Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Posie Parker sounds like a villain from a 1940s children’s novel.

So this is something I feel a bit guilty about.

I heard about this Posie Parker person last year (visa vie some article about Terfs and a woman who realized she had been radicalized by them.) And I was convinced that they were talking about the actress Parker Posie.

So when I watched Season 2 of Lost in Space, I was convinced that she was this awful woman going around spreading hateful stuff in the world. I didn't realize that was another dickhead who has chosen an incredibly similar name.

It would be like if there was a man named Ceremy Jorbyn who threw wild minks and ferrets at people on the street, and it got pinned on someone else instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I saw this cool article floating around on Twitter today.

https://onezero.medium.com/the-privileged-have-entered-their-escape-pods-4706b4893af7

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The womb bit is a bit weird, but the rest makes sense as a particular expression of

Well the use of Womb in the article makes sense since it was the description given by Dr. Timothy Leary. The author just ran with it.

And he was spot on in that the technology was originally being designed (or at least theorized and written about) by white, male. So obviously he was highlighting how it would end up there wouldn't be non-white men or women in this space.

I did like the notion that the billionaires who are looking at private armies to build their fortresses fails at the same level that Doomsday preppers fail at basic things when Covid hit.

It's like the idea that natural disasters just roll over the stupid.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I was just reading through some news stories, and came across a bail application for a woman accused of fraud.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...k-39495433.html

This part made me chuckle.

quote:

Ms Farrell also referenced a newspaper article describing Ms Damji's father as a "property tycoon".

However, Mr Justice Hunt said he "wouldn't believe everything in the Daily Telegraph", and described it as a "Conservative rag".

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

It's weird because Leary was weird, in the same way that Giger would probably have the internet as mechanical dicks.

It's funny that Leary committed the exact same failure of imagination though, his big idea was "if everyone did psychedelic drugs then we'd all tune in and there'd be a lot less problems and we'd be more connected." Which suffers from a white guy standpoint issue, because everyone from Ernst Jünger to Atomwaffen did a ton of psychedelics and it didn't stop any of them being racist fucksticks.

Maybe he recognized some of his own failure of understanding human nature in the MIT book.
The failures of others we hate the most are often reflections of our own failings.

quote:

Preppers failed at staying at home, which should be the easiest part, but turned out to be the hardest for them.

Preppers failed for that reason. But also, because at their heart the Preppers want the situation to go full Walking Dead so they have an excuse to shoot brown people.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

This is just that Simpson meme in real life.
“Now when I stamp on your foot and say “Hello Mr. Thompson” you nod.”

And just like Homer Simpson, she thinks Kay Burley is talking to another politician instead.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

If so my only wish is that my body is made into more fudge.

Why else do you think he was going to murder you?

The secret ingredient in SolyentAwful Fudge is posters.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Yeah so the Brexit stuff has been the top story on the news over here all day. I think one thing that Bojo fails to understand at all (or is willingly ignoring) is that even if reneging on your deal as part of some super high risk negotiating strategy and it does work....

You've completely killed your credibility. Like why should anyone trust you with future trade deals, when you have shown that you are willing to break deals to try and get what you want.

Whenever I have to give lectures on Ethics, I go to the Tony Montoya school of thought.

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for no one."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

He doesn't give a gently caress

These people are nihilists, The Question IRL

Here's the thing. I don't think that is true.

I know I bring it up all the time, but when my daughter died last year I learnt an important lesson.
We will all accept a narrative that is awful and horrible and even completely factually wrong if it makes "sense" over a more correct but chaotic truth.

Johnson being a nihilist who doesn't care what happens or him being a disaster capitalist that is going to make bank out of Brexit makes sense.
It's a credible motivation for the villain to have and it means there could be a scene where we look through his office and like Marge in "Homer Vs. The Mono Rail" we'd find a damning cartoon drawing that would prove our suspicion.

