Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Davincie posted:

while i applaud the staff of climbing girls for making every girl look like a mid 00s hentai character, the show was boring

Yeah, this is the part where it feels extremely horny. It's not the bare muscles part but the "half the girls are American D cup or bigger" part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Squidster posted:

Apparently the perfect ending will get better on the dvd with an extra five minutes of animation! I expect it's more closure on the final fate of the executioners.

That makes sense, yeah. no other characters with arcs who really need concluding.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah, this is the part where it feels extremely horny. It's not the bare muscles part but the "half the girls are American D cup or bigger" part

Oh no.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh no, not an American D cup. How scandalous.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

on the one hand, im not saying the show isnt kinda horny. on the other hand, could you have found a way to sound any more like a 1930s land developer raging about the harlots on main street

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
:drat:, that Akudama Drive ending.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, let's be real here, who doesn't want a show about the Seal Hero? Brushes the foulest of magic aside with a lazy wave of a flipper, crushes mighty ogres by awkwardly rolling over them, and will stop at nothing in his quest for the Swordfish of Truth.

he can fight the Seal Clubber from kingdom of loathing

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Are they openly horny for each other or is it more for the audience? I like shows that are more the former over the latter not that I have any opposition to the latter all other factors being equal (good plot, characters, etc).

e: 5 seconds into Akuduma Drive and I can already see this is going to be a better cyberpunk experience than CP2077.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 26, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
feel like there are dimensions to this question and how people could read it out of the show that would cause very long arguments among some groups

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Colonel posted:

feel like there are dimensions to this question and how people could read it out of the show that would cause very long arguments among some groups

"A little of column A and a little of column B" is also an answer though :D .

But I mean, it shouldn't result in such arguments as that isn't the point of the question, the question is about how much weight to assign watching it in my backlog as it relates to my preferences and not to like, criticize it if it happened to be more of the latter than the former.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raenir Salazar posted:

Are they openly horny for each other or is it more for the audience? I like shows that are more the former over the latter not that I have any opposition to the latter all other factors being equal (good plot, characters, etc).

e: 5 seconds into Akuduma Drive and I can already see this is going to be a better cyberpunk experience than CP2077.

Akudama Drive is a rare gem that manages to start strong AND stick the landing with a perfect 10.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Akudama Drive is a rare gem that manages to start strong AND stick the landing with a perfect 10.

I just binged all of it and once more I am feeling the void known as awesomeness withdrawal that got me into anime in the first place.

e: to unwind I'm giving Majou no tabitabi a shot. I like the Raistlin vibes Elaina gives me. One day Elaina, fat inn keepers will bow to you.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 26, 2020

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Echoing the love for Akudama Drive's finale, what a great show start to finish.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something I just want to say about Akudama Drive; I really love the scene where Brawler dies, because it immediately tells you exactly how this show is going to end and reminds us that the people behind the show do love killing off their casts of eccentric characters one-by-one. And all we can do from then on is wait to see exactly how each of them will fall... :suspense:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something I just want to say about Akudama Drive; I really love the scene where Brawler dies, because it immediately tells you exactly how this show is going to end and reminds us that the people behind the show do love killing off their casts of eccentric characters one-by-one. And all we can do from then on is wait to see exactly how each of them will fall... :suspense:

It's not even about some sort of arbitrary unfairness. An Akudama's whole deal is that they pursue a concept and an obsession all the way up to and beyond the limitations of human society, biology, and psychology, and that inevitably means they'll burn out. The only question is how bright they glow before the end, and who else they'll set ablaze.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
So many shows end up falling at the final hurdle so it was really pleasing that Akudama Drive managed to stick the landing.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Is it weird to keep sticking with a show you know isn't good because of one character/you keep hoping will get better but never does?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they call that an abusive relationship and i hope you can escape it

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i can change them

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Willo567 posted:

Is it weird to keep sticking with a show you know isn't good because of one character/you keep hoping will get better but never does?
Sunk cost fallacy. We've all been there.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Some shows for me it isn't necessarily a particular character, maybe something about the premise or the show's gimmick is interesting to me that I'm willing to tolerate a lot of terribleness for that bit that I like.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The worst is shows where every episode is kind of dull but tricks you into thinking that the next episode is going to be good. I think I watched about 7 episodes of Robotics;Notes before I caught on

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Odaiba Gundam exists in Love Live!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
got everything i wanted out of gochiusa and strike witches and assault lily this season. zero complaints

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Prepping to make the AOTY thread in a few days. I've tried to compile all eligible anime into this list: https://pastebin.com/1A9Q9kqy

As a reminder, to qualify, an anime must finish in 2020. If it's still airing by December 31, it doesn't count. If there's anything missing, or anything that should be removed, let me know.

