Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Fucks sake just realised they stopped making Ricicles back in 2017. I hate 2020 :mad:

yes I know I can just add sugar to rice Krispies but it's not the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Lungboy posted:

White chocolate Cocopops are your friend.

Thanks for the suggestion - I tried them but it's just not the same man :smith:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Soylent Yellow posted:

generally don't buy breakfast cereal, but at least once a year I'd see ricicles in a supermarket, buy them, and then rush home to shovel down at least two heaped bowls in the space of 10 minutes.

:same:

feels bad man

Checked on ebay and unopened packs are going for £35 plus £4 postage. I hate everything

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

peanut- posted:

Currently sat in a gathering with people from 10 different households. This is fine because it's in an office (COVID cannot spread in offices) and because I may perform the act of ultimate social utility: buying lunch in Pret.

They should introduce some kind of formal waiver system where you can do whatever the gently caress you want provided you sign a contractual commitment get your lunch from Pret.

Everyone in this magnificent country knows full well that once in a generation the economic gods must be appeased by a blood sacrifice, and our patriotic duty is to forfeit our lives into the dwindling flame of the unholy flesh engine to preserve the future for our beloved wealth creators. This has always been Conservative Party policy

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

I'm glad Rebecca Front is on the right side of this one :unsmith:

tbh her response seems incredibly friendly all things considered, real dick move to publish that on Twitter for everyone to have a go at her.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

This is the classy and intelligent thread where we post well sourced evidence and fire beans up our backsides.

Up?! Oh man I've been doing this all wrong

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

crispix posted:

Maybe Rishi is sufficiently astromically wealthy to transcend their racial prejudices

or maybe they've only heard him on the wireless and they think it's Tonty Bliar

Maybe Priti Patel has convinced enough people that your skin colour doesn't mean you can't also be an enormous racist

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

communism bitch posted:

Here's something I love about being a manager. There are two girls working in my office. They loving gossip non stop and do no work when I'm out of the office.

Usually I go out for an hour at 12,30 or 1ish for lunch and I know they just do gently caress all while I'm gone even though they take their lunches at 12.

Today I'm hanging around in the office and skipping my lunch. They keep casually mentioning the time in conversation as if to remind me it's time for me to leave so they can skive off for an hour.

I'm skipping lunch just to gently caress them off lol

oh no people might not be productive 100% of the time! gently caress them, right? thank god for managers

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

brown having spent his entire fiscally competent premiership banging on about "light touch" regulation didnt help

Claiming to have eliminated boom and bust was not a particularly good idea in retrospect

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
It's also ok to enjoy your job and work hard at it because you find it fulfilling, particularly if doing so helps improve your skillset and out you in a better bargaining position for negotiating training or something. A lot of it has to do with the company and management culture though. Most companies I work for treated employees like cattle and would throw you out of the window the second they thought it was possible to save a few quid.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Well great news, we won't be forced to give Abu Hamza lifetime free KFC bargain buckets and Waitrose can sell wonky vegetables again like in ye olde times. Now we just need to bring back workhouses and hanging and sort out those pesky age of consent laws

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i hate smokers when im doing a poo poo job. We get our breaks, lunch whatever, but smokers get extra smokers breaks on like a revolving smokers only rota. loving smokers.

The time is only stolen from their own lives though. It's a trap

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Who could have predicted that putting a conservative up against disaster capitalists could have pushed government policy to the right :thunk:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I always read "Michael Fabricant" in the same intonation as Johnny Rotten singing "pretty vacant" and nothing I read about him has made me feel bad about this in any way

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Ed just murdered the Pm on live tele.

What channel / programme is this on? Would like to see Ed getting one over on Boris :)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Gained 0.07% back from Japan.

Oh cool, we should all rewatch You Only Live Twice in celebration of our dumb, racist country :v:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I am glad Ed prevented David Miliband getting the leadership as regardless of effectiveness he was not involved in extraordinary rendition and other terrible practices. gently caress the Blair government for the terrible poo poo they perpetrated on the world

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Not sure if this was posted yet but:

Mail seem to be pinning this one on Johnson in a harder way than I expected...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/MichaelDugher/status/1306542775932981248

Tom Watson got bought off and is now a gambling lobbyist.

:ughh:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Why do Americans insist on writing the word 'period' as an additional sentence when they have in fact already used the necessary punctuation to end the previous statement, thereby creating an ellipsis

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

What exactly is he planning because he's said anything resembling a lockdown is out of the question. Unless he's just going to locally lockdown everywhere and just not call it a lockdown. That'd still be too clever. What useless plan is he going to come up with. It'll need to be something cruel but also does nothing to slow the spread.

