Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The best thing I can advise for starting VATSIM, is much like starting off as a new flight sim person. Strap into a Cessna, fly from a smaller airport.

Easier to get your feet under you, less stressful too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Even as someone who is a big VATSIM nerd...sometimes I just don't want to deal with it, and it has also definitely changed my flying habits. I rarely fly in Europe because no shot am I going to hear a drat word of some German controller rattling off a clearance. 90% of my flights originate or end in Southern California. So yeah, if this BeyondATC does what it says, I think it has a place.

My only concern is that the premium voices will be crack and it will turn into a giant money pit within a giant money pit.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
they should sell premium voices with celebrities like some gps devices used to

imagine calling to request rnav 26 or whatever and you get your clearance from the rock or aretha franklin

or you're off your assigned altitude and Mr T gets on the radio "I pity the fool that doesn't expedite their descent to FL15"

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

yeah but that would be fun which is not allowed in flight simulation

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

the milk machine posted:

they should sell premium voices with celebrities like some gps devices used to

Harrison Ford coming inn on the radio, saying he's on final

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Xakura posted:

Harrison Ford coming inn on the radio, saying he's on final

lmao

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

George costanza ai voiced pilot talking to female ATC, asking if she has a number for him to call

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Lord Stimperor posted:

George costanza ai voiced pilot talking to female ATC, asking if she has a number for him to call

Tower is getting upset!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

OK, I’m getting really loving annoyed. I’m trying to get back into DCS, and I’m getting random CTDs. How does one even begin to diagnose a complete crash to desktop like this? No error message, it just dumps out.

loving pisses me off.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

OK, I’m getting really loving annoyed. I’m trying to get back into DCS, and I’m getting random CTDs. How does one even begin to diagnose a complete crash to desktop like this? No error message, it just dumps out.

loving pisses me off.

I'd start with a file integrity check (Steam) or Repair DCS World (Standalone) as a starting point. Also, make sure to run the updater if you haven't recently (Standalone). Also, it might be good to delete all the mods you may or may not have installed, just as a final check

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Well I made an account at Vatsim. I remembered the actual reason why I didn't use it earlier: they want to know your drat name and that goes against every internet instinct I have.

I passed their dumb test and hopped onto the network but couldn't find anyone in my area - luckily the local players are very organized and have published a calendar with daily operating hours.

Unfortunately I was immediately banned because they don't believe that "Lord Stimperor" is an actual irl name. Maybe I should photoshop a utility bill or something.

I'll probably sign up again this weekend with a more plausible name. Bentai kindly offered to show me around a bit.

I'm also considering actually using my real name since you can put your irl license in there. I mean participating in what amounts to a club for practicing procedures shouldn't be a stigma when you eventually get doxxed right? But I don't knowz it's just so weird.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Just make up a name, PMDG does that poo poo too on their forums and it's incredibly stupid.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

Well I made an account at Vatsim. I remembered the actual reason why I didn't use it earlier: they want to know your drat name and that goes against every internet instinct I have.

I passed their dumb test and hopped onto the network but couldn't find anyone in my area - luckily the local players are very organized and have published a calendar with daily operating hours.

Unfortunately I was immediately banned because they don't believe that "Lord Stimperor" is an actual irl name. Maybe I should photoshop a utility bill or something.

I'll probably sign up again this weekend with a more plausible name. Bentai kindly offered to show me around a bit.

I'm also considering actually using my real name since you can put your irl license in there. I mean participating in what amounts to a club for practicing procedures shouldn't be a stigma when you eventually get doxxed right? But I don't knowz it's just so weird.

Imagine iracing that publishes your real deal name... Luckily my name is essentially Joe Smith.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

tater_salad posted:

Imagine iracing that publishes your real deal name... Luckily my name is essentially Joe Smith.

Unless you get an account with one of those gift card credit cards.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
This is what I use for finding online ATC: https://simaware.ca/

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Lord Stimperor posted:

Been using my real name on the internet since the late 90s and has never been an issue

edit : oh, except here, this is awkward

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The trick is to always use a fake name that is at least plausibly real. Max Fightmaster is a real person, the possibilities are endless!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Im Art Vandeley, of Vandeley industries

Jack Longdong

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Looks like Brew Barons is out

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-brew-barons-is-a-sumptuous-ghibli-inspired-flight-sim-thats-also-a-brewing-sim-for-some-reason

Not exactly my thing but seems like it might be fun and graphically speaking it looks great

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Played an early beta a couple years ago, I'm stoked it's finally here.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Navigraph can now update the nav data/charts on the TDS GNXi.

