Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
"I wonder if there's a market for sandwich delivery" says the person who clearly has no idea that a) office caterers and b) Deliveroo are things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
responsible opposition, where you agree with everything the government wants to do just as long as they promise to do it carefully

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
bin men always smiling when they had to retire at 45 from chronic back complaints

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
is Breath Ray the one who kept parroting UKIP talking points on how immigration was bad because it would put strain on the NHS

I get all my driveby trolls mixed up sometimes

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm no expert on construction but it seems like it'd be a whole lot more effort to take all the windows out of their frames individually than it would just to smash them while in place

and other than that all that seems to have happened is someone spilled a tin of paint and pushed over a cabinet, if that was really someone getting back at their landlord there'd be poo poo (both metaphorical and literal) everywhere and a load of damage to structural things like walls and doors and also to the appliances

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Once in a while the Americans get it right. Nothing will excuse the way they pronounce buoy or clique, though.

and, for some reason, larynx

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jedit posted:

How do they pronounce larynx?

I've heard both true crime and pro wrestling podcasts pronounce it "lar-nyx" so I assume it's a fairly widespread thing

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Angrymog posted:

IIRC they pronounce buoy as Boo-eey, how do they pronouce clique? Cli-queue? Clickee?

as in "click"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Zarah is great and it's a shame I don't live a couple of miles south so I could vote for her

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jose posted:

Just witnessed someone be delivered a pint of Guinness and blackcurrant at the pub I was just at and what the gently caress

I have witnessed in person someone ordering a Guinness shandy

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Wait reamking Utopia?

The original was amazing, why the heck would it need remaking.

But yeah, it's worth a watch, even though it is deeply, deeply weird and disturbing, and doubly so now.

American networks loving love remaking British shows for some reason

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
someone I knew at uni would habitually drink Strongbow and OJ during the summer

disgusting, and then you add orange juice to it

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 6, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
who on earth has a shot of Jager and thinks "if only that flavour could last 10 times as long"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bobstar posted:

Huh, so the Valentino Rossi* wouldn't fly in the UK. Interesting.

* customer dons open-faced motorcycle helmet, leans back on the bar, various liquors are poured into their open mouth, mouth closes, head banged against the bar repeatedly to mix, swallow

not in a pub/bar which is open to the public but I wouldn't be surprised to see poo poo like this happening in uni/halls bars

IME universities are more than happy to pay lip service towards responsible drinking and then look the other way when it comes to drinking a dirty pint out of an old wellington boot on your birthday

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

because of the backlog which was 100% caused entirely by corona and not, say, the deliberate and systematic defunding of the court system by the Tories

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
holy poo poo I completely forgot WKD blue was a thing

one of those and an orange Reef and a double vodka in a pint glass was the poo poo when I was 18

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Mebh posted:

In uni we had a whole crate of holsten pils. It was disgusting. We tried many ways to make it palatable. Including mixing it with cadburys drinking chocolate and milk. Which we decided was OK.

It was not OK and young people are stupid.

Shoulda just bought line cordial or lemonade...

our local pub quiz used to give out a crate of 24 Carlsberg for the top prize, which we won with semi-regularity

it got to the point where we each had multiple crates of Carlsberg sitting unopened in our houses, because who the gently caress would drink Carlsberg if there was any kind of alternative available

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

ah-gently caress-curve dot png

the govt are already going all-out to blame this rise on the young for going out and having fun which the government told them they could when they opened the pubs back up

20 people drinking together in a single building is bad, unless they're paying for their drinks in which case it's fine and good, actually

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
imagine the screeching from the FBPEs if Corbyn had come out and said "no we're not going to rejoin Europe, move the gently caress on"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Cerv posted:

advocating self harm is against the forums rules no?
fatties gonna die of covid

gently caress right off you absolute oval office

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

So... none of the things that loving matter, then.

just another step in the govt's plan to blame the second wave 100% on the youth having house parties and raves

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Surprise, surprise, our very first shot at a vaccine for a wholly new disease doesn't seem to be working out, despite all the government hype:

https://twitter.com/carlsmcqueen/status/1303467185344479233?s=21

hmm I wonder what happened to "well the government/big pharma will just force them to rush out a vaccine without doing the proper testing"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Oh dear me posted:

No one I saw was arguing no testing at all would happen, so I think you're just being an arse.