£50 a week tax for a personal covid risk assessment from Atos, result of which allows people out of the house for non-essential purposes (i.e. everything that's not work). This way the poors will know their place

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/PGMcNamara/status/1306643329292161024?s=19

Didn't we just go through this? Didn't this just kill tens of thousands of people? How the gently caress are they still doing this.

Look they had their time and the economy needs to survive. It's standard conservative party policy, relax!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

loving hell that's brilliant

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/sep/18/escaped-uk-prisoner-tried-to-hand-himself-in-seven-times-court-hears

quote:

Akram Uddin admitted to absconding from an open prison to see his mother on 17 June. His lawyers told his sentencing hearing on Friday that seven times he asked police to arrest him for it and seven times they refused.

“This case, more than any other I have heard or have been involved with in my last two decades of practice, perhaps illustrates the extent of the managed decay of the criminal justice system,” Uddin’s lawyer, Liam Walker of Doughty Street chambers, told Maidstone crown court on Friday.

He detailed several attempts he said Uddin and his solicitor made to have him voluntarily taken back into custody at a south-east London police station. According to his solicitor, Kamal Channa of Brooklyn Law, he first walked into Lewisham police station on 13 July but was turned away.

During several attempts recorded by Channa, Walker told the court Uddin and Channa were variously told that there was and was not a warrant out for his arrest. Uddin’s final attempt was on 13 August, Walker told the court, adding that his client was told to go back to the police station six days later. One day before that, however, he was eventually arrested.

“It is utterly astonishing that, when Mr Uddin asked to be taken back into custody, he was refused. There is little more that an escaped prisoner can do than instruct his solicitor that he is going to a particular police station, attend that police station with a bag, say he has escaped from prison, give his full details and ask to be arrested and taken back,” Walker told the court.

“To badly paraphrase Oscar Wilde: to pass up the opportunity to arrest an escaped prisoner once may be regarded as misfortune, to pass up that opportunity seven times is an utter shambles.”

lol

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Conservatives, running the Labour party: why are our poll figures so low... wait, there's already a conservative party?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Question for some of the more knowledgeable / experienced in the thread: was the Thatcher era as crushingly hopeless and cruel as the current situation?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Unkempt posted:

Thatcher was very bad but there was some hope for things to get better. I can't see that anymore.

Thanks both, interesting to know :smith:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I grew up in the north east and was born in '79, so only have a memory of about the mid 80s onward. Bear in mind that my recollection of childhood there was that we always felt like we were about 5-10 years behind the zeitgeist of the rest of the country, so whereas the rest of the country moved on after the strikes, the north east was still full of very bitter ex mining communities she destroyed.

Back then, the attitude among people defending Thatcher was more 'well yes everything is poo poo, but it needs to be poo poo.' As in the papers were saying we needed to sell off the gas and electric, and everyone was just repeating whatever was said in the press. Which was a LOT more openly homophobic and racist.

Factories seemed to be closing loving everywhere. I think it hit harder up north because you had more people who expected to leabe school early, get a job in a factory, work hard, have kids, go to the pub of a weekend.

And then in the mid nineties Blair emerged, and turned the sense of loss and directionlessness into this bullshit about how everyone is middle class now. Generationally I don't think people understood it. Even when the callcenters and offices started to pop up in Newcastle and the riverside underwent a massive regeneration, the jobs they brought were still (quite rightly) not seen as 'proper work.'

Welfare was a lot easier. There was a perception that you could go on 'the dole' and the jobcentre wasn't as openly hostile toward the long-term unemployed, sick and disabled. If you had a doctor's note, and weren't actively taking the piss by working while claiming, they'd leave you alone.

The worst part of it was the social stigma, especially up north. My uncle Tom was signed off long-term and even my dad - his own brother - used to call him scrounger, lazy etc (from what I remember of Tom it's entirely likely that like me, he had some kind of ASD). He never had a job, and we never really spoke to that side of the family. He died a year or two just after the whole ATOS / hostile atmosphere thing came in.

But yeah, there was a huge social stigma against people who didn't have a job, but also there weren't any jobs. No 'proper' jobs anyway. So everyone seemed miserable and angry and downtrodden but couldn't let go of the communities they'd lost.

Whereas now there seems to be a lot more energy, though not necessarily in a good way. In the 80s, everyone kept their heads down and kind of gave up. People nowadays seem more energetic. Either with anger, or protest, or distraction, or just denial. There are more alternatives to the TV / papers now, which is why I feel like people aren't just slumping in defeat.

The biggest difference though is that in the 80s, any one of the scandals Boris has been through would have sunk a politician's career. I mean there were plenty of scandals, but it always seemed to be followed by a resignation.

Really interesting, thanks. Yeah the scandals thing is interesting and I think we're unlikely to go back to that anytime soon.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was 19. I was at uni in London. Almost all my fellow students voted Tory in the 1979 election. When I asked why, the response was "because my parents always have". So much for universities being hotbeds of lefties.

