Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

SF posting compendium (3rd edition)
2nd edition
1st edition

talk about a book you read or a film you watched or something like that.

hopefully this thread will be allowed to linger on this plane for a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i'm optimistic about the dune movie

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Uptime Sinclair posted:

hell yeah ground floor

also crucial

haveblue posted:

sax stared at the mars rock. He considered examining the mars pebble next to the mars rock, but then he didn't. Instead, he examined the boulder. He nodded. ann walked over, and said something bitchy. sax chuckled, then sighed. "ann," he said, "please drive away." ann made a light from her suit and then she drove away.

sax stared at the sand. He reflected that the best rocks were the rocks that were so old. And that what this rock was. Where would he look for mars rocks next?

"Well, sax!" harrumphed michel. "Perhaps now you see that the people are not rocks?" sax nodded. The rock was so old. That night, he thought about the mars rock. He used an instrument that made the rock seem less old, but even then, it was still so old. sax was immortal and wise, but still he didn't want to leave, because it would be better to understand the rock. But the rock was so old.

phyllis drove over. "sax!" said phyllis. If you don't understand, there will be a space murder, and maybe a space capitalism!" sax was appalled. "I must understand the mars rock," he said. He sighed.

The next day, arkady bragged: "I will win the mars war! I am the best at winning the mars war!" sax sighed. But then sax saw what he would do: instead of examining the mars rock to the left, he would drive further. arkady was so surprised. "But... but mars is supposed to be so empty!" But sax was very smart. He examined the rock again, and in a way that was so smart.

"NOOOOO," shouted frank. sax had made the best discovery. He had found the best mars rock. john congratulated him, and ann wanted to have sex with him eventually. "Well," thought sax, "I will have sex with her. this is, after all... RED MARS."

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

PCjr sidecar posted:

yes that’s the one

the rest of the novels are good (I haven’t read inversions)

inversions is written and presented much differently than the other novels, and it doesn't have the same "wow cool spaceship" appeal either. i liked it but it's not going to be a good fit for everyone.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Amethyst posted:

good post title glorgnole

hey there amethyst!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

he also makes jambalaya

jambalaya's very good so it's a solid choice for a mid-life crisis culinary arc

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

it's got some good moebius aesthetics too

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

church of christ, cosmonaut

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Can we not get the thread gassed for anime again?

username/post content consistency, I guess?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Uptime Sinclair posted:

man. raised by wolves ep 2 is cool af

i thought this show was going to be really goofy but it actually mostly works and i'm into it now

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Uptime Sinclair posted:

it does lose something by trying to hew to ridley scott sci fi canon

seeing that androids once again bleed milk for some reason was a bit of an eye roll. like, ok ridley, we get it, you found an aesthetic nice work.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

indigi posted:

it represents cum

don't spoil the thesis of RBW Theorycrafting and Wild Speculation Episode 1/?? [10:01]

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

there's a particularly funny bit of foley at the end of the boys ep 5

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

is it an anime, jonny?

:justpost:

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

lol the first aeon flux i downloaded was the 3d version so it's left and right frames. anyways

does it work if you cross your eyes?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

The Fool posted:

is fantasy garbage allowed here or is it only for space nerds

yeah it's cool, you can even post about fantasy non-garbage if you want

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Corla Plankun posted:

if im reading a book i will simply close that book

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

water aliens suck the worst because how do you even invent fire or discover electricity underwater

that came up in The Algebraist, where a) it is quite hard, and b) the water aliens end up being smug about it

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

sent the yossmac

thank

you reminded me as well, and i in turn sent it along!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Beamed posted:

is legend of the galactic heroes good? im looking for some big sprawling epic to throw on the tv. hopefully something character driven and poo poo that's Not Bad.

it is good, there's a huge number of characters to keep track of, and its got real big 90s anime energy

also better if you can go in unspoiled lookin at you smoka, postin that 'most awesom anime death 320p' poo poo in here

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

indigi posted:

it's very very good as a series of action set pieces

as a narrative it's quite garbaggio

sunshine: garbagio in d minor

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

I liked it a lot, it's an interesting exploration of experimental politics and social structures

