Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

how is this a matrix sequel, it’s totally different
You don't remember the green pill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’m trying to read Revenger and the author just dumped 5 new characters on me and I am very tired
Read House of Suns if you haven't. It's his best book, IMO.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If only he had read his own tips.

mystes
May 31, 2006

John Wick movies are like if someone $50 million on an episode of a CW show.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm holding out for xwing vs tie fighter the movie.

mystes
May 31, 2006

yeah no

mystes
May 31, 2006

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

i was confusing that with father ted for some reason

looked it up and it seems similar to veep?
No, that's The Thick of It, but watch both.

mystes
May 31, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I thought it was an okay movie but I also don't give a poo poo about star wars. What annoys me is that they have a literal universe to work with and create something new but they keep on using things from the original trilogy to drive the nostalgia factor.

I feel like mandalorian is heading in the same direction.
I hate 7 because of this. The first five minutes seemed really interesting and then it was like, "No, lol, that's not the movie you're getting. Enjoy another rehash of 4."

mystes
May 31, 2006

qirex posted:

westworld was a moderately interesting idea that got turned by s3 into setups for a bunch of incredibly unimpressive "epic moments" that are all dumb as hell if you think about them for more than 5 seconds
So basically the same as season 1.

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

the return of [spolier]bib fortuna![/spoiler]

also mark hamill shows up as cgi luke skywalker, wrecking fools with his green lightsaber and taking the li'l yoda away to train. artoo shows up as well!
Please tell me this is a joke.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe in season 3 they'll all go to Disney World at this rate?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Memento is the only one where the stupid gimmicky structure even remotely contributes to the movie in a positive way. It's honestly also one of the few cases where a twist ending is actually good and thought provoking.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I hated the first but honestly I didn't really like the LOTR movies either.

Peter Jackson's King Kong was a million times worse though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

once again, the only way to get a movie totally free of bullshit turns out to be :filez:
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1341106003581030404

mystes
May 31, 2006

You have to wait at least 1 week before filing a missing scene report, so the investigation hasn't even started yet.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

if you dont roll avs sigs off i will finger you as a fascist collaborator and not cry when you get put up against the wall
Does avs sigs off mean yes avs and no sigs or no avs and no sigs?

mystes
May 31, 2006

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it was me I killed baby yoda
Thank you.

mystes
May 31, 2006

indigi posted:

how the gently caress did the Baby Yoda puppet cost five million dollars
Think about it this way: would you rather have The Rise of Skywalker or 55 baby yodas?

mystes
May 31, 2006

With so many of them it's surprising they don't suffer an identity chrises

mystes
May 31, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

mcu poo poo is extremely samey structurally and at no point in any individual movie’s character development or narrative matter because they’ll hit the reset button for the overall arc at a drop
This is one thing that I hate in sequels in general (not limited to marvel movies). If a character learns some lesson and grows in the first movie, you can't just reset that and do the exact same thing over again in the second movie, because that ruins the first movie.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Carthag Tuek posted:

thank god wonderwoman is there to save the innocent children from the nevarious terroristic palestinians
Maybe they can cast Nicholas Slatten as the new Captain America while they're at it?

mystes
May 31, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

his rice sucks
They killed him off. It's just "Ben's original" now.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm really excited for the Marvel / Star Wars crossover series.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Trying to explain that would be like trying to explain the economics of Harry Potter or something equally stupid.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dear scifi thread, nothing about the world of harry potter actually sense if you think about it. It's all just written to be whimsical and based on what JK Terfling needed to happen in the story at any given time.

It's meaningless to start analyzing it and that was my point in comparing John Wick to it. I absolutely wasn't trying to start a harry potter derail and you should all be ashamed.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

the magicians was really bad. the premise sounded cool but the delivery was joss whedon bullshit at best, torchwood or something at worse. it was so bad

it's awesome that most people seem to have turned on joss whedon finally. now i can talk about how terrible he is without folks tripping over themselves to defend his poo poo and i like it a lot
I didn't like The Magicians but at least it sort of seems to have some minimal self awareness of the fact that it's dumb, which I think puts it slightly ahead of Joss Whedon shows.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I think you'll find that is FIAT and they should be using their own crypto currency called hitcoin

john_wick_4_death_to_central_bankers.flv
I hope this isn't the premise of the tv show that someone mentioned.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sorry, but the collapse of the us was the best sci fi anime of 2020.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Carthag Tuek posted:

i thought he was batman already
Almost like he's returning as batman. Maybe they could make that the title somehow?

mystes
May 31, 2006

The fantastic beasts movies are so terrible anyway.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Carthag Tuek posted:

it is beautiful
The perfect snipe.

I liked baby driver, which is like if drive didn't think it was a super serious movie.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Just watch the miniseries to get the story first and then don't bother watching the movie because even though it's decent, the miniseries is better anyway.

mystes
May 31, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

that’s not good news at all, op
Maybe they're dropping it directly in the trash can?

mystes
May 31, 2006

They should make a sequel to dredd and add baby yoda to it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Both al bundy and homer simpson would be poor, angry divorced chuds now.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I stopped watching part way through season two but season 3 sounds pretty wacky from what people are saying here.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVNuozKyA3o

the first ten minutes of a film that will EVIDENTLY NEVER BE loving RELEASED
I'm pretty sure they already released this poo poo 500 times starting 25 years ago.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm just imagining a parallel universe where the people who made Friends had to keep remaking friends a thousand times because they couldn't make anything else successful and this rear end in a top hat has the exact same video but with a flowchart of all 37 friends timelines.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

I have yet to se an evangy lion
Didn't they make movies out of the cs lewis books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this is like the best bit of how the trilogy continued. he becomes unimaginably powerful but it turns out to be in a context fully created and controlled by the opposition. making it not quite worthless, but kind of inconsequential since your actual goal involves dissolving that power structure.
This is less "the best bit of how the trilogy continued" and more "a fundamental flaw in the first movie that made it impossible to make sequels that didn't suck."