Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

My Calendar of Kittens that hangs in the bathroom says Autumn begins on the 22nd.

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I applied to do a Batchelors at the OU and applied for finance. Just need to find my bloody birth certificate!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I hate the trots, most uncomfortable.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Roger Dicks MP
Aberhampton and Barnney

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Avocado Toast is very similar to Beans Toast, or so I've heard.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

thespaceinvader posted:

Do people not just... grasp the light patterns of all their local junctions?

Is that just me?

Nope.

When I had a job, I cycled to work and knew exactly the pattern of the lights so I could cross both carriageways of the main road just be watching if the cars were allowed to turn right at the lights.

I had some time off, and work was done at that particular junction and my knowledge after that was useless, and the pattern never lined up as well as before.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

justcola posted:

I was wondering if anyone knew why young people talk on the phone via the loudspeaker? I lent my phone to a lad and he put it on loudspeaker straight away then starting talking to it like a Star Trek communicator - I noticed it a few years ago when I was managing another guy on work experience and he was trying to book a venue - but it just seems odd to me. I could understand if their hearing was hosed or it was a way of having your friends hear a conversation or something, but I don't know really.

or is that question just cringe 😂😂😂😂

I've often wondered this and the only conclusion I can come to is that "famous" people do it too and the youth like to copy them.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Oh dear me posted:

That's weird of you. I do it because I can hear better that way, and can quickly rest the phone on something if I need to use my hands, and there are no downsides.

Other than everybody in the vicinity being able to hear the conversation?

I have no desire to listen to you on the phone, let alone the person on the other end too!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Yo UKMT! Got me some books from Verso, might try and pick up some more every fortnight when I get my JSA cos books are good.

This week I have Minima Moralia by Theodor Adorno and Imagined Communities by Benedict Anderson. Might start with Imagined Communities, seems appropriate at the moment.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I used to get a train from March to Cambridge and then bus back out to Histon. I don't live in March and can't drive, so I also had to get there too (thank goodness for parents!)

About an hour and a half each way.

An eight hour on the dot job in the role and industry I enjoyed ruined by three, sometimes four hours of commute.

Hated it so much I just stopped going to work.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Pistol_Pete posted:

I guess us older goons (30's and upwards) grew up in an environment where it was still assumed that life was gradually going to grow easier and more prosperous in the future? So we expected to be able to own a house, have job security etc.

If you've grown up in our current society, you perhaps accept a lovely life because that expectation of better things has evaporated away?

I dunno, I'm just spitballing here.

40, this idea has never occurred to me during my life.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Jedit posted:

If there are food shortages and the insulin stops coming because of Brexit, by March the Tories are going to be pushing towards 500,000 excess deaths in 12 months and ~800,000 since they took office. That former figure can be expressed as 1.1 Second World Wars in the span of a year.

How many World Cups?

[edit] Not only my 12th Birthday but on January 7, 1992 – The Yugoslav Air Force downs a helicopter, killing five military observers from the European Communities

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

quote:

After five years under Jeremy Corbyn’s leftwing leadership, the UK Labour party enters the “virtual” party conference season under new management and with an apparently prosaic but vital mission: to persuade voters it can be “trusted running the economy”.

So said Rachel Reeves, a former Bank of England economist dubbed a “Red Tory” by hardline Corbynistas, who is now a prominent figure as new leader Keir Starmer seeks to transform the party to regain public trust after a disastrous result in last December’s general election.

Ms Reeves, who shadows cabinet office minister Michael Gove, wholly endorses the leader’s attempt to pull the party back to the centre ground, which included a purge of Mr Corbyn’s supporters.

Next week Sir Keir will set out his stall at the annual Labour conference, being held online because of coronavirus restrictions. But radical new members who flocked to the party under Mr Corbyn are likely to miss some of the former leader’s leftist zeal.

“Labour needs to demonstrate we can be trusted running the economy, being competent and sensible,” said Ms Reeves, a London-born former youth chess champion and now a Leeds MP.

“I’d rather have a competent and sensible prime minister than the one we have at the moment, the public will see the contrast between Keir Starmer and Boris Johnson and like it.”

