Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Give me a DC-3

Kilonum posted:

Give me a Lockheed Constellation

Just give me any steam gauge planes. Glass cockpits are the tool of the devil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

And then the devs bring up how they spent a bunch of time modeling how tires actually behave, and they hired an actual professional driver who has driven most of these cars in real life and he says it's good.

Every payware plane always says it was tested and proven accurate by a real pilot experienced with said plane. You can have two version of the same plane that feel really different but both were testified as being accurate by a real pilot.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

jammyozzy posted:

At my destination it took 3 passes of the field and cross-checking with Google maps to actually identify the runway

I've done this and in the end it turned out I missed it but where I landed was better than the actual field.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

skooma512 posted:

I followed the recommended curve in the AS350 manual or Chuck's Guides, but yeah I bet I just need to tune the stick some more. I am overcorrecting even with small, more controlled movements than I ever fly fixed wing with already, so that makes sense.

To make helicopters truly enjoyable in sims you'd probably need something like this to get the sensitivity required. Hovering requires such subtle controls.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

From the OSHA thread.

https://v.redd.it/jjztsjkkrj661/DASH_480.mp4

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Does anyone know what the name for the key binding for heading sync is? Meaning when you set the AP heading to your current heading by pressing the knob shown below.

There's a "set heading bug" setting but that only sets the bug to zero degrees.

EDIT: I guess it's broken:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/bind-sync-heading-bug-to-joystick-button/248769

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lobsterminator fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 29, 2020

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

i am kiss u now posted:

LOL if anyone can go back to 2D from VR even if performance is horrendous.

I'm sure my simming would change a lot if I got VR.

My normal flight now:
1) Take off
2) Put autopilot on
3) Tab out and watch youtube and browse the web
4) Look at sights in the sim every now and then
5) Land

With VR the sim would get full attention and autopilot would be out of the question because it would be boring to just look at the VR cockpit without doing the actual flying.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Mr E posted:

I've been getting into Elite & IL-2 recently, and have found that the very cheap HOTAS X I've had for years isn't going to cut it much longer. So, after some research I think the VKB Gladiator NXT is probably my best option. It looks like they're also coming out with a throttle "soon". So, my question, for someone that is going to be playing at least a few times a week is a set of rudder pedals worthwhile, or will the joystick twist be a fine substitute besides realism?

Joystick twist is the worst possible way to control rudder. You need to be able to keep the rudder in a position while simultaneously move the stick and that is near impossible by twisting. I use a thumb knob in my throttle to control rudder.

I don't have pedals myself but they are strongly recommended if you are serious enough about flying.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

slidebite posted:

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but the Vimy Ridge memorial in France looks like a Soviet era apartment block and the park looks like a roman amphitheatre.

:saddowns:

And those surrounding squares make it look like an unbuilt residential grid from Cities: Skylines.

I checked both Bing and Google maps and neither have anything like those weird stripey squares. Bing maps doesn't even have that circular park nearby.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

uvar posted:

Unsurprisingly, there are a lot of cemeteries and memorials in that area. The one in your screenshot is Notre Dame de Lorette/Ablain St.-Nazaire French Military Cemetery; the "weird stripey squares" are full of headstones little crosses. The Canadian Vimy Ridge memorial is about 5km south-east, you might have flown over it without realising because without checking for myself I assume it also looks like a random tower block in a field. Still, isn't France the next target after Asobo releases Perfidious Albion?

This appears to be the correct answer. There's the "amphitheatre" next to it also.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

What do you need the numpad for in flight sims? I don't remember ever touching the numpad in MSFS or IL-2 or anything.

Only time I use the numpad is if I need to walk diagonally when playing an old Sierra adventure.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I stand corrected. I'm not into modern fighters!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Squiggle posted:

As I reinstall this thing again after a rebuild, another bitch: please let Steam deliver this entire package, instead of these disgustingly slow servers that are serving the 150gb in post-install content. Also don't list the download speed in Mbits.

EDIT: Ahhh...but, after all is said and done, I just completed a beautiful flight from Lebanon, NH to Burlington, VT at sunset, without a single hitch. When it works...man. Honestly, thanks for the reinstall Windows suggestion. It's a heavy fix, but it seems to have worked.