But I don't think that's what is happening here.
I suspect (to go back to a dramatic trope example) you would get your answer if you spoke to Bojo for more than 15 minutes. (Or read an account of someone who has spoken to him for more than 15 minutes.)

He's just an egotist who has never suffered any actual consequences and assumes he never will.
Don't believe me?

This is a man who bragged about how he would shake hands with Covid Patients.
What happens? He got Covid.
For a normal person that would be a road to Damascus conversion. A realization that change must occur.
For BoJo all that happened was he thought he needed to lose weight and it wouldn't happen again.

Bojo almost certainly has a distinct nihilist part in that he doesn't really care what happens to the UK. But for someone truly motivated by Nihilism you look at Gove or Patel.
Borris almost certainly has a financial contingency plan in place so he will be fine when it goes tits up. But I think the real Distaster Capitalisits are Reese Mog and maybe your new rich boy Chancellor of the Exchequor.

No with Boris this is all about his Ego (as is Cummings.) That's why he hobbled May's deal, it is why he recreated the deal and pushed it through and that is why he is trying some sabre rattling to get a better deal.
It's the type of Tan move that all those other Tan's throughout history have done and Boris venerated them.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jel Shaker posted:

i wonder if n ireland will secede into a third country, neither u.k. nor ireland, but then i remember that they get so much cash from westminster that it’ll probably implode within weeks if it did that

I'm fairly sure that NI succeeded from the UK and then splitting into an independent nation is a compromise that would please none of the people who live there.

So it's what the Centrists would want.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

teacup posted:

can someone explain to an idiot Australian what this brexit backflip means, why Johnson is doing it and what it means for Ireland/ Northern Ireland?

What would a no deal mean for Ireland / ni also?

I really don’t get it. Why would he do it?

Another huge problem is when goods checks and boarders are spoken about, there is no boarder between the Republic and Northern Ireland. It's the width of most of the country and runs through many people's farms. Trying to have a boarder is like the wall between Mexico and the US, but with fewer mountains.

Also second, Boris has been constantly saying that enough technology can solve the problem. (Spoken like a man who doesn't in any way understand technology and probably calls scientists "boffins.")
Not realising that if you put up cameras or any sort of gates they will immediately be burnt out by locals.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

'Enough technology' probably means he fakes an attack against the UK by Ireland and then the entire NATO dogshit crew has to join in.

You know he's considered it, because it does solve the border.

I mean, noted diplomat and Banshee, Priti Patel did think that the Irish should be starved into compliance. So maybe "peaceful invasion" is supposed to be a step up.

Tory MP suggests using possible 'no-deal' food shortages to force Ireland to drop the backstop

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I read that Twitter post as "Gove worries about Ultron."

Which makes sense. I too am afraid of a screaming Robot that wants to hate gently caress organics to death. That would even cover fish people like Gove.

https://media.comicbook.com/uploads1/2014/10/ultron-return-splash-page-110477.png

*Ultron, about to pull the "Do Brexit switch" The opposite of Jeremy Corbyn's "Stop Brexit button".*

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yet another bank is telling me I will have to put an app on my smartphone to access online banking soon.

To this day, I just cannot see how an app on an easily stolen smartphone and (for most people) with verification codes being texted to the same device is more secure than a laptop. I would have thought it would be desperately insecure.

Personally, I have a non-internet 'dumb phone' as my main phone and my smartphone is a different device so my verification codes will be going to a different device. But I know that's not how most people operate.

Can someone enlighten me as to what point I am missing?

poo poo news.

So I an sure the more technologically trained posters will correct me, but when GDPR was coming in we attended a lecture on it.

We were told that to maintain compliance we would have to Encrypt our computers/laptops (so either buy Windows Professional or get a Mac) but not our phones.

When asked why we were told that phones were already encrypted, and that you needed a Pin to unlock and decrypt them.

When then asked what was the point since you needed a Pin or Password to start laptops and got a shrug.

If I had to guess that's probably their reason. That and 2 Factor Authentication is all about using your phones nowadays.

