain how dirty he made me feel, how unsanitary it was and how, while I appreciate that he has these long running rituals with his friends, he needs to stop the ones that would make him laugh in middle school and for certain leave me out of them.

All he keeps telling me is "relax, you are making WAYYYYY to big a deal of this."

I am sick of hearing him make excuses for this disgusting and childish behavior. How do I approach him to make him appreciate I need him to never do this again?

And the update:

(update) I posted the other day about my husband and his friends peeing in the hot-tub while I was in it with them. TLDR: we are getting a divorce.

quote:

I posted about this on Friday morning. We spend all day Friday fighting about how not only was it disrespectful but that he refused to even acknowledge my issues with literally being pee'd on.

Around 10pm I told him that if he said "you're making way to big a deal of this" one more time, I was going to file for divorce. He said it almost like he was daring me.

TL:DR: My mom and I are going to talk to an attorney today. My dad is a partner in his accounting firm and he thinks that since we are young and don't really have much, the divorce should be very quick and simple. My STBX husband has tried to called god knows how many times to apologize and saying he gets it now but it's way too late for that. It was too late for that when he and his friends did the initial act. I have more self respect than that.

Niric fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 30, 2020

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Niric posted:

And the update:

(update) I posted the other day about my husband and his friends peeing in the hot-tub while I was in it with them. TLDR: we are getting a divorce.
[/quote]

That thread is amazing. It's full of people saying "my partner is perfect except for this one thing!" and that thing being a hideous absolute deal-breaker to any normal person.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

namesake posted:

I got a smart meter installed and then the energy company didn't send me any bills for over a year. It was fun but they realised their mistake last month and backdated the new bill they did eventually send.

nb it is illegal for utilities cos to back date residential bills more than 12 months.
you might be able to at least get a small reduction on that.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/paulbranditv/status/1333499074755112962?s=21

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Niric posted:

Also Bulb do a referral scheme thing of £50 each (credit rather than cash, but still), so if anyone is minded to switch it might be worth mentioning in-thread to sort something with another poster out if you were inclined
This is also true and useful during winter. £50 credit each.

Like at least ask everyone in the hot tub if they want to join in first.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

someone posted this in yospos

remember the Excel maximum rows file truncation issue PHE had with their contact tracing data? that meant a lot of known contacts were not traced?
1,500+ deaths on Dido Harding's bloody hands

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/research/centres/cage/manage/publications/wp521.2020.pdf

quote:

Does Contact Tracing Work? Quasi-Experimental Evidence from an
Excel Error in England*
Thiemo Fetzer† Thomas Graeber‡ November 24, 2020
Abstract
Contact tracing has been a central pillar of the public health response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Yet, contact tracing measures face substantive chal- lenges in practice and well-identified evidence about their effectiveness re- mains scarce. This paper exploits quasi-random variation in COVID-19 con- tact tracing. Between September 25 and October 2, 2020, a total of 15,841 COVID-19 cases in England (around 15 to 20% of all cases) were not imme- diately referred to the contact tracing system due to a data processing error. Case information was truncated from an Excel spreadsheet after the row limit had been reached, which was discovered on October 3. There is substantial variation in the degree to which different parts of England areas were exposed – by chance – to delayed referrals of COVID-19 cases to to the contact tracing system. We show that more affected areas subsequently experienced a drastic rise in new COVID-19 infections and deaths alongside an increase in the pos- itivity rate and the number of test performed, as well as a decline in the per- formance of the contact tracing system. Conservative estimates suggest that the failure of timely contact tracing due to the data glitch is associated with more than 125,000 additional infections and over 1,500 additional COVID-19- related deaths. Our findings provide strong quasi-experimental evidence for the effectiveness of contact tracing.
Keywords: Health, Coronavirus JEL Classification: I31, Z18

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

Disnesquick posted:

That's kind of my point, really. China runs a big trade surplus and it doesn't seem like a beneficial relationship. What are they using that money to buy that they can't just make themselves? I'm hard pressed to see what Britain can provide that they would want in exchange for the vast amount of manufactured goods they send over. At some point the money has to convert to something or you've just handed over goods for nothing.

Edit: China still has an actual, real economy at this point. The UK has an economy based around a massive Ponzi scheme that assumes rates of growth not seen since before 2008 and even those rates were a fantasy built on the housing Ponzi. It's hard to imagine, having built things to the point they are, that China would want to exchange big chunks of productivity for a stake in such a flimsy illusion.

If you treat China as one entity, then you're right it doesnt make much sense, you need to look at the classes within countries:

https://www.ft.com/content/f3ee37e0-b086-11ea-a4b6-31f1eedf762e

quote:

“Trade war is often presented as a war between countries. It is not: it is a conflict mainly between bankers and owners of financial assets on one side and ordinary households on the other — between the very rich and everyone else.”

The economic success of China was the result of an extreme version of what the authors call the “high savings” model of development, together with exploitation of trade opportunities, which Japan pioneered. Thus, from the early 1990s and particularly after 2000, there was a sharp decline in the share of household consumption in China’s gross domestic product.

“As of 2018, Chinese households still consume less than 40 per cent of Chinese output — a lower ratio than in every other major economy in the world, by far,” the authors write. This is due to a host of mechanisms — high household savings, low interest rates, lack of rights of rural migrants in cities, regressive taxation, weak social safety nets and the failure of state-owned companies to pay dividends — all designed to shift income from workers and retirees to companies and the state.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Please get a smart meter. I know that in the initial rollout people got some poo poo ones and that damaged the usefulness of the programme overall but it really will make things better long term and does gently caress all to you in the short term. The new ones are fine.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Sometimes I wonder who would be the more principled and pragmatic leader; keith stammer or a single sheet of A4 paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Convex posted:

Sometimes I wonder who would be the more principled and pragmatic leader; keith stammer or a single sheet of A4 paper

The A4 paper has a limited capacity for reflection and is therefore the winner.