Sir Keir considered making Ms Reeves his shadow chancellor, which would have been a hugely controversial choice among the party’s leftwing members: instead he gave her the cabinet office role.

Even so, the appointment of Ms Reeves, who last served in the shadow cabinet under Ed Miliband before 2015 and refused to do so under Mr Corbyn, was a sign of his intent.

Anyone expecting Sir Keir’s new team to roll out a suite of new policy initiatives this week will be disappointed. “I don’t think we’re at the stage for policies yet,” says Ms Reeves.

Instead the shadow minister suggests that the new leadership is in listening mode, in particular in the “red wall”, mostly northern, seats that were lost en masse last December — many of which had voted Leave in the 2016 Brexit referendum.

“It was not just 2019 that people were sending us a message, it has been for quite a long time now,” she said.

“They just didn’t feel that Labour spoke for them: we spoke at them rather than with them. They felt that their values haven’t changed but the Labour party has changed and they didn’t recognise the party any more.”

Ms Reeves said her party needed to show “humility” and listen to voters, starting by accepting that the party’s former opposition to Brexit had added to the alienation of core supporters.

Sir Keir has in recent weeks adopted the slogan of “Get Brexit Done”, accepting that trying to stop the UK leaving the EU is now pointless and trying to put the onus on Mr Johnson to show that his own policy can be a success.

“We want the Tories to deliver the deal that they promised people,” said Ms Reeves, pointing out that it had taken more than four years and three prime ministers since the EU referendum to get to this stage.

She warned that the sudden ending of the furlough job support scheme in October would “pull the rug” from under a huge number of workers. “We've always said the furlough scheme can't go on forever, but there's a real danger in the one-size-fits-all removal of support from businesses and people still impacted by coronavirus restrictions,” she said.

As for her leftwing critics, she retorted: “I have been a Labour party member for 25 years, I have campaigned in every election since then, I will be in the Labour party a lot longer than some of the people who have criticised me.”

As chair of the House of Commons business select committee during the last parliament she led formidable inquiries into issues such as the collapse of Carillion, the former construction and outsourcing group.

In 2018 she made a speech calling for £20bn a year of new wealth taxes to address inequalities in the UK: including higher capital gains tax, a land tax and a cut in pension tax relief.

Now she strikes a very different note, saying life has moved on since the coronavirus pandemic struck. “It would be the wrong thing to increase taxes right now because we need to make sure there is more money flowing through the economy to support jobs and the recovery,” she said.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I clapped when the dude got the million-pound question right on "Who Wants To Be A... Millionaire a few weeks ago.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

forkboy84 posted:

As an unemployed extremely poor underqualified failson millennial who will only have any wealth when my parents die in a mysterious simultaneous fall down the stairs I say kill em all. Wait, that's not right.

I say ideological purity is literally all I've been left by 40+ years of neoliberal immiseration. It's not a position of privilege, accepting the continued existence of a status quo that clearly only works for maybe 2% of the population is a position of privilege. Accepting the least worst option is what got us in the position we are in today. No more.

Not embracing accelerationism is in fact a position of privilege. Pull the loving plaster off quickly and get it over with

Why yes, I'm having a normal one. But the "ideological purity " line is garbage. Keir Starmer's Labour Party is as neoliberal as Boris's Tories and trying to also be as patriotic. And neoliberalism is absolutely antithetical to my worldview. You're not asking me to vote for someone a little different from me, you're asking me to vote for someone whose policies are incompatible with my beliefs.

Wait, that's unfair, Keir has done his hardest not to have any policies. His rhetorical positioning then.

Absolutely 100% loving :same: and :agreed:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

According to the way back machine I saw the Deftones at their fifth show in six months at the (now demolished) London Astoria between October 1997 and March 1998. Will Haven supported. Had never heard anything by them before, they were loving immense

I've been listening to Will Haven a lot lately.

Deftones are awesome.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I used to work in fresh produce supplying the supermarkets.

We made those bags of prepped veg (think bags of nicely sliced carrots, broccoli and cauliflower florets that you can just stick in the microwave, etc.)