(RIP when Blizzard sold a small dongle authenticate for World Of Warcraft logins.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The pushback against Smashed Avacados was always mental.

It's a nice lunch food (you are just spreading Avacado on toast. Adding a bit of salt, olive oil and tomato to taste.) But it's not ruinously expensive.

It's not like those £80 beef sandwiches they marketed to bankers back in the day.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The Dáil (the ROI version if Westminster) has a bar across the road from it.

It's an open secret but the pedestrian crossing that is between the Dáil bar and the Dáil is one where if you press the button it changes to green for the pedestrians almost immediately.

All so our ruling classes can leave the pub and get back to do important votes in the most minimal amount of time.

forkboy84 posted:

gently caress off you boring twat

Kris Kristofferson was right in his song "Jesus was a Capricorn."

The drivers hate the cyclists who hate the commuters who hate the pedestrians. Most of us hate anything that we don't understand.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 10, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I was just recommend to read the Xbox thread (the recommendation was from the Playstation thread of all places).

There has been a multi-part derail there on Americans and Europeans debating the strengths of Credit Cards over Debit Cards. It is bizarre.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So the Attorney General has made a statement about the upcoming Brexit legislation.

https://twitter.com/sebastianepayne/status/1304066214596153345?s=21

As has been pointed out by others, that if a First Year law student tried giving that definition of Dualisim, you’d fail them.

Totally normal for 2020.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I don't think anyone ever challenged if it was legal or not? Just that it's a loving terrible idea.

Oh I know it's not Legal.
More that this was the best justification that the AG (whose job is to be the Government's Lawyer to give.) could give.

It's a stunningly bad description of what Duality for National/International Law means.

Like this is some "Wesley Snipe's Accountant" level of wrong.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I have the legal knowledge of a pigeon, what's so bad about their description?

So the commonly accepted notion of Dualism is that you have National Law and International Law. International Law by itself has no use at a practical level, so it is incumbent on the country to translate International Law into National Law.

Basically when a country signs up to an International treaty (or even EU treaties) then the country has to create a version of that law in their own statue books. If existing National Law contradicts the National Law, then you amend the National Law.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monism_and_dualism_in_international_law

But the UK'S Attorney General is too Brave(rman) to accept this.

In her announcement she has side "Dualism. That's where you have International Law, right. And you have National Law, right.
Two strands of Law. And dual means two.
Jobs done.
Only we like National Law more than the International Law so we are just going with that one over International Law. It's got too many foreigners in it."

It's essentially what would happen if you asked a student to define Dualism and they started waffling because they had no clue what the question meant.

Here is the Professor of Law at Cambridge explaining why what she says is bollocks. Only he is being far kinder in his language than I would be.

https://twitter.com/ProfMarkElliott/status/1304076133827309569?s=19

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 10, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Shouldn’t he be spending more time trying to find the one armed man who murdered his wife?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Came to post this, yes, it was never even known about during the war, they found it in a cupboard somewhere I think in sometime in the 2010s.

I heard it was found in someone's shed. Making it a part of the grand tradition of a British person making an incredible discovery in their back garden shed that makes them rich.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

justcola posted:

I find the lack of outrage over deaths to be very strange. There was more hoo-ha about the horse meat scandal or Jade Goody than thousands and thousands of people dying and all the lives affected by that. I know thousands of people dying is hard to comprehend, yet people are just itching to eat a £3 meal deal and have a pint at spoons than think how our actions each affect one another and the repetitive gently caress-ups by the government.

This year has really changed how I see the country, I'm still not sure how it sits with me. I used to be optimistic and have faith in individuals, now, less so.

