Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

It's pretty funny when you consider English has no official legal status as national language of Australia and the correct answer is factually wrong

Do you want to pass the citizenship test, or do you want to be right? they are mutually exclusive.

Also C might not be true but it is absolutely going to put you at an advantage in all 3 areas listed as benefitting vs those that dont so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

heaps of articles about friendlyjordies getting upset that hes as racist as a wogboy skit and totally glossing over all the corruption that, if Barilaro was not committing, probably wouldnt have resulted in friendlyjordies making the videos in the first place?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Seemlar posted:

Jordie is also apparently being investigated for a stalking a journalist and is claiming it's a press conspiracy to 'cancel' him, so maybe there could be a better messenger for shining a light on political corruption than Millennial Latham

from reading the article there is a non-zero chance its hildebrand so who gives a gently caress

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sulla Faex posted:

An indigenous man has had his license suspended after five police were found dead by the side of the road last September. This is the second time that the man's vehicle has been involved with the accidental deaths of multiple police officers. The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, claims that both times he was listening to "gently caress The Police" on the radio to the point of distraction and didn't realise his car was swerving over multiple lanes of traffic to impact upon the deceased. The judge has suspended his license for two weeks and advised more caution in future.

Seems a bit far fetched when you flip it, hey

I was enjoying this story why'd you have to go and ruin it by telling me its fake.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Flannelette posted:

This doesn't seem like something you can get out of like normal LNP corruption of it looks corrupt but there's no way to prove it. He broke an Australian criminal code law with irrefutable evidence, he's going to get hit with one or more of: deprivation of liberty, a civil suit and contempt of court. They have to charge him or the rule of law breaks down.

you must be new here.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Tommunist posted:

Hes done both

The best joke shorten ever pulled was convincing anyone he was worth voting for

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sulla flex, grind your mushrooms in a blender and put them into gel caps. That's how I buy them, easy to dose 1g = 1 cap.

No taste but the burps are a bit off. Gives me the grumbles too.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sulla Faex posted:

Like 10 years ago when I was growing them I was doing this too but I was broke so the capping thing I got was cheap and I would always get some of the fine powder on the outside of the caps, which just hits your tastebuds immediately and in such a worse, worse way. Plus I thought 00 capsules were like 0.5-0.65g? So for like 3.5g (to 4.55g?) I remember I'd take like 7 capsules.. what size capsules are we talking here that you can get 1g in them?

It's definitely not such a big deal, one way or another those suckers are going down, but the developed gag reflex was brutal and so I was thinking it'd be a nice little silver lining to this whole not being able to really smell or taste thing

They're big 1g capsules. About the size of an earplug. I usually dump the contents into tap water and drink it, hits in 15min if you've fasted.

The gag reflex can also be the dryness.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

CelestialScribe posted:

dunno about anyone else but as a VIC this attitude is really annoying. no one needs your thanks.

obviously he wasnt talking to you, you were the one breaking lockdown.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

apparently reddit aus is blocking/deleting threads about all the kevin rudd/jordies stuff thats going on at the moment. I dont visit reddit but the few times ive seen the auspol stuff there it seems pretty aligned with this thread? like there is definitely chuds there but most of the topics seemed to be pointing out how poo poo the libs are.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

What is the KRudd/Jordies spat, other than two people trying hard to stay relevant?

theres no spat. krudd is doing some petition against murdoch press that has got 300k+ signatures and Jordies has some lukewarm barilaro scandal taht doesnt appear to have anywhere near as much potential as he was claiming it had.

apparently both of these things violate the rules of r/australia

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

actually its probably not a great time to be throwing extra money into your super considering some of them are yet to recover from the covid downturn.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Tommunist posted:

Found the coup leader

I dont think I qualify as a (thread)lurker tbh

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Going to the pub pretty much as normal although if you aren't inside by 6.30pm on a nice thursday/friday/weekend afternoon you probably arent getting in for a while. beer gardens tend to fill up on nice afternoons really fast.

didnt have trouble getting a table for 10+ to watch the NRL final at the pub last night, but its one of the quieter pubs in the area.

what really sucks is gigs. everything is sit down, reduced capacity. kinda killed my motivation to get back out there and support local music when they are only letting like 20 people into a venue and everything is ticketed.