You need to have the TDS GNXi Pro which is a $25 upgrade for existing TDS owners.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
If you want to fly X-Plane or MSFS2020 in the Long Afternoon War lore, you can do that with us. There's bunch of new plot missions that will help the war in the DCS-front, too.

mlmp08 posted:

Some flights that need doing from the civil aviation crowd. These flights partially take place in the past just to make timeline work out better, but in any case, they're putting together a team, but need some civil aviators to go collect the expertise. (I don't have MSFS and don't know what DLC people do or don't have, so if you need to go to a nearby airport that's actually simulated or pick a specific plane, go for it).

1. A bunch of suits and some need a ride from Ronald Reagan Washington National airport to Brunswick Executive Airport. Aircraft: Corporate Jet.
2. There is a man fishing at Alturas Lake, Idaho. Go get him, starting from Boise Airport. He's semi-retired, but no one knows old radar systems like this guy. Aircraft: Bush plane or seaplane.
3. Heavy Cargo lift required to transport parts and hazardous materials from Rota, Spain to Bangor, Maine. Aircraft: Bulk cargo.
4. A collection of semi-retirees and a bagman require transport from Miami, FL to Mayport, Florida. Aircraft: Executive prop, corporate jet, or seaplane. Bonus if you make it scenic instead of flying across central Florida.
5. Leonard Glenn Francis requires a ride from Subic Bay to Muara Naval Base in neutral Brunei. He also requires a second leg to Jakarta, after which he can likely attain regular commercial transport. Aircraft: Dealer's choice.

Above task assigned as such:

Here's two examples of plot flights:

Kilonum posted:

Combined flight report of Verónica Castillo (pilot), Jorge Casárez (co-pilot), and Titus Mitchell (flight engineer)

We have the joy to report our mission was successful with no surprises.

The day began before dawn, getting the DC-6 loaded, then the engines started.

Soon enough, we were airborne

We were at cruise altitude before the sun rose, and settled in for the next 8 hours of cruise flight.

By mid-morning, we were crossing the Amazon River near Jorge's hometown of Iquitos

A few hours later, we crossed the Andes

And found ourselves over the Pacific, hugging the Chilean coast

Finally, our destination was in sight

One last S-turn to line up with the runway

And we landed safely

We got the plane parkeed and shut down and went in search of dinner.

Bentai posted:

March 16th, 2010

Hey there Gilbercitos, had a tough one today, both with flying, and with reading comprehension. I was ordered to report to Villa Reynolds, with the note "bring vodka." So after hitting a local fine boozery, I clanked my way to the airport. Once I checked in, a dispatcher slow jogged over to give me my marching orders, 60,000lbs of hawks to be delivered to Comodoro Rivadavia. That was a lot of birds, in fact I would go so far as to say that was too many birds. The Airbus-321 can't carry that kind of load anyway, so I inquired to the dispatcher if this meant I was making multiple trips.

"No, just the one. Did you bring the vodka?"

After I nodded in the affirmative, he signed off on the paperwork, then pointed me towards the ramp. When I stepped outside, I was gobsmacked at what appeared before me, an Antov AN-124. I could not believe I was going to be right-seating on a Condor!

Captain Svyatyy welcomed me aboard, and with a wink, carefully placed my bottle of vodka in a storage bin. As I settled into my seat, I had a stark realization, everything was in Cyrillic. How the hell was I supposed to fly this beast? I remarked to Captain Syvatyy that I only speak Spanish and English, and I don't know my Блять from a hole in the ground.

"A plane is plane is plane. Just like your Airbus, she has two wings, four engines, and 24 wheels. The instruments provide the same information, right? So don't worry much you'll be fine."

Don't worry much. Anyway, let's sign off on this thing and hit the skies!

