Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

skooma512 posted:

Did they even want to fly the planes?

The consensus was "no".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Stingwing posted:

Don't feel bad, I fell for the deluxe version too :frogdunce:

I'm in San Francisco. I bought the top tier. What would you have me do ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Speaking of FS2020, looks like the USA world update just dropped along with 1.11.6.0. Photogrammetry loading optimized, autogen buildings and bridges improved, miscellaneous bugfixes. I see a lot of airports being patched - 48 according to a splash screen. Elevation data updated, 1m resolution in some places. New discovery flight - East Coast USA. 4 new bespoke airports (Atlanta, New York Stewart, Dallas/Fort Worth, Friday Harbor). 50 new POIs, looks like Washington DC got a makeover.

Tiny Steam update, 12.75 MB updater download with a lot of small files patched. 4.24 GB from the marketplace for the USA update.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Weird, it's 252MB here.

It's showing that way for me now. Display glitch I guess.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

londonmoose posted:

From the last thread, I’ve been using SmoothTrack as a super effective lower cost alternative to a full TrackIR setup (assuming you already have a compatible smart phone). It really makes such a difference.

This is true, SmoothTrack plus opentrack works a treat in FS2020, and is only $5 between them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Here's something for the bush pilots. IL-2 just added more detail ground terrain mostly to benefit the tank gameplay. It looks like grass field landings are going to get more difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avz3Bdba2KQ

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

CTD on activating VR from menu or sim. Bah.

Because it was my first time up since I got the new 34" monitor, I went up over Tucson to check out the airplane graveyard, which is suitably impressive. I managed a really nice landing too, so other than VR not working it was... 17 minutes of air time for 90 minutes troubleshooting.

Thread title still checks out.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently if you're using SteamVR, you're supposed to start SteamVR first before the game. There seems to be an issue where it drops frames. Sure seemed like it when I exited the game and dropped into SteamVR void, which had the same judder.

Then this setting apparently also has an effect:

I'll try that.

I did get VR to start finally. It did not look good, and turning my head left me looking at the SteamVR Theater for a half second before the landscape fills in.

So I fired up IL-2 and flew a U-2 night bomber mission. When the AA tracers start to come up and the searchlights have you, that's one hell of an immersive experience in VR.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Oh, for that as a POI...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Oh hey, VR is suddenly working.

loving cool !

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

I did not have the experienec that VR gave me a great edge on other players in sim battles or IL2. In order to ID a plane as an enemy I had to get really close. As a result, the only strategy that I could pull off in VR was to either sneak onto other planes (and hope that no one notices) or look for dogfights that are going on already.

That's exactly what the top-scoring aces did, so don't feel bad !

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

lobsterminator posted:

You have also been able to make XPlane look pretty nice with the huge free photo textures. But the real game changer for me with MSFS has been the clouds. For the first time in simming I actually look forward to flying into clouds because there are often really cool formations and pillars and what have you.

I just did a WW2 nostalgia flight in New Guinea from Kokoda to Port Moresby over the Owen Stanley Mountains. The cloud level was about 500 feet below ridge line level with some open patches that looked amazing. My hat's off to the poor bastards who had to fight their way over that route on foot.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Check the Content Manager, you may have a few dozen items to update - some of the World Updates scenery for example.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Putting Simcopter radio stations while playing other flight sims is a whole mood.

....gently caress I need to do that with neofly going.

Would live streams from just about every radio station globally be your jam ?

http://radio.garden/visit/orleans/fyjKuWJ9

bonus link:

drive-thrus of major cities with radio and street noise. I like this one for backgrounding during boring meetings.

https://driveandlisten.herokuapp.com/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

It's been a long time since I was happy I gave Microsoft my money. Air racing sounds great, I did a few laps in a P-51 with AirGoons a couple of months ago and that was a ton of fun even if I ended up DNF twice.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Scruff McGruff posted:

I'm late to the old sim memories chat but I played Dynamix's Aces of the Pacific non-stop as a kid and I'm sad that there's really no current sims that can replace the campaign mode of it. The closest is Il-2: Great Battles but I want to shoot down Saburo Sakai in my F4U over the Pacific dammit!

IL-2:1946 still has a mod scene, and you can absolutely shoot down Sabura Sakai in an F4U in it. Or, you can try anyway. It's on both GOG and Steam for about ten bucks.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Hell, I think you can race P-51s in DCS for free.

Air Goons have in fact done this.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

A bunch of tiny files compounded with the fact that Windows sucks rear end at transferring small files. I have an email from customer support that has two commands to put into powershell if downloading flight sim starts failing. One is for if small files fail, one is for if big files fail. It's insane that such a workaround is needed when literally every other game platform has solved downloading games.

It's brutal. Every time you copy a file you have to:

Create a new file at the destination
Open and lock it for writing
Write data
Unlock and close the file

Of those three things, only the "write data" step depends on how big the file is, the three fixed time steps add up very quickly. Other operating systems suffer from the same basic issue, but NTFS is particularly bad at dealing with it.

And let's see that email ! tyvm

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Opentrack and a head tracking app on my phone cost me $5 and works well enough I can look back as far as I can still see the monitor. Real TrackIR might be better, but this is good enough for me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Gewehr 43 posted:

As a career-long IT professional, truer words have never been written.

I would have agreed with that before I started supporting instrument control systems in labs. They may be able to make a mass spectrometer sing and dance, but the run gets interrupted if the screen locks.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Facetracking tip: make sure you're on a USB 3.0 port or better.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

slidebite posted:

Considering they are saying it is powered by the "significantly evolved Asobo engine" I wouldn't be so sure.

I personally haven't bought payware add-ons, so my investment in 2020 is basically the cost of the game plus hardware controllers which will almost certainly work fine with the new game.

If it becomes a cool water-bomber sim, and maybe some sort of quasi economy for other flight modes, hell I'm all in. :cool:

The water bombing part will be a ton of fun I'm sure. Hell, more things to do in a flight sim are always welcome. I do suspect that the "significantly evolved Asobo engine" is just all the updates FS202 has had since launch. I don't see them forking the engine and having developers spend years on a new branch for FS2024 while having others work on FS2020. If the code is modular enough, they might fork some components though.

Vahakyla posted:

I think four years between paying 60 bux for a sim update is a very fair deal as long as Asobo delivers a quality product.

Given the amount of content shown for FS2024, another $60 seems reasonable to me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

So apparently this is happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngrDcpL94nM

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Where the gently caress is my beta key?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Shine posted:

I remember the demo had an annoying autotrim that would immediately disengage (and reset all trims) if I made a gentle movement on my stick or thumbstick, so it was basically useless. I'm being lazy tonight and using the mouse, but I'll try to enjoy my stupid expensive toy tomorrow.

They put out a hotfix that supposedly fixes the controller issues. I'll check that out later today.