I went from seeing 20+ bands a week to none :(

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Tokamak posted:

This is by far the most gently caress up part. I am at the point where I am willing to pay $70-80 to buy two tickets just to get a two-seat table at a show playing music in a genre that I mostly like. But those sort of tables sell out instantly, and 4, 6, 8 seat tables are the only ones that hang around for any length of time. My social life revolved around watching bands and going to social events in bars, and that still isn't happening. Last thing I did was wonder around Mardi Gras in February because I had the sense it would probably be the last thing I'd get to before COVID.

nsw gov put out '1000 gigs in november' plan or some poo poo and it is entirely classic aussie rock cover bands, washed up aussie classic rock bands, ex aus-idol b-grade celebs or middle of the road milque toast garbage for tweens.

literally nothing for any of the thousands of smaller artists that have been entirely shut out of a source of income and performing for near 10 months, and the venues and stage hands and everything else that goes into it.

not to mention all the cancelled international acts that still would've played those small venues at high ticket prices.

I guess on the plus side my brothers band played to a packed house last night on their first gig back but he said the vibe was a little off without the crowd up in his poo poo while he masturbates on guitar.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Into The Mild posted:

Oh like a gay sauna..... wait you said usually for gay men... there’s hetro versions of this?

there is a few swingers clubs in sydney, yes.

I would join the discord but i rarely ever use it for any of the other thread chats and also i feel like all discords end up just being generic chat rooms rather than topic driven discussion like forum threads are.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dunno I like the fact that anyone can drop in the thread and engage in conversation about auspol. Personally I use this thread to keep on top of aus pol news and keep informed without the MSM spin on everything.

Plus the meltdowns are way better in here.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

NZ voted yes to euthanasia but no to legal weed. not that either has ever seriously been on the table here but I believe in the australian people to make the wrong decision on both counts if they do.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Someone make a discord bot that posts all political news links in the discord to the thread

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

abigserve posted:

Science anecdote; just reminded me of the surreal experience I had when I first discovered how they keep bird specimens - they stuff em and put em in draws

I got a tour from the caretaker once of one of the largest bird species archives (the largest in Australia, I think?) and it was amazing watching this guy just sliding draws full of birds open and being like "now you see this tail? This is the ONLY KNOWN SPECIMEN anywhere in the world of this bird!!!" as he's waving a literal stuffed bird in front of my face

It was hilarious, educational, and inspiring. Science is good imo

This is how they store specimens of most small animals and insects.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Who is anthony alanese and the 'labor' party?

do they know we spell labour with a U in australia?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I love cars and I love driving and I would 100% love it if public transport was better so my car can be even less practical and ridiculous.

Thanks.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

bowmore posted:

Who's paying $400 for bags, jeeesus

People that want less baby laxative/speed/creatine/other in their cocaine.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

There's rumours in health professional circles that the liar in SA was actually selling drugs which I can't find any supporting evidence for but it makes sense why someone might lie in THAT situation.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

everyone is loving rip roaring to get back into the office for literally no other reason than to make things 'back to normal'

maybe in the CBD it makes sense to push people back 'for the economy' but my office(s) are in the middle of bumfuck nowhere in western Sydney and there is nothing around them to support besides lovely tuckshops that are too far to walk to during your lunch break.

we (my team) literally got told we had to be back in the office to prevent other teams utilising 'our' space in the office as those teams had spread out in the office while we worked frome home. that was the only reason given.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

freebooter posted:

On the downside this has really thrown a spanner in the works of chucking fake sickies

Covid test results are less than 24hrs so not really.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

"Sir, we have decrypted the COVIDsafe app data!"

"Finally! Quickly open the files. What's in it?"