So just that it would be rushed and/ineffective? Which still doesn’t seem to be the case, does it?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Oh dear me posted:

If people thought some testing would be done, you can't argue that they're wrong because some testing has been done. However often you try.

"testing will be done but they'll fudge/ignore the results" is not in fact the same as "testing will be done because that's how vaccines are developed" just FYI

talking about how you wouldn't take a covid vaccine because government/big pharma bad was antivaxx bullshit then and it's antivaxx bullshit now

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Oh dear me posted:

Another straw man, and, for the third and last time, one thing being done right does not show all things are being done right. I apologize to the rest of the thread for not ignoring you as I should have.

Julio Cruz posted:

it's antivaxx bullshit now

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

TheRat posted:

No, it really isn't.

good strong argument, you really convinced me

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't think screeching at people that are showing a healthy skepticism of a government and an industry that considers human life to be a very distant second to NUMBER GO UP that they're identical to the people who think Bill Gates is trying to mind-control them with nanoparticles activated by 5G is the winning argument you think it is, mate.

All the people who talk about "healthy skepticism" of every other vaccine on the planet absolutely are part of that group, though, so what exactly's so different about any potential covid vaccine that makes the "healthy skeptics" normal rational people?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

(I'm being nosey cos I'm Leicester alumni)

I thought account sharing was banned

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
having to listen to one side of someone else's phone conversation is bad but having to listen to both sides is a hundred times worse

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the BBC is already carrying water for the government

paraphrasing from PM: "the R number is over 1 but it's not as bad as it was before lockdown so really it's basically fine"

if they lick those boots hard enough they might get their TV licence money

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
management loving sucks and I'm glad I don't have to do it any more

especially because I hate conflict so if someone did a lovely job I'd just tell them it was fine and then redo it myself later

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

WhatEvil posted:

As somebody else already said, "loving with your employees" in this case means "not letting them freely bunk off for half an hour".

who gives a poo poo if they bunk off for half an hour or not? "you MUST be working at 100% for every minute you're at work" is some serious :capitalism: poo poo

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

weird that they asked the Tories twice

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Anyone mentioned 'Britannia waives the rules' yet?
Saw it elsewhere, thought it funny to pass on.

Steve Jackson would like a word

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

big scary monsters posted:

I think I missed that Fighting Fantasy book.

it's from Munchkin Booty

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the Lib Dems welcoming in with open arms a former Tory with incredibly regressive views you say? who could have foreseen this

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

I think you can safely take the piss out of insanely rich MAGA egomaniac Kanye West without punching down.

taking the piss out of him for being a MAGA idiot is fine

taking the piss out of him for being black most definitely is not

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

There's a reason why cats do that!They are conditioned to seek out moving sources of water to drink over stagnant ones, believing that it will be fresher.

I keep seeing this but my cat will quite happily drink horribly stagnant green water out of the small pond in the garden but will completely ignore the bowl of fresh water next to his food

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Interesting thread from the FT graph wonk about the return to work featured this infographic:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1305541279342878721/photo/1

Who the gently caress is commuting to London from Devon?

I guess people who commute in on Monday morning, stay in a cheap hotel, and go home Friday evening? because Plymouth to Paddington is >3 hours so I can't imagine anyone's doing that both ways daily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

My partner contracted at Vodafone in Newbury for a few months, and one of his coworkers commuted in from Poland a few times a week. Fly in early to Heathrow, pop along the M4, be in for the day or sometimes two, fly back in the evening. Apparently flights were so cheap, it made sense for them to come in that way.

a friend of mine works in IT for a multinational bank and they have contractors there who "live" in Spain during the weekends and in a Travelodge during the week