Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
but why is it called breadtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo I saw that video in my Youtube homepage but I didn't connect the name or realize it was there because I was subscribed to him.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

lobster22221 posted:

Is there a youtube channel, but its just elaborate rube goldberg machines? Preferably without dead children.

Sprice Machines is good for breathtakingly long setups using household elements.

https://youtu.be/7VODC7nFrYs

Kaplamino is also a favorite of mine. Much shorter tabletop setups, but they also use some really risky tricks, sometimes even involving fire.

https://youtu.be/yldlBIZeQ2w

And even though I’d say marble machines are distinctly different from Rube Goldberg machines, I’d feel remiss if I didn’t mention Wintergatan, who made a musical marble machine 4 years ago and since then has spent all his time working on a new version of the machine that’s robust enough to take on tour.

https://youtu.be/IvUU8joBb1Q

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ariong posted:

THAT’S what “mutual” means? Jesus christ! Based on how people use it I thought it was a synonym for “friend” or “colleague” or at the very least “person that I know.” Why are people using a term that means “someone who follows a person on Twitter that I also follow” that way? That’s horrible.

It's an important enough thing that you kinda need a term for it, and "mutual" is impersonal enough that it doesn't imply actual friendship or the like.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

If you cut out all the prologue poo poo from Fallout 4 and it just opened with you being mysteriously de-thawed from cryo, had a little tutorial area in the vault where you find some audiologs or books that set up some mystery around why you were unfrozen, and then kicked you out into the wasteland to explore, I doubt the average player is any less compelled to do so than they otherwise would be with the stolen baby plot.

While I do think this would be a lot better, it also makes me think of RAGE's absurd opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLfVz4zbSsk

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
It was probably a good thing that Overwatch never really delved into its story because then it'd have to contend with how many of its "good" heroes were horrendously bigoted against robot people.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

Is Mega64 the guy with nine Final Fantasy LPs or is that... A different Mega64?

That is indeed a different Mega64.

That derail was extra silly because even if you remember Mega64, it's a really different style of Rocco's more personal stuff, which is more of a blending of sincerity and comedy. Like, I'm pretty sure he actually does love going to Disneyland and the news is probably a bummer to him, but he makes a bit out of it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

James Rolfe plays his 3 year old's Mario Maker levels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAp6aFUbiI

Fantastic. The one she didn't even start because I assume she was immediately distracted by something else is the most little kid thing ever.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
There's no way to turn of autoplay for playlists I'm pretty sure, and I don't think that's the only place where that brilliant innovation shows up.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

For all content creators who want more viewers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej0Kijd4_4Q

Welp that explains why I saw community posts become more and more popular in the past couple months. Including from people I never watched a single video of.

E: lol god drat

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 25, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

DelilahFlowers posted:

Wish it was megabattie's post that blew up.

There's like a whole group of old Australian ladies that care for bats and for as much as we rightfully rip on Youtube's algorithm, I at least appreciate it for consistently correctly assuming I like their bat videos even when I go weeks without watching one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8hbn8sMOsU

What's especially great about bat care videos is that they will acclimate to the wild even after being raised and babied by humans, so there isn't that darkside of most wild animal raising videos where the animal is stuck in that unnatural position for life.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 26, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Let's Game it Out started streaming recently and he has a very appropriate channel point reward:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

Cool concept and the guy seems to know what he was doing, but man it was hard not to cringe at the bits where he's all "yeah this laser is extremely dangerous and it's a terrible idea to use it for cosmetic purposes. Anyway, now I'll try it out on my own skin." :stare:

ElectroBOOM really changed the safety awareness game forever.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Real-Time FanDub makes its return with part 1 of Until Dawn. Alfred (who voiced Eggman in the previous ones) sadly isn’t present because of his hospital stay, but this is the first dub with Holly from WayneRadio’s crew joining the team, and she’s perfectly cast as the psychiatrist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgUrdk39X-I

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 2, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

SteelMentor posted:

Excited for this, didn't much care for the Sonic Riders one as it felt like they had little content to work from even after mashing together 2-3 games and were really just hammering in jokes that didn't work, but a more cinematic game might be good fodder for them.

It feels like for them it's less a matter of riff source but that it all comes down to how lucky they are with whatever running jokes and character traits tumble out of their mouths. The Sly Cooper one is 90% Bentley explaining things to Sly and yet we got gold like "Benjamin Franklin and George Washington were lesbian lovers" out of it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've seen a bit of wayneradiotv's stuff, and his Toreba Crane Game stream is an amazing multi-hour saga to get a prize. It's amazing watching that Yeast Ken finally drop :suspense:

My favorite WayneRadio thing is the AI cooking stream where he actually cooked the batshit recipes Talk To Transformer spits out. It's only an unofficial edit, though - I really wish his streams got more edits, it's kinda shocking how few there are, even after Half Life AI and the fax stream got crazy pull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEpp5gHAZeU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ruggington has started posting out of context anime clips again and holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPZ3U6Budu0

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Cap staying back in time to be with Peggy was hilarious to me because it was 100% exactly what the CD poster Rhyno kept saying should happen.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tonfa posted:

:shrug: You just can't save people from themselves. Chase that direction far enough and it's like that one indie game that blur censored the villain's face so no one would find him hot.