The MSFS servers are fast. Large files download as fast as Steam for me with a gigabit internet. The problem with MSFS download is, again, the millions of small files it downloads! Instead of downloading a few huge packages it has to negotiate the connection for all the small downloads.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

kalleth posted:

Here's the final leg of my CJ4 delivery flight :) The galaxy tab runs Navigraph perfectly.

Pay for Navigraph, download and run the Navigraph Charts app on your PC once, so you get the simlink stuff set up in the background, then you can close it.

Then just download and sign in to the Navigraph android app, and you're gravy. Push the little arrow top right (>) to show your position on the map or the chart :)

[edit: also, gently caress, i'm off course]

Most important device is that desktop fan. Makes you feel like you're really flying.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Akion posted:

I would pay a lot of dollars for a remake of Sim Copter on MSFS, especially if it reworked a few cities to super-high fidelity for proper missions and stuff.

GTA V style small but super detailed map for a heli sim would be awesome.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

Has MS Flight Sim gotten any more stable on bad hardware over the past six months? I had a lot of fun with it on release, but I had to give it up because of near-constant CTDs when flying over anything resembling a city. I'm on a Ryzen 5 2600 with a 580, if that matters.

I have and old i7 and a 580 and 16GB RAM, and it's been fine for me since the start. Fine meaning flight simulator level of "fine" i.e. 20-40 fps depending on the situation.

Well it was fine when I had a 1080p monitor. I upgraded to a 1440p earlier this year and now it's struggling :(

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

That's a pretty impressive pillow to cat size ratio.

Also, awesome setup. I wish I had room to even consider something like this.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

All network connections use MBits or higher magnitudes. If your cable/DSL line is 100MBit and MSFS says it's downloading at 20, you know how unsaturated your line is.

Yeah I'd actually like Steam to show Mbit instead of MB per sec. In MSFS's case the problem is more with the number of small files. When the MSFS updater downloads larger files it rises to 200+ Mbit/s but it spends most of its time negotiation the connection and it's really annoying. You'd think it was possible for them to do some sort of packaged larger downloads that are extracted on the client. Kinda like almost every other product that updates over the internet.

E: It seems you can change the Steam units now that I looked at the settings. Also it seems MSFS downloads are capped at 256MBit/s. Which is fine.

lobsterminator fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 18, 2021

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

2Jets posted:

Ive had the logitech X52 for a long time. I dont recommend it. The tiny joystick and button that control the mouse pointer died first, the button stopped working and the mouse constantly drifts to the right and has to be disabled in windows settings. 1 of the throttle buttons works half the time.

I also have an X52 and it's fine for me, but would not get one again. The mouse-joystick is totally useless. It's so hard to use that it would have been better to just add one more directional hat.

I'd love to get an X56 some day, but even if they were available it would be hard to justify the cost because I sim so casually and seldom :(

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Man, Novalogic really just disintegrated after Joint Ops. I don't get it.

They have an office on the edge of Los Angeles and I kinda want to go there and knock on the door Michael Moore style and see if it's just the owner in the abandoned studio sitting on a throne of Pentium 4 computers, or maybe a drug lab.

Also smart decision by the courts. Media has tremendous propaganda value.

They should have also made Delta Force Xtreme Beach Volleyball. That could have saved them.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

sum posted:

Is OnAir significantly better than NeoFly? NeoFly's adequate for what I really want out of a career mod, i.e. get me to fly routes I probably never would otherwise, but I can't say it's got me actually hooked on the progression a la Truck Simulator.

I'm using NeoFly again now. I tried it last year and got into it again recently.

In theory the proper online career mods like FSE and OnAir would be cooler because you can have your own Goon airline etc, but the online mods are also full of people who will do anything to kill all the fun from them. The most vocal people in those communities are the ones who demand a grueling unentertaining grind.

NeoFly has the online system now but I have no idea if it's good and you need to host your own server. A goon server might be fun if someone could set one up.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Several years ago when I was most active in simming I often thought about how to do a fun career system. And I still think about it sometimes. A couple of my main principles:

- Have large community goals i.e. "there's a weirdo convention happening in las vegas, everyone fly weirdos from around the globe there"

- Focus on fun. The most important goal for a career mod is to give purpose to your flights.

- Minimize grind. These mods often try to make you proceed from GA to tubeliners, but in my mind they are totally different groups. I love GA and prop planes. I still haven't even loaded up a jet plane in MSFS after a year. So you should be able to focus on what you like and progress within that area.

