Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Glare Seethe posted:

I do think it's probably best to just have one tennis thread, there's not really enough interest on SA to support separate threads for the majors and at least in a general thread you can discuss smaller tournaments or other stuff as well. Imagine all the fun we could have had posting about Novak's claim from earlier this year that positive thoughts can transform contaminated water into clean water.

We could ask the mods to update the title whenever a major comes around.

Anyway Swiatek's great and I hope Rafa wins today.
There is (was) a genera tennis thread but nobody really posted in it. I make threads for each of the slams but they don’t get a ton of activity. I skipped the French this year because it was pretty uninteresting until this final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I made a Wimbledon thread you jerks https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3971914

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

Is there a reason the lighting of the Australian Open looks especially insane besides it being noon in summer. I just feel like the contrast of the shadows is off the chart compared to any other tennis event.
Laver especially is a multi use facility so the lighting is more intense than center court at the other slams.

Plus we’re looking at blue (light) late at night.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lmao Swiatek won her semifinal in 1hr4min

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is just :3: https://1gasbakery.com/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I always wonder about the durability of the tall movers, Medvedev, Zverev, Cilic.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The bakery was open for business today :poland:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I had a chance to see Tsitsipas play Kyrgios in the semifinals of the Citi open back in 2019. That went to a 3rd set tiebreak. So much retrospective FOMO right now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Saw this elsewhere: Kyrgios is a 4chan poster while Tsitsipas is a Reddit poster. Both are toxic, but the 4chan poster is less pretentious and is just straight up with you.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

nawilo_420 posted:

life is hell
Nadal has a pretty legit abdominal injury. Assuming Kyrgios doesn't implode (which could very well happen), he should win easily.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ghost story posted:

He actually has a court date - not related to that specific incident, I think, but on another incident from December.

This Wimbledon has been a trip - the Russian ban, Covid outbreaks and no testing for anyone, Serena coming back for a second, Venus coming back for doubles at the last second, Iga's streak ending, Ons continuing her streak of just being everyone's best friend, Wimbledon's Russian ban getting dodged by one player at the last second by a country change, Patrick's brainwashing of Simo kicking in just everywhere, and I'm sure there's more stuff that I've forgotten. Netflix was around after Stef had his press where he called Nick a ~bully~ and then a day or two later, the court information came out, so, that was some extra something. Oh - Tim having his breakout grass run in the lead up and having a good run and several Brits having good runs - including Norrie, which everyone has already written off.

I don't know what chaotic ending this is going to have.
Kyrgios defaulted after leading in the 5th against Djokovic

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kyrgios and a Russian woman gonna win Wimbledon inshallah

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just Chamber posted:

Head to head record?
Federer has a losing h2h against Nadal and Djokovic

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

graph posted:

kyrgios/tiafoe is loving ripping this owns
I thought about buying tickets to see this but with the rain delays, it wasn’t clear when it would happen. Sad I missed it :negative:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sheri posted:

Serena seemed way more accepting of this being her last match then...everyone else in the world.
She hasn’t been competitive in her last handful of slam outings so she knew it was time.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is gonna be like last year’s final. Alcatraz is gonna be pooped after three 5 setters in a row, Ruud in straights.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Imagine if Medvedev wrote "Ukraine is Russia"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

nawilo_420 posted:

if djokovic wins i'm deleting this thread btw
Everyone better get their posts in before 7pm then.

I promise to make a good op for the new thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Djoker is probably going to win in 4. The machine can’t be stopped.