Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
last time i re-read the dune books i actually found i liked god-emperor more than children of dune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kenny Logins posted:

tina fey fuckin' sucks big time. if you have any issues with current snl politics, which you should, she's behind it. if you have any issues with the comedy of snl, she's behind it. if you like comedy generally and wonder why it isn't better... she's also behind it. she sucks. maybe at one point she didn't but now she does so we should all move on

how did tina fey get to be in control of comedy

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i got sucked into another b5 rewatch after i found out they actually re-released it in high-def. it's not awesome but it still looks a hell of a lot better than the old DVD release.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

chuck lorre should be put in prison

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i used to have a big box fan running on low every night. 'low' was a pretty soft hum which was nice. it died a few years ago. i've tried getting a couple of fans since but neither of them worked out - one of them starts okay but gradually gets faster and faster, and the other is just BRRRRRRR at any speed.

i figure it works out anyway, this way if i have to sleep away from home i won't be missing the breeze and background noise.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Chris Knight posted:

many posts in yospos

bad posts

oh? ....yes?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

I assume he writes all his own one-liners like Arnold. But nobody can topple the king.

I watched The Running Man again recently and cracked up for like half an hour at "look, here is Sub-Zero! Now...plain zero!"

you just gave me a chuckle as i remembered that youtube video of the excerpts of the arnold schwarzenegger commentary of Total Recall where he just describes what is happening on the screen

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it's american literature, so that poo poo is mostly about racism and eating cowboy beans in the desert or whatever

i'm enjoying the thought of "cowboy beans" or the eating thereof being a euphemism for some filthy poo poo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

haveblue posted:

music licensing is a byzantine hell maze so they probably looked into what it would take to get the rights to all ~20 different covers and decided it wasn't worth it

it might have just been straight-up cost. the original DVD release of Married... With Children! dumped Love And Marriage for the intro/outro because whoever owns the song wanted too much money.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Chris Knight posted:

no one cares about your piracy adventures

i do. curious to see how difficult it is to break into ~the scene~ as a youth these days

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ultravoices posted:

watching the remastered b5.

it looks good for a show made for approximately two dollars and some cardboard and the ability to chew scenery.

season one is still meh. two-four hold up. i don't know if i'll bother with five.

honestly as i've gotten older i've only grown to appreciate the first season more and more, and the fourth season just doesn't interest me nearly as much

that said i recently got sucked into and finished a "rewatch", though as usual i didn't bother w/ season five either

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bump_fn posted:

alotta fagina made me laugh i won’t lie

she also made me big horny too

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

lmao i think they would have to roll up a dumptruck of cash to get her on another star wars movie

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FMguru posted:

they got harrison ford to do it (twice!)

lol at the way literally everyones expression in the rise of skywalked was pure "i am so loving done with this poo poo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd9DvIs97G0

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also i just finished the second season of Infinity Train and, i know it's a kids cartoon, but god drat it's so good. i loving love the synth music and the art design.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

qirex posted:

I'm gonna go deep on some nerd poo poo here but I feel like the people who work on the franchise have been trying to get rid of the jedi for over a decade and they just can't get across the line

in a lot of the side media like clone wars and rebels it's frequently implied and occasionally outright stated that the only reason the sith only exist is because the jedi do and you're not supposed to only pursue one side of the force. in the prequels the jedi's self righteousness and inflexibility made them blind to the fact that they were leading a fake war that destroyed the republic and led to them all getting murdered. luke's school failed because he was afraid of the dark side. I'd hoped with the literal act of destroying the jedi library and burying the past + the gold saber at the end of rise of skywalker they finally did it but they'll never let it go imo and the orange saber will just be retconned to be a jedi pregnancy test where orange means pregnant with the chosen one

what's gonna be hilarious is when disney does lean into a post-jedi "anyone can be a force user without the cultural/philosophical baggage of the past" setting and use it to just make more marvel-style superhero cape movies

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

https://i.imgur.com/qp8qFoj.mp4

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

I think someone said this already but in rewatching 90s star trek it becomes clear we really don't need 26 episodes a season thanks.

oh yeah short seasons definitely made picard and discovery much better shows

cut away all the unnecessary fluff, who needs fun character moments when we can really focus in on those brilliant season arcs

