Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Odd request but can any Oceania experts help me place izzzyzzz's accent? I guessed northern NZ, a friend of mine said SE Australia. I wanna know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssi5lYD6gkM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Dire Lemming posted:

If she pronounces six as "sex" then northern NZ, otherwise I'd say Australian.

That's the point of confusion for us. She does the "pen/pin" merger you hear in many stereotypical New Zealand accents, but her heavily diphthongized "oh -> oouuu" vowels sound very Australian to me. If I had to guess I would say NZ but I'm not sure!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Thanks for your input, everyone. I suspected it was NZ but I wanted to be certain!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm tired of youtubers calling literally everything disturbing. Super Mario Bros 64 is not disturbing, it's a game for 8-year olds.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The 90s was a different time..

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Augus posted:

snl movie adaptations were a blight on humanity

It stayed in production limbo for awhile before finally getting a limited run release for like a week so even by the very low standards of SNL adaptations everybody knew it was a turd.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

not related to the video or account but it's so weird to me that because of the algo people have to mute stuff like Hitler's name or Nazi like it's a rap radio edit or do wordplays

As I understand it a lot of those practices just come from the content creators themselves editing or substituting speech that they believe will please the algorithm. It's not like there's a universal rulebook you can look at anywhere so it's mostly just people copying whatever someone else is doing. Other youtubers don't edit or censor any of that and seem to do just fine for themselves so it's maybe a dash algorithm with a whole lot of superstition.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There's an epidemic of plagiarist channels on youtube right now thanks to zero integrity or oversight combined with the pressure to constantly produce new content for views. I've noticed it happening with a ton of science channels over the past couple years. Any time some mildly interesting academic paper comes out there's an almost instantaneous drop of a half-dozen ARE ALIENS REAL??? thumbnails on my feed with nearly identical stock images and machine-written text. The most charitable thing I can say about Somerton is that at least it's a human doing the plagiarizing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My wife and I have followed Todd's channel for a long time. It's amusing but also kind of sad that the James Somerton Drama Content will probably be his most viewed video ever when all is said and done, because it really has nothing to do with most of the material he puts out. I think Todd is pretty well-known but his channel never seemed to be as popular as I thought it should be. But that's youtube for you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I personally hate Doug Walker too so it's fine.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I would like to register another complaint about youtube, and it's all these videos that now have like 8 titles each. Nowadays you can't even click on a good honest well-researched essay like "Starfield is A Bad Game [3-hour version]," it's also gotta have a crying Todd Howard with a speech bubble saying "I lied about the game!" and a green arrow pointing up that says MORE THIS with some barely perceptible gigachad meme and a red arrow that says NOT THIS with a bitcoin logo. Everybody is so desperate for attention, it's pathetic! From now on I will NOT be clicking on any video that has a secondary or tertiary etc. title in the thumbnail. One name only!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Man, Big Joel's video on Conservative Comedy is hard for me to get through. Not because it's badly done, but because usually videos on conservative culture are shorter or focused on breaking down a specific idea, but this is just showing how blatant hatred is an essential part of their amusement. It feels more depressing and real than a lot of similar videos.

I've learned within the past two weeks that the guy who made that kinda funny gluten-free parody and the chick who did the 25 different accents on youtube both became totally insane people. I can only hope the Saad continued to not give a gently caress.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Happy alien day

This dude is only 3 years older than I am, Christ.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

People have since switched over to waiting until GRRM dies and someone else can finish them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I feel like "the prequels are good, actually" is something that you can only really argue from an intellectual level because the actual act of watching them as cinema is unpleasant. They're shot poorly, the acting is wooden, the script is bad, the effects have not aged well at all. The sequel trilogy is also bad of course but in its own way.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Milo mentions at one point that the process of debunking nonsensical conspiracy theories always takes a lot more time and effort than just spouting whatever random bullshit you found on the internet, therefore truth will always be at a disadvantage in our world of endless content creation.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Rebecca Black's music honestly kind of slaps. I have a few tracks from her latest LP on my running playlist, Misery Loves Company is a standout in particular. A quite unexpected turn of events from 2011.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I am highly dissatisfied with the background lore of this rollercoaster.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

mycot posted:

I do think there's a bit of a Morbius effect going on where people mistake memes as purely affectionate. The reason why the Prequel Trilogy is easy to meme is because they're very strange movies that everyone basically had to watch if you were a certain age range in the 2000s, so there's that collective knowledge. Everyone gets the reference.

Not that there aren't people who genuinely like them or that there isn't a real fanbase (Anakin Skywalker is an Internet Sexyman in 2024) but I wouldn't take shitposts as entirely accurate metrics.

J.J. McCullough once referred to these as "irony cults," commonly recognized cultural touchstones that kind of occupy the grey space between genuine appreciation and outright mockery. See: Lasagna Cat, Shrek memes, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The WKUK Race War video from 15 years ago has 2 million views, so yes, quite possibly!