Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I read through this entire thread yesterday and enjoyed all the nostalgic feelings of following this show. I totally forgot about the bench dedication and got to laugh at that.

The sentiment that this show needs to be either surprisingly good or really bad is one I agree with. I look forward to following this thread when this releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

w0o0o0o posted:

Dexter, staring at his next victim from a parked car just down the road:

"Turns out Clappy Barksgone works as a tree surgeon; left unchecked, that willow won't be the only thing getting limbs sawn off today *Clappy glances menacingly at to-be victim*

I can just hear Roger from american dad introducing himself "The name's Clappy Barksgone, tree surgeon!"

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Dexter you killed my lover. If I were to live 1000 years I will never forget that. I will escape this prison and hunt you down no matter where you may hide.... unless you can kill these assassins for me, then we will become best friends.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I feel like instead of an overly detailed nanny plotline they could have just had Dexter occasionally have a nanny and have most of the story take place on a time scale that implies that Dexter is actually just at home most nights on average, but that would make sense and involve less padding of the show with nanny scenes.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Quinn dating the babysitter reminds me of this (Breaking Bad spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akwV6gZcSH8

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I hope the twist is that Deb didn't really die somehow (it doesn't have to make sense) and has just been following Dexter around and he assumes she's not real.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The season 8 trailer made it look like Deb was going to take a dark turn and possibly become Dexter's final adversary, lawfully or otherwise. Instead *gestures at season 8*

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

timp posted:

Somebody make one of those quizzes that mixes in these goon-remembered plot contrivances with AI generated ones and asks you to guess which ones are real. I will take it and I will fail spectacularly

I had text synth generate from a prompt and got a much better finale pitch.

quote:

The worst part of Dexter was when Quinn killed Deb because he was trying to protect her and he loved her. The best part was when Dexter shot Quinn and his body falls out of the helicopter into the Hudson River and then Dexter goes and sits next to him. He told Quinn he will be fine. I was so upset when Quinn was in the hospital and he said he doesn't want to go home but Dexter said you will be fine, even though he was pretty beat up.

Quinn getting shot and falling out of a helicopter into the Hudson river and just being a little beat up is the ultimate old PI trick.

I got another wild one with the same prompt:

quote:

The worst part of Dexter was when Quinn called Deb in front of LaGuerta to inform her that the Miami Metro lab had matched blood found on the wall of Harrison's jail cell to Dexter's sister's. It turned out that when Dexter saved Harry from being killed by Doakes, Doakes stabbed him and Dexter was covered in his blood when he got him out of the building. When they took him to the hospital, the doctor didn't have any idea what happened, and Quinn told him the truth. After the scene was over, LaGuerta came out to him and, for some reason, she really let her true feelings show. After the two of them had a little talk, she finally told Quinn the truth, that she hated Dexter because she blamed him for everything that happened to her, and this caused her to realize that Dexter had been keeping her around in order to keep an eye on her, and that he was doing it all out of love, not out of hate, which caused her to forgive Dexter.

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 17, 2021

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Remember that time Quinn killed the strip club guy and then shot himself in the arm so he could claim it was self-defense? And how there was no point to that.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

PostNouveau posted:

ooo having Quinn come back as the law enforcement on Dexter's rear end for a season would be cool. There's a bit of an issue in that I think the real good motivation for him would be Deb just vanishing, but in the finale he seemed to completely accept that Deb was brain dead.

But if they're just handwaving Deb's death away ... I don't think they will but there's a shot in the trailer where she's wearing completely un-Deb business clothing and doing her "spread all the photos around on the floor to take in the evidence all at once" thing. If they do like a Halloween: H20 where they're like "the finale didn't happen the way it was shown" and Deb's alive or something ...

She was revived by the hurricane magic!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
How is anyone supposed to understand the show without ghost Harry to explain to dexter what the deer represented to him?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I actually laughed at that line

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I hope we don't have to wait too many episodes for harrison to start killing people by forcing them to run on treadmills

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
In the final episode Dexter literally murdered someone on camera at Miami metro and just went "self defense?" and batista and quinn were like ah alright.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Ghost Deb just making fun of Dexter while he scrambles to cover up his tracks was genuinely good fun and in fact I would be happy with a whole episode that was just her making fun of every single sloppy decision he makes in season 1-8

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
My prediction for the season is that the season will be flirting with whether or not Harrison is a normal kid but with some skills that one would expect from his rough life or if there's something darker about him, only for it to be revealed later in the season that he killed Hannah and when Dexter finds out ghost deb is like "lmao"

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Cojawfee posted:

What if the girl in the hotel room is a consenting adult and it's all just a role play?

Masuka: I know exactly what happened here.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I actually liked this episode. Ghost Deb continues to be the best part though. The cinematography of Dexter creating a scent trail at the crimescene was visually appealing and I appreciated that.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
New Blood will have a definitive conclusion and then do stories about the years leading up to this where Dexter just doesn't do anything too interesting and writes letters to Hannah.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

PostNouveau posted:

That was the best episode so far!

A lot of ways they could go with this. I kinda suspect this is all Harrison's long-term plan to get revenge on Dexter for abandoning him. A possible deathbed confession by Hannah that Dexter was a serial killer (maybe she's not even dead). Maybe Harrison is out to expose him.