Dunno what the stance is regarding movies, but I've left them in for completeness. I'm planning on having the vote be done through a Google form this year to make voting and counting the votes easier, but the thread will still be open for the usual thoughts and elaboration.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 27, 2020

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Made in Abyss Season 2? I knew there was some compilation movies and I think there’s a movie that continues things but there wasn’t a new season as far as I’m aware.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Finished Assault Lily, the show was good overall but I'm disappointed the end didn't actually go into any of the mysteries it was dangling in front of us. Definitely feels more like a setup for a second cours than a real standalone season, but I guess whether or not it gets that will depend on whether or not the mobile game is successful. :rip:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

time for the end of season post:

Sleepy Princess - cute trash characters + slapstick is a winning formula for me (see also: jashin-chan dropkick, milky holmes) so this was always going to be my favorite

Gochiusa s3 - this series has improved a lot at the iyashikei thing since the start, i already was a fan of it as a comedy but was still surprised at how good and affecting some of these episodes were

Akudama Drive - was gratifying to see this stick the landing with such force and clarity after some of the more wishy-washy dystopian series we got earlier in the year

Talentless Nana - unusually fun framing for a death game / murder mystery series. they didn't write an anime ending though so it's an incomplete please-buy-the-manga one unless it gets a s2

Adachi & Shimamura - i mostly watched this because i like the author via denpa onna and was hoping it was a little more like that series than it ended up being. i thought it was fine.

~~~ The Line of Regret ~~~

Warlords of Sigrdrifa - the first few episodes of this were good but it didn't find an interesting direction to develop after that, just went through the motions

Wandering Witch - i've griped about this one enough on here already, just a frustratingly juvenile approach to what could have been good material

The Day I Became a God - seriously dude, just write a comedy for gods sake. everyone who thought clannad after story was good is like 30 now and not going to fall for it again.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So far (Episode 3 or 4 ish? Episode 'Princess without Subjects') Wandering Witch is sorta very Kino's-esque for me which is by no means bad, the only thing is I kinda feel like Elaina is just a passive observer to the events in front of her as if she was an apathetic version of the Doctor from Doctor Who in that she helps a little bit but won't lift a finger to significantly fix the status quo despite having the power to interfere. Kino felt way more pro-active than Elaina is.

I also generally prefer shows with more of an ongoing plot, and "smug witch randomly visits different countries while neutrally observing people being lovely" while no means bad and is quite the palate cleanser after Akudama drive, I feel like there could be more to it and result in a significantly better show.

Is this a result of adaption issues or am I missing anything?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Black Stones posted:

Made in Abyss Season 2? I knew there was some compilation movies and I think there’s a movie that continues things but there wasn’t a new season as far as I’m aware.

Huh, no idea how that got in there. Think this might have been the hired movie mislabeled

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's literally an episode of kino where the ending is a guy asking kino to save him from his horrific life working on the infinite tower that will inevitably fall down and kino saying "hmm well that's a very interesting request to make. let's ponder this. what if you just found a new thing to do with the tower. like coloring." and then driving away

kino gets proactive depending on the situation but that's only a few eps in 2003, it's not really the big difference

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remember when kino found those three guys on the rail wasting their lives and actively undoing each other's work and did nothing

remember when kino was gonna let the slavers go until they want to murder and enslave kino, specifically

that said wandering witch seems to have made the dual weird call of 'making the situations way more over the top sad/hosed up' and 'removing every scene where elaina has any introspection'

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Maybe it's something to do with how Elaina's character is presented. The anime starts out with her perfect childhood, making it seem like she should be reasonably sane and kind to other people, so her reactions during her travels seem to contradict that impression.

Kino, on the other hand, only gives some kind of background (and not the happiest one at that) after we see how messed up her world is, so the audience readily accepts that any resistance would be futile anyway, kind of thing?

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