The line was stopped and the packaging swapped over to make stuff for Asda, Waitrose/Ocado, and Co-op. I think after I left (well, was medically retired), they started doing stuff for Aldi or Lidl too.

That is my "Waitrose/Ocado is so much better than the other supermarkets" story.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

But they have to allowed home for Christmas, it's like a prison in there!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Aren't fabric softeners hydrophobic and stop towels functioning as towels?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

The job advice thing gave me computer toucher type things, with one of those being a Database Admin. I have just started an OU degree in Data Science which is sort of adjacent.

So there's that.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I read about that the other day.

Back to school back to school, it's alright kids won't die back to school!

But what about kids spreading it amon........

Back to school back to school!!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Aren't people like Owen Jones and Ash Sarkar and all the others regularly on TV because they have gently caress all else to do and are always available?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I always seem to remember that "ie" you pronounce the "e" and "ei" you pronounce the "i".

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

justcola posted:

I think it'd be one thing if it was QVC or something, but as all the History Channel seems to show is Nazi poo poo all day it seems a bit of a gently caress up really. Those who cannot learn from the History Channel are doomed to repeat it.

Did Nazi Aliens build the pyramids? Tune in tonight to the History channel.

It's on right after Ancient Nazi Alien Storage Wars.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Beefeater1980 posted:

Sorry I was drunk posting. And still am, ban me you cowards.

Let me try again. Krishnan Guru-Murthy was at one point a very prominent commentator. This resulted in him being sort of famous in the mainstream. One element in his widespread recognition was being South Asian, which very few mainstream commentators were at the time.

As of today, he is part of the previous generation of commentators. This makes him less relevant and interesting than someone younger, such as Marcus Rashford. In addition, Marcus Rashford is a former footballer who was a celebrity already before taking a political position whereas Krishnan Guru-Murthy was always a journalist. So Krishnan Guru-Murthy might be forgiven for being a bit catty about Marcus Rashford.

E: I apologise for calling people autists. That was neither kind nor considerate nor even accurate.

When did Rashford retire from playing football?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

What a oval office in the Post Office this morning, wandering about looking at the things on the shelves while shouting at his partner on speakerphone (which he had left on the counter) all while one staff member was counting his money and the other was trying to serve me.

No mask of course.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://twitter.com/darrengrimes_/status/1320738057188986887?s=20

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

On the news last night, and the weatherman on the TV this morning I saw people wearing poppies without the leaf.

What's that about?!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

There has been a lot of posts and I never read them all, someone may have already said

quote:

This is bad for Corbyn.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Neither the Tesco nor the Asda round my way requires a pound for the trolley, the Aldi does and Morrisons is too expensive to bother shopping there.

Don't know about Lidl.

I always remember the keyring with the pound-shaped thing you could detach and put in the slot to unlock your trolley. I think my father still has a few kicking about.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://twitter.com/JMichaelWaller/status/1324209114055090176?s=19

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://twitter.com/TheMendozaWoman/status/1324991616382283777?s=20

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I embedded the wrong tweet, but the Hill seems to think the 'fireworks reported in London' are about Trump, and not because the 5th November annual dog scaring contest lasts about a week.

http://twitter.com/thehill/status/1325161871754858496?s=19

Thurston Moore, American guitar genius of Sonic Youth, also seemed to be very excited on Instagram about the fireworks going off in London over the weekend (he has a record shop and presumably lives in London).

The comments were mixtures of "Joe Biden is going to be just another flavour of poo poo" and "It's Bonfire Night/Week in the UK, duh!"

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://twitter.com/TheMendozaWoman/status/1325761030597832705?s=20

https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1325763736116862982?s=20

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I'm not racist, I charge two Indian people loads of money for a basic human right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I once had to go look at a piece of machinery at a supplier somewhere on the outskirts of Leicester and found that the roads made it absolutely impossible to leave once you had entered the system.

I'm still there actually, driving around Leicester, taking in the sights.

We actually ended up in a bus lane right near what looked like a pedestrianised shopping area and somewhere we shouldn't have been. When we turned off down a back street we were greeted by a fine young gentleman dragging a screaming young lady down the road by her hair, can of special brew in his free hand.