Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The main thing for me is the commute cost. I don't even have to commute from outside London and I'm saving so much on tube fairs that I can't imagine going back to the old routine.

To say nothing of the millions of commuters from the surrounding counties who are suddenly saving up to £500 a month that they would have given to Greater Anglia et al. People will have adjusted their lifestyles around this change and getting them to go back to 'normal' won't be an easy ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Crank one out, surely. You don't "crack" out a wank like your penis is a christmas cracker or a fortune cookie (i hope)

Nah it's crack, like a whip. Kw-chhh.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Can't wait to send the Tories packing and put Jezza in Number 10.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Angrymog posted:

I also miss the bicycle and luggage carriage. If the main train was crowded you could just go into that and as long as you didn't mind sitting on the floor you had peace and quiet, because the conductor didn't care that you were there instead of a passenger carriage.

I don't know how people could stand to leave stuff in that carriage, anyone could walk away with anything.

Airport baggage claim areas are the worst too, always makes me anxious.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

She's given so many chances. What the gently caress.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Angepain posted:

Not having looked into the details about a particular case when it involves your department and it's been in the news for a sodding week, what the gently caress did you think you were going to get asked about

And the response basically implies that it was her fault for not correctly untangling the Home Office's beurocracy before dying.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

the only legitimate reason to have just 6 chips on your plate is if you've already eaten several dozen chips and there will soon be none

Or they're actually six massive roasties.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It reads like a passage from American Psycho.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

big scary monsters posted:

Ah, the experience I miss most about my office job - leaving early for an afternoon in the sun. Dossing off and going outside is truly the one thing work from home has made impossible.

e: I guess the joke is that with no commute you get to finish early every day now

Yes but at home you can only doss off in the sun with your family and friends. At work you can enjoy some quality time in the pub with your *checks notes* boss and receptionist.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/p_hearn/status/1301468721702219778?s=19

:discourse:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

Who the gently caress drinks five coffees a day every day you'd loving die in a week.

I used to have one really strong coffee when I woke up, and then had at least two at work. And those two each had two of the nasty Nescafe sachets in them - so it probably worked out to 5+ normal strength coffees in total.

I'm still here but I crashed hard at 3pm every day and felt like utter poo poo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BalloonFish posted:

God, the Great British Public (Twitter User Division) really are thick.

"Why do you have to be political Co-op, why can't you stick to being a convenience store?"

At least the replies gave my blocking finger some good exersize.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Can someone set one up for the tenant?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

uuuuuggghhhhhhhh my head is killing me

What's everyone's favourite hangover cure, gimme

Big gently caress off Chinese.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, but then it's an effort question. I have a Morrisons & Tesco on the way home, I have to go walk 30 minutes from the town centre to get to Lidl. Does Lidl do just the one malt or do they have a Speyside, Highland, Islay etc? Coz I like them all but sometimes you're in the mood for something that tastes like an ashtray & sometimes you want something almost like water (hyperbole but Dalwhinnie is really smooth).

Ok, i answered my own question, they have a malt from each of the major styles/regions, & their Islay is apparently a delight. So I guess maybe I should be less lazy & actually go to Lidl one of these days.

I just ask everyone for whiskey each Christmas and usually what I get lasts me until October or so.

Doesn't stop me from drinking way too much very strong beer every week though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Julio Cruz posted:

the govt are already going all-out to blame this rise on the young for going out and having fun which the government told them they could when they opened the pubs back up

20 people drinking together in a single building is bad, unless they're paying for their drinks in which case it's fine and good, actually

I was supposed to be getting married today, which I guess would've been perfectly fine if we skipped the ceremony and all of the guests just went to the pub instead of the reception.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

She does feel like she got steadily more left wing over the last few years. I seem to remember she used to be more melty at the guardian.

IIRC she's mentioned that she was expected to write with a certain slant at the Guardian and they removed an article which wasn't melty enough.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Trying to get a respiratory condition diagnosed this year is really loving fun.

"You're coughing heavily at night? Probably covid, better have a test."
"Oh it's negative? Hopefully it'll go away on its own in a few weeks."
"It's the same after three months? That's long enough that you should have another test."
"The cough is far worse and you're struggling to catch your breath? Only covid could explain this change in symptoms." :bang:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao Nandy is leading that one now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guavanaut posted:

Masks work, distancing works, most vaccines work, space exists, and pushing the button gets you the green man faster in 99% of the country even if it doesn't for that that one crossing on Marsh Wall that was designed by The Worshipful Company of Eel Nonces in 1792 and has to be wound up every morning. Just push the button with a penny if you don't want to touch covids.

A penny probably has ten times as many diseases (including a few covids) as a button.

If I need to touch a thing and I don't forget that we're living in hellworld I usually just use my sleeve.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

kecske posted:

the xbox thread is 90% iterations of 'xbox sucks lol'

The XBox does suck tho

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bessantj posted:

This man has had far too much exposure. Do you know he has a patreon? £6 a month gets you "access to progress updates about my music and my commentary on political and social events. Interact with posts and give me your comments." Three times that gets you the same thing, plus a mug. A loving mug for £24 a month! And £120 a month gets you a Q&A session, early access to gig tickets and dinner with him once a year. In a sane world this would be illegal.

UKMT could definitely pool together £120 per month to send someone to that dinner.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

justcola posted:

I was wondering if anyone knew why young people talk on the phone via the loudspeaker? I lent my phone to a lad and he put it on loudspeaker straight away then starting talking to it like a Star Trek communicator - I noticed it a few years ago when I was managing another guy on work experience and he was trying to book a venue - but it just seems odd to me. I could understand if their hearing was hosed or it was a way of having your friends hear a conversation or something, but I don't know really.

or is that question just cringe 😂😂😂😂

I do it if I don't have headphones in already and I'm on my own. I just hate having my phone up to my ear.

It also allows me to sneakily browse Twitter and forums while speaking to the GP or whoever.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

E: loving twitter taking all the fun out of things:

They'll have egg on their face if he really is dead.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Use it as a reason to go for longer lunches. Everybody wins. (Except the boot of capitalism, which makes an incalcuably small loss).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

VileLL posted:

is it a oval office move to use the covid reporting service thing when a neighbour's decided that a regional spike is the perfect time to stick a dozen people under a tent in his garden, in a street mainly filled with olds

Probably yeah, but do it anyway.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ThomasPaine posted:

I'd like to think that bringing back hanging would cause enough public outcry that even bojo wouldn't be dumb enough to try it but honestly a solid 40% of the country would probably be thrilled so who the gently caress even knows anymore.

It just seems like such an obvious step backwards for society. It's one of those things - like public healthcare - that it's just really difficult to imagine a rational, sensible human getting wrong. Even if they have the empathy of a cockroach.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jose posted:

so after making corbyn the villain in her last book she's gone for this

Awful. And IIRC the villain of the third book is a benefit cheat faking a disability.

It's almost like she's using this dumb garbage series to put forward some personal views.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

stev posted:

Trying to get a respiratory condition diagnosed this year is really loving fun.

"You're coughing heavily at night? Probably covid, better have a test."
"Oh it's negative? Hopefully it'll go away on its own in a few weeks."
"It's the same after three months? That's long enough that you should have another test."
"The cough is far worse and you're struggling to catch your breath? Only covid could explain this change in symptoms." :bang:

Turns out a GP telling you to get tested doesn't help with the process of actually getting a test on the NHS, so I'm forced to pay for one privately if I want to receive any further investigations/treatment for something totally unrelated.

Surely there must be a lot of people in limbo who need a test to get other stuff looked into, but can't afford to just buy one.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Communist Thoughts posted:

this sounds amazing but its probably just him saying something and people laugh but bojo is still alive and pm

Johnson looked very sad and shook his head a lot, just like he did before winning a general election.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

You're not allowed outside after 9pm. So if you're already in a pub you can stay there, but God help you if you try to leave.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It seems to come from this idea that he looks presentable. Like if you saw a photo of him in a suit and knew nothing else about his policies, you'd think "Oh he looks trustworthy."

Which is sadly about as much as most people are willing to engage with politics. It's the exact same poo poo the melts were all saying about Starmer until he opened his mouth.

David looks like a right prick though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Noxville posted:

https://twitter.com/peston/status/1305940592279670784?s=21

Using Peston to trial policy announcements again. But what a loving stupid idea, it was a right gently caress on for me to get to see my GP last month despite severe hypertension, and would have probably not been possible with every person with symptoms taking a spot in front of me.

Sounds like an excellent plan to put everyone with covid symptoms in a building together with GPs and people with unrelated medical conditions.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They chose a pretty loving good song regardless. :colbert:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/thugclive/status/1306648117245284354?s=19

:laffo:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/thugclive/status/1306932617338593294?s=19

This is all getting very confusing. I think we need to hear from Tim on the matter.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Puntification posted:

So my partner has gotten two covid tests over the last couple of weeks and mailed them off - they've both been lost and trying to chase the latest one up with the call centre she was told that due to high call volumes they are no longer looking for mislaid tests.

One day they'll discover massive caches of untested swabs in the sewers, like the fatbergs.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Red Oktober posted:

It's just a wipe in the back of the throat and then around the inside of each nostril, very simple. Then I bagged it up for them to take away.

I've done a couple of tests at home since the pandemic started and I really struggled with it. I don't know if it's my gag reflex or what but I couldn't bear to have the swap at the back of my throat for more than a split second before I needed to get it out. Horrible experience.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Found the worst take:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1307586620418396160?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

gently caress. As well as being horiffically racist, they're going to have her suit on backwards after the whole shoes thing on election day.

Yeah if they managed to make Kanye a racist caricature I can't imagine what they'll do to one of the most racially abused people in the UK.