Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Mr.Radar posted:

Kyle Kallgren looks at what the 1980s film The Atomic Cafe says about the cultural impact of the 1950s atomic age and what that portends for today's situation, and also how this has all personally impacted Kyle. Warning: this one is an emotional rollercoaster to put it mildly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njDEf0OwCdA

This video is absolutely excellent. If you can stomach some heavy content then don't sleep on this one, it's intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

8one6 posted:

Well that's something I hadn't thought about in like a decade.

Are there any Youtubers who have done a Folding Ideas style video on [Foamy the Squirrel]?

Not quite youtube, but my podcast Flash In The Pan had a Two part special overview of the series, and how it's evolved over the many, many years. In hindsight I think we might have been a little too nice, somehow...

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

8one6 posted:

Just finished both of these and yeah, you folks might have been a bit nicer than he deserves.

I am going to now listen to the rest of your podcast because these two episodes were pretty good.

Well thank you very much, I hope you enjoy!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

SteelMentor posted:

Remember the Fanservice Fiesta guy

I'll never read the word "catgirls" without hearing him yell it in my mind's ear.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Terrible Opinions posted:

I find it funny that this turned out to actually be true for several Chinese theatre chains using it for money laundering, but never actually on Marvel movies. Those are poplar enough on their own. Nope the biggest offender for Chinese money laundering was the Warcraft movie.

Do you have any sources about this you'd recommend? I'm pretty fascinated by the churn of barely-tracked money around film distribution.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

NikkolasKing posted:

Also can we talk about podcasts here? Are you online creators?

I wanna listen to all these and maybe offer comments if you don't mind.

If this is a place for talking about podcasts, then this is where I mention that the p'cast I cohost, Flash In The Pan, has a new episode, a deep dive into the rise and abrupt finale of early webseries Bonus Stage: https://flashinthepancast.com/2021/09/15/episode-65-non-euclidean-joel-and-the-timecube-hullabaloo-feat-vilemoon/

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

The latest episode of the Flash In The Pan podcast features award-winning cartoonist and animator Hamish Steele, talking about some Weebl classics and his own early flash work. Also Gordon Ramsay eating poo poo. It's very classy.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

One more week til Hallowe'en, and Flash In The Pan has a returning guest to talk about spoooooooooky animations! This one was particularly fun, and the cartoons were both pretty dang good, too.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

fun hater posted:

i dont know how but we have to please do something about the ghoulishness of hollywood using modern tech to force your corpse to sing and dance long after you're dead and can't turn down a role

This is a major part of the excellent and underrated film The Congress, in which Robin Wright (best known for playing Princess Buttercup) signs away her digital likeness and later sees her digital self go on to become a big action star. Then things escalate.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

The Flash In The Pan Xmas special is live! We talk about holiday episodes from Eddsworld, Decline of Video Gaming, and On The Moon. And also a staggeringly racist music video. Fun times!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

The latest Flash In The Pan is a blast from the Bush Regime, with guest Hussein Kesvani from TrashFuture and Ten Thousand Posts. Featuring a cartoon so popular they watched it on the Space Station: https://twitter.com/FlashITPanCast/status/1478878809717944320

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Mr.Radar posted:

I've never heard of this channel before but this video popped up on my recommendations. It looks at how the absurdist humor series Charlie the Unicorn (specifically the finale that came out last year) has a lot to say about capitalism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-X-WxZnqx0

Oh wow, this is right up my alley. This will definitely help inspire more discussion when we get to covering the rest of Charlie on FITP.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Part 2 of the Flash In The Pan political Flash cartoon special is up, featuring Hussein Kesvani from TrashFuture and Ten Thousand Posts. This time we go deep into a relic from the aftermath of 9/11 and discuss everything from imperialism to cartoon boobs.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Okay, here are some cool cartoons: On the latest Flash In The Pan we talk about part 4 of There She Is!! and a classic Megaman fan-animation, Rockman NEO.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

There's a new episode of Flash In The Pan, featuring a cool special guest, a classic Legendary Frog cartoon, and shrieking anime blobs. Plus, a scavenger hunt!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Echoing the sentiments about falling off watching Babish. I did enjoy the miniseries he did with Sohla El-Waylly, but even that felt a little padded. Lately the only cooking channel I watch is Tasting History, and that's more for the history part than the cooking part. He's currently doing a month about food and life aboard the Titanic which I'm enjoying a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ3gqoAaHG8

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

The latest Flash In The Pan has special guest Terence Wiggins (aka @TheBlackNerd), and we talk about Teen Girl Squad and the early career of a major Internet figure. Plus have our first goatse appearance.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

For those interested in a deep, deep dive into Hamsteak, I highly recommend the ongoing read-and-analyse podcast Homestuck Made This World, featuring Cam and Michael from Ranged Touch. They use a lot of critical theory and the archived SA thread to chart the rise and infinite feature-creep of the comic, and how the fandom grew and changed, and how Hussie reacted to everything. It's pretty insightful and the pair aren't too shy to say "wow this sucks" or "this is really interesting".

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

grittyreboot posted:

So it's basically Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to the Lion King's Hamlet?

Yes - or the Lion King's Henry IV, as described in this classic BHH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=judjEmaTJAs

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

DeafNote posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd8Pg8q_2Qs

Brows Held High/Kyle with a new video on The Name of The Rose and Umberto Eco himself.