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also just lol at the entire notion of "ugh, there's too many episodes in this show which i ostensibly enjoy watching"

you don't have to binge the whole thing in one shot

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

infernal machines posted:

this is the thing, you've got a bunch of middling to mediocre writers and you just roll the dice 26 times a year and here and there you get some gold.

or you have half that and one overarching story and those same writers really bring their a-game the whole time and it's absolute poo poo because they're not nearly good enough to pull off that kind of writing

lol but they don't!! like the dipshits writing Westworld were frequently running late on scripts and half-assing it all over the place

just giant lols at all the jerking off last decade about how streaming would lead to the most artisanally handcrafted serial arcs, just beautiful season/series-long stories that could be told no other way, and whoops turns out the writers still can't loving produce on time

like the old TOS days where they had a bunch of sets/costumes from another show and decided to write an episode around them, but with a better framing device than "this is the gangster planet, it's full of 1920s gangsters"

hey, A Piece of the Action is great

yes, the starfleet admiral who thought "you know, i bet fascism could work, that hitler guy was just doing it wrong"

uhhhhhhhhhh excuse me, it wasn't a "starfleet admiral", it was some rando historian. god!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

indigi posted:

I honestly don’t think this is true, I think they just suck poo poo and none of them have read any PKD or Butler or Stross or Lem or even Vonnegut beyond maybe Slaughterhouse V. like their familiarity with the type of sci fi they’re attempting to make is nonexistent

nah the whole "security chief's a secret cylon!" reveal at the end of second season came in as a script revision the very morning they were shooting that scene

someone in one of the old Westworld threads claimed to have worked on multiple ~*prestige shows*~ where it was not uncommon to be getting script pages mid-production

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 9, 2021

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TOOT BOOT posted:

Unfortunately it looks like the Game of Thrones showrunners saw that talk

the GOT boys were so bad at their jobs that they had to go back and write additional scenes because they came in under the contractual minimum

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This makes a lot of sense considering they're failkids of studio execs.

one of them has a rich daddy at goldman sachs

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

oh are you watching the MST3K twitch stream too?

Achmed Jones posted:

i thought the first season of westworld was pretty good. each season got dumber and dumber, though, and that kind of tainted the first season because they leaned so hard into the worst parts about it

they should've just told basically the same "becoming sentient and escaping" story in different ways in the different parks with the conceit that it was all happening simultaneously (and without the promised land poo poo). if they couldn't do that and make it interesting, then welp it should've been one season

yeah i liked first season westworld. i'm not saying it's the best television ever but i thought it worked well enough. but agreed that the following seaons got dumber and dumber.

was it westworld or a different show where the writers got pissy that people on the internet were figuring out the plot twists in advance, so they decided to get extra-stupid on the writing to make the plot twists unguessable?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

NoneMoreNegative posted:

mfw I watch this later

"we have Men In Black at home"

lmao i love the fuckin' big dogs goldmine

...gently caress, i went to look for my favorite, "no YOU shut the gently caress up dad, you don't know a god drat thing about anime!!" but i think over the years my failing memory mashed a few of them together;

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

you're you, i'm me

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

i almost feel like Imperial Earth was the result of someone betting arthur c clarke that he couldn't write a character piece, and him proceeding to lose that bet

haveblue posted:

someone: maybe you could bring in a co-author to do the character stuff while you do the science stuff

everyone else: NOOOOO

why in christ did he go with gentry lee anyhow

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

rotor posted:

sources say that apparently he was pretty happy to have ... heh .... to have LANDED GENTRY lmao.

:ughh:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Casual Encountess posted:

i think my partner is possessed.

she sat down just now and was like “my friend said to check this show out i think ive seen it” and throws on stargate:Sg1.

turns out it had heavy play in france?¿? my american is showing but its always wild when she comes in hot with random super esoteric knowledge of completely random american tv like night court and hey arnold

i mean, jerry's somehow familiar with MADtv, which is not a show i would have expected to get exported

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

NoneMoreNegative posted:

a buddy from when I visited the folks at the weekend

hell yeah i love VINCENT

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Agile Vector posted:

ah garek, but if the actor didn't ignore the writers getting cold feet

god garek was so well portrayed by andrew robinson. maybe i'll do a character rewatch of ds9 once i push through rewatching s7

this was less the writers and more the studio (i.e. Rick Berman)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

the rebuild ramiel is terrifying and awesome. favorite angel of all time

on the other hand

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

the story is over. the movie poster has "Goodbye to All Evangelions" right on it. hideki anno will never create any more content for it, he's stated he's set out what he accomplished to do.

