Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
*Burrow makes one dumb rookie mistake week one*

TFF: drat he looks awesome lets see more

*Herbert makes one dumb rookie mistake his first start*

TFF: drat smoke and mirrors, bench him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

The Chiefs struggled because they couldn’t tackle anyone, anyone!! I want to see how many missed tackles came out from that game

I love that he's back and still really like him but Juan Thornhill is part of this problem.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

a neat cape posted:

Burrow would have ran for the first down

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Better Than You posted:

Burrow would have ran for the first down

He had the option week 1 and threw a stupid pick to melvin ingram

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Didn't see that game. I recant :D

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

He had the option week 1 and threw a stupid pick to melvin ingram

Looked this up to make sure I wasn't going crazy and these things are absolutely not on the same level. Burrow might have made it because he's an incredible athlete but it wasn't even close to sure, Herbert pulled up two yards before the marker with no one in the area and threw a duck back across the field that hung in the air forever. Both really dumb, one is clearly dumber.

I mean, I say this as a guy who's been on record saying Herbert should play?

e: the Bad Burrow play.

The Herbert pick.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 21, 2020

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

a neat cape posted:

Burrow has been getting first team reps all summer and has been preparing to start since being drafted. It's a different situation considering the Bengals don't have anybody to put in front of Burrow and never did whereas the Chargers always planned for Herbert to sit as long as possible.

Personally I'm not saying it's smoke and mirrors at all, in fact it was an amazing debut, but I am saying the coaches probably know better than us how ready he is. And there were some indications that he could use more practice with the first team despite all the good things he did do in the game

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Grittybeard posted:

I love that he's back and still really like him but Juan Thornhill is part of this problem.

Yeah he missed a lot of them, along with usual culprit Sorensen who after his playoff heroics has earned a pass. I guess he’s rusty from the injury. The linebackers all missed so many tackles as well. Only Mathieu can reliably tackle. Why is it so hard for all defensive coaches to teach tackling like Seattle/Carroll does?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Play posted:

Burrow has been getting first team reps all summer and has been preparing to start since being drafted. It's a different situation considering the Bengals don't have anybody to put in front of Burrow and never did whereas the Chargers always planned for Herbert to sit as long as possible.

Personally I'm not saying it's smoke and mirrors at all, in fact it was an amazing debut, but I am saying the coaches probably know better than us how ready he is. And there were some indications that he could use more practice with the first team despite all the good things he did do in the game

How does he get practice with the first team if you're starting tyrod and he takes the first team reps

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

a neat cape posted:

How does he get practice with the first team if you're starting tyrod and he takes the first team reps

You wait until next year, like the rest of the Chargers franchise was planning on doing.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

OxySnake posted:

You wait until next year, like the rest of the Chargers franchise was planning on doing.

Seems dumb

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I think Herbert won't look as good as he did Sunday every game if he becomes your starter. He may lose you a few games. But he's also going to develop faster if you stick with him. He may even win you a few games and Tyrod definitely isn't doing that.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I think burrow should sit a year too, if only so Cincinnati can find someone to block so burrow doesn't die.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Herbert is definitely better than Tyrod but tbh I'd probably feel better if Mahomes wasn't playing during hellplague deathseason and he definitely doesn't need the time off so if you're handed the opportunity to not get your rising star QB murdered during the season with the biggest asterisk on it maybe take the out you're given

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

wandler20 posted:

You've also got to consider the Chiefs had no idea Herbert was playing and didn't prepare at all for him. And now there's tape on him, which there was none of before because he didn't even get to play in a preseason. I think Lynn is probably doing the right thing here.

I've never really bought this.

This new QB, do you think he's gonna throw the ball or what coach?

Dunno, we don't have any tape on him, what if tunnels under the field for 1st downs?!! *PANICS*

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Dunno, we don't have any tape on him, what if tunnels under the field for 1st downs?!! *PANICS*

That's willfully going to the ground, the play would be blown dead.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

QBs definitely have tendencies that show up on tape and that teams scheme for. Plus just knowing what a guys natural capabilities are what kind of throws he’s capable of making.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Isn't the playbook for dealing with rookie qb's pretty much just pressure pressure pressure and more pressure anyway? I doubt that would change with some preseason games or even if he had started in week 1.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

YOLOsubmarine posted:

QBs definitely have tendencies that show up on tape and that teams scheme for. Plus just knowing what a guys natural capabilities are what kind of throws he’s capable of making.

Trubisky struggling with throws to the left his rookie year comes to mind. Of course that’s something a coach is going to notice on tape and take advantage of come game time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though Trubs has had games were he throws incredibly well so on a game by game basis it probably isn’t useful.

Specifically as the league has become QB friendly for raw stats

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Imagine questioning Derek Carr.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Holy loving poo poo what

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Always ice your kicker

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Strobe posted:

I am fully here for the AFC West Division of Kicking Excellence.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Holy loving poo poo what

Pooo Brees

I know the defense was what completely poo poo the bed, but comeon, I'm gonna say it.

Nov 6, 2002

Good.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
da, and I cannot possibly stress this enough, raidaaaaaaaas

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Saints would have had 2:30 and a timeout if not for a completely needless DPI too

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Pooo Brees

I know the defense was what completely poo poo the bed, but comeon, I'm gonna say it.

This is one of those games where the stats don't tell the story. 26/38 for 312 is what happened, but it sure as hell wasn't a dangerous 300 yard game.

Intruder posted:

Saints would have had 2:30 and a timeout if not for a completely needless DPI too

That awful, awful interception at the end of the first half too.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Intruder posted:

yeah that was a complete killer

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Raiders were really trying to give the game back too, it was pretty wild. Just completely lifeless runs, and prevent defense.

Nov 6, 2002

I wanna see the Raiders in the conference round at least.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
https://twitter.com/LeighMayock/status/1308249177596375041

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Lol did the Saints lose to the Raiders?!?

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

How much of those 300 passing yards are after the catch? That one late pass to Sanders seemed like the longest one

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Guze posted:

How much of those 300 passing yards are after the catch? That one late pass to Sanders seemed like the longest one

Toward the end of the game someone posted that he'd completed one pass two apparently over 6 yards in the air after the first quarter I think? So a lot is the answer.

Which to be fair a lot of YAC is normal for him, but most of this was the Raiders D being pretty bad themselves rather than picking the perfect target and hitting them in stride or whatever.

e: vv--yeah that was what I was thinking of.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 22, 2020

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Guze posted:

A lot of them.

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1308241606861094912

IIRC, this was before their last drive or two.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Its Rinaldo posted:

Lol did the Saints lose to the Raiders?!?

They sure as poo poo did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

a neat cape posted:

I'm sure they've been working him in regularly since camp started, but yeah there are positives and negatives from sitting rookie QBs for sure. Luckily, Herbert will get plenty of first team reps in his career if he's actually a thing.

I get your point though, the real question is whether this is Anthony Lynn being ridiculously conservative or whether Herbert really, truly isn't ready . A question we can't really answer with what we know

Grittybeard posted:

This is one of those games where the stats don't tell the story. 26/38 for 312 is what happened, but it sure as hell wasn't a dangerous 300 yard game.

That awful, awful interception at the end of the first half too.

Yeah Brees was major garbo. Basically all his yards came after the catch, on short passes and crossing routes and swing passes and screens and such. Looked totally afraid to throw it downfield at all. I wouldn't put it past him to shape up big time but right now he's looking cooked

That INT to some big chungus run-stuffing linebacker was crazy too. Just got pressured at his feet and threw it right to him