Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

How do you deal with the cockpit buttons and toggles in VR? Do you use the mouse somehow, or are there other input methods? I have an X56 and I can’t imagine fumbling for the knobs and toggles without seeing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

What's a good source for FS2020 news? Google search gives me mostly lovely SEO sites, and Avsim sucks.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks! I’m looking for dev progress mostly on new airframes, that fits the bill.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

the modders are keeping up with current events

Loving it

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

The one where you land a King Air on a glorified helipad in the middle of the ocean is pretty nuts as well

From that description I’m gonna guess it’s probably Saba TNCS?

Speaking of lovely airports in the middle of nowhere, is St. Helena FHSH in the game?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Trimming should allow you to essentially make the plane not pitch/roll by itself and fly where you want to without having to correct with steering. It shouldn’t be hard (as in, in normal flight, it should be tap tap tap,there, trimmed), so maybe something’s off, unless you’re attempting crabbing in 60kt gale.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The non-linear curve is a thing that has existed in MSFS since launch. I've been annoyed by it this whole time.

It makes sense for the HDG and ALT bugs, especially if you use a mouse. Sadly, the trim implementation of the non-linear curve should be more nuanced and better adapted.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

7lip posted:

Okay the Halo ship is really growing on me, mostly because of it's easily toggled hover mode I find great for sightseeing.

With a HOTAS and rudders (or even twist stick) it really feels like you're piloting a mech or something when in hover mode, which is also just a fun change of pace :)

Had a lot of fun the other day using only the camera on the cockpit display to land on various things in London.

Mods!?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’ve been taking some flights in a full, non-certified Airbus 320 cockpit running P3D. Coming from 30 years of PC flight simming, it’s crazy how the different stimuli kick you in the brain after an hour or so, even if you know exactly where what should be. I know where the flap lever is but having to actually reach for it while doing something else is surprisingly challenging, or when on touchdown poo poo starts to beep and bop and you overthink how pedals work or maybe I should use the tiller aaah gently caress.

+1, recommend.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

I was having a nice afternoon flight over the sedona desert and my DC-3 just shut down on me.
Did the auto repair/fuel command, but it didn’t help.

Is that the similation throwing a problem at me on purpose?

I dunno, i’m a newb that only knows the basics.

Did you put it down nice and tidy?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Isn’t this information a part of the metar for any runway with snow on it?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Zero One posted:

Typically that's on the ATIS. And those are only at towered airports. And to make it more difficult, only a few major American airports have digital versions of their ATIS publicly available.

Edit: https://datis.clowd.io/ if you want them for simulation use.

You’re right of course, mixed my METAR with my ATIS. I remember the snow reporting component was fairly robust, but if its availability is so poor, then making an automated system to interpret this data into the game world would be a waste of time.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I found the presets available in the FBW EFB work really well and allow you to hop from cold and dark to powered to engine start without going full hog on start up procedure, but still maintaining a feeling of doing something more than ctrl-e

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’m not into helicopters that much but I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was with assists to hover and do semi-precise movements across the helipad. Most chopper sims I tried before would be super fidgety on that first flight stage.

Then I tried flying somewhere afield and couldn’t get the heli to move forward unless I pointed the nose almost straight down, not to mention being unable to turn, so I guess those controls they set you up with need work.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I took another flight yesterday in a full-sized A320 sim with a real pilot in the co-pilot seat. The place I go to usually does flights for people who receive them as gifts, so the staff is happy to have someone with some sim experience. I already went there a few times and despite the fact it's not a full motion sim, it's a crazy readjustment to do all the things you're used to not on a screen.

Yesterday the plan was more ambitious - instead of flying A to B, we did an evaluation flight based on the procedure used by Wizz Air to test candidates. Took off from Gatwick in the dark, 400ft visibility, no FD or AP allowed. After take off, you're required to keep the nose at a specific angle, while maintaining a specified VS, then doing the after take-of attack angle reduction. This is horrible, as my brain was still adjusting to the cabin and instruments, and you have to do the throttle/joystick/PFD/cockpit cleanup plus controlling your vectors.

Next step is stabilized flight at 5000 ft and 320 kt, tolerance of +/-200 ft (busted almost immediately but by a few feet; later on as I got more tired, maintaining alt was super difficult during the maneuvers). Next step is controlled ascent, +1000 vs, controlled descent -1000 ft, then standard left and right turns, where you have to keep the plane at a 25 degree angle (I think, the degree values became hazy since there was so much number involved later on) , stopping the nose from dropping and maintaining speed which keeps dropping due to drag. The Airbus system does a fair bit of heavy lifting here by correcting the pitch angle, which it doesn't on the next exercise - an orbit at a 45 degree bank angle. I found this the most difficult thing of the day, because the amount of different vectors you have to work on is both confusing and overloading.

This concluded the evaluation part, and the instructor suggested we practice manual holds. I rarely use holds when simming at home, not to mention doing them by hand. Yesterday I had to do the whole thing by hand, using a chrono and practicing different ways of entering the hold from different angles, including a parallel and teardrop entry. Adding and subtracting angles while your maintaining level flight is something else. Finally went back to Gatwick and shot a basic CAT I ILS barely above minima. 2.5 hours flight time. After walking out of the sim, I felt I've used parts of my brain I probably did not have or never used before, because I found walking straight kinda difficult for the first 20 minutes.

