Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

AzureSkys posted:

Is anyone having issues with autopilot oscillations? Once en route in the 172 g1000 the wings start rocking back and forth regardless of what nav mode it's in. Disabling AP for a bit then re-enabling doesn't fix it. Winds aren't too strong, like a 10kt quartering tailwind. Searching around other forums doesn't mention anything and I've not experienced it before. I've used a few different joysticks/controllers as well and they all experience the same thing, too.

edit:
I went longer with AP disabled, like a few minutes, and now it seems better. It'll start the rocking over time again, though. Strange.

I've not seen it develop over time like you're describing, but I did have something similar yesterday in the JustFlight Arrow III. It rolled hard to take a turn on a procedure that I ultimately decided not to do, so I rolled it hard the other way which should, in theory disconnect the AP. It made a noise like it was disconnecting, but it instead put me in about an 80* left roll. Contrary to popular belief, knife-edging a Cherokee Arrow is not a fun experience. When I corrected right, it rolled to 80* bank. I oscillated back and forth like that, barely under control until I realized the AP switch was still on. As soon as I killed it, everything went back to normal.

In general, the AP seems a little weird in this game. It consistently does wonky poo poo in the Beech 18 and DC-3 and before yesterday's roll chicanery in the Arrow, I couldn't get the AP to hold altitude. Alt Hold was on, but over the course of 20 minutes or so, it was slowly sliding downhill and lost about 300' of altitude. I was consistently adjusting for local altimeter settings too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

jasoneatspizza posted:

Practicing my taildragger landings with the X Cub: https://www.xbox.com/play/media/254LRSEBR5

Not sure I fully understand what I should be doing with the propeller control. Basically I leave full power and full prop RPM on the climb, cruise I reduce throttle a bit and set RPM to around 2300. For landings each time I gradually remove throttle on approach I also lower prop RPM some. Does this make sense to do? Also in what situations should I use 100% flaps? In the clip I'm only using 66%.

I assume the POH might have some specific suggestions, but apparently Cub Crafters is keeping the manual hidden from the public!

So, the prop control is kinda like a gear shifter if you've ever driven a manual vehicle or ridden a 10 speed bike. High RPM is like first gear, lower RPMs are like 2nd, 3rd, 4th, gears.

There's a lot of physics and such behind it, but it basically boils down to this... generally speaking, high RPM settings are used when acceleration is (or may be) needed. So, at takeoff and landing you want your propeller pitch to be at high RPM (usually full forward). On takeoff, that allows you the best acceleration and climb. On landing, it allows you the same, should you need to do a go around.

General procedure in most general aviation aircraft is this:
Takeoff
- line up w/runway
- prop full forward (high rpm)
- mix full forward (unless at high alt)
- throttle full forward

Immediately after takeoff - say, 500' or so - reduce throttle and prop to put both the manifold pressure and RPM gauges in the green. Once in cruise, pull the power back to cruise settings as described by the POH. Generally, you cruise around 2000-2300 rpm and 20-25" manifold pressure in a light single GA aircraft. (e.g. The piper arrow's cruise settings are 2300rpm and 22" MAP).

As you approach the airfield for landing and start pulling throttle, you generally want to bring the prop forward (just don't redline it). It sounds counterintuitive because it sounds like the engine is increasing power output as it revs up. But, it's not. The engine speed is increasing because you're changing the angle of the propeller blades, but the power output is still coming down and is dictated by your throttle setting.

So, on short final, you want about (give or take... I'm not too familiar with the cub) about 15" of manifold pressure and full high RPM. That way, if you have to gas it to do a go around, your prop will be in the mode that allows for best acceleration.

It's a really nuanced thing, but just remember - high RPM = hi acceleration, low top speed. Low RPM = low acceleration, higher top speed.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Not sure in the sim, but control trim is definitely a thing ing most big helos.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
If anyone's interested in following along, I'm flying around the world in a Beech 18 in FS2020. I've got a thread going over in the LP subforum.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

jadebullet posted:

Is anyone else finding the C-47 career in IL2 to be kinda lackluster? Just did the D-Day mission on hard, dense traffic. Had only my flight in the sky and didn't face a single AA gun.

