Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

1. I will admit that Fargo has been guilty of being so far up its own rear end with mythology / magic / bullshit to its own detriment.

2. LET'S loving GO!

What a good episode, for ways that I don't even understand fully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Season 1 had plenty of "filler" where Molly tries to run down a lead but doesn't really get anywhere, and Malvo prepares to rip off the Supermarket King, but doesn't execute yet. I don't know if there was ever a full episode of "nothing happening", but slow burns and building suspense have been in this show since the beginning.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Tag yourself. I'm enema guy.

Only halfway through the episode, but I just loved that bit for some reason.

E: Okay, everything about Lenore sincerely hurts my heart. I need some kind of 5 second, in passing shot in the finale that shows that she's alright.

oh jay fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 7, 2023

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I mean, Dot chose him because he is the opposite of Jon Hamm presumably. I have no issues.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

pointlessone posted:

I didn't know they were stand alone-ish per season, I think I'll stick with season 5 and roll back on the others later so I can see discussions live. Thanks!

Halfway through the season the thread will be going wild at the return of Glup Shitto, and you'll have no idea what's happening.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

CatstropheWaitress posted:

You joke but drat if that surprise S4 character return wasn't perfect.

The reveal about who a certain S2 character becomes is also so loving ridiculous that I can't help but love it.

As mentioned, these are all tantamount to easter eggs. Fun, but not distracting from the core story or requiring previous seasons to track.

For season 4, it was pretty obvious from the initial press releases saying it was about black criminals and that there was a character named Milligan, that one of the characters was going either be Mike or maybe Mike's dad. And by the time Satchel become attached to him by the waist, it was a forgone conclusion.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

oh jay posted:

Tag yourself. I'm enema guy.

He continues to be relevant.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The final season of Barry knew what they were doing with the next episode previews.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I can't explain why, but somehow this season seems closest to the movie since season 1, so I don't think he's completely off base. But it's just a vibes thing, nothing I can articulate.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Hilario Baldness posted:

When I watched that scene for the first time I rewound it probably 20 times because it's objectively the funniest scene in the entire series to date (to me, at least)

“Can I get two beers? Do you want two beers, too?"

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

oh jay posted:

He continues to be relevant.

RIP in peace, cancer enema man.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Wayne gets shot in the head while grabbing Jello.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dot might win, but Fargo has a wonky karma. Generally points towards the heroes, but wobbles. Thinking Bilbo's wife in the first season, Swango's fate in the third. Hope she does.

Chris Rock had the weirdest ending in season 4.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Nameless Pete posted:

Using oranges to signify death has become the Wilhelm Scream of metaphors.

I was surprised he didn't sin eat those on the spot.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Morals and life lessons are best taught from a magical bowling alley.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

They should skip even further and show Gator on January 6.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

DaveKap posted:

Or we're just over-analyzing

Speak for yourself. I've spent the last few days eating chicken piccata and making puppets.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dot's troubles started when she turned around and tazed the wrong person in a unruly auditorium.

Now Roy gets in trouble by turning around and punching the wrong person in an unruly auditorium.

Good poo poo.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I get the feeling that Indira might be on the chopping block now that she's joined team Debt Collector :(

I feel like Danish's death and Gator's likely death fills the quota. I don't think we're getting another massacre of Sioux Falls.

Maybe the FBI agents will eat it like Key & Peele.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I've enjoyed every cover and arrangement of Toxic I've ever heard, and this was no exception.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I rewatched the scene to see if there was anything interesting about those 3 men. Some of the debt totals were off screen, but it looks like he might have just been picking tallish men with brown hair.

Very convenient for him that the Lyons track height and hair color.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

f#a# posted:

Regarding Linda, my read on the situation was that Dot fell asleep at the wheel prior to arriving at the gas station, and the wrapping "wakeup" of the pancake and semi truck crash was in fact still a dream, but I'm still unclear on where she was actually trying to go.

Also worth noting that she was turned onto Camp Utopia by unearthing a box by a windmill, which one episode later is all but confirmed to be where Linda is buried.

My only other quibble with this season so far is that they haven't shown how Dot managed to become such a MacGuyver-esque tiger. I mean I guess it's fine to say "resourcefulness due to traumatic abuse," but I feel there's some justification missing there.

The bulletin board at the diner had a chicken piccata recipe and an ad for puppets. Her dream happens when she doses off for half a second and gets jolted awake by the pancakes.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Oh and I did enjoy Dot arming herself with a Femur, probably Linda's.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Camp Utopia sign as we walked into the diner too. Keyser-Soze-esque sequence.

MIssed that one! I went back to see and and also caught that the song on her car radio is also "I'm your puppet".

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

So is anyone from a previous season showing up in the finale, or is this going to be completely standalone?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

GolfHole posted:

I want pancakes

Only after you hallucinate your dead mother figure.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

"What you are giving me are words. We are here for pancakes. Understand?"

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Season 1 has a lot of soul in some of the asides, B plots, and vignettes.

The ones that jump out immediately are The Man Who Gave Everything and Bob Odenkirk's foster son, but I think every episode has something that sticks with you and makes you think.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The first half of the episode was the saddest Fargo has ever made me.

The second half of the episode made me laugh more than Fargo ever has.

"A man--"

"BISCUITS"

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Everything in the second is perfect, deliberate comedic timing. It's like nothing I've ever seen.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

There's a "rule" of writing that I've always liked. Coincidence can be used to get characters in trouble. It can't be used to get characters out of trouble.

The truck was real and the crash as it appeared on screen is literally what happened.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Witt should have watched Fargo season 1.

"Not apprehended. Dead. Head in a bag. Kill or be killed."

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Gus Grimly is a good man, but a bad cop. That's why he won.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

quote:

But here a long time. From the age of the carrier pigeon and the 600 tribes. The Arapaho, the Cree and the Tonkawa. A man comes, never having seen a mountain. He cannot remember the year of his birth. He is paid to soldier. But one night, he wanders from his post, drawn by the songs of the river.

First in forest, then on grassland. The man's hair grew long. He rode the horse without saddle or reins, and the people of the plains... were his people. But then came the cannon and the musket, and he was alone once more. For a century he spoke to no one.

Trying to put together a timeline for Munch (and tie him to the other seasons).

Ater he makes it to America, Munch makes friends with some of the Native tribes, but somehow missed the Massacre at Sioux Falls because of "the songs of the river".

He stops talking for a 100 years, after which, I'm guessing, he sees a lovely Ronald Reagan movie about the Massacre and gets angry and decides to become a hitman.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Munch in 3300AD landing on Alpha Centauri and baking biscuits for the locals

I can help!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Old Mike Milligan having one last hurrah after years of accounting does feel like something they could do for a modern day season.

I don't really want that, but I'd have some faith Hawley could pull that off in a way that wasn't terrible.

What if Mike got plastic surgery from the same guy who did Hanzee? He could have been in this season all along!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

New favorite thing from the finale: when Wayne gives Moonch a pop, he says "a man is grateful" which he has previously said. When Scotty tell him how much a cup is, he just blurts out "thank you."

He can't keep up the act in the face of overwhelming love and kindness.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Shageletic posted:

It's a pretty dark theme, but it's almost similar to what you do in a blizzard. You don't go out there swinging your fists. You hunker down, with who you love, and wait it out until.it finally ends.

If I was in a blizzard I would simply shoot my crush/future wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3k-AfWOtMM/?img_index=1

For when you gotta eat something made of love and joy.