It might get franchised out with spinoff media but this is the canonical story line and there is no room for sequels after this.

lol yeah the only way the movie could have been more explicit about it is if they put a title card at the end saying "THIS IS THE END OF THE STORY, WE'RE NOT MAKING ANY MORE."

the ending is literally the world being remade into one in which there are no more evas.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

lament.cfg posted:

I made it like 7 episodes into Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Things that have happened so far:
lots of weird leering
14 year old boy goes into 14 year old girl's room uninvited, finds her coming out of the shower naked, trips, falls hands first onto her chest
14 year old girl is introduced as a character, is immediately hit by gust of wind to blow up her skirt, 14 year old boy trips and lands face first between her legs
14 year old boy whips his dick out as.. revenge? for upskirting girl

I'm done giving anime a try.

Giant robots, end of the world poo poo, kaiju, awesome. Miss me with teen horny poo poo.

yeah evangelion is very 90s anime lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

it was the 80s and asimov needed money

i bounced hard off of foundation and earth (that was the first of the post-trilogy sequels, right?). i don't think i even finished that book

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

foundation's edge was the fourth book, published 29 years after second foundation, foundation and earth was after that.

i read them because i was reading the series, but, yeah... asimov needed money.

must have been foundation's edge, then. i distinctly remember thinking the dropoff after the original trilogy was just too severe.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

there was a 13gb 2160p rip out about an hour after it hit amazon. the quality is pretty solid but you still get some blocking in smoke and really low light stuff. you'll besically never get away from that until someone posts a 50gb uhd bluray rip

13GB honestly seems a bit low for 2:10 of 2160p, did they recompress or do you think the same compression artifacts are in the actual amazon stream?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

the weird sex thing that always gets me about dune is that paul and chani are 17 and 15, respectively, when they have their first baby, leto II the elder who is killed in the sietch raid. he got her knocked up when she was 14.

i know they're supposed to be space tribespeople and all but gross. gross

huh, i hadn't thought about their ages before. i guess because my mental image is always of the movie actors, who are definitely not that young lol

pointsofdata posted:

in the film they barely talk (in fact I don't think they exchange one line of dialogue before hooking up, Chani says some quote from the book and then Paul thinks "I love her")

yeah, teenagers do dumb things, lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

what movie is this? oh, is it macbeth? do you mean macbeth? i think the play you're talking about is macbeth. i mean that's certainly the most famous play about scottish characters but it's a little unclear, so you can just use its real name, which is macbeth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h--HR7PWfp0&t=72s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

i think at least part of that is that worf is basically a klingaboo

i know i'm a broken record on this, but it seems incredibly unfair to poo poo on worf about this. like, he's not some dipshit human nerd who grew up consuming a subset of exported cultural works solely based on their exoticism and difference to domestic fare, he's literally a refugee who survived a brutal massacre in which his parents died (and he thought his entire family was killed too) and is desperate to connect to his heritage.

i mean, where are worf's adoptive parents gonna go for cultural materials on the klingon empire? the feds canonically don't know jack poo poo about klingon culture as of early TNG. maybe they could go to a klingon consulate or embassy, and of course they're gonna be providing carefully-selected materials full of the most self-serving "well actually klingons are in fact the most honorable space empire" propaganda. maybe ol' sergei tries calling some of his old starfleet buddies too, just "hey what do you know about klingon culture, do you know anybody" and gets some second-hand stuff that way too. "oh yeah i heard when one of 'em dies they do this weird thing where they howl at their gods". either way they're obviously not getting the complete picture.

i dunno. the "worf's a klingaboo lol" thing bugs me because it's at the intersect of not giving a poo poo about words having meanings ('weeaboo' is absolutely a pejorative) and/or lazily misreading the material to try and dig for a hot take. like, yeah, obviously worf's got a distorted view of klingon culture, but it's not coming from the same place as some dumbass white teenager in ohio jerking off about japan.