Unless they've upped it recently, I believe the engine can only handle a max of around 16 aircraft in the air at any given time. So, mass waves of C47s over Normandy are bound to be unimpressive.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

slidebite posted:

Thanks for linking this. I gave that a read last night. I enjoy your writing style too.

Thank you for the compliment. I appreciate it and I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Has anyone used the Rex Simulation weather add-ons for FS2020? Are they worth it for someone who primarily flies with live weather on? It looks like most of the free weather mods are just additional presets for weather, but maybe I'm just missing something.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
That's a thing? Why is that a thing?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
When you say "reset view" you mean via the Ctrl+f10 command, right? Not just what the F key (by default) does.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

azflyboy posted:

MSFS projects are often playing the copyright version of "I'm not touching you!", since no one wants to pay the licensing fees to manufacturers, so lack of permission from Beech may not matter.

As an example, the Carenado Cessna 182 and 337 don't have the Cessna name or logo anywhere in the models, textures, or documentation, (same with their D-18, Bonanza, and Staggering and Beech), so it appears that Textron has seemingly decided they have better things for their legal department to do.

The Carenado D18S definitely has the beechcraft logo on the outboard sides of both cowlings. I couldn't figure out how to remove them when I was reskinning my aircraft to match a local bird.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Hekk posted:

I have MSFS and the Black Square Steam Gauge C208 Cessna Caravan. I have been considering trying to plan out vfr flights across the US in approximately one hour long legs. Are there any tools that might make that easier than clicking around in MSFS and hoping there is somewhere close enough to fly to?

Skyvector is great, but also look into Little Navmap. It's free and is a super powerful planning tool.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Zero One posted:

Yes, no ATC is better than the game's ATC.

If you want the flavor background sound just play something from LiveATC.

If you want a real ATC experience join VATSIM.

Agreed. The number of times I've been given an approach clearance to a 25+ knot quartering tailwind is astronomical. I was denied a vfr approach to an airport last weekend because it was "ifr" only to find it clear blue and a million when I got there.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
The warthog is pretty bulletproof so you scored a great setup. The only mod I ever did on mine was to pop it apart and remove the heavy main centering spring. I found that its tendency to center was too strong when trying to do fine input adjustments with the stick near the center point. In fighter Sims, trying to line up a perfect shot while fighting the stick's centering force got annoying.

For civ Sims, it's probably a-ok as is. I ran it with FS2020 for years until I sprang for the Alpha and Bravo setup from Honeycomb a few months ago. Both setups have their pros and cons, but I have been a very happy warthog user for at least a decade.

Edit to add: there are other, lighter springs in the stick that bring it back to center after removing the main spring, so the stick doesn't just flop over. As it turns out, the heavy main spring wasn't what was causing me to miss my targets while dogfighting. I'm just a terrible aerial marksman.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 28, 2022

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
For FS2020, I just use the mouse to interact with dials on the screen. That or I just let the comms menu do the work for me. I only fly GA though, so using a mause in a jetliner might be impractical.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Boar It posted:

Microsoft is the company that struggles the most with developing for Windows.

As a career-long IT professional, truer words have never been written.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
A couple weeks ago, I started having an odd problem in FS2020 where my click hotspots for various buttons and knobs in the cockpit are offset from the actual 3d model.

It's happening in pretty much every aircraft, but for example, here's a screenshot of the Beech Baron.

You can see that the click spot for the softkey here is a ways above the actual button in the cockpit. All the buttons and knobs behave the same. Anyone ever seen this or have an idea of a fix?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Yep. I found a better google string that what I'd used previously and an asobo post led me to the fix.

If you're experiencing the problem in my screenshot above, go to the graphics menu and turn "lens correction" off. It's near the bottom of the list.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Is anyone else experiencing the issue where if you use "active pause" (pause key by default) in FS2020, it breaks the simconnect stream? If I'm using Little NavMap, Neofly, or any of those other 3rd party apps that hook into FS2020 and hit pause, the app fails to update until I restart FS2020 (not just the flight, but the whole game). In LNM my plane icon will be stuck in the spot where I pressed pause. I've googled around and haven't been able to come up with anything and I've tried restarting LNM and using the disconnect/reconnect options, but nothing seems to fix it.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

lobsterminator posted:

Active pause has been a failure since the beginning. It used to break the autopilot, maybe even now.

