Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

what if higurashi but backward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

drat was keiichi wearing kevlar or something

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

The Colonel posted:

i think the anime also cuts out the bit in chapter 5 where they reveal that mion and shion swapped places as children, and technically shion is mion and vice versa which adds a whole extra layer to how hosed up shion's childhood was and why she's kind of an absolute emotional wreck

i think it's less that she's creepy and more that given the context of ch4, she already obviously knows how this all works anyway so to her it's probably not even that big of a deal. i kinda pieced out that it was a time loop by that point so i just thought like "ah she's just aborting this one now huh"
ch5 is weird in that it's basically a full retread of ch2; the content is different, since there's a long prologue and you follow Shion's perspective instead of Keiichi's, but the actual narrative seems identical, right down to specific events and conversations. I think Rika's death is the only thing that changes—and it makes sense that she'd peace out, given that she's experienced this exact same sequence of events before and had it end super poorly.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Rhaka posted:

So I think I watched the first two seasons of Higurashi a decade ago, but I remember jack poo poo about it--I recognize a plot element in Gou here and there, but I'm mostly ???ing my way through what's going on.

Just for clarity (since I'm not spoiling myself by reading through the thread!), is this a reboot/remake of the original, or its own thing?
It's a sequel with a lot of recycled scenes from the original

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Sinteres posted:

There are things that don't really make sense as a sequel either, though that could just be bad writing. Rika loving up the dance in the same way she hosed up previously seems weird, especially now that we know she has tons and tons of experience doing this. Plus she could just be more proactive about making sure Keiichi doesn't wander off. It's like Rika just became a passive idiot instead of doing anything to try to prevent a bad outcome. More generously, I guess Rika could just be giving in to despair again (which the last conversation in this episode points to) after seeing her attempted intervention backfire horribly in the last arc, especially if this isn't the very next loop she's experienced and she's seen other attempts backfire as well. I think some of it's going to end up being that some contrivances were kept in just to keep the arcs working as parallels as long as that's the format the show's sticking with though, and that's the main reason Rika isn't confiding in anyone after learning the power of friendship before.
I mean, if it isn't a sequel, then the entire scene with Hanyuu makes no sense. Furthermore, she appears in that scene as a high school girl, as well as on the poster The show so far has made it pretty explicit that she's been sent back into the loops from later in life.

There is no point between loops in the original Higurashi where Rika can say this, given that she doesn't learn it until the next-to-last loop, and forgets between it and the next.

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 16, 2020

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

OnimaruXLR posted:

There's no real way of knowing which of the twins is doing any given thing at any given moment unless you can see the tattoo, right?
There's generally no way of confirming it physically, but you can use other evidence to make an educated guess. For example, in original Higurashi ch2, the fact that "Mion" didn't show the tattoo implied she might actually be Shion, as did her obsession with having "Shion" call her "Mion". Neither of those things represent absolute proof, but together, they let you reasonably conclude that the "Mion" who appears in the ending is really Shion.

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 19, 2020

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

In the original Higurashi, Rika says that she's never seen Mion succumb to the virus and become a murderer—not even a single time in the hundred loops she's gone through. The extent of her trust and willpower means that it never, ever happens. For Mion to be the killer, which seems like it might be the case here, suggests some kind of foundational change in the situation, or possibly even in the nature of the virus.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Space Flower posted:

whether it's weird in general or is weird now and resolved later by gods and witches and akasaka is kinda w/e to me.

I just don't think Gou has shown any ethos to its new content. Higurashi the visual novel series spends hours setting up the conditions of the episode that lead them into eventual tragedy and it characterizes it all as heavily human and sympathetic even when we don't know what is going on. Gou is just like "Rena showed up at my door with a murder kit" ok cool what did I learn here
Yeah. Playing the original question arcs, I didn't fully understand what was going on but I felt like I could understand if I looked at it a little closer. Watching Gou, it doesn't feel like there is anything to understand, things just happen

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Big Scary Owl posted:

WTF HAPPENED WHY

NEKODAMASHI???

bernkastel is associated with cats. is this seriously going to be the bernkastel origin story nobody asked for

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Big Scary Owl posted:

I completely forgot about the existence of Nekogoroshi when I made that post, wonder if it'll be a spin on that or just change into something completely different
Huh. I only played the VN, so I didn't even know about it

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Julias posted:

Thanks When They Cry Wiki...
hosed up that they're denying us keiichi's chad stride

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

GodFish posted:

The sword wasn't in the shed in the second arc either, so we know it's being stolen (probably by the other looper?)
Sorry, why are people so sure that there's a second looper? Am I missing something?