Tragically, giving your villain a distinctively unusual head is the fastest way to get people to sexify him.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Precisely 3 years after their first episode, the Shrieking Shack podcast has finally completed their readthrough/critique of the Harry Potter series.

https://twitter.com/shriekcast/status/1368969765843136513

If you want to listen to two ex-megafans rip mercilessly into Harry Potter I thoroughly recommend it. The books are far more bizarre and terrible than I'd remembered them - halfway through the series it becomes obvious JK has thoroughly stopped caring about the light, comedic story she's actually decent at and instead used it as a way to fulfill her true dream of writing stupid detective stories about Great Man Albus Dumbledore versus psycho child killers. The hosts are fantastic when it comes to making fun of everything to do with Harry Potter, but also when they need to have a serious discussion about the numerous heinous things JK has done over the years (and they started the podcast out knowing she was a TERF so there's thankfully no Rowling praise or anything).

This is the only podcast I've actually listened to every single episode of. I'm excited for what they'll do next.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dias posted:

I fell off super hard after Deathly Hallows 1 (well, more like after Half-Blood Prince, to be honest), so I sympathize with that feeling. Kinda wonder what their takes were on the first three or four books, I've been meaning to reread them since I haven't touched any HP stuff since forever and a half.

They liked Prisoner of Azkaban as much as they were expecting to, but they were surprised by how much they enjoyed the first book, as it's genuinely the funniest of the series and Ron is actually a likable character. Chamber of Secrets on the other hand they are really down on, partly because it kicked off the whole House Elf thing.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mr Phillby posted:

Yeah I already listened to the first episode and its a refisit from a pair of fans who fell out of love with the series long before Rowling went full TERF. The fact they have a personal relationship with the series that has changed over time is what makes it interesting to me.

I made the comment about negativity because I listen to a lot of bad movie/book/media podcasts and while most are self aware about it I do worry that its maybe not the healthiest way to live my life so I've been trying to add some more positive stuff is all.

It helps that they love trashy media so a lot of the negativity comes across as bemused ribbing (unless the chapter they read is heinous enough to deserve actual hate). Like, they'll laugh at the books doing a "Hagrid's hut clusterfuck" where a million important characters just randomly show up in Hagrid's hut to talk about the plot, but they're clearly very happy the books are often just bizarre nonsense. Snape being the embodiment of this, since he's a delightfully catty bitch who invented the sword spell and can fly with zero explanation and generally makes the story much more entertaining every time he is on the page. They also still love the fandom itself in all its goofiness, so almost all of the second segments are good fun, like their long efforts to make a convincing-enough fake redditor to get invited to the private Slitherin subreddit, and their love of how genuinely cool it ended up being.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 9, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

These are the Three Bad Guy spells, they are forbidden and you will go to prison for the rest of your life if you attempt to use them. Now it's time to show you how to make love potions and time machines.

Also we'll use them on people a whole lot but it's okay because we're the good guys.

RareAcumen posted:

I just feel like suggesting a good book as well would be an improvement. I don't trust any superfans to pick out anything good.

Hell I'd accept joke answers like The Magic School Bus even.

They read other books in their Patreon-exclusive episodes! Like A Thousand Perfect Notes and The Fault in Our Stars :v:

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 10, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Worth mentioning that while the books don't have the Star of David in the bank, they DO explain how every single goblin has no concept of ownership and they see any gift as an extended loan, and we also see the most important goblin character take delight from seeing children get hurt. So. Oof.

Sydin posted:

Don't forget that Dumbledore just absolutely trounces Voldemort in their brief duel in OotP, to the point that Voldemort freaks out and has to resort to using Harry as a human shield in order to get away. If it weren't for the dumb Horcrux bullshit the solution to the whole Voldemort issue is Dumbledore and maybe a couple really good Aurors cornering him and blasting his rear end.

We literally never see Voldemort win a single battle, it's honestly breathtaking how hilariously inept he is. He loses to a literal baby, then immediately after he gets reborn he gets shown up in a duel by that same child, and then when he finally actually manages to "kill" that child, he immediately falls unconscious in front of all his minions lmao.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nuns with Guns posted:

Even icing them offscreen isn't theoretically a bad way of showing the toll of the war. The problem is they already spent most of their time and had the majority of their major character moments offscreen, so it was like periodically walking in on a couple in the bathroom... except the last time you walk in on them they're dead on the floor.
...you know, this sorta made me realize that just about every single death in Harry Potter either happens offscreen or instantaneously. JK's love of the 'war is hell' sudden-death trope completely mopped the floor with 'dramatic dying words', huh. The only exceptions I can think of are Snape and Dobby, which is hilarious because they're both easily the Shrieking Shack hosts' favorite characters.