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

re: mandalorian, did anyone say blob fortuna yet

happy to be the first if not

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

echinopsis posted:

anyone here watching “raised by wolves”? the 2020 sci fi show? it’s an hbo thing

i’ve never seen anything quite like it. it’s like real sci fi maybe

it’s kinda cool and the necromancer is badass when she’s weaponised

it really goes off the rails after the first few episodes but it's got a unique look for sure

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

seen the Oldman version at least twice and loved it. this is my first time through the TV version, which makes it funny to remember some of the movies plot points and then sit there waiting for them lol. Smileys people seems to have more going on.

i had to watch the oldman tinker tailor twice to actually understand who everyone was and what their motivations were. it really does not hold your hand as a viewer imo

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

it is one of my favorite films

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

fine I guess you caught me. viggo mortensen doesn't have a dick they used cgi

it's a practical prop (the dick), but due to the technical requirements of the shots it's always placed 8 feet closer to the camera and positioned on some sort of mechatronic rig, peter jackson style

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

remember when comedies had an obligatory boobs scene

remember when hollywood regularly made comedies

i watched harold & kumar a few nights ago

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i absolutely would watch DUNE!

🎶feyd-rauthaaa
I've just met a boy named feyd-rauthaaa🎶

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Shaggar posted:

red mars is still one of the most boring things ive ever read and i cannot fathom attempting to read anything else ksr has written

shaggar is just upset by the experimental economics and/or Greimas squares

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

there's big money poo poo these dyas that doesn't even look half as good as this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsBoZ6dxL8E

iirc that's mostly (all?) practical models, where lighting Just Works instead of requiring a team of PhDs to attempt a perfect computational simulation

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

when Sagebrush jumps into a thread

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

if you havent read this, its a quick read and its fantastic:

https://qntm.org/mmacevedo

i've been thinking about this story a lot since i read it last night

tortured and exploited for one million years -- the ultimate grad student

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

I was asking for examples of that specific thing, not suggesting it doesn't exist

Contact by Carl Sagan is about this. there's both a novel and a film!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

echinopsis posted:

:wth: it was.. a joke :wth:

if u want to be horny in the Speculative Fiction thread it's gotta be through a SF lens

e: maybe go look at some Heinlein covers to get yourself in the right state of mind

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I would like to get smoka's opinions on the scientific concepts in Peter Watts novels

I think Greg Egan has a way more notable tendency towards intentionally obtuse fiction

dude would fit right in here, I mean get a load of his official wikipedia portrait:

Glorgnole fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 23, 2021

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

one take on that is it's specifically the 1st-chapter pov character (frank) who's being weird about the dudes from the arab faction he's exploiting to get his rivals assassinated. some of the other characters call him out (much) later for kinda fundamentally not getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

mediaphage posted:

i didn’t say that the author is racist. not intentionally anyway. but i think refusing to even entertain the idea because you think that it’s just a character so it’s fine is too dismissive. and there are poc who have read it and found it problematic too, so i think it’s worth bringing up. clearly you liked the book and this bugs you.

i think i found the post you were referring to (lol that there's a kim stanley robinson webforum)

"this guy from the author's forum posted:

YOUR BOY IS A RACIST
Alakazar - Tue, 06/04/2019 - 03:18

Hey everyone!

Just finished the Mars trilogy. Can your boy stop punctuating every chapter with a stereotype about Arabs?

As an arab myself, I'm tired of every white person (wherever they stands on the political spectrum) giving their unsollicited two cents about my people.

I'm equally irritated at both positive stereotypes (ahah the arabs seem like savages but once you get to know them you might be surprised) to negative ones (ahah the women staying in the kitchen ohlala...). It doesn't produce any kind of relfexion or observation. It's just sport for white people. I say that because for every arab or POC of color who intervenes on a forum to say what I just said there is a torrent of negative reactions from white ppl getting irritated at any mention of racism. So at the end of the day, by doing this, your boy just created a bone for racist dogs to chew at at the expense of arabs.

This, in itself, is a form of cultural imperialism. Please tell you boy to shut the F up. Thanks