Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

i've had so many jobs, and finally managed to get full time computer touching instead of side computer touching to supplement those jobs to live. i can assure you computer touching is still work. honestly working construction and making incredibly wealthy peoples 8th dream home felt like less of a contribution to society than what i do now.

that's if the debate is labor needs to create a tangible benefit to society as a whole. if it's just nitpicking segments of labor and deciding that they are busy work for the wealthy, i kind of feel like that's all labor at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

with this whole thing with tiny toes or whatever their name is, is there actually anything pointing to the forums being bothered by chuds? if so is there somewhere i can go to see what the mod plan is to handle it? i come here to poo poo post about computers in a relatively chud free environment.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Can confirm was a ranger at city level, and all people want to do is completely destroy habitats. we had an issue where someone went in and started shooting endangered species in an enclosed off limits area because they didn't like endangered species. Constantly struggling with getting people to not destroy the entire park was a nightmare, you'd think it would be a chill job. But it's just like get out on patrol and spend your day asking people to stop flying drones into birds, or please don't light this hill on fire, or please stop riding your quad here it's prohibited due to protected species. You also just get poo poo on endlessly by everyone you stop yelling at you about how the parks are their tax dollars, and so thereby your salary is their tax dollars. Or yelled at about how the nanny state is ruining their park visit.

RE the cops/rangers thing, it's really location dependent if you're not federal. City/county level every org seems to run with different rules and types of people. Where i was, we were very concerned about ecological impact and trying to educate people above all else. At the same time a couple cities over the ranger department was also working shifts with PD and much less about taking care of parks and ecology. Downside to being ecologically/education motivated is that the police are always fighting to take your budget and repurpose it into more cops who are "clearly going to do the job better".

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

I bought a used impala recently, and got a great price. The dealership was like, we just want these out so that we can put more trucks on the lot, the margins are incredible on the trucks.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

i'll go one step further and state that the policy should be anybody that actively campaigns for a political position should be barred from it.

all the people that serve should hate it, look forward to their last day, be randomly selected, and paid heavily for it

i've held this opinion for awhile.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

the hospital that is about to lose all its employees should say "we are currently offering $10,000 a day for nurses to come and work at our place, getting on a plane tonight and starting tomorrow morning, until we can fill the positions with permanent staff." i guarantee that will solve their staffing problem.

they are using the fact that people will die if they don't do this to try and guilt people into doing the work for free, because they don't want to pay what it's going to cost to fix it. that's literally all that is going on here.

this.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

https://www.businessinsider.com/car-feature-subscriptions-add-ons-bmw-ford-toyota-gm-2022-2
love to pay for my car then subscribe to my heated seats

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

wait why is rivian a scam?

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

so maybe i'm just dumb when it comes to hunting turkeys but wouldn't a spiced slug like that do nothing? the spices aren't going to make it to the turkey, they're going to diffuse into the air. wouldn't you still end up getting the bird with the birdshot, which might have some spices on it, but not enough to do anything.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

just checking into the hellworld thread to say i'm not looking forward to nov 8. it's disappointing watching this downwards slide and thinking to myself i should get out of mainland us/us in general, but not wanting to leave my family and friends.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Equifax_data_breach looks like private industry can't handle having data. probably should shut down private industry.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

I wish public transit was feasible where I am. I'm looking at moving though, and I won't consider anywhere that doesn't have usable public transit.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

yummycheese posted:

i don’t understand how cops, which effectively already have a monopoly on policing, need a union.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

ugh. i'm just waiting for my turn to get hit in my neighborhood. it's a residential street, but people come down it at high speeds, in the wrong lane, texting all day. it's like a shortcut around the slower main street with traffic on it. my wife and i joke about it being like the beginning of pet sematary with the foreshadowing. but it's a real concern since we like to walk.

there's all the please slow down signs up everywhere, but that's not going to stop the reckless driving. you would think the city would figure out they need speed humps based on how often the "yield school children crossing" sign gets obliterated.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

there's also non-law enforcement park rangers who do the majority of the keeping bears and people from fighting each other.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Starting to cotton to the idea that the cruelty to unhomed people is all on purpose, specifically to remind us that we should be happy with $15/hr.

15 an hour is no longer enough to get by. the fight for fifteen has been going on so long now it needs to be the fight for 30. but realistically the number picked doesn’t matter, living wages aren’t going to be a thing.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

man i loving hate the future so much

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Our sworn enemy China, without whom the entire middle class standard of living would collapse

I'm feeling some frustration at this cognitive dissonance that seems to be so popular. This isn't directed at PFC, but the quote sums it up well, China is a major trade partner, they aren't a sworn enemy. We all have some cognitive dissonance, but it feels like in the states we've been really ramping it up over the past few years.

The house has passed the anti tiktok bill which apparently Biden is waiting to sign. I actually enjoy tiktok, and all of the similar :911: offerings seem to be unable to find me videos I'm interested in seeing. Going to be missing my short break dopamine hits when its banned. But at the same time the reasoning given is fairly obviously not the reason it is being banned, but I still hear people talking about how tiktok is stealing all our secrets for China.

I see people all over the web posting about "if you didn't want it banned you need to vote" and I don't even understand how people can have that opinion when this is bipartisan. It seems like rhetoric has replaced reality for a lot of folks. Just too much dissonance in popular culture for me right now.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Internet Old One posted:

The US has every reason to ban tiktok the only reason it's odd is because they've had the same reasons to cut off a ton of other Chinese companies and they didn't do anything until teenagers were having fun.

I think the issue is that american companies are upset, not that there's a national security reason to ban tiktok. I mean, I can go buy the data collected by my car, facebook, etc. The data is all available for sale to anyone who will pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

dioxazine posted:

likely the regime's attempt to preserve rust belt and union votes given recent polling, no?

that it takes precedent over all other considerations is probably has a bit of an ideological bent

given the way that current events appear, it seems unlikely. dems don't make as much when they win. i'm also not really sure that either party cares about retaining anyones votes. our system continues to work exactly the same if 200k people vote, or 2 people vote.