Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I wanna talk about ______ Works!

Jeremy Parish is a guy who is cataloging old Nintendo games (and recently lots of end-stage Atari games from like, the Lynx and 7800 and such) going through each of the games, providing captured footage and talking about the history of the game, which range from the games that everyone is familiar with (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc) and the games that have been forgotten to time (Chubby Cherub???). I dived through a good portion of his channel during the pandemic and he's still regularly releasing videos, and at the end of each series he publishes books with high-quality pictures of the hardware/carts and the information from the videos that all look very nice. If you're into retro gaming, especially Nintendo, this is the series for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qUZ6uNN_t8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvrzESikyTw

I'll also rep for a slightly smaller channel that I watch as regularly as he puts things out: Diamond Axe Studios. The first video of his was a compilation of Todd in the Shadows' incredibly wrong predictions over the decade of his videos (it comes from a place of love, you can tell that Todd is who he has modeled his videos after), and he does a lot of the same sort of pop music stuff, switching between ranking classic billboard lists and current music, plus some grab bag reviews suggested by Patreon subscribers. Sometimes when he's talking about things he really doesn't like he has a tendency to go into moralizing that I'm not always a fan of (oh man whenever he talks about Lil Wayne my butthole clenches) but he's really good at talking about music that he likes, even when it's something that isn't necessarily popular (his most recent video had a very good defense of a Lewis Capaldi song, which surprised me because Lewis Capaldi is terrible but he was able to compare it to the other Lewis Capaldi song that everyone rightfully hates and show why this one is different and better)

Here's his newest 2020 hits video, it's largely positive and a good look into the state of pop music of the moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYCEaIEAfI0

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

What is Use Fu Block Cking Tube?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Terrible Opinions posted:

Alright got back and was able to read this. So I think you're greivously misreading the titke of Dan's video. It's probably referencing the Gulf War piece. Given the parentheses around the word (not) it's a pretty obvious reference to the titles of the Evangelion rebuild movies that all have (not) in the title and are intended to be read both ways, and actually works with his closing statement of the Snyder Cut both existing and not existing. Whereas there is no evocation of an elaborate fiction to justify an unpopular action that you would expect if a reference to Baudrillard's piece of intention. In fact the only reason for a cut being approved presented in the video was a popular market demand. Similarly his tweets used as evidence of some anger at Snyder are just pointing out that WB is betting a lot on this, a lot more than one would have previously expected. Then the full thread speculates that this is caused by AT&T's previous bad business decisions (nothing to do with Snyder) putting them in a place where they need big wins or else they're gonna be in trouble

I think caring about how much a movie costs is largely silly but it should also be noted that most of the actual money-related decisions from WB about ZSJL have come after the pandemic started, which means that the people in charge were making them in a world of constant flux where no one knows where movies will be in 3 months or when things will get back to normal.

my personal theory is that WB gave it the thumbs up in February as something they could use to get some press and get a small passionate group of fans to subscribe to their streaming service which was already a little lacking in content. When everything exploded they panicked and started shoveling more money at it in the hopes that building off of something that already existed would be easier than filming movies that haven't gone beyond pre-production.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Nuns with Guns posted:

Like Doctor Spaceman said, The Little Mermaid is on their slate, still, and a live action Lilo and Stitch is filming right now. Then I think all that's left are the C-tier Disney Renaissance things like Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, and Tarzan, or the post-renaissance stuff like Moana and Frozen. Maybe The Black Cauldron, but a lot of people would