- Absolutely no public top lists. This is what makes people go mad if you feel like some mechanism is exploitable and someone else took your top spot. Only private groups except in regrads to those global community goals where everyone would have to haul lots of stuff. But even then the goal is shared and not competition.

Civilian flight sim is a casual relaxation tool like truck sim so you don't need to make it blood-thirsty competition.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

MrYenko posted:

I was an MSFS alpha tester, and the Xbox Store Alpha to MS store thing was so loving painful.

How do you sign up for the continuing betas? Just opt in on steam?

I'm not totally certain but I think it's only for one beta at a time. You select it from the game properties, but you don't automatically opt-in to the next one. At least that's how I remember it from other games.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

HORMELCHILI posted:

Looking for a third party mission/career mode type thing for flight simulator 2020. I remember hearing about a few of these, any idea what the best offerings are right now?
I'm looking for it to give me reasons to take flights around places I normally wouldn't think to and a sense of progression in terms of building up towards better planes.

FSEconomy: Old and janky. I used this with GoonAir years ago, but have not tried it with MSFS.
https://www.fseconomy.net/

OnAir: Ok, but paid subscription.
https://www.onair.company/

NeoFly: IMO now the most fun option. Downside is that it's singleplayer only. Has fun varied mission types, not just hauling cargo. Neofly advertises that it has multiplayer, but it only means flying missions together, you can't have your own airlines etc like you can with the first two.
https://www.neofly.net/

lobsterminator fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 22, 2021

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Here I am with RX 580 OC 4GB and i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz and been able to fly with a decent frame rate. I haven't even loaded a jet plane yet so maybe those are super heavy.

This does sound like great news and hopefully I can increase my settings a bit.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

This guy basically had MSFS2020, 12 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox63gPujdS8

You have also been able to make XPlane look pretty nice with the huge free photo textures. But the real game changer for me with MSFS has been the clouds. For the first time in simming I actually look forward to flying into clouds because there are often really cool formations and pillars and what have you.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Flight Simulator II on my Commodore 64 never became unplayable due to server outages.

It was always unplayable due to low frame rate.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

kalleth posted:

Anyone got any experience using "The Skypark" (https://orbxdirect.com/product/p42-the-skypark) as a "career mode" / purpose-giver? It's only £23 and i'm considering buying it to force me out of my comfortable EGLL -> EHAM a32nx rut :)

Have you tried NeoFly already? I would not buy that before trying the free ones first. Also, I don't trust :spergin: companies to make fun career modes.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

kalleth posted:

This made it sound like exactly what i'm looking for, so i took the plunge.

@lobsterminator -- I did try NeoFly, and it was uh, certainly an experience. I wasn't a *huge* fan, must be said.

Ok, please share your experiences with Skypark when you get into it. I found NeoFly pretty painless but I was used to FSEconomy which is on a whole 'nother level of pain... It's nice that there are lots of career mode addons available.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

fuckpot posted:

The skinny of it is that a majority of the workload will now be handled by the GPU rather than choking up a single CPU thread.

Ugh. Dreading to test this out. I have an RX 580 and it's been playable with lowish settings, but I'm not sure my GPU can handle any more load...

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

The main menu hammers the GPU because it runs at 600 frames per second. Turn on the performance overlay and take a look.

This is annoyingly common in games. You'd think the devs would notice pretty fast when your GPU starts making tons of noise every time you're in the menu.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Bedurndurn posted:

Since this is now on the actual xbox, did they ever fix the rudders being complete poo poo on the triggers?

I tried to use an Xbox controller to fly at some point, but it was horrible, and yeah the rudders were the worst part. I wish the controller control was better so it would be more fun to fly without setting up the HOTAS.

And apparently most of the devs use controllers so I don't understand why it sucks so much.

E: For me, I think I'd like the controller controls to be super smoothed. The accuracy of the sticks is so bad that they feel too jerky and civilian flying doesn't require twichy movements that the delay that smoothing causes would not bother me.

lobsterminator fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 28, 2021

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I updated the game overnight and tried it quickly before work this morning. Performance seems better on my low end machine and the LOD is more agressive. I was flying over some city and quickly rotated the camera and I noticed the details in the city filling in and disappearing more noticeably than before. This isn't a bad thing and I'm sure it's less noticeable if you can use higher quality options.