The airframe complained loudly at us as we held the brakes while the engines spooled up to maximum thrust, obviously signaling how upset she was at not being able to start the roll. Once we hit 100%, we let the brakes go and she practically leapt forward, a feeling I did not expect from such a heavily loaded aircraft. After that leap though, watching the speed ticker agonizingly crawl to V1 made me "worry much." Sure, we had 2300m of runway to work with, but the Condor really felt like she was going to use every centimeter of it to just get her nosewheels off the ground. With a couple hundred meters to spare, I called Vr rotate, and she started a slow climb into the air.

This is a totally normal attitude to be holding at Flight Level 2-3-0.

"Yeah but look sick!"

Before I knew it, we approached the shores of Comodoro Rivadavia, and my time with Condor was coming to an end, but not without a fight. Even with throttles at idle, she seemed to make just enough thrust to keep climbing. Very strange bird, but with a bit of that Pilot poo poo and copious speed brakes, I was able to wrestle her into a long and high final.

Those were the last shots I was able to take, as the battery on my phone died during rollout.

((The AN-124 is all kinds of busted, but 60,000kg of A-4's have been delivered.))

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Rot posted:

Looks like Brew Barons is out

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-brew-barons-is-a-sumptuous-ghibli-inspired-flight-sim-thats-also-a-brewing-sim-for-some-reason

Not exactly my thing but seems like it might be fun and graphically speaking it looks great

Hell yes, I've been looking forward to this one since the demo came out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Steam says it is similar to Jedi Survivor

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Cojawfee posted:

Steam says it is similar to Jedi Survivor
:hmmyes:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I played the poo poo out of the demo and loved the ambiance. Can't wait to try the full game!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'm only a few minutes in (replaying the demo content, more or less), and the game is just as charming as I remember! The most noticable change is the new "one take and you're golden" voice acting, which is more Capcom than Studio Ghibli.

I remember the demo had an annoying autotrim that would immediately disengage (and reset all trims) if I made a gentle movement on my stick or thumbstick, so it was basically useless. I'm being lazy tonight and using the mouse, but I'll try to enjoy my stupid expensive toy tomorrow.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Me: Ahh, a nice lazy Saturday. I think I'll do a quick 90 min sector in the PMDG
MSFS: lol no you won't *slowly excretes 10GB of updates at 4MBit/s*

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Let me preface with I don't need to do either of these things. That being said, I'll probably do both eventually by the end of the year.

Should I upgrade my CH Pedals to MFG Crosswinds?

Or

Purchase the necessary parts to convert my VKB STECS Mini to a STECS Standard along with the conversion kit to upgrade my Gunfighter 2 to a Gunfighter 4?

I'm leaning towards the MFG Crosswinds as I feel that would be a bigger/more noticeable upgrade than the STECS/Gunfighter conversions.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 3, 2024

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Do you fly helis?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Bedurndurn posted:

Do you fly helis?

Affirmative. Mostly DCS and a little in XP/MSFS

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Yeah I'd go for the rudder upgrade first then. I don't have them myself, but people seem to think the crosswinds are real neat.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Shine posted:

I'm only a few minutes in (replaying the demo content, more or less), and the game is just as charming as I remember! The most noticable change is the new "one take and you're golden" voice acting, which is more Capcom than Studio Ghibli.

I remember the demo had an annoying autotrim that would immediately disengage (and reset all trims) if I made a gentle movement on my stick or thumbstick, so it was basically useless. I'm being lazy tonight and using the mouse, but I'll try to enjoy my stupid expensive toy tomorrow.

They're using AI voices.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

They're using AI voices.
Goddammit. Submitted a refund. I was looking forward to the game so much. :smith:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is that seriously a deal-breaker for you?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
I think that's a perfectly valid reason

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, this just went from "maybe" to "never." Indie developers need to understand that having a small team/budget is not a valid excuse for using AI. If you can't afford voice actors, then have no voices. Using AI voices is horseshit.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Sagebrush posted:

Is that seriously a deal-breaker for you?
If they can't afford to pay voice actors, then I can't afford to buy their game. They could have done the old "bloop bloop beep" poo poo that was done for years in console games, it would have been fine.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I don't know the game, but do they play fixed voice lines or are they supposed to dynamically respond to input? Because having NPCs like ATC who can dynamically respond to what the player is saying (-> BeyondATC) is clear added value that is a completely justified use case for AI imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
As far as I can tell it's for pre-written dialogue.