Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I'm also in the "quit labour and has been telling anyone who will listen to quit too" gang and have been for awhile so maybe someone could also remove me from the list of clp members thanks in advance

Of course if anyone is looking for guidance about their labour party membership then they should

A: cancel their direct debit
B: send a resignation email
C: crack one out

The order of which is up for debate but I feel it's a solid plan none the less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Good meal before you drink, lots of water during and after

If you gently caress that up and are suffering/are suffering regardless due to heroics, then a greasy fry-up will at least help your morale

I don't really miss drinking but I especially don't miss hangovers- especially the multiple day ones granted by hitting thirty

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

crispix posted:

Get this: I'm going to go robbing from shops today but only in a very specific and limited way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

that is my very biting and topical HIGNFY style wit

turns out that the cops can't do anything if you rob the entire shop

I have two premiers, a co-op and a spar now but would be willing to trade for an original style happy shopper

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

So I'm sick with something my son brought back from school in the first full week back- fairly sure it ain't the rona, just a productive cough/runny nose/lethargy with no temperature

First day he was off I called the school to let them know and was told if it was "just a sniffle or a bit of a cough" and he wasn't feeling too bad he could come in regardless, which we declined because he's ill

Yesterday when calling in again, a different staff member was strongly suggesting we call 111 just in case and hunker down regardless- and was mystified at the prospect of us being told previously that coughs/runny noses in kids should be ignored to the point I'm fairly sure she thought we were lying to her

I'm obviously feeling confident and reassured by this centralised, consistent and logical approach to covid, which is obviously having the desired results around this great nation

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

So my eldest kid is also now off sick from school and because they did a cough the school won't let them back till a covid test is done and negative- I checked the website and lo and behold- no drive in test sites found, no walk in test sites found, no home tests available.

My son's school haven't said a word about testing and I'm fairly sure they are expecting him to return without one.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

if you threw them off a multi storey car park I bet it would go pop and spray eggs everywhere

failing that it would make a great present to leave under some floorboards for a lovely landlord

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Now on day 4 of trying to get a covid test for my eldest kid- yesterday there was a slot 30 miles away!

In Kent. Which is on the other side of the thames river. I don't have a boat nor an aeroplane, so that's about a 200 mile round trip through a lot of potential lovely traffic, and by the time I had quickly looked it up on maps the slots were gone anyway. Checking multiple times a day, and that's been the only thing so far.

We don't need a test, but we have to have a test, but we can't have the test, unless I pay gently caress knows how much for a test, which might just end up in the bin anyway because lol hand of the free market. How loving british.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

labour have given me precisely zero reasons to vote for them since soggy kiev took charge, and plenty of reasons not to

"we will kill slightly less poors on average, and sometimes we will look fairly sad about doing so- hence we are the only moral choice" isn't really a vote winner with me tbqh, it sounds more like a preamble designed to let sociopath politicians stroke themselves off in the near future about how they made "hard decisions" for "the national interest" right before they retire to whatever loving cushy directorship they have lined up

guess my family values must be too broken to appreciate this new leadership direction, or maybe I wasn't exposed to a loving massive union fleg with "britain first" written on it at a key developmental stage of childhood

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So on a scale of one to enabling act, how worried should I be by the three military helicopters (one Chinook, two I'm not sure about - heavy-looking things that I thought were Merlins but they're retired now) that have flown up the Thames towards Westminster in the last half hour?

e: Especially as the only air traffic over central London according to Flightradar is the chopper the BBC and Sky use for aerial shots, currently doing circles around Westminster?

Happens about once a month or so, sometimes it's two chinooks, sometimes there's apaches too, probably practicing deployment/evacuation of poo poo in an emergency- you can stuff a lot of squaddies in the back of one at a pinch

At least once it was literally an army general on the piss with their staff using it as a taxi tho

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

back to stockpiling poo poo tickets lol

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

So does this mean if the captain and weapons officer decide to, they can launch the nukes whenever they want?

They can launch at a list of pre selected targets, they don't have the access to pick their own, but aye if it's in range the whole lot can be delivered within the hour

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

There's literally zero protection for that wreck other than a few rusty signs and a dilapidated buoy or two, and tourist boat trips went there regularly

I mean I think technically some military police would come out on a dinghy from shoebury range but if someone really wanted to gently caress with it, they could probably do whatever they wanted in the time it took for someone to notice and get anyone out there to look

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Only trust your multimeter
The regs will never help you

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Filboid Studge posted:

Is that unusual? Is it that all these folks’ grandads were too young to get sent off, and are passing on folk myths?

As a kid growing up in the 80s, my great-uncles were full of wild, vivid and bloody war stories and were gleeful and expressive narrators of said tales- "ah, we told him not to cross that gap but an '88 got him and it was such a mess" etc

My grandad had stories too, but never of anything approaching combat. Stories about friends getting in trouble with military police (or managing to run away), maybe some fun adventure- distinct from the war, about the italian man he befriended afterwards while waiting to demob.

My great uncles worked in supply and catering, likely didn't see much of any combat and came back from the war with lots of black market derived cash and bravado. My grandad was infantry at monte cassino and came back with more scars than you could count, and ptsd that had him jumping behind garden walls if a car backfired. From what my dad could find from records, most of his original platoon didn't come back.

