Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Mandalore is fine except for having SSeth (just an oldschool 4chan edgelord with a penchant for, well, 4chan humor) cameo though SSeth's crass jokes aren't usually on display in Mandalore's stuff

Whitelight seems fine too. I haven't watched that much of his stuff though.

EDIT: A few recommendations:

Sarah Z: covers all kinds of oddball stuff from pop culture to old internet lore in a style usually similar to Jenny Nicholson.

Red Bard: covers anime and the history of various con trends with the occasional divergence into other media

Jacob Geller: uses pop culture (primarily videogames) as a jumping off point into interesting philosophical essays. For example, he recently used Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 to talk about how much cars change the landscape.

Octavius King: Another retro gaming reviewer with her own style. She had some issues with her channel last year, but came back strong after a reboot of her reviewing style.

EDIT2:

How could I forget Kaiserbeamz the other really good retro anime reviewer who covers both good and bad classics.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bakeneko posted:

Internet Historian: It's debatable whether you'd call him a reviewer per se, but he does talk about stuff in a... review-ish manner. Mainly he does videos on viral internet phenomena and weird news. The main reason to watch him, though, is because he's extremely funny, using editing and animation to make nearly anything hilarious. Although he'll calm things down and get serious when he has to, such as in the Balloon Boy video.

Just to head this off: yes he does sometimes make some 4chan like jokes, but he's definitely not a chud. He's just an old school channer who held onto that humor a bit.

He doesn't dogwhistle or anything, but you will get the odd rather "blue" joke from his videos.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Edit: nah, not worth the argument.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 25, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Edit: let's stop the politics derail.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Man I have to ask but is Guru Larry turning into a chud?

The last video I watched from him was about characters having their names changed for "stupid" reasons and one of the examples he cites is a character renamed for the west because the name was insulting to Native Americans the character was named Brave Heart. ) He doesn't really harp on it too much but it stood out more that he didn't elaborate at all.

Surprisingly his video about three times journalism lied about videogames wasn't that way though as it was three Jack Thompson type scandals.

I'm still leaning no but that was a heck of a slipup.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 26, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yes that's what I figured Kim.

I've never had the impression he'd ever be malicious so I'd guessed it was a slip up or he just wanted to keep the video breezy.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sankara posted:

"Patience" is Ross's primary personality trait, really.

Until he runs into any kind of online service game at least.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Violet_Sky posted:

Why did they drop him?

Her and the reboot focuses solely on the Warners and Pinky and the Brain.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sininu posted:

OH! This reminds me, is there anything new about what the heck was going on with Dr. disrespect?

Nope. Whatever it was stayed under wraps so likely it was just him being an rear end in a top hat.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Roth posted:

My best guess is that they're rather snarky on twitter, so somebody is going to utterly despise them.

Yeah they just overdo the snark sometimes into full rear end in a top hat territory but otherwise seem harmless.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Progressive was trying to capture a protagonist suffering from enui and did that extremely well.

The problem is that that doesn't really make a fun or coherent watch and the latter half just goes off the rails in a bad way.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

stillvisions posted:

I think Chills is the champion for "how the hell is this a mega-popular channel?", especially given the voice and the complete disparity between the voice and the subject matter...

This is reminding me of when I tried to listen to the podcast Creepy and the guy's voice is just so fake at trying to sound scary it's an instant turn off.

(Non of their guest narrators are good either. It's just awful acting and grating voices all around.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

FuturePastNow posted:

Are they still making Overwatch 2 as a single player game, or did that get canceled like 99.9% of Blizzard projects?

They obviously rushed out the announcement to distract from the Hong Kong stuff. I suspect it is years away.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

MiddleOne posted:

Dear content creators, please stop doing the looping clips thing in your editing process. If you don't have enough good b-roll then stretch, hold or even just show something else entirely. Don't loop it and especially don't do it more than once.

That's getting around DMCA bots unfortunately. You'll probably only see it more.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It should be possible considering CDPR probably won't put a new game out for at least five years.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The TV apps don't always have that option.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
There's actually still an open world outside of the story campaign.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
A local place does Dr. Pepper chicken wings.

They're surprisingly decent.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

DeafNote posted:

Thank god for Civvie.

I always fear the day he's revealed as a chud, but thankfully it hasn't happened yet.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah. He's just said the odd joke that made me a bit wary but I forgot about the whole cancer mouse thing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kim Justice posted:

Generally speaking, quite a lot of the people I know -- at least when it comes to the UK retrogaming world on YouTube -- go pretty well to the left. Like, not everyone but a very nice chunk.

The only one from that crowd I've completely dropped is DJ Slopes because he weirdly seems to be a fan of ol Quarterpounder for some reason.

It doesn't show up in his videos at all since he covers actual cases of developers being awful and game journalism being crooked but getting suggestions to follow Quarter because Slopes does raised an eyebrow.

