Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah the whole time I kept thinking that Bernie could have handled him and shut him up.

I love Bernie too, but you’re dreaming. No one, short of reanimating Daddy Trump, who I suspect would have him cowering, can shut him up, the format sucks, turn his drat mic off at least.

Skyline chat. A GT-t is probably going to be more fun than a 370Z and be much easier to build for big power if that’s what you want to do. A 370Z isn’t going to break down and have the problems of a 20yo used performance car. As for parts, ask the guys importing the car. Here in NZ where we’ve been doing the JDM thing for decades, Skyline parts grow on trees.

“Just get the GT-R!” lol, at this point that’s like telling someone don’t buy a 458, just get the F40. Unicorns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Krakkles posted:

so I guess GT-Ts aren't as far downmarket as I thought they were.

280hp vs 320ish and slightly dumber AWD are really the key differences, along with the guards and fancy screen. Once you start modifying people seem to rip out a lot the other stuff that makes the R an R.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I don’t think even with the level of 3D chess Republicans think they’re masters of that a hoax makes sense. His whole brand is authoritarian hard man, strong and healthy as an ox, healthiest president ever, he can’t then turn around a catch a Democrat hoax mild flu.

Would pay money to see the press ask about his comorbidities, and ask “are the presidents doctors concerned that his history of bone spurs will affect his treatment?”

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Shouts to our national parks. Funny you mention them, I just read this tweet. 3 hours from the carpark on an 8 hour walk in the Coromandel - anti COVID measures installed. Top work, DoC.

https://twitter.com/lukechristensen/status/1312647426675666944

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Hi all, been lurking a while but finally have a driveable car that isn't a Lada perpetually waiting for parts and I wanted to show it off.
Got it just in time so I don't have to worry riding the motorcycle in rain and on fallen leaves.

Pretty happy with this.

Is there a thread on Nissans and Infinitis? I couldn't find one during all my lurking :shobon:

I think I’m the only other one here with a JDM Infiniti - 2006 Fuga 450GT. Nissan tragics are a dying breed.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

nm posted:

These were really good cars
M35/45 in the US. Some of the last really decent infinitis sold in the US.

I love it, and surprisingly it gets a lot of compliments too. The interior is maybe not quite Lexus build quality, but not far off (they suffer from dash cracks and my headliner just gave up). They’re loving LOADED considering their age. Active headlights, 4WS, voice command, nav and DTV tuner, although obviously mine only speaks Japanese, heated and cooled seats, full Japan-spec lazyboy passenger seat, optional radar cruise control, DVD and 10 speaker Bose system with dual speakers mounted in the shoulders of each front seat. Mechanically fine although some burn a little oil, nothing major just a slight top off between services, and the steering rack mount bushes go and aren’t available as replacements, you need a new rack. 5 speed auto is boring but solid and smooth. All aluminium double wishbone front and multi link rear. With the engine so far back and the 4WS, the turn in is wicked and really hides the bulk. I wanted a V8 but couldn’t afford a late model Commodore nor did I want to pay the bills on anything German. This flies under the radar.

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Cheers, thats a really nice one, i looked at a Fuga 450GT too but decided on the Skyline 370GT , really like it so far. Really quick for me and very nice to drive, even though its a bone stock type P. Sadly there were no type SPs available here :(

Where are you? Finding specific models in stock can be a bitch. You may miss the 450Nm this thing has, but I promise you won’t miss the fuel bills.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Here the govt helped fund nationwide FTTH, initially to 75% of the population by 2019 then in 2017 they upped it to 87% by 2022. Rural Broadband outside of those areas is provided by wireless, 4G and now rolling out 5G, but I think there's also more fibre rollouts to beat that 87% number coming too. Govt staked a few billion in interest free loans for wholesale "local fibre companies" (4 of them) to do the build out, and those companies wholesale network access to the retail ISP's. Wholesale pricing is regulated. Currently the standard fibre install is free to the consumer. (Real cost is around NZ$2400 per home)

I should be paying NZ$75/mo for unlimited 900/400. If the fibre ever goes down (it hasn't really, not for more than a few short outages anyway) my house is under 100m away from towers for the 3 mobile networks so can max out 4G, usually get 100mbit on my 6S.