My personal observation is every year I go back to 2008's The Dark Knight and I always find a quote that fits to the time.
I think this one is apt.

quote:

The Joker:
You know what I've noticed? Nobody panics when things go "according to plan." Even if the plan is horrifying! If, tomorrow, I tell the press that, like, a gang banger will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics, because it's all "part of the plan". But when I say that one little old mayor will die, well then everyone loses their minds!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

kecske posted:

Only the healing power of punk rock can save these children now

Those kids need for Jack Black to show up and teach them how to rock.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

crispix posted:

Holy poo poo NI has had one for months now lol

my ma was even able to install it unassisted :/

Is the NI app the same as the RoI app?
We have had it for a good few months now, but I wasnt sure if NI would use the same as the RoI App?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

tbh the idea of the government formally 'opting out of' human rights law doesn't really fill me with a huge amount of dread because they do that all the time anyway whenever it's convenient and no one cares or does anything so really not much is changing

Just bear in mind, opting out of the European Charter of Human Rights (which is different to the EU, but it’s something that has been on the track for some time with the march to Brexit) is one of the last things holding England back from bringing back the death penalty.

And the fact that the current Secretary for State has expressed a (really dumb and legally dubious) desire to bring back the death penalty.

That’s something to be concerned about.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My sister has to keep the tap in the basin in the upstairs bathroom* dripping slightly because her kitty (who looks like your kitty) will only drink water from that tap and jumps in the basin to do so.  (Of course, when sister &co are away kitty will drink from an official water bowl.)
* she has a downstairs 'cloakroom' hence my reference to 'upstairs'. Else :guillotine:
There's a reason why cats do that!They are conditioned to seek out moving sources of water to drink over stagnant ones, believing that it will be fresher. Thus why they like drinking from taps. You can even buy mini water fountains for cats to drink from.
I also know the pain of a cat who doesn't believe in your right to go to the bathroom in privacy. My second cat, Lara Crofft Cat does it all the time.What's worse is she is a strong chonk who has learnt to open doors with her teeth. There is no escape from her.

(Lara is the black and white one on the right. Her sister, Amy Whinehouse, is on the left.)

Ms Adequate posted:

Partly that but I think also, at least partly, because it would ultimately be better for everyone if the UK remained inside the tent pissing out on all the developing countries and so on. There might be some profit to be made divvying up whatever the Tories can sell, but it's still going to be a fractious and unpredictable project, and it'd be much easier for everyone involved if the UK would have done a less insane Brexit where we stayed broadly aligned with EU regulations, bodies, etc. and were able to bring our still-considerable weight to bear in A) Holding our own against other major economic powers (i.e. the US and China) and B) maintaining the exploitation of the less powerful in a steady manner.
(I also suspect there's still some entrenched disbelief that the UK, who was long regarded in EU matters as somewhat standoffish but ultimately sensible and tractible by most of our peers*, is acting in such an obviously self-destructive manner with such intense zeal. Rightly or wrongly we had managed to convince a lot of other people that the British political and monied elite might be arseholes, but we were predictable arseholes who acted with circumspection and had little desire to rock any boats, let alone capsize our own.)
* I just realized I described the UK as tsundere
I know I quote it a lot, but it's just that scene from the Inbetweeners all over again.

(The EU to the UK)
EU: All this time we thought you were really smart. It turns out you just have a posh accent, but are as thick as the rest of us.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 14, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

I keep seeing this but my cat will quite happily drink horribly stagnant green water out of the small pond in the garden but will completely ignore the bowl of fresh water next to his food

There's a second factor. Which is they prefer moving water, but when it comes to non moving water they favour rain water (even stagnant pond water) over tap water where they smell chlorine.

I have gotten one of those cat fountains to see if my cats will go for it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Ok yay kitties but I am in awe of your book arrangement.

Good eye. Yes my wife arranged our book shelf that way.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So "Perfidious Albion" is trending on Irish Twitter.
Well done Irish lads and lassies for using a 700 poetic phrase.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Are the numbers not near enough there for a border poll atm? I would have thought this would be the perfect time for SF to roll the dice. Reunification would certainly solve a lot of problems!

So this is one of those things where all the political parties say they are in favour of a united Ireland....Just that they don't want to do anything to advance it.

