Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I kinda dipped into watching medieval history and weaponry channels and I wish I had searched this thread for talk of Shadiversity before I started watching his channel after seeing it listed in the first post. That dude is an insufferable shithead.

Another channel I stumbled on - Wristwatch Revival - is great, however.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Skallagrim and Scholagladiatoria are enough for me with medieval stuff. Lindybeige when he gets on an entertaining tangent. Otherwise steer clear.

Yeah, I'm really liking Scholagladiatoria a lot. There are some videos where he is looking at museum pieces (on the museum's website) and talking about them that are really cool. An example of that was his video on poleaxes.

Skallagrim is alright but a lot of his videos are 2 hour long Q&As which aren't really what I'm looking for.

I also enjoy Jason Kingsley's content at ModernHistoryTV. The subject of one of his recent videos is a medieval hand cart he had made and he just seemed so enamored and smitten with it and the sound it made as it trundled along. :3:

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 19, 2022

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

yea I don't think Shadiversity is, like, the bad kind of lovely but boy is he just an insufferable bore. If you want fun sword/middle ages poo poo Skallagrim does his bit way better, and yea like said Scholagladitoria is good for actual analysis.

The dude's latest video is him complaining about the Youtube algorithm "censoring" him because of his political leanings and Christian beliefs while he has launched a second Youtube channel all about him buying a huge plot of land and building literal castles for himself.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Like isn't Shadiversity kinda racist. And by that I mean a huge loving racist who does not like people who aren't white? I seem to recall this dude (and his hangers on) don't like people who aren't white.

E:

Like going on an hour-long rant with his buddy about how a person of colour being cast in a fantasy TV show makes him big mad kinda racist.

He made some comments in a video about a Bollywood action movie with actors essentially wearing blackface to appear like wild barbarians or somesuch, praising them for not having a problem with it and saying how everyone is so sensitive about it elsewhere.

Dude is either racist or incredibly ignorant. Probably both.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Hel posted:

Does youtube still have the feature were you can just paste your script in and it tries to time it correctly? Because if it does, there really is no excuse not to have decent subs.

If it doesn't have this, it should. This is an incredible idea

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Yep, whenever I have to use someone else's computer or I've just re-installed Windows and am in the process of getting all my poo poo set back up, it's like an entirely different Internet out there.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I don't know if this is the place for it but I watch the channels NileRed/NileBlue and I remember on a podcast the guy says he makes sure to make noise during his videos for the "ASMR freaks" or something to that effect. This includes clinking of lab glassware and such. He's said he's had to do several takes of parts of videos to make sure to slide the beakers and flasks just right on table surfaces or make sure a flask is empty enough so the clink of the magnetic stir bar is audible on the video.

Anyhow, ever since I watched that podcast, I can't help but notice how loud he is with making racket and slamming doors and such.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Last I saw Shad was also building not one castle but multiple castles on a big plot of land and his viewers are dumb enough to fund it.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

The furtive Nioh...so easily forgotten. I know it isn't a From game but I never hear about it and I'm curious about y'all's opinions.

I'm bad at Souls games (I've only played and beaten DS1 and DS2) and Nioh was easy to kinda limp your way through so I had a lot of fun with it for the most part. Sekiro is very much the opposite of that so I doubt I'll ever give it a shot because, again, I'm bad.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 26, 2023

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

The looter shooter/diablo esque loot drop system with its little ticky tacky % bonuses and keyword effects and poo poo. It's pretty ignorable on base NG but you still end up with an assload of trash you need to dump after each mission.

I had forgotten about this part of Nioh. Yeah, I never interacted at all with that system nor the blacksmith that let you create weapons because there didn't seem like much point in it when I just found decent stuff and equipped what I found going through the game normally. I also didn't use the stance system all that much. I just liked whipping my kusarigama around at fools.

I remember the DLC being gently caress-off hard and I didn't even finish the first mission I don't think.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Losing out on 80% of my moveset because I can't be assed to learn the mechanics

That's right.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

The worst thing about DS2 is that it doesn't have cloud saves on PC and I've lost my save after doing nearly everything in the game twice now. Yes I know skill issue, git gud, etc. At least it means I get to play it again.

Not having cloud saves on Steam should be against the law.

So this actually is about online creators and not just furthering the Dark Souls derail, and kinda tie into a bunch of recent posts:

supergreatfriend is LP'ing that VR 7th Guest game that I didn't know existed. It still has the FMV ghosts but the video is 3-dimensional so it feels like they actually exist in 3D space as you walk around them and it seems really neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pu7QbcZuXw

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 27, 2023

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

is Skallagrim cool? Pretty much every HEMA/weapons guy on YouTube that isn’t Bluminec or Robinswords seems to be a dipshit chud who regularly rails against the Woke Mob Ruining Historical Accuracy and horseshit like that (shadiversity, etc)

Check out Matt Eastman of scholagladiatoria. I think he's alright and even cut ties with Shad over his bigoted views.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

YouTube is rife with/protects a ton of animal cruelty videos and what I can only assume are videos for gambling, etc involving animal fights set up under the flimsiest of “education” guidelines. It’s really hosed up

All those videos and bugfights is some real freak poo poo. I honestly can't believe any of that is allowed on the platform. There is no value in allowing it; it is pure cruelty.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

One of my favorite Youtubers released a video showing off a technique of visualizing movement in videos. Pretty neat and easy to do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSS6yAMZF78

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Sardonik posted:

Just give Larian the Mass Effect license

This and also the KOTOR license and combine them into one game

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

guy claims another is plagiarising his asmr walstad tank

Just wanna say that I love this sentence. Gonna use this when I diagnose a problem and I have no idea what I'm talking about and blame their ASMR walstad tank being busted for why someone's tractor won't get up and go or something.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 12, 2023

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

I think it might be this kind of thing?
https://youtu.be/sQBc85gg7HU?si=utywJSTF9tRU8BWd
But I like your usage too!

