Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Whenever I read something really gross my brain follows it up with (everything about it) because of the fetlife thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

The old Griefing Discussion thread from Games is one of the best threads on the forums. Only around 500 pages and existed from 2008 to 2016, when everyone agreed that it had basically run its course and that people needed a few years off to gather new funny game legends

It was so good. Sure it had some idiots but there were amazing stories of exploiting the way a game was structured, fantastic social engineering, or both. I’d really like it to make a comeback, though sadly a lot of games have been making themselves pretty grief-proof.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

snergle posted:

the threads in gbs where they were telling obvious lies about their lives but they were good story tellers.

Angry Bee Dance and Joey Vapes were basically doing that around the same time and both of them ended up completely losing the thread of it after a little while, as is the way of forums superstars. Joey Vape’s “Post your moments of WHAT THE CHRIST” thread was fun for a while though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

I think I still have a PDF of a bunch of goon-written seasteading fiction, like Tales From Sealand or something. It had some pretty funny stuff in it

On Golden Seas, I think it was called.

E:foundthe ebook!

https://www.scribd.com/document/146160537/In-Golden-Waters-Tales-From-the-Seastead

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 10, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mr_jolly posted:

That thread about the really bad horror writer, nicklaus something or other where someone used to taunt him about being so bad.

This thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2931645&perpage=40&noseen=1

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

big dyke energy posted:

I can't believe I forgot about Tony loving Tango.

Any time some dipshit brings their garbage creative project to the forums is amazing.

The Ben Biddick thread was great because the dude showed up, was like “I absolutely wrote some terrible poo poo as a kid” and made fun of it in a way that wasn’t just a lame attempt at rolling with the punches. It helps that he was a decade+ out from it so he had some perspective and wasn’t just trying to market it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rectal Death Adept posted:

also the guy that was really defensive about his revolutionary idea to explain those mysterious roman dodecahedrons.

He had convinced people he knew to give him thousands of dollars to invent a water tank that 3d modeled objects.

There were many threads over the years. He melted down in a few of them trying to explain the brilliance of roman timecubes or whatever.

Oh god, there would be actual historians specializing in Rome who would show up to tell him how/why he was wrong and he’d insist he knew better than them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zohn posted:

Also have a fond memory of a thread from the tail end of the era of gbs superstars posting. It was a spooky story by a goon who claimed to be an army veteran who had been posted to a remote West German base in the 80s. Lots of mysterious happenings, possible nazi ghosts, with the underlying dread and futility of being a grunt during the Cold War in a position that would have been one of the first to be nuked.
An obviously false tall tale, but I remember reading it at 2am alone was pretty spooky.

That was 50 Foot Ant, I think he purged a lot of his posts on this site because he wanted to turn them into a novel.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

The month after GBS 2.0 started when the guy who would periodically do in-character roleplaying threads about being an epic badass paranormal investigator rolled up with a new thread and was immediately shut down by everyone going "what the gently caress are you doing, this is cringe" was like the ending of Chinatown in terms of seeing someone just wholly and utterly have their soul destroyed right in front of you in the span of moments.

Jaded Mensa Op, maybe?

E:Nope, looks like their last post was in 2011.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

A CRAB IRL posted:

The dude who wanted to make an MMO, "Crimson Haze", and had written ten thousand pages of lore and just needed two or three engineers to work on it for free full time, and that "everyone is an artist"

And he kept getting so repeatedly loving owned post after post after post and was too dense to realise it

When I’ve looked at that thread lately it makes me miss waffleimages.

That fartsword.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

big dyke energy posted:

Also does anyone remember the very odd yet endearing otter poster?

E(something) lutrus? That was an avshalom alt.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve thought about making a new griefing thread a few times but I don’t have any stories even close to some of the all-time greats that were in there. Games now are a lot harder to grief in now, too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pondex posted:

The Margarita-machine thread. Just pages and pages of goons rambling about fictional industrial margarita-making machines and the state/history of the art. Like everyone was suddenly a woodshed margarita-scientist. And no one broke kayfabe.

Someone made a thread for a Ducktales MMO that went the same way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The dollfucker thread was the first thread that really hooked me back when I was lurking. That was some purestrain Internet Weird that you don’t see a lot of any more.