If you've simmed but you've never done any real flying or certifications, I really recommend shelling out a bit of cash for an hour-long flight in a full sim. It's something else. I'm not looking to become a pilot or anything, but having a dude tell you all the real procedure and being able to physically plop the no smoking sign (and flying, that part is cool too) is amazing.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Absolutely no autothrottle or any AP for 2.5 hrs straight. Definitely my record!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

This is in Warsaw, Poland, and it's around 90 EUR/h. After a few times with them, I have a 30% discount.

Since it's a lot to take in, 30 minutes is fine and an hour is PLENTY. It's a very different cognitive load than on a home sim.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

skooma512 posted:

All the switches and stations make it feel like a spacecraft, and it probably handles like the Space Shuttle would if it had wings and propulsion.

I mean… it was built to carry the soviet space shuttle Buran so it checks out

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Also Flight Simulator Dune where you can fly over Arrakis in an Ornitophter. Looks amazing, but then I loved Villeneuve’s adaptation so far.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

All things considered, whatever way they’ll go, this seems like a lovely way of introducing everyone to FS24

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

All these new things are showing a lot of character models and animations. It would be awesome to have realistic people movement on the tarmac and inside the airplane. It’s crazy what hacks plane and add-on devs had to use to animate basic movements.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

This is impressive stuff from an indie studio, to the point where I’m thinking they’re adapting a ready flight sim game engine. It seems oddly familiar, like Il2 CoD or something.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

In the twilight days of FSX, there was a mod that came closest to realizing a proper ATC dream. The difference from all the timetable/fligthplan traffic and atc packages was it threw out all the AI airplanes and inserted it’s own, then used slew to move them around on SID and STARS and doing it with speed and efficiency.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Is there a study level or serious bizjet out there for FS2020? Thinking Citations, Gulfstreams, etc.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Great video form BeyondATC, showing under the hood how their engine mirrors the in-game world and handles pathing around LAX. Exciting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Z9Gq6Gx80

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

There was a banner-towing airplane in the GTA VI trailer and you can drive pretty much anything in these games, just wait two years

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

PT6A posted:

I bought it just for the L-39 and I am satisfied with my purchase, that poo poo's fun as gently caress to fly.

If I ever get VR, I’ll probably fly exclusively in the L-39.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I mean yeah, that’s the flight sim experience for the past 30 years so all good?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Man I can’t stop thinking about Beyond ATC. If it turns out the way they claim - and what I’ve seen so far seems to confirm it, this would be what I’m after since late FS 2004. Specifically, their approach of taking out AI completely and handling in an external sim is a winning idea that will finally make real world EGLL/KJFK busy airspace viable in-game.

Haven’t really played that much in the last 2 years for whatever reason but this poo poo will pull me right back in.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’m pretty sure SABA was hand-crafted in the initial FS2020 release. I’m guessing the terrain around might have gotten a boost.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Vatsim has limited coverage, it's also more popular and active in some regions. For me it hasn't been an option for the past 20 years and that's not going to change. Beyond ATC, on the other hand, does a lot of things I wanted FS ATC add-ons to do.

Regarding the voices, for the base price you get 150 voices with unlimited usage. They sound perfectly fine out of the box. You then get lower and higher tier paid voices, which can sound amazing. You can mix and match these and either have the free voices on all coms, or only use the super premium voices for your ATC and all AI traffic and its ATC on the free tier.

This video gives great examples of the audio samples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odapc-HMNBk&t=81s

Aside from that, Beyond also manages all AI traffic itself in an external simulation, which then is injected into FS. This is a huge game changer and will give much more control to the devs, making proper large airport simulations viable.

It won't be as good as the paid ATC services where you have real ATCs - I think inaccuracies will be rife. Vatsim will still shine for the community aspect and fly-in events. For others though, this is fantastic. A video of another AI ATC client, say intentions, which is aimed at VFR, showed some great potential in another video I saw, where a controller is asking the pilot for his flight route and the pilot uses freeform sentences to explain he's going to fly down the Hudson, which the VFR controller then monitors. In another clip, the pilot asks to switch to a start from another intersection and this is dynamically digested by the AI ATC and correctly addressed. I think these somewhat more free-form conversation will result in some great moments, as will the inevitable AI confusion.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Wow look at the germans go

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Same, the atc is great but honestly after many years I have so many add ons that do ore-files atc really well. The traffic injection stuff, that’s great. I remember in the waning days of FSX a solo dev started tinkering in that direction but stopped after a proof of concept.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Kalman posted:

You can definitely jam ILS, it’s just a modulated radio signal.

You can also park a truck next to it, enough metal will interfere with the beam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The main developer said in the recent interview that the platform and the way it works with AI is not really suitable for VFR and he pointed to SayIntentions as the preferred solution if that’s what you’re after. These two platform use AI in different ways - BeyondATC uses AI to fill ins standard phraseology templates, while say intentions is more like an LLM, since for VFR there’s much less interaction with the sim systems required.