I have to say 'the bins' was a pretty bad time- the rubbish piling up in central London's squares for weeks etc, so it's not really surprising the tories got in. And the second half of the 70s had felt like unrelenting strikes. Even so, the 3 day week was under Ted Heath's tory government even though the right often quote it as one of Labour's failings.

With her nickname of Thatcher Milk Snatcher (she had taken away - apparently unwillingly and under pressure from The Treasury) the free 1/3pt bottle of milk all kids aged 7-11 used to get - though it was Labour who first cut it to secondary school pupils).

She wasn't popular so she threw a war party (Falklands) to boost her popularity and that trick worked.

Graduate perspective:
I graduated 2 years after she became PM into a world of very high unemployment - all the folders for companies in the careers office were empty, noone was recruiting, IIRC the 'milk round' didn't happen, and I've said before, 500 of the 'top' graduates of 1981 were recruited by IBM to start work after graduation and were sacked before starting. I have discussions with this with one of my nephews who has just graduated and starting a masters. For graduates, it was as dire then as now (though he won't believe it!) but the major difference now is graduates have £00000s of debt hanging round their necks which most of my contemporaries including myself did not as we had 'grants'.

Other adults:
For adults in the workplace, Thatcher swore to bow the unions and the attacks were full on. The Miners' Strike of 1984/5 was the biggie with Arthur Scargill as leader of the NUM. And division was sown as an alternative to the NUM was started up, I can't recall the ins and outs of that too well. But anyway, turned out Scargill was right. He said the govt were planning to close the mines and they did. Whole communities that depended on mining were destroyed.
Mining wasn't the only industry destroyed, manufacturing was also wrecked, council houses sold off with no rebuilding, and "Working for Patients" was released - the start of the destruction of the NHS (this is when I started working as a temp in the NHS and eventually became permanent working on the dreaded "asset register", then the disaggregation of assets to the newly created Trusts that came out of it all).

And the poll tax.

Oh and there were riots in Brixton, Liverpool (Toxteth) and various other places - I worked in an alarm company for a couple of years (before NHS) during the riots and the company made a packet because with all the rioting, alarms were going off non stop all over the place.

Oh and this - might well have contributed to rise of terrorism in the Middle East (though the British have been funding/arming extremists in that region since the 19th century - see Secret Affairs by Mark Curtis).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arPP37g1Rmo

I was based in London during most of her reign and we did not have it as bad as northerners.

In some ways Thatcher was not as right wing as some in the Labour Party these days.

The 70s saw some strong female politicians including Labour's Barbara Castle. And though I despise Thatcher, I'm not sure that the first female Prime Minister could have been different in "having more balls than her entire cabinet" (who were all male). If it had been Labour to have the first female Prime Minister, it would have been the same though opposite politically obviously.

For women to break through back in those days (only 40-50 years ago), you really had to be almost a caricature of 'male', a super bitch - no scope for showing any kind of basic humanity or sobbing in the bogs or running off to complain to HR if a colleague pinched your bum. That really has only changed since the 90s.

Ed: apologies for this being a bit disorganized and rambly.

Very interesting, thanks. I guess that the difference today is that we know exactly how cold and detached the Tories are vs. potentially at the start of Thatcher's reign there wasn't quite the precedent?

Also please could you elaborate on the point that Thatcher was not as right wing as some modern Labour politicans? I'm curious what she might be considered a liberal on.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Angepain posted:

The paywall there stopping me from reading any of the article is inconvenient, yes, but I'm not sure we can blame the Labour Party for that one

https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome/blob/master/README.md

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

happyhippy posted:

I buy my children from Nandos. Where do you get yours?

Kentucky fried children

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Between watching The Boys and reading this thread I think I've filled my lifetime quota of hearing the word 'oval office' in the last few hours.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

I don't get what's going on here. Am dumb?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'm beginning to think that most politicians are in fact not good

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Right so if this thing even existed (which it doesn't) we would still be hosed if we're not rich. At least they are consistent about it I suppose

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Is there a bigger :ughh: because I think we'll need it over the next few years

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
JK Rowling's new thriller takes No 1 spot amid transphobia row

meanwhile, glinner sits at a darkened kitchen table in his empty house, cradling a cup of cold tea and penning his latest daily mail guest column

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Isomermaid posted:

Why does this look like a Burger King ad

it's cheap, tasteless and ultimately devoid of ethics

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

VideoGames posted:

She is the person who blocked me for saying Wances Freetman.

I thought someone saying Wonathan Jalker was very funny because it wound Wonathan up, and it turns out, this does seem to annoy many bad blue ticks.

Gideo Vames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Please can we stop posting about weetman, every time I see a tweet my blood pressure spikes