The narrative of the conflict was almost entirely written after the fact by folk with mindsets like my great-uncles and it quickly became a vast industry of films, comics, toys and models etc that continued for decades. It became a national myth, sanitised for mass consumption and normalised beyond context until we have generations of people that get turgid and misty-eyed at the sheer sight of some union jacks and a poppy and oooo look a spitfire too, but are utterly and wilfully blind to the resurrection of open fascism. They dote on poppies much like nazis treat the swastika- performative display of a revered symbol that is now entirely removed from the original meaning, more a statement about compliance and tacit agreement with the established narrative.

The boomer generation were raised entirely in this fog of leaded petrol fumes and constant appeals to live up to the jingoistic national myth- and they assumed the role and regalia of a fictional "greatest generation" by some hosed up mental osmosis process, and, well, here we are now, with politicians openly talking about how and where new concentration camps should be set up and ensuring the state security services have the power to rape, torture and murder without risk of prosecution. Just so long as no-one puts on a swastika arm band or speaks in a horrendously bad german accent like in the war films, it can't possibly be fascism.

Pretty hosed up imo

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Reminder to anyone stockpiling- start a spreadsheet and enter in what you buy and when it expires and maybe what box/shelf it occupies

That way if you don't end up using it, you know what needs using/donating first without having to go through a fuckload of groceries tin by tin

It turned topping up my previous brexit stash into an absolute breeze

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

all hail our mancunian overlords

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Trickjaw posted:

O great knowing thread, the usual broadband question, I'm afraid: Any good deals out there, with at least a semblance of reliability? I am on Post Office and its laughably crap. I hate to say it, but think BT might be best, and looking through Virgin reviews I think Myra Hindley had more fans.

I'm on virgin broadband- once I switched the incredibly lovely router/modem into just a modem and got my own router for WiFi stuff (30 quid or so tplink thing, next to zero effort/knowledge needed to do it) it hasn't given me a single issue whatsoever.

Before that, I needed to reset the poo poo router/modem pretty much daily, and the wifi struggled to reach stuff in the same room with direct line of sight.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

whoever did the "he spent ages signalling left and then made a hard right" thanks, I stole it and got some likes on twitter

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

so when the labour canvassers come round next time I'm just gonna collapse to the floor and laugh hysterically while writhing around in a foetal position till the hallway runner just kind of curls up around me and they cautiously back away down the garden path

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

how drunk is that loving shitehawk?

set him up a few lines and shove the bugger out the front door, the nation needs to get on with dying

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

someone opens up a warhead to find the current standard payload is now three smoke detectors duct taped around a off-brand firework

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

I'm really fortunate in that me and the missus had the time to devote to teaching our kids at home, and that we have multiple computers available for them to work at simultaneously etc- a lot of families aren't in the same position

And it was still really challenging because teaching is a loving hard job. Even when you can threaten turning off the wifi or hide the chocolate biscuits. It takes time and effort and resources that aren't being made available and simply won't be made available because the government can blame parents and schools through the press for free- or claim concerns for the mental health of kids after refusing to do anything to fix childhood mental health services for a decade+

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Aside from the xmas dinner, I also then like having some really nice meat/cheese/bread/pickles/etc for laying out a spread in the evening- I enjoy it more than the roast and that's saying something because I loving love me a roast

Think I will probably do pork belly as the main this year though, now I have perfected crackling

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Oh hey so if you wanted to see a magpie and a muntjac deer being cool comrades then you could watch this video of animals I made on the land I work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MjNcgMPyEM

They also troll a fox pretty hard, and there's some badger action too

the sex ghost posted:

viewers of Fred Dibnah videos and gardening tutorials

particularly for the flat capped chimney dropper, there's a sizeable gammon following who seemingly exist to poo poo up the comments with "back when men were men"/"when britain was good with none of that pc crap" etc

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

WhatEvil posted:

What this thread needs is an In/Out referendum for the Labour party.

Checkbox poll, including a "shake it all about" option

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

loving hell he just can't resist the chance to punch himself in the balls, over, and over, and over again

he isn't a tory plant he's a political masochist

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

she got sent flowers from the bnp for her "housing for white people first" policy

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

If the propaganda efforts weren't as polished here we would see much more active state repression but it simply isn't necessary.

Instead, millions of folk walk into a newsagents and gladly pay to be lied to about liars, drive home while listening to another tranche of corporate state authorised bullshit on the radio then sit in front of the TV for another dose direct to the eyeballs before getting on facebook to have it validated by a bunch of other blathering dipshits and automatically amplified by bots.

Why bother going to the expense and bother of running camps for say, muslim or trans folks, when you can turn chunks of the population rabidly angry at them with polished and practiced ease and repress them in their own homes and streets?

This whole damned nation is a prison camp- and like the gulags in siberia- there aren't many guards because there's nowhere to loving run to.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Pistol_Pete posted:

I just want a nurse to jab a needle in my arm and tell me that now I don't need to worry about Covid any more tbh :shrug:

"This ebola will chase it right the gently caress out of you"

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

I went and got some blood taken today, had my temp taken on entry and was guided around expertly to ensure risk was kept to a minimum while the vampires took themselves a five course meal

I'm now sat waiting to collect my missis in the car park to aldi- about two thirds of the people walking into the shop so far are without masks and I can see the aisles are pretty much packed from here with no effort to limit numbers

doomed, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Comrades don't let comrades post on reddit

It is a type of liberalism