The Day I Became a God - seriously dude, just write a comedy for gods sake. everyone who thought clannad after story was good is like 30 now and not going to fall for it again.

Few anime endings have ever pissed me the hell off quite like that of Charlotte, so I was watching this with dread the whole way through and the most generous thing I can say about it is that it wasn’t quite that bad. It was still complete bullshit, though. Once again the villains waltz away scot free while the main characters are left to pick up the pieces.

And it doesn’t even bother acknowledging just how awful the situation really is. A sinister cabal who is perfectly willing to abduct and lobotomize children to get what they want now has access to a future-predicting supercomputer, but it’s all okay because Hina sort of remembers bits and pieces of her old life?

How about you throw those last few episodes in the garbage and instead have Yota prevent Hina from being abducted, then actually use the computer’s powers to beat the cabal somehow? Yeah, maybe it’s a stretch to say they could do that but we’ve already established that the computer is basically magical at this point. Couldn't have been worse than spending two episodes watching Yota be obnoxious and inconsiderate around a mentally ill person.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The problem with Elaina is that she really didn't end up doing a lot in the anime. Even in the second to last episode the main conflict was resolved by her teacher which was a big "Wait why resolve it this way?"

The adaptation just made a bunch of curious choices in what it added (The Flower episode in the light novel didn't end with the town getting wiped out it was more of "This dangerous thing is over there, avoid it") and what it didn't change and it resulted in a very uneven series

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

Huh, no idea how that got in there. Think this might have been the hired movie mislabeled

Yeah, that should have been Made in Abyss Movie 3: Fukaki Tamashii no Reimei, not sure how I got the wrong title in there.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

So Talentless Nana was a good series but unless we get a season 2 I'm down on the ending cause its a super mean read the source ending

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It also skipped most of the goofy towns, so you're left with a bunch of sad towns instead. That said, with Elaina and introspection, I haven't gotten around to the last episode yet so I don't know if it spells it out the same way, but in the original story, it also implies that it's not the same Elaina who visits every town. Her compilation of adventures is basically comprised of stories that she and her alternate selves visited, since that last story makes it clear that the Elaina who survives isn't necessarily the one who is the most proactive, so she picks up stories that other Elainas undertook that she herself never visited due to various branches or decisions made. This does lead to an issue though about Elaina where she doesn't seem to grow from her journey either. Also why I was pretty positive the final episode was gonna be that specific story, cause they picked the stories that were leading up to it that led to Violent Elaina (princess witch vs monster/hair cutting incident/time travel serial killer), but since the anime just does a poor job conveying Elaina's inner thoughts and regrets, I assume the build up probably didn't land well.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Opening the floor to comments on the AOTY voting form: https://forms.gle/G4HDFPrvr8tprmQv8

Note that responses are not being accepted right now, so don't try actually voting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Bakeneko posted:

Few anime endings have ever pissed me the hell off quite like that of Charlotte, so I was watching this with dread the whole way through and the most generous thing I can say about it is that it wasn’t quite that bad. It was still complete bullshit, though. Once again the villains waltz away scot free while the main characters are left to pick up the pieces.

And it doesn’t even bother acknowledging just how awful the situation really is. A sinister cabal who is perfectly willing to abduct and lobotomize children to get what they want now has access to a future-predicting supercomputer, but it’s all okay because Hina sort of remembers bits and pieces of her old life?

How about you throw those last few episodes in the garbage and instead have Yota prevent Hina from being abducted, then actually use the computer’s powers to beat the cabal somehow? Yeah, maybe it’s a stretch to say they could do that but we’ve already established that the computer is basically magical at this point. Couldn't have been worse than spending two episodes watching Yota be obnoxious and inconsiderate around a mentally ill person.

I had a bigger problem with the fact that Youta could just march in and take a disabled child from a medical facility with no problems just because she remembered him and immediately got over her trauma apparently, that Youta then proceeded to explain to the audience how amazing character Hina was and that they fell in love?? I think?? But that whole sci-fi subplot was kinda weird and really underdeveloped too