Oh and they've now started rolling out 10gbit FTTH, initially at 2000/2000 and 4000/4000 plans for around NZ$150 and $180 respectively. Things like this and Covid pushing people to WFH has meant outfits like Weta Digital are ditching their compute cluster and moving to AWS or Azure, and digital artists are WFH with cloud cluster rendering.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Im in Finland, not sure how many owners this had in Japan but it had 131k km on the odometer when it came here. I dont really mind it being stock, the options it has are really nice. Got the radar cruise control, Bose system, etc, pretty much the same as your Fuga, just no 4WS and Type P doesnt have an LSD or paddle shifters.

Yeah I cant imagine the difference having that amount of torque but this thing is already crazy fast for me. All my life I've had either a Lada or loaned my dad's 1997 VW Golf.

Interesting, how common is JDM importing over there?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Ferremit posted:

It’s funny the difference in use of language tho- here in Australia if you call someone a c*** your often referring to your mates, but if you call someone mate, you probably consider them to be a c***!

This whole debate I can’t help but think that TISM, as usual, sum things up nicely.

C*** warning obviously.
https://youtu.be/GQO1qZD5lek

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

knox_harrington posted:

I still enjoy shooting but fetishization of guns and "self defence" is super weird.

Yeah. Shooting guns is a good time, but self defence is bullshit, and I’ll never understand why the act of shooting guns for a hobby means you need special tactical pants and vests and poo poo. You don’t need to dress up like a cowboy to ride a horse, nor does one dress like Kiss to play a guitar.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Darchangel posted:

You go too far, sir (or ma'am.)

You don’t need to, but I wouldn’t laugh at you if you did. Unlike Meal Team 6.

I’d say you also don’t need to dress like a mechanic to drive cars, but if you’ve got RX7’s then yeah you probably do :laugh:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
The US isn’t alone there. Here, welfare fraud is estimated to cost NZ$8M per year. Tax evasion is estimated at NZ$1.5B. The team chasing down welfare fraud is easily 10 times the size.

But yeah, for the richest country in the world, you guys got it bad. But at least your army dogs are getting AR goggles!
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54465361

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

meatpimp posted:

And, in that job he sees people exploiting the system, with family members that live in the same apartment getting paid by the government to care for the people in the apartment that need care.

Here, those family care people took the govt to court AND WON. See, if you need full time care, the govt would pay for a professional. Even if you were rich enough to hire a nurse, they’d pay. But they wouldn’t pay for a family member doing the exact same job. So a bunch got together and sued the govt all the way to the High Court and won, from memory it even involved some $150m in back payments.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

everdave posted:

And I’ll just go ahead and say it. I don’t talk politics and I accept and support all people but y’all make it terrifying to be a Christian person who goes to church. Seriously would y’all do that to some car weirdo who is Muslim?

People get down on the church for the same basic reason as people who hate on Muslims - because a few bad eggs make all the noise. I got no problems with any religion except where certain groups twist the various scriptures to suit their agenda. For example, religion has no place dictating what goes on between a woman and her reproductive doctor. If you don’t want an abortion, that’s fine, but don’t you dare get in the way of non-believers seeking medical treatment.

There’s other problems of course like they way money grubbing mega churches prey on their members, with families in poverty subsidising new luxury cars and jewellery for the minister and his wife. Churches should clean up their own house before preaching morals to the rest of us.

If you have faith, that’s fine, good for you and I hope it helps, just remember faith doesn’t trump fact.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

STR posted:

(and need too much attention)

Sounds like a problem for your valet.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Goober Peas posted:

This morning is the beginning of early voting locally. Nice crowd out, about 2 blocks of social distanced line, moving about 1/4 block every 10 - 15 minutes. Historically it's been a 15 minute max affair on day 1. Seeing people excited and present to vote makes me happy.

NZ’s election is this Saturday. Early voting opened 2 weeks ago and has been going very well by the daily reports. In my small suburb of 15k people (including non voting age) there are 4 places I can early vote and 2 more places open up on Election Day. (Traditionally, there’s a polling place at most schools, for idea of coverage). Never in my life have I waited more than a few minutes. You do not need ID to enrol or to vote. You can enrol and vote on Election Day if you need to. You can vote in English or Māori, sign language or telephone dictation. We vote with a ballot paper and tick two boxes with a pen (this year they suggest you bring your own COVID-free pen). One box is voting for your local electorate Member of Parliament, the other is for the Party you want. It’s the Party vote that defines how many parliament seats each party gets. At current polling, it’s likely the incumbent centre left Labour Party will either govern alone, or need the support of the much lefter Green Party to form a government.