If you need to pause just press esc and stay in the menu.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I normally do use the ESC menu to pause, but this morning I reached for F12 to take a screenshot but found the Pause key instead. Maybe I'll just unbind it to avoid this in the future.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I swore I'd not spend money on WWII fighters in FS2020, but I recently came into a little unexpected cash. So, I picked up the P-40E and the P-38 (after a shitshow of an experience buying through the marketplace, but I digress). Both are actually a hoot to fly even though there's no fighting to be done. I just flew the P-38 from Michigan to Alabama in a couple hours at 30,000 ft and it was pretty awesome. If they're on sale and you want something heavy and analog to blast around in, give them a go. They're a lot of fun.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
As a lifelong IT support professional, anything with the word "open" in it instantly equates to "good luck figuring it out yourself."

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Squiggle posted:

Opentrack is no more complicated than Track IR.

That's great. My comment was less an observation on opentrack than it was about the deeply subconscious link my brain has built between "open" and more loving work for me.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Oh Lord, let's see what they did to my beloved Beech 18. Last SU, the aircraft was unflyable till Carenado came out with their own update days later. :ohdear:

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

e.pilot posted:

I just want the visuals of FS2020 with the flight model and VR support of x-plane

e: all it takes is one flight in a tail dragger to see the FSX underpinnings plain as day

Agreed. As much as I enjoy FS2020, and as much as it pains me to see it bashed in such a way, it's absolutely true. As a GA geek with a penchant for taildraggers, their ground handling physics are just wrong. Granted I only have about 20hrs in actual taildraggers (a Maule MX7), tailwheels in FS2020 behave more like a steerable nosewheel with its position shifted aft. Most aircraft do not have a fully steerable tailwheel and rely on rudder and differential braking for directional control on the ground. FS2020's taildraggers feel like they're running on rails which is why they require such a drastic rudder kick when the tailwheel leaves the ground.

Even the famously docile and forgiving DC3 will wag its tail up and down the runway on takeoff and landing as soon as the tail leaves the ground. My beloved Beech 18 was historically more finicky due to its small vertical stabs, but there are conditions in which it becomes downright embarrassingly hard to control during TO or landing... and that's after 270hrs in the (virtual) aircraft and untold hundreds of landings in all conditions. :/

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

austin meyer, insane developer of x-plane, has a blog post where he insists in all-caps that if you are getting more than 30 fps you are WASTING YOUR COMPUTER'S POWER!!! because 30 fps is the STANDARD for SMOOTH VIDEO!!! so if you're hitting 60 you should TURN UP YOUR VIEW DISTANCE, OR GRAPHICS SETTINGS!!!

Ooooh, I remember that rant! It was... quaint.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I think there is some view that shows any custom scenery for airports, even if its included in the default game. It shows a star(?) or something around the airport icon on the map.

There's a bunch of really horrible poo poo airports, salt lake is totally hosed despite being a Delta hub because its been recently renovated.

You're right. Bespoke airports are marked on the planning map along with points of interest and wildlife.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Zero One posted:

New WU is live

Neato. Guadalcanal here I come. Time to explore all those places I've read about in my WW2 rags. Wonder if the Buna area of New Guinea is modeled well. It'd be interesting to see first hand where my granddad served

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Steadiman posted:

It’s really bad, almost like they switch to an entirely different physics system the moment your wheels touch the ground. It’s hilarious how difficult planes can be to control during take off or roll out, even with mild winds it’s super easy to lose control and veer off the runway. Or how your wheels can be at an almost 90 degree angle at slow speed and you’re still moving in an almost straight line when taxiing. It all just feels “off”.

I think some planes try to create better ground handling by faking it but that creates its own problems I think. I find the FBW A320 really hard to taxi, for example. Super easy to overshoot turns and the braking is wildly unpredictable, with an oddly long delay between pushing the brake and it actually braking, but at least it feels like it has some weight so I definitely think they’re doing some trickery. And to be fair, that maybe that’s how the A320 actually works, I wouldn’t know.

I honestly don’t understand why this hasn’t really been addressed since proper ground handling seems like quite an important part of a flight simulator. Has asobo even acknowledged this as a problem?