I skimmed through this and drat that's a lot more work than I thought it would be. I do love the look of them though. The end is legit heartbreaking seeing the tank dismantled and the faded outline of the tank on an empty table being all that remains of that lovely little ecosystem.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 12, 2023

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Every time y'all referenced a Neely, I thought you were talking about the Flash game guy whose games were in those Slowbeef and Diabetus videos.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

she also basically bragged about it

What in God's name is wrong with her

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Anyone else watch AtomicShrimp? Just a pleasant British feller making videos on whatever strikes his fancy: little electronics projects, rock tumbling, foraging for mushrooms, gardening, searching for fossils, cooking, or just going on walks or hikes and identifying plants, flowers, and critters all the while. I always love to see a new video from that dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipw02CdYwes

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 25, 2023

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

nerv isnt scared of the angels because they're wearing coats

lol

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I wish BardicBroadcasts still posted.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Triceratops and ankylosaurus are the loving coolest

edit: Vertigo from Primal Rage is also pretty dope. She had hypnosis powers. I bet those kind were unstoppable back in the day

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 29, 2023

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I found this Youtube channel of some people that still do the horror host schtick introducing movies of questionable quality with interstitial breaks/bits. (think Elvira or Joe Bob Briggs)

It's terribly cheesy but I'm glad there are people keeping that alive. Also, it got me to watch The Boneyard again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9H0OZBtL4U

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 31, 2023

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

She just did a two-part on Tales from the Crypt and got Bobcat Goldthwait (who starred in a notable ep) and John Kassir (the voice of the Crypt Keeper) on as guests.

Oh poo poo, thanks for this. I love Tales From the Crypt, Tales from the Darkside, Night Gallery, and all that jazz.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 1, 2024

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

I thought somebody here said he publicly broke with shad over right wing poo poo and was like way better or something. Or maybe that was the gladiator school dude and Skallagrim was one of the "women aren't meant to hold a sword" guys. IDK, I confuse all of those white european/commonwealth bearded/long haired sword nerds, they all look the same to me.

That was Matt Easton/scholagladiatoria who cut ties with Shad. Skallagrim has his wife help him show off weapons and weapons techniques so that's probably Shad again you're thinking of - not sure on that one. Not sure about the gun thing but skal does like guns though and Easton has also talked about moving to USA to have guns so that might just be all of them.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

More big YouTube sword guys than just shad were on the whole “wokes rewriting history”/“black people don’t belong in Middle Earth”/etc tip a few years ago

Oh that wouldn't surprise me at all. I only got into watching these channels in the middle of last year and have only watched Skallagrim, scholagladiatoria, and Tod's Workshop and haven't run into that sentiment but maybe it's in some older videos.

There is something incredibly lame about sword dudes also trying to talk about how much they are into guns, though. lol

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 1, 2024

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I stumbled upon this dude who makes music tracks to fit a specific theme. The videos are always short and hit the theme bang on. I just recently got into trying to make music so it's kind of amazing to me that people can just do this at will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPU7219B2H0

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 5, 2024

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

They shoulda made a buddy cop movie with Daniel Stern from C.H.U.D and called it Stern and Chud.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Ever wanted to watch someone 3D print a toilet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PKMT_m6wyw

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Mega Man Legends was (and is) good

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I just never saw what people saw in Braid so I'm going to say something that I can probably only say once: Soulja Boy was right.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 28, 2024

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Cave Story is one of the most perfect games ever made and it's time for me to do my semi-regular playthrough of it.

It even had a port on the GP2X that you bet your rear end I played through multiple times on that too.

edit: I just found out that the person that ported Cave Story to the GP2X is an Austrian teacher who was one of the lead programmers for Binding of Isaac, also ported Cave Story to the DS and did a bunch of ports of Nicalis' game Nightsky. All bangers

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 29, 2024

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Ivypls posted:

i don't WANT to be evil. i want to be nice. all my power fantasies are just helping people

Being kind and considerate is legit the most badass thing one can do

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

No one cared who I was until I put on the stache

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

So I think it still was sort of an adult comedy, but the kangaroo talks in like a drug trip scene so they made all the advertising around a talking kangaroo to fool kids into wanting to see it.

Do you mean to tell me that the Kangaroo doesn't talk the whole movie? What is this horseshirt?!

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I want to thank whoever it was in this thread that suggested the channel Quinn's Quest. I've always been fascinated with tabletop games but have always been on the periphery of them with friends that played but never actually playing them myself so I like having a channel that will give an overview of different ones and talk about why they are cool and worth playing or appreciating.

The Wildsea look pretty neat!

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 10, 2024

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Invader Zim was a documentary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

notches' legacy is the candy wall and the cheers at a GDQ turning to boos as the announcer finishes the sentence "a $10,000 donation from notch"

Awful chuds dissed quick