I did see a clip of a person landing on a grass field and the tower appearing only like 10-20 meters ahead of him. I can't say if that kind of object popping is common now, because I haven't given it a proper go yet.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

JerikTelorian posted:

Now that MSFS has been out a bit, any "must have" mods or planes people can recommend? I'm getting back into it and want to have some fun.

And imagine, only a year ago that would have been a breach of EULA in the flight sim community.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

the milk machine posted:

since we're posting our early sim experiences. we had a mac when i was a kid so i was stuck with ms flight sim, but my friend a few blocks away had a sweet 386 or whatever. big times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8hQTLwkGuE

I mainly played Red Baron, but all these Dynamix sims with the same engine had a nice balance of realism and fun gameplay.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

slidebite posted:

I actually still have a C64 and boxed copy of Flight Simulator. I fired it up and ran it a year or two ago. It was awful. And not just oh my god we're so spoiled now, it's literally 1FPS and you really, really need to use your imagination. It's one of those things that's best left in your memory and not relived.

I also had an A500 and there was a jet sim, I think F18 Interceptor that was totally my jam. I loved that game.

Yeah Flight Sim is unplayable, but I have a boxed copy of Gunship for my C64 and it was actually pretty fun! It's more like driving a hover car than actual helicopter flight, but it was fun to play and ran at an acceptable frame rate.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Broken Machine posted:

Ok, so I imagine someone here can explain this to me about flight 2020. With the new update and the release on xbox, they now have the flight assistant menu. I cannot find a setting in the main assistance menus in the game that toggles the main, basic, AI Piloting switch that's in the flight assistant menu. Is there seriously like not a toggle in those menus? Because I switched on the AI during a flight, then when I started the new flight the AI is still switched on. There's no choice to switch it off before the flight, and I don't want the ai to start taxiing down the runway before I can switch it off. I was able to get it switched off by running a flight, switching it off and then exiting the game and relaunching it, but that doesn't seem to always work consistently.

It's a great game when it works right but just.. there are such basic things about it that are so jank. If you d/c a controller while you're in the controls menu, you softlock the game completely. Why is there no easily accessible toggle for the ai piloting on/ off state on the main assistance menu? Why is there no ability to remap (or even map) the resume button from the pause menu? And so on. But realy though, how do you toggle the global ai setting so the plane doesn't just do whatever? Last time I tried to use the ai like a cruise control, and it turned back around and headed back to the origin for some reason. :shrug: I just want to fly around

Isn't the AI setting used to follow your flight plan? If you don't have a plan it will probably go wonky. Best way to fly casually is turn on the autopilot in the plane and set it to HDG mode and steer by controlling the heading.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

TescoBag posted:

So, a couple of questions.

I remember there was a bunch of goons that were playing multiplayer flights in OnAir I think it was? Was there another thread for that or was it based in this thread and it's just fizzled out?

Any good options for twin engine (preferably prop) GA planes that are particularly good? (payware etc)

I know there are a few in the main game, but I only have the standard edition and I've heard a lot of the default planes are quite buggy based on forums I've been looking through?

I think people kinda split into different platforms. OnAir, NeoFly, Skypark and FSE. I don't think there's a single active goon fleet anywhere, like there was in the old days of FSE.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

longview posted:

Also running into a fair amount of ATC simulation bugs, especially with the automatic transmission mode on

Like 95% of the time you just need to press 1 on the ATC so it's not too much hassle keeping radio on manual. And it's nice that it adds a bit of something to do while following a flight path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

guidoanselmi posted:

Was really excited to get my TrackIR in the mail. Set it up in a few minutes and handed the stick to a visiting friend for the first try.

The TrackIR camera burnt out after about 10 minutes. The light turned green, then orange, and then off. The device was hot to the touch, still powers on, but is never detected.

There's no way in TYOOL 2021 this product should exist at this price point.

e: the light may have turned orange because my cat was stretching near the keyboard. i refuse to blame this all on my cat, though.

Yeah I would never get the official trackIR. I have the delanclip + PS3 eye combo and it works good enough for me and the metal delanclip is a lot sturdier than the plastic trackir clip.

I tried the SmoothTrack mobile app but the lag and accuracy was miles from a proper headtracking rig.