Violet_Sky posted:

Tonks did awaken some non-binary people IIRC
As you could say about basically every single aspect, the fandom did more to develop the character than JK did.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Shinji2015 posted:

Okay, I haven't heard of Geeks + Gamers before, but I'm gonna assume that they're some transphobic Gamergate group

You might recognize them from their famous guest appearance

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
James Stephanie Sterling's channel is on the brink of deletion because of one guy's false copyright claim spree:

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/1372619139039305731

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I could be completely wrong on this but I remember "Anti" originally describing the kind of people who will rain hell down on, like, teenage Reylo shippers, and pro-shipper came out as a counter to that, except then it widened to include incest/pedo ships and now anti has a veneer of correctness to it even though it originally started as a term for lovely people. I don't think these terms were ever really set in stone, so again, I might be very off there, but I really feel like antis are not a good thing, even if proshippers are worse.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
For a moment there I thought "try guy" was a new term for a long-form Youtuber.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

dmboogie posted:

i dont care about kubrick one way or another but the line of thought that leads to including a gang of violent rapists as a fun 'i recognize that thing!!!' cameo in a dumb family movie makes me very depressed

Don't worry, they cut out Pepe Le Pew, so they're even. :shepface:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Just read Problem Sleuth instead.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Lina wrote her own account, too:

https://twitter.com/AlinaIsYou/status/1385338889213251585

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I really appreciate Siivagunner but they upload so many videos that actually following them isn't feasible for me. I prefer to just let the best stuff rise to the top via cultural osmosis, like the version of Dancing Mad that was twisted to be in reversed stylistic order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZypvxG0vJiA

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Not content with becoming the lead designer of Musescore, Tantacrul just became the manager of Audacity. It's crazy how quickly he went from ragging on music software design to being able to put his money where his mouth is. Audacity's interface has always felt fairly clunky to me so I'm really excited about that. His video is about that but mostly just a general look at the pleasant history of Audacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMWNvwLiXIQ

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

KingKalamari posted:

For me the big reason the Matrix sequels weren't as enjoyable as the original was because the philosophical ideas they dealt with were less interesting to me than those of the original. It sort of shifted its focus away from Baudrillard and The Platonic Cave and into what I felt was much more run-of-the-mill themes of predetermination and the whole "Chosen one" archetype.

Also, while looking up the two sequels on Wikipedia to refresh my memory of them I noticed that the "See Also" section for Reloaded only included two items: "Simulated Reality" and "List of films featuring powered exoskeletons"?

That unbearably smarmy guy acting like he's a genius for saying the most obvious poo poo about cause and effect made my drat eyes roll out of my skull.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Even though Detroit reigned Cage in it still turns to complete poo poo at the end as usual. The Men Drinking Coffee made the best statement on it: it’s not using robots to make a statement about racism and the holocaust, it’s using race rights movements and holocaust imagery to make a statement about robots.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

I've heard that idea before, but I think they just dragged her rear end all through the forest ultimately, which is still drat.

Nope:

quote:

All six of them looked around. Professor Umbridge was lying in a bed opposite them, gazing up at the ceiling. Dumbledore had strode alone into the Forest to rescue her from the centaurs; how he had done it--how he had emerged from the trees supporting Professor Umbridge without so much as a scratch on him--nobody knew, and Umbridge was certainly not telling. Since she had returned to the castle she had not, as far as any of them knew, uttered a single word. Nobody really knew what was wrong with her, either. Her usually neat mousy hair was very untidy and there were still bits of twigs and leaves in it, but otherwise she seemed to be quite unscathed.

'Madam Pomfrey says she's just in shock,' whispered Hermione.

'Sulking, more like,' said Ginny.

'Yeah, she shows signs of life if you do this,' said Ron, and with his tongue he made soft clip-clopping noises. Umbridge sat bolt upright, looking around wildly.

'Anything wrong, Professor?' called Madam Pomfrey, poking her head around her office door.

'No ... no ...' said Umbridge, sinking back into her pillows. 'No, I must have been dreaming ...'

Hermione and Ginny muffled their laughter in the bedclothes.

You really can't blame people for assuming the worst here. Why on Earth are people still playing devil's advocate for Rowling.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 13, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Quinton's best videos are his 3-part series on the History channel and those are fantastically paced, barely wasting any time or going overly long. The only one that gets even close to a full hour is the one on nazi documentaries and that deserves it for its fantastic payoff. Maybe the closer he gets to his Nicktoons comfort area the more rambling he gets.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Roko's Basilisk is disturbing when you only know about the vague concept of it, as in any sort of "Inventing Hell" scenario. Knowing the actual absurd logic in the original post, like how it's apparently a loving benevolent AI that's doing this, just makes the whole thing laughable. So it's nice to have that dealt with. Now I hope someone does that with all the other things on the internet that give me existential dread if I remember them. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
DaThings with an absolute masterclass youtube poop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn7xBtTTPT4

I'm swamped.

...fire swamped.