Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Installing ground floor mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Spent nearly two hours in VR tonight flying from my local field to SFO in a 18m Ventus, what a delight.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1025579371

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

The solution to ATC errors is to never use the ATC.

It’s gently caress-awful and embarrassing, and talking to yourself is legitimately more immersive than the stock ATC.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

slidebite posted:

Here you go guys, have fun for about 30 seconds before you blow your brains out

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_v4.0_1989

How is that different from any other flight sim?

e:
Flight Sim Megathread: fun for about 30 seconds before you blow your brains out

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Nobody really enjoys flight sims Bob.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Aero737 posted:

I believe one of the flight sims has an EULA that specifically prohibits having fun.

:thejoke:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Has anyone tried this Subsonex JSX-2? Looks like a pretty fun personal jet. It's from a newbie addon developer, but it seemed alright in the video I saw on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vhfNvQM2mw

yeah it flies real nice, the sounds are kind of underwhelming and if you want something that is M A X I M U M R E A L I S M of startup to shutdown look elsewhere, but if you want something to just bomb around VFR in it's an absolute blast

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I haven't seen anyone mention them it, but while they're waiting out chip shortages and getting the tooling in order for the Charlie Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb's been designing a new HOTAS set.

Sigma Tau

$120 for the stick (Q1 2022 supposedly), $300 for the two together (Q2 2022). Looks pretty good. Would've liked at least $50 knocked off the combo price.

This is different from the other HOTAS set they've been working on, the Tango Foxtrot. That one is still in the works, apparently. They showcased it during a recent event, along with their Lima chair, which... just looks like a typical gaming chair but with built-in peripheral mounts? I think this is going to be a higher-end set compared to the Sigma Tau. There looks to be more movey bits on it.

omg I want all of this :eyepop:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

You can remove the stick and then stow the whole thing in your flight kit

I need to put flight sim on my win3 so I can fly while I fly

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
it’d be lol to race the flight I was flying

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

kemikalkadet posted:

Also NOTAMs in the game and radar/flight following giving you notice of them, things like planned drone activity, temporary restricted zones etc.

This is one of the spergiest things I’ve ever read.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
In real life you only file a flight plan so ATC knows what you’re doing so they can coordinate you with other traffic. That doesn’t exist in sims so just do whatever your heart desires.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sagebrush posted:

Someone brought it up in here before, but I think it would be a lot of fun to do some good old fashioned goonswarming on VATSIM with like 50 of us all flying 152s VFR asking for the same transition through whatever big bravo airport they've got running, one after another. It's perfectly legal! You have to provide the services if your workload permits it!!

Someone was doing it at Teterboro too iirc

oh man I am in for this

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
It’s good fun to fly too

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’ve flown everything from 172s to wide bodies IRL, everything feels about right in VR.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BMan posted:

I mean, have you seen Sniper Elite

Shooting Hitler in the balls will never not be a video gaming highlight. :sickos:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
NTSB Simulator 2022 :spergin:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

GreatGreen posted:

lol

Also, can this forum get a goddamn "Haha" button for posts already so I can let people know their poo poo is funny without having to clog up threads with full "haha" posts please?

haha

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

I love VR so much and I wouldn't give it up for anything now that I've experienced it.

This.

As much as track ir costs and how finicky it is, an oculus quest is essentially the same price and orders of magnitude better.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

It's funny because powered trim on the yoke is a really nice feature to have IRL, and for sim use (because the trimming is terrible in sims in general) it's the other way around.

trimming is actually fine in sims, it’s the lack of g forces that make it suck

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Pioneer42 posted:

Is this a pro or a con?

Yes

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I just want the visuals of FS2020 with the flight model and VR support of x-plane

e: all it takes is one flight in a tail dragger to see the FSX underpinnings plain as day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

Touchdown in the sim is always a fun time when you get to discover what random direction the wind model and ground interface model is going to shoot you this time.

To be fair even level D sims are like this to some extent