Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Animal Friend posted:

WA continuing to live out it's power fantasy of seceding from the Commonwealth has been kind of fun to watch.

It's also been fun watching various Sydney-based commentators slamming McGowan for it over and over again when they have probably never been to WA and have no desire to ever go to WA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

30 new community transmission cases from NSW.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Highest number of new cases for New South Wales since April.

On the other hand: still a lower total number of active cases than as recently as early November.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Greater Sydney residents or visitors cannot enter Victoria without hotel quarantine as of midnight.

VIC residents get an extra 24hrs to get home, must self isolate at their residence.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I do not want to get infected with The Sydney Virus.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I cancelled my Christmas on the Northern Beaches and instead decided to go spend it with my girlfriend and her family in... Albury. Why couldn't she be from Wodonga.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

We're supposed to drive up to Wagga tomorrow and then Dubbo on Tuesday to spend Christmas with family. Also supposed to pick up my new car while I'm up there. Right now it should be fine but I'm worried

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
gettin' the Gladys germs

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The future of coal, mistah speakah!

https://twitter.com/billmckibben/status/1339976383712423937

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
My folks and I are driving from the South Coast to Melbourne tomorrow, then flying to Tassie the day after, fingers crossed.

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

Barwon Health monitoring Sydney cluster contacts amid Geelong testing rush

Might be paywalled, depending on platform.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Paywalled and the private-browsing google search trick didn't get past it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
We have a work sub

quote:

Barwon Health is monitoring contacts of a concerning and growing coronavirus cluster from Sydney as the number of Geelong locals tested surged over the weekend.

Travellers are rushing to return home as Premier Daniel Andrews declared Sydney a “red zone”, with people arriving in Victoria facing a fortnight of mandatory hotel quarantine.

Barwon Health public health unit director Eugene Athan said a number of close and casual contacts to the Sydney outbreak have been identified in the community.

“All are self-isolating and are being closely supported and monitored by the Barwon Health Public Health Unit,” he said.

Prof Athan said Barwon Health saw a significant increase in testing over the weekend at both its Barwon Health North and Torquay Community Health Centre testing sites, including a number of returned travellers who were in Sydney on or after December 11.

On Saturday, almost 350 tests were conducted between these sites, compared to the seven-day average of about 140 test per day prior.

Prof Athan on Sunday afternoon said Barwon Health had conducted more than 180 COVID-19 tests at the Avalon Airport pop-up testing site since Friday.

“Those tested are currently in home quarantine as per DHHS guidelines, with authorised officers from DHHS on site at Avalon Airport to provide advice and guidance,” he said.

Prof Athan said while there was concern about COVID-19 re-entering the Geelong region, Barwon Health was optimistic any cases would be rapidly identified and isolated.

“We have already seen an impressive response from our community, demonstrated by the significant increase in people coming forward for testing over the weekend,” he said.

Thirty new cases were reported for New South Wales on Sunday, with 28 of those linked to the northern beaches cluster.

Mr Andrews said without mandatory mask rules and stay at home orders across Sydney, Victoria’s government and health authorities did not have confidence that the situation remained safe.

Mr Andrews announced from 11:59pm on Sunday, the Greater Sydney area and the NSW Central Coast would be designated as a ‘red zone’.

People who live in these communities, or have visited these communities since December 11, cannot enter Victoria.

Anyone from this zone found trying to enter Victoria in breach of this order will be subject

to 14-day mandatory hotel quarantine.

Victorians who have recently visited or are currently in Greater Sydney and the Central Coast, other than those in the Northern Beaches area, will be given until 11:59pm on Monday night to return home.

They must self-quarantine for 14 days at home, while those returning from Tuesday would need to undergo mandatory hotel quarantine.

Mr Andrews said the Northern Beaches area of Sydney would also be elevated to a ‘hot zone’.

Victorians in the Northern Beaches area remain subject to the NSW’s chief health officer’s lockdown orders.

Avalon Airport chief executive Justin Giddings said flights inbound from Sydney on Sunday and Monday were heavily booked.

“You’re seeing a mass exodus of mainly Victorians trying to get back before Christmas,” he said.

“I do expect there will be fewer services between Avalon and Sydney in the foreseeable future.”

Mr Giddings said there had been a significant amount of cancellations on outbound Sydney flights over the weekend.

For a list of testing sites in the Geelong region, visit https://www.barwonhealth.org.au/coronavirus

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

This is just local angle stuff

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/joe_hildebrand/status/1340557840277143552?s=21

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Hildebrand is an obvious troll but it is actually good that this new outbreak is confined to a relatively wealthy area with a higher proportion of white collar people who can work from home, as opposed to scattered across the city among low-income workers with big households and multiple insecure jobs, like Melbourne's second wave was

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Rich people were also responsible for some of the big outbreaks globally, no? They're far more likely to travel, go to ski resorts (like Ishgl in Austria) and, psychologically speaking, greater wealth corresponds to greater feelings of personal exceptionalism. And just generally higher rates of sociopathy/narcissism

But we already knew that mo money, mo problems (for other people)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We've seen how many heads of state get infected in the last few months?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Sulla Faex posted:

Rich people were also responsible for some of the big outbreaks globally, no? They're far more likely to travel, go to ski resorts (like Ishgl in Austria) and, psychologically speaking, greater wealth corresponds to greater feelings of personal exceptionalism. And just generally higher rates of sociopathy/narcissism

But we already knew that mo money, mo problems (for other people)

In a media headline grabbing way, sure - i.e. the Mornington Liberal donors, the Avalon couple - but on an actual coalface level you really don't want COVID breaking out in poor communities, for a whole number of reasons.