Plus I think I just got tired of his style. He's Guru Larry but more grating.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 6, 2021

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kim Justice posted:

In any case Slopes, Larry and myself are of course the same person.

Fess up. We know you're also Ashens.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
How does Octavius King fit into all this?

(I'll end this silly derail here)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sarcopenia posted:

Btw does anyone know how much Patreon money Spooney made back in the day? I'm curious to know if it was "barely surviving money" or "living lavishly money"?

Around 12k at his peak if this site is to be trusted
https://graphtreon.com/creator/spoonyexperiment

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

What's really telling as well as Doomcock is often cited as a "source" by the chud adjacent nerd sites like Bounding Into Comics or Cosmic Book News and sometimes by even the desperate ones like We Got This Covered.

It's so horrifying how many people I've seen roped into mistaking those articles as actual news when the only source is urinal face.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jamie Faith posted:

i also like one piece :)

nine-gear crow posted:

BEGONE, SATAN!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is he a weird channer type chuddish dude or not? like i remember he did a TON of poo poo about channers stealing la boufs dumb rear end flag for his weird art statements against trump.

He's kind of an old school 4channer in some of his lolrandom humor but never struck me as being an actual chud.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think they made the Ancient One non Asian due to the original kind of being a stereotype.

Plus China has pretty mixed relations with most of Asia.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

As far as I know Funimation's going to keep the same cast, but I dread the script they'd have to use.

Yep, Khara get to dictate the script exactly how they want it. Which is a translation by Japanese folks who aren't often completely fluent in the English language plus their desire for the project to be taken 100% seriously. It's a NO FUN ALLOWED zone when they screen the Eva movies.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

I have never played a Yakuza game in english.

Well, considering the first one's dub was absolutely atrocious due to having no idea how to translate AND zero voice direction...

The dub for 7/LAD is pretty drat good though it gets slightly jarring when characters from the old games show up and you're used to their Japanese voices.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The sad part is they did go back and fix the subtitles in the end.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/marysuewriter/status/1366286832057556992?s=19

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 1, 2021

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The author basing a character the show treats as heroic on a Japanese Imperial possible war criminal because he(the author) admires him is a bit of an oof but overall the show is definitely not pro fascist and actually quite anti-nationalist as well.

Edit: \/ oh certainly and that was a time where there were no "good guys" in the conflict as well.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 2, 2021

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
He was present during a massacre of Chinese citizens (though there's no evidence whether or not he actually took part) pre-WW2 which is why a lot of the hate against the author came from China and Korea.

Then you also look at Dot Pixis overall. The other characters treat him like a big hero but he's also kind of lazy on top of being a drunk and womanizer. He's not exactly a perfect paragon once the show fleshes him out.

The show definitely is clumsy with its allegories at points but like no more than a lot of comics are.

I can certainly see folks only seeing bits of the art of the franchise assuming it's fascist solely due to the stylings but that's certainly not what it actually is.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 2, 2021

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, James Rolfe is fine. I think his Ghostbusters 2016 review basically amounted to “I don’t think this is a good or funny movie, period” which is fair, it was pretty inoffensively mediocre all told, it just got swept up in the concurrent whirlwind of actually lovely people screaming “THIS MOVIE IS BAD BECAUSE WOMEN EXIST AND IT BURNS WHEN I PEE NOW”.

His video was literally "I'm simply not interested in the movie. The previews do not look great and if I'm going to watch a new Ghostbusters film I want one that connects to the old ones instead of this soft reboot."

It was the most harmless take but the culture warriors of both sides twisted it into something it wasn't.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
W3 was in nowhere near as bad of a shape as 2077 is though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

Only 30 minutes into the Cyberpunk video, but leave it to Noah to just completely cut through the bullshit discourse and get to the critical heart of the matter. Even if everything here was working as intended with no bugs and more focused gameplay, it still doesn't change the fact that the dystopia being presented is decades out of date at the point. It's just a buffet of classic cyberpunk themes and visuals without any attempt to actually update any of it for a modern audience who isn't even going to blink at a 20th century/early 21st century depiction of capitalism run amok. We're already loving living it.

It is intentionally going for an 80s version of cyberpunk. That was definitely a mistake outside of the pretty decent aesthetics.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

Also, you are a good boy and Mokie (sp?) is a good girl.

Not gonna lie, I did a double take the first time Mokie was mentioned in History Honeys since it's the usual short form of my online handle.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

What happened with Johnny Depp's court thing, I thought that whole thing ended with finding him being the one that was getting abused or something.

Basically it turned out they're both toxic abusive people.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
In one of her Twitter retcons, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

That thread, as well as that account are doing the work to dismantle that worthless, toxic notion that he's some sensible leftist when he's just a right wing grifter who is sensationalist, wrong, well, just awful.

The red flags were raised when he made up that racist nonsense about Muslims in London where Muslim immigrants supposedly created "no go zones" where drinking was banned, anyone white was beaten and women were raped by roving Muslim gangs.

And then it turned out he hadn't been to London at all in years.