"Location data for the seven people that installed it mostly walking around their flats for 3 months."

"Excellent"

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Jordies is engaging young people in a way that both labor and the greens are failing to do so maybe yall just a bit jealous.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Yeah, both Labor and the Greens need a lot more casual racism and punching down at the lower classes

Works for the Libs.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

starkebn posted:

Why mock it at all? Not much different to commenting on a female MP's wardrobe all the time, or calling out Jono Sri for a rainbow scarf.

I'm guilty of it too often myself, but it's something that seems really low ball to attack someone over.

nah gently caress that and gently caress you for suggesting it.

e: they can afford plugs or a razor so the options are there and they are choosing the most cowardly way of dealing with it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Anidav posted:

Why is the economy growing? I'm still unemployed as poo poo

ive told you before, lose the face tatts.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Wasnt al-qaeda 100% fabricated by the FBI as a means to arrest osama bin laden retroactively for the 9/11 attacks?

and then, once america started shouting about it so much, the terrorists in afghanistan figured they were all part of the al-qaeda network and actually became a terrorist network?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Zenithe posted:

Rewatch part three of the doco “the power of nightmares” (Deffo overstated but real)

I could or you can remind me of it because Adam Curtis can be a slog

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The music scene in Melbourne is still probably the best in the country.

Highly specific but the stoner/doom scene there is extremely good and a few bands are starting to get international attention. COVID put that on ice but heaps of acts everywhere have taken the opportunity to record new music and get it out there.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hambeet posted:

How’s the music scene and night life in Sydney? Did they get rid of all the boomer bedtime restrictions?

they are using COVID as justification for sweeping a lot of archaic rules away to boost the economy. stuff like a nightclub being classified as 'anywhere that has a disco ball hanging and selling alcohol' for example.

they are lifting the coward punch induced nightlife restrictions too.

the CBD is still full of lovely nightclubs and expensive bars with little to no live music (bands, not DJs) outside of the arty enclaves like oxford st. anything without ultra mainstream appeal is pushed to the inner west and surrounds. the Metro still has bigger acts - my brother opened for Everclear there in feb.

Newtown, Marrickville, Enmore, are carrying the torch. one of the promotors I follow has been booking sit-down gigs in 2 sessions per night which I havent been able to get to, although im going to one in two weeks so maybe they will let us get up and dance (stand and nod slowly since its doom metal)

last year I was seeing 3-4 gigs a week. I havent seen a live band since March.

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Restrictions are easing but I don’t know anyone who would want to go to the city for a night out unless a band was playing. Pretty well dead.

Everyone’s moved on to Newtown about 5-10 minutes train from Central and now I can never get a seat at the loving Courty

on a belter of a day you would be lucky to get a table at the courty even without COVID restrictions loving everything up.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Liberal, NewsCorp, Feds, etc

Complete lack of opposition too

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im 35 and would gladly go and get melanoma all over my pasty white body if I could pick fruit at $35/hour.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

JBP posted:

Just wear a hat and sunscreen

i do. sadly I think its gonna be one of those things I Just have to accept will hit me anyway. mum + her sister + cousin + mums father and my father have all had skin cancers removed. I spent a whole day in the german summer sun last year and didnt even get a tan. It was so nice being able to experience summer the way I imagine normal people do here.

my point was though desk jobs @ 40/hr are soulless and not worth the extra anxiety/responsibility so i would gladly work picking fruit for slightly less knowing that at end of shift I can walk off the site and not think about it until I clock in the next day.

but lol at basically ruining your body for less than $17/hr.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 17, 2020

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What should we do with the north shore once coronavirus has killed all the existing residents?

let the ocean wash away the sins of the boomers and start anew (further inland from the rising sea levels)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/cash-for-koalas-nsw-government-considers-paying-farmers-to-preserve-habitat-20201221-p56pc1.html

Or we could just let them keep the habitat on their land for free, and if they remove it, throw them in loving jail.

but no lets pay them actual money for doing the absolute bare minimum right-thing.