I really enjoyed this, having coincidentally finished the book recently. This video contains a great crash course on basic semiotics, then uses it to complicate the popular understanding of Eco's work on fascism, as well as drill down to the core ideas of the book, and Kyle gets some very good little jokes in too. I agree with the statement that movies need more weird gross old men.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Hey so the latest two parter of Flash In The Pan has special guest Brian Clevinger on to talk cartoons and webcomics! If anyone's into those things here.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

The new episode of Flash In The Pan features Eskimo Bob, bathroom humour and the edgiest 2000-era trenchcoat mafioso you're likely to see this month.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

I'd passed it off as a small "not for me" thing when it first debuted, but a few years later I saw that one of the main characters in the film Doctor Sleep had a RWBY poster on her bedroom wall and thought "Huh, I guess it's a Thing now". I suppose to a fictional nine-year-old it wouldn't seem so derivative.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

I would be content with a full half hour on Snail Maze, honestly. Jeremy Parish could make a washing machine instruction manual interesting.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Mercury Hat posted:

Excel Saga off Kazaa and I didn't understand a loving thing

One of the best things about the DVD releases was that they had an option for on-screen info boxes explaining all the puns and cultural references. It was really cool and I wish more localisations had this, even though it's a lot of extra effort.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4_S7UOFafo

New long video from Maraganger, on the style and art design of HYLICS.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Sardonik posted:

This is a great video. I really wish I could have gotten into Hylics but the lack of direction just didn't vibe with me. Same with Yume Nikki really. :sigh:

Hylics is definitely all about vibes. There are some fun numbers-go-up RPG elements but it's just a neat world to exist in for a few hours.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

My podcast Flash In The Pan recently hit episode 100, and we celebrated by watching every single episode of the Ctrl+Alt+Del Animated Series. Both seasons! We also went deep into the background context and reception of the cartoon, and the comic itself.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

The answer to "Why????" is because we had a critical mass of listener requests for it, and we wanted to do something special for the big hundo. Also because covering the Looking For Group music video last year left us with some leftover behind-the-scenes info on Blind Ferret Productions and the CAD connection just made sense!

Hope you enjoy if you do listen!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

tinaun posted:

do you want to watch an 80 minute video on olympic mascots? course you do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsH708lC6fE

Don't miss this one, it's equal parts informative, entertaining, strange and surprising. Graham is such a cool person in general honestly.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Arc Hammer posted:

I didn't realize Graham was still doing videos. I remember watching Loading Ready Run and thr Unskippable series over ten years ago.

LRR and Desert Bus For Hope are still very much active! A full week of scheduled and irregular streams of games and regular releases of other comedy stuff like their monthly variety show LoadingReadyLIVE. Great community too.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Did somebody say NINJAS? How about repackaging an unfinished adaptation of one of the most famous ninja stories of the 20th century and selling it as a sequel to Ninja Scroll? No? Well, there's a new KaiserBeamz about just that.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Absolutely the best version. Did Moriarty ever have a henchman horribly devoured? Did Sherlock ever have to tangle with a robotic Queen Victoria? Exactly.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Nuns with Guns posted:

I still love the story about how that movie was originally going to be called "Basil of Baker Street" just like the book series it's based on, but Michael Eisner said that the movie title sucked, was "too English" and it should make the premise more obvious. So the name was adjusted to "The Great Mouse Detective" which all of the creative teams loving hated.

So someone sent this jokey memo around the animation studio:

Tag yourself, I'm The Wonderful Elephant Who Could Really Fly

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Still waiting for Todd to do O Superman....

While you're waiting, there's a cool book about Laurie Anderson's work that came out recently!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Mr Interweb posted:

....oh. i see. i recalled that he supported GG in the very beginning, but unlike every other GG'er, he seemed like he actually believed in the "ethics in games journalism" thing. at least, that's the impression i got when he was interviewed by David Pakman, and didn't mention anything about women, minorities or SJWs at the time. i thought he left that sphere once it became clear what GG was actually about

He never addressed his role in the GG awfulness, and refused to apologise for any of his actions. He chose a pretty rotten way to spend his last years.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

I'm so glad that Helldump and its associated awfulness are for the most part gone from this site. In researching for the recent FITP special on the Ctrl+Alt+Del animated series, the "best" source of contemporary information was the SA mock thread, and it was so much work sifting through the heinous stalker awfulness to get a proper picture of Buckley's career and profile at the time. The "this person is weird, let's destroy their life" thing was already normalised by then but it continued to metastasise in the ugliest ways until the gamification of abuse became just A Hobby Some People Have. It's awful and we will never know how many people's lives were ruined - if not ended prematurely - by doxxing, harassment campaigns, etc.

A number of goons or ex-goons I've known have talked about being ashamed of how they participated in internet-detective crap back in the day. So that's at least a little encouraging?

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

You know, when I was lurking that thread at the time, I probably thought it was weird and creepy but justified in the name of point-and-laugh fun. And then I grew up a little and realised "Hrmm this seems a bit much"

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Captain Theron posted:

I've never understood this, do people just never look at their subscription tab? It has everything the people you follow post, in chronological order! Why let a computer decide what you watch?

A huge number of people simply do not look at anything other than their main feed, on any website. YouTube, Instagram, whatever it is, they either assume they're being given content they want, or don't care enough to change the habit. Never overestimate people's willingness to make a small change in their tech habits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

TomSka's new video is about plagiarism! He talks a lot about his own work, influences, allusion, and discusses the people he's ripped off and the people who have ripped him off. It's not half bad! https://youtu.be/5qoOYrTzOfM?si=tXQC_7FRWja8CXyQ