Bonus round! We’re also voting in two referendums. One to allow euthanasia for the terminally ill and one to legalise weed. These have been called the refer-end-em and the reefer-endum. Current polling shows the former will probably pass and the latter will be very very close - the no campaign has been incredibly well funded (particularly by funds US groups including Scientology) and spread a bunch of lies. The legislation proposed is world beating and has taken lessons from all the places that have already legalised and tightly controls every step of the process, and includes safeguards against big tobacco/alcohol style massive corporates. 20yo age limit, 14grams max per day, can grow 2 plants for personal use, THC limits, no advertising or even display of product, stores will be required to be non-descript and licensed with strict limits on store numbers. Illegal to smoke in public, only at home or licensed premises. No allowance at first for edibles because of the fear of weed gummy bears appealing to children and dumb poo poo like that. Name me an edible that doesn’t appeal to kids? We gonna have to GM up some weed broccoli or something?

But fingers crossed!

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I forgot the biggest scandal of this election; it was already delayed slightly thanks to COVID, but now we find out that to help prevent transmission, WE DON’T GET “I VOTED” STICKERS GODDAMMIT.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

TheBacon posted:

?

My mail in ballot came with one just like it has for the last couple years

Different country.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

How on earth has Democracy sausages not become more of a thing around the world? gently caress voting without one!

We don’t even have them in NZ, although we do have the Bunnings sausage, and before Bunnings came here we had The Warehouse sausages (our local version of Kmart/Walmart).

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Olympic Mathlete posted:

And the Borat thing is definitely a lot of Americans are too nice and non-confrontational when faced with 'backwards' foreigners which is why the babysitter is such a loving gem in the movie, she was not putting up with his poo poo. The Jewish ladies towards the end too were pure gold.

The cake lady is a great example. Too many people will take away “wow look she wrote the racist message on the cake”, but she was clearly taken aback and not everyone wants to start a fight when you’re just trying to sell cakes.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Krakkles posted:

And, at a very simple level, that's a major factor in how racism and prejudice survive.

"Oh, well, it's not directly affecting me, I don't want to get involved."

Anti-racism should not be controversial. The fact that it is often more controversial than the racism in the first place is insane.

You’re not wrong, and I’d sure tell people asking for that to get the gently caress outta my store, but yeah I don’t begrudge the poor cake woman dealing with some weirdos and a camera crew.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
NZ voted in favour of euthanasia 65.2% vs 33.8% but against legal weed 53.1 vs 46.1. 2020 continues the rampage of suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

slidebite posted:

Actually a little surprised by that. NZ seems to be super liberal from what I know, probably even more so than Canada. Are the young-ish people there just not voting? I don't really understand why anyone cares what someone does in their own home in TYOOL2020.

Euthanasia is an immensely good thing, and I'd argue if only 1 of those things could pass, that should be it.

My brother in law just went through that process here and while there were tremendous checks and balances (and every opportunity to stop the process at any time, right up until the literal last moment), it was fairly simple and they made the process as good as they can.

Pretty good turn out, youth seems to be up but still could be better. The real keys to failure have been an incredibly well funded No campaign lead by fundy “pro family” groups flush with money from US fundy groups including Scientology, the government not putting a lot of effort into explaining the proposition, and the incredibly popular prime minister not wanting to “put her thumb on the scale” by stating her preference pre-election. The No campaign got away with spreading lies and fear, claiming it would allow for things the proposed law specifically addressed eg “a weed shop on every street outside every school just like liquor stores!” When total stores would have been limited to around 400 nationwide compared to around 10,000 liquor stores.

So now we’ve lost the chance for a whole generation, and we’ll keep locking up brown people for something pakeha get away with and organised crime will keep making money and roping teens into harder drugs. Cool.

Edit: euthanasia was a binding referendum, weed was not, so the govt is free to ignore it and progress the legislation anyway, but have said they won’t because they’re pussies.