I'm hoping for as campy an ending as possible obviously.

Given Dexter abandoning Harrison and disappearing and that Rita didn't exactly fit Trinity's pattern it's possible that he thinks Dexter killed her, I could see it, though I don't know that they'll go that way.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Oh I just remembered something I thought was interesting was how Harrison's speech was set over shots of other things happening in town, making it feel very much like one of Dexter's end of arc internal monologues.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I hope you’re right and that ghost trinity gets arrested by ghost deb in a bizarre twist

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I liked the part where Harrison fell backwards into the pool and Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter looked on in shock

That end reveal feels like the kind of thing the old series would have saved for the penultimate episode, at which point at the end of the finale she would just spontaneously explode and everyone in miami metro would rule it a suicide

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Dexter's attempted kill on the dealer may be his dumbest since the time he killed that guy at the airport.

Middle of the day, everyone in the bar saw his face, so incredibly public.

Then he followed up by learning the other guys name from the police who were investigating and still set up a kill room in the guy's house and was surprised when the police showed up. Luckily, this was a turn-based RPG investigation so when the police arrived it was Dexter's turn and he managed to dress and move the body, take down the kill room and escape undetected in one move.

Medullah posted:

I wonder if once Dexter's identity is revealed, he'll use the podcasters story and say "So many people are obsessed with that story, I had to disappear so other crazy people wouldn't track me down, and I sent Harrison away for his own good.

Dexter has had ten years to think up what he might say if ever discovered and he will have thought of nothing and make up something unconvincing on the fly.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
What should really be the biggest giveaway is after Dexter 'died' the serial killer population of Miami reached its previous rate of 3 for every non-killer citizen.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Regardless of what happens on-screen Angela has now gained the power to communicate with Ghost Quinn in my mind

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I forget exactly how it went down, but that also neatly ended the “Quinn thinks Dexter is a murderer” subplot. Quinn was under suspicion for Liddy’s disappearance and Dexter somehow made the evidence disappear, proving to Quinn that Dexter was a proper cop?

It was also after Quinn had been called to meet up with Liddy who claimed to have made a big break in the investigation, then when he reaches the meetup spot Liddy is dead. Then Dexter fakes the evidence to clear Quinn and somehow that leads to Quinn dropping all suspicion on Dexter, the only person who had any reason to kill Liddy.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
My memory on that is real fuzzy but I want to say it was something like he went out on a boat and followed them, taking photographs at a distance.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Still love how the Trinity Killer was someone that Lundy's colleagues thought was a real stretch to even prove the theory was right and Dexter found him in like five minutes.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Let's go completely bananas. Trinity killing Rita was misdirection. Baby Harrison actually killed Rita, huge twist.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Before going off to be a lumberjack Dexter put on a fake mustache to collect on his own life insurance policy

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
This is an interesting development, Dexter finally being emotionally honest with Harrison will likely lead to them trying to deal with Kurt another way since Harrison knowing the truth will prevent him from doing the obvious, easy thing of going to the police with the information that Kurt tried to kill him. I wonder if Dexter will go entirely into what the code means. Though I'm guessing this probably leads to them leaving themselves open enough to be able to write Dexter New Blood S2: Road Trip

edit: also that scene of angela doing her google searches made me think "black suv 2", we know what she was investigating, we know she knows he's dexter, we know she's heard of the bay harbor butcher, they didn't really need to show us that. That said, the writers got a nice measure of good will from me for the ending of this episode because it felt like they were gonna go the "harrison must choose between kurt and dexter" path and having dexter stop making excuses and just tell him the truth while kurt is still out there. Genuinely interested to see how these next two play out.

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 26, 2021

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Dexter teaching Harrison the code after ghost Deb acknowledged it as child abuse would be such a bad turn, so I hard agree there.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't follow this. Dexter's a bad guy, I kinda expect him to be a terrible parent.

I don't mean that it wouldn't make sense or anything just I personally don't want to see it happen.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
They missed an opportunity not having Kurt and an accomplice try to kidnap Harrison from his home, only to find it had been rigged with a number of dangerous traps.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The billionaire actually funded doctor Vogel but she went rogue and made the code, he still has her results and presses a button that unleashed an army of serial killers upon the town

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Oh yeah I almost forgot to laugh at an hour elapsing between Dexter coking out the drug cook and the cops finding him, despite that scene being nothing but smash cuts kicked off by Dexter hearing sirens roll up.

It was already a classic scene but they retroactively made it twice as Dexter.

I also like how earlier in the episode Dexter was able to shift into punch mode because the cops made a siren noise just briefly as they approached despite the fact that they were not there on urgent emergency business, it was just the "watch out Dexter" signal.

This season has been entertaining and it's also fun to laugh at things like that.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I think Dexter's finally going down though probably still alive at end of season, with Harrison taking up the mantle if they ever do another season. They'll probably find the screw that Dexter was given in the wreckage. Granted that is still imperfect evidence since Kurt could well have planted it there but we'll sure see.

This episode was so uncomfortable in a good way. That Christmas scene in particular.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Dexter’s Christmas present to Kurt was murder and he still somehow gave Angela a worse gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Fortunately this thread already has you covered for revisiting the classics