Yes to all of this! Especially the comments about braking delays. For me, it happens in every plane I fly so I have gotten in the habit of pumping the brakes in a full on/full off fashion. Trying to feather them like I can in DCS or IL2 just results in the a/c veering wildly one way or the other. When I've searched for resolutions, the two inevitable responses are 1) check your axis response curves (I have), or 2) a condescending "git gud."

I can concur with MrYenko's assessment with respect to C172s completely. Unfortunately every aircraft is just as bad, IMO.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I'm partial to the Beech 18, but that's just me. Taildragger physics are bad, but that's been discussed ad nauseum here, so it's no surprise. Else the plane is pretty fun to fly and relatively forgiving. I bought the Caribou, but found it pretty underwhelming - not badly modeled necessarily, just not my cup of tea.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
https://stormbirds.blog/2023/05/18/combat-pilot-a-new-pacific-wwii-sim-coming-from-jason-williams-and-barbedwire-studios/

:swoon:

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Il-2 has quite a few difficulty settings, so you can customize it pretty well.

I've kinda cooled on it over the last year or so since it's really starting to show its age. Something like a max of 16 a/c in the air at one time, lame AI, and the god-awful radio comms in single player just kill it for me. I don't play multiplayer - where it excels, apparently - so your mileage may vary.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

lobsterminator posted:

I haven't played in a while either but I believe I installed a mod that replaces the radio comms with blank audio files. That really sucks, because a good comms system would add to the excitement. Now it's just annoying robots yelling the same useless things again and again.

I just turn the in-cockpit radio down - first thing I do when I start a mission. They added a key command for that a few version back. But yeah... "RrrrOUGHMAN" "Thisis2imgoingdown" is just soooooo loving tired an annoying.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Beef Of Ages posted:

I bet ATC is still hosed up in that one too.

"Piper ASXGS, please expedite your climb to FL290"

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I use littlenavmap and restart my flight approximately where my aircraft trail ends.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Saul Kain posted:

Your son is way cooler than you are Vaha.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Wild. I've got ~1000hrs in FS2020 and haven't had the updater issues like you're all describing. I mean, functionally it sucks and is beyond stupid to have to update through steam then in-game (pre-launch), then again in-game (individual modules). But, I've always had relatively fast downloads without trouble.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Squiggle posted:

I really hope 2024 is better.

I'm desperately clinging to the "we're making 2024 a much thinner client" promise. Even though I'm not having a lot of the problems these other folks are, the downloads are pretty ridiculous in size alone.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Il2 Battle of Normandy has C47s in Normandy but dday doesn't look fleshed out

Very little in IL-2 is fleshed out these days unless you're into multiplayer. I'm not, so I've more or less given up on the GB series despite my overwhelming passion for WW2 aviation.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Carth Dookie posted:

Pat Wilson campaign generator not enough?

Pat's work is excellent, without a doubt. It's probably the only thing that kept me playing the game over the last couple years. It's the only freeware I've ever been so impressed by as to contribute cash to the author. But even then, there's only so much that can be done with such an old platform. The lack of decent high altitude modeling means every fight is a low altitude one, abysmal AI that still sucks even though it's omniscient, the radio calls are utter trash, wingmen are braindead, no infantry presence, etc, etc, etc - it all adds up for a loving terrible and mind numbingly boring SP experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

azflyboy posted:

There's a way around that.

Bind something to "VFR Pilot View Save", then move the camera where you want it, and hit that button.

Then, when you hit the view recenter button, it'll reset the view to whatever your new viewpoint was.

This is the correct answer.

I'm using a mod to import the 750 into most aircraft and I've found the 750 & mod combination to be really inconsistent at best. In the steam gauge 172, the VORs just done work no matter what CDI setting you use. In my beloved Beech 18, the main map screen will be solid black if you have a flight plan loaded most of the time. If it does work, after about an hour of flight, the in-panel screen slowly scrambles and then goes black. If you don't load a flight plan, it works fine. Sadly, most of the time I have to use the pop out window on another monitor for the 750. Sometimes even that absolutely refuses to enter approach mode.

This is all to say that the problems you're describing with the 750 are 100% in line with my experiences. It's an awesome add on, but for the last six months or so, it's been buggy af.