Sinteres posted:

Edit: Forgot one more thing. Takano's the only person we know who's forcibly made someone sane switch over to full L5 symptoms like she does to Tomitake. Mion going from someone who explicitly never went crazy to whatever the gently caress we saw in the second arc seems suggestive, as does Ooishi's abrupt change (and Rena's, though obviously we know she's capable of going L5 on her own). Maybe the fact that it seems like the obvious (to the point of being boring?) answer means that's not it, especially since the whole show so far has been setting up parallels simply in order to disrupt them, but it's certainly the solution that does the least to disrupt what we know from the original work.
Takano does it via injecting him with the L5 suppressant Satoko uses—supposedly any non-L5 patient who takes the L5 suppressant suffers L5, or L5-like symptoms, immediately. (I think this was stated in a TIP?) So anyone who has access to that suppressant can make anyone suffer L5.

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 8, 2021

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I guess the implication of the murder montage is that literally anyone, no matter their circumstances or characteristics, can fall victik to this new Hinamizawa Syndrome. But this episode was dumb as gently caress so I'm dropping the show

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

the gore was really nasty and I was glad when they both activated their dbz super modes and had an umineko-esque laser swordfight instead (this is the only time i will relate sotsugyou to umineko)

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

good finale. liked the part where they threw the sword off the bridge, though I would've liked some more conservative camera angles for the face-punching segments (even if ep14 was an order of magnitude worse in that regard). the witch origin story stuff was laid out a little plainly (see: rika and satoko's final exchange, which is just a rehash of some of their umineko lines); I think they could've afforded to get a bit more metaphorical/indirect with it, especially since everyone realized it a season ago. to my shock, the boring hanyuu/eua stuff had a payoff, though it felt like an anticlimax after the rika/satoko fight (the thing I actually cared about) was implicitly resolved. sotsugyou: a decent show when it's not rehashing the original anime and/or earlier parts of itself

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Das Boo posted:

See, I was under the impression she was Takanon for years as Higurashi was a Rika/Takano battle of wills and it made sense that they'd chip off into witches that antagonize each other. Was there an earlier warning sign I missed?!
not really lol. I also assumed Lambdadelta corresponded to Miyo. I'm pretty sure most people did. Hell, I'm pretty sure that was the intent when Umineko was published...?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

wocobob posted:

hi jumping into this thread to ask a quick question: i’m 7/8 through the higurashi vn, and I was going to watch gou after finishing Matsuribayashi. but I saw something implying this show also spoils umineko somehow? if so i’m going to save it until even later lol, since I want to play umineko at some point too.

does it? (just looking to know the answer, even if it’s like “yes but the fact that it does is technically a spoiler for sotsu”)

god this poo poo is so complicated
Gou doesn't have any real spoilers, but it preempts some events in Umineko in a way that might weaken them for you when they happen there. Also, it isn't very good.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Shion not saying anything about St. Lucia Academy was one of the strangest gaps in Gou to me, given the large and awful role it played in her life. I'm glad the manga patches that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

J-Spot posted:

The new Higurashi manga has leaked early and people are already melting down over it. None of the club members paired up, Rena is divorced, Satoko married a Kimiyoshi, and Rika is the only one who never got married or had kids.
lmao. i can understand not wanting to pair the club members up with each other: the original higurashi wasn't that kind of work at all, and sotsugyou explored rika/satoko but left the ultimate outcome of that relationship ambiguous. giving them conclusive pairings would go against the former, and maybe the latter too. but pairing them all with faceless extras is equally conclusive, just in an odder and less satisfying way.