And I can sort of see why. The best argument is a boarder poll. Beyond all the difficulties in how it would run, what result would be legitimate?

As has been pointed out in this debate, even if you run the Boarder Poll in the Republic and get 99% of people voting for a United Ireland.
And you run it in NI and get 51% of people voting for a United Ireland? Do you go for reunification then?

There is still 49% of people in NI who are left out or voted against it and you can't just override their views on that.

The idea is that they want to wait until there is overwhelming support from both sides of the boarder to bring it about. And maybe that's something that will take generations to ever come about, but it's probably a better idea then going a Brexit route of "52% said yes. Now we all have to suffer because of that."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

50%+1 is the only real way to conduct it tbh, any attempts at supermajority jiggery pokery just isn't going to work tbh and I don't think anyone up North really sees any alternative (there where some voices who mumbled about a supermajority but most people realise that's a polite way of saying "never").

You can argue that 51% for unification isn't enough to alter the constitutional arrangements as much as you can argue 51% for the union is an insufficient argument for the status quo to continue.

Sometimes though I feel like the loudest voices for "51% isn't enough" comes from voices South of the border who would prefer reunification only when the North isn't a basket case of acrimonious political shouting which also is pretty much a "never"

There are times when having a majority is enough for contentious social issues.
The Divorce referendum in Ireland was famously won by a handful of votes in 1996, and since then people now overwhelmingly support divorce.

But if you look at the Marriage Equality or Abortion Referendum, the fact that they were carried by overwhelming majorities gives them an accurate mandate of the people's will.

I feel a super contentious issue like re-unification is too difficult to say "the numbers say slightly more people are in favour of it then against. We are doing it."
Like Brexit itself is a perfect example, the Scottish and NI people aren't being won over because slightly more people in another country decided to do a thing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

justcola posted:

So I'm clear - QAnon believes in an international satanic paedophile illuminati style group that will take over the world, and believe coronavirus isn't real/a bioweapon in order to keep people indoors and wearing masks so we become disconnected from each other, and this strand is a front to 'Save our Children' by holding protests that will drag others into the QUniverse?

The other big thing that unites QA as with other conspiracies, is this idea that while the evil overlords are all powerful and connected everywhere, that they have to leave clues around like they are Carmen Sandiago. It’s this mad part of the conspiracy where as if they were as connected and omnipresent as they are described, the logical conclusion would be to give up since they have already won.

Instead in the conspiracy theorist minds they have to be all powerful, but constrained by arcane, non-sensical rules. They have to be everywhere, but on the verge of losing if enough people say no.

It’s like they want them to be the Empire from Star Wars. Only with the Emperor and every single part of the Empire inside the one Death Star that has like a thousand exhaust ports.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Right, I've been searching for ages but to no avail so now I consult this thread, font of all knowledge that it is.

I have some podcasts on my android phone (by which I mean mp3 files) and I need an audio player that has a "skip 15 seconds back" feature. Music players tend not to have this, and all the podcast players can't seem to play a locally downloaded mp3 (unless I downloaded via their podcast database, which is no good)

Anyone happen to know of an app that can help me?

I use the appropriately named Podcast Republican, since it works with Android Auto and works well while driving.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Any testing should be restricted to current incapacity to operate a vehicle or heavy equipment, not whether somebody has used a certain substance in the past 24h.

But if a Professional (Banker, Doctor, Lawyer etc...) is being asked to do something which requires their professional expertise (like moving lots of money or giving an expert opinion) is it not fair to say that if they are high or going through withdrawal for said substance they shouldn’t be allowed to do so.

Like I don’t think that drug tests should only be limited to people operating heavy machinery or vehicles.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Withdrawal is a tricky one, like someone who is driving while in withdrawal from alcoholism is more of a risk than that same person driving a bit over the limit, because having reactions that are a bit slowed is less risky than having an absence seizure while behind the wheel.

I've had clients turn up/brought to court both intoxicated or in withdrawal.

In my experience the ones who are intoxicated are easier to deal with because unless it's booze, they will be incredibly pliant and will just agree with whatever you ask them.

Now obviously it's easier to get instructions from someone like that. But you don't get useful instructions since the person is just agreeing with whatever you ask of them.

(In case you are wondering, lawyers have developed a code to explain politely to judges that their clients are wankered. We say that are client is too ill to properly give instructions. Which is true since addiction is an illness. )

But clients who are in withdrawal are much worse to deal with. They fight with you all the time, they freak out, they keep changing their mind and they just want to leave so they can get back to their fix.
And unlike with the person currently intoxicated, it's harder to establish or prove that they aren't in a right mind.

And that's just with clients. If the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn't want to be operated on by a doctor who was still buzzing or someone who needed something to take the edge off.

Guavanaut posted:

But legally one would be definitely illegal and the other one more tricky (did they know they were at risk of seizures? did their doctor tell them not to drive?). It certainly wouldn't be grounds to develop tests to ban everyone who's had a drink in the past 3 days from driving.
Up until about 3/4 years ago the test for drug driving was a binary "was their drugs in your clients system. Yes/no." And it could lead to situations where people with long term habits would still show as positive days later.
Which meant there were lots of arguments about whether or not they were intoxicated at the time.
They revamped the system and the new Dräggers supposed just test for the presence of drugs at the time.

Guavanaut posted:

her talking about Class A drugs is dumb as hell, because the legal classification of a substance and its ability to prevent you safely operating a vehicle (or giving an expert opinion) the following day are completely unrelated. Randomized testing for any purpose other than whether a person is presently intoxicated is more about morality policing than health and safety.

Except I suppose that most time the test for drugs at work place is just about contract.
You work just fires you if they find you with drugs in their system. They can't call the cops unless you have substances in your work cubicle.
I would assume that all Pratel is talking about is criminalize companies for not enforcing actual drug test policies in their employees.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

Well yeah it needs to be elections of non-lifetime positions. Like everything else. Usually. Maybe.

Electing judges is fundamentally a bad idea.

John Oliver has an entire episode on this.
Basically, Judges have to make decisions which are legally correct and can be unpopular ones.
If it was left to the public to decide you could have the Great British Public electing a Tommy Robinson style judge because he promises to hang the bad 'uns.*

I knew a guy who was selected to be a Judge. He was selected by the Government, and since it was a coalition party in power the appointees were fiercely contested. He reckoned that the reason he got selected was because he wasn't particularly political, he was deemed the least controversial appointment and that's why he got in.

*= The bad 'uns are almost certainly going to be BAME.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

bump_fn posted:

don’t they have to pass a law for this to mean anything

Well the UK Government has already said that they are willing to break International Law. The next step is obviously to break National Law.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

blues thief posted:

Meanwhile:
https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1308035753511878656

Quickly followed up by:
https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/1308036701584068608

"That thing I said? Actually, I meant the opposite."

In fairness to him, (the clip is only 24 seconds so it's hard to judge) if you take his words in context, the very next thing he says is about meeting with Trans spokespeople to listen to their concerns.
That seems to indicate that he mispoke in a mild way. (The word was a double negative after all.)

Is it just me or does that read as Perugia airport initially saying "we have no evidence to back this up. Better say we were wrong."

Followed by "Holy poo poo, we looked through Twitter. There is tons of circumstantial evidence. We will double down on this!"

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

The NI app is weird because it quietly sits saying nothing until suddenly giving you an alert at about midnight once a week saying "yes this app does in fact exist" - heard a lot of people complaining about the lack of frequent notifications (as reassurance basically that it is indeed on and checking)

Now the app also was responsible for a hug for one four day period where if you had a Samsung Galaxy it massively drained your battery and made the phone super hot.

They did fix it, but only after refusing to report on it because they didn't want people deleting the app since it would mess up the tracing part of it.

So just he happy that the app just sits in the background using a minor battery drain and not spamming you with the latest infection figures.