On a completely different topic, remember how Yumi Stynes got pilloried for making an innocent comment about somebody she didn't even realise was a war hero who has actually turned out to probably be a war criminal instead?

quote:

Victoria Cross recipient Ben Roberts-Smith was photographed cheering on an American soldier drinking from the prosthetic leg of a suspected Afghan militant whose death is now the subject of a war crimes investigation into the war hero.

The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald have obtained two photographs that show Mr Roberts-Smith, the country’s most decorated living soldier, posing with the prosthetic leg which was used as a novelty drinking vessel.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...220-p56p2y.html

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Maybe we should just kill the rich instead Joe.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

Maybe we should just kill the rich instead Joe.

kill joe, then the rich

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

kill joe, then the rich

Top Cop's plea.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

freebooter posted:

In a media headline grabbing way, sure - i.e. the Mornington Liberal donors, the Avalon couple - but on an actual coalface level you really don't want COVID breaking out in poor communities, for a whole number of reasons.

Of course. It goes without saying that poorer communities will always suffer far more than the rich (even the french bloody revolution doesnt escape this pattern), I just meant that it's common for people to frame these issues as "oh those [oppressed demographics] are responsible for all this poo poo, why should we have to wear masks or not be able to travel just because some [pejorative] wants to gently caress it over for everyone else" but in reality, as is usually the case, the true perpetrators are the loving rich and privileged. i.e. usually the people complaining about the situation they and their ilk have created and perpetuated

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Ok I secured the Christmas Ham and a case of vino so sydney can go into lockdown now. 2 weeks of wine and swine :getin:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Ok I secured the Christmas Ham and a case of vino so sydney can go into lockdown now. 2 weeks of wine and swine :getin:

Please tell me you're in western Sydney, so "All's swine on the western front" makes sense.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-20/former-deputy-prime-minister-doug-anthony-dies/12590524

Good loving riddance. Achieved nothing for his constituents and helped drag Australia towards the abyss that JWH joyfully threw us into. gently caress this guy.

MFTM died in the driveway of the Darwin Sobering Up Shelter about 10pm and was believed to be just passed out drunk until 10.18pm, when police checked her breathing. Police officers who took her to the centre did not check the custody log, which showed she had chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder and should be managed as “at risk”. She died of bronchiectasis. The coroner found police had failed to record every instance of protective custody, as they were required to do under general orders, and made two recommendations to that effect.

ISSUES RAISED
Medical care required but not all given, procedures not all followed, mental health / cognitive impairment.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
If anyone else is planning on travelling from nsw to qld for Xmas, apply now. My pass went through right away but says it can take up to three days to issue.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

freebooter posted:

On a completely different topic, remember how Yumi Stynes got pilloried for making an innocent comment about somebody she didn't even realise was a war hero who has actually turned out to probably be a war criminal instead?

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...220-p56p2y.html

quote:

In 2018, The Age and Herald reported how the leg was sometimes mounted on a wooden plaque with an Iron Cross and the heading “Das Boot”.

Cool

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Great so we can unironically say we have common ground with the SAS, an uncomfortable incident with an iron cross.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
It would be really loving nice if the headlines all along the lines of "QLD SHUTS BORDER TO NSW" instead said, "Literally nothing has changed today, calm the gently caress down"

Speaking as someone who lives in NSW but not in Sydney.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
when we're asked by our grandchildren if anything good happened in 2020, i haven't seen any war on christmas news this year

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

its because nobody is riding the buses

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

While it certainly doesn't forgive the iron cross, and the SAS are def war criminals, the das boot thing hopefully has a less heinous explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6hr-o6JiWs

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

bell jar posted:

its because nobody is riding the buses
lol

that reminds me, i've seen a few buses in recent days still with movember moustaches. troubled times

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

NPR Journalizard posted:

While it certainly doesn't forgive the iron cross, and the SAS are def war criminals, the das boot thing hopefully has a less heinous explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6hr-o6JiWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuDtACzKGRs

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I was down on the Surf Coast in Victoria, and about 1 in 50 people are wearing masks indoors. Everyone else has given up.

If the rest of Victoria is the same, there's no way it's contained to a not-mask wearing and not-locked-down NSW or Sydney.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Comstar posted:

I was down on the Surf Coast in Victoria, and about 1 in 50 people are wearing masks indoors. Everyone else has given up.

If the rest of Victoria is the same, there's no way it's contained to a not-mask wearing and not-locked-down NSW or Sydney.

rip to ur grandmas but we’re different

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Comstar posted:

Surf Coast has way lower mask usage then melbourne if my trip there a couple weekends ago was any indication.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Comstar posted:

I thought you lived in WA? Anyway, it's OK to be lax about masks on Victoria's Surf Coast because there's no COVID there. 38,000 tests yielding only 15 new cases strongly suggest the Avalon cluster has been contained to the locked-down Northern Beaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
1/100 people seems to be wearing a mask in Melbourne. I went out for lunch on Sunday and everything was super busy, I was the only one with a mask on. I'll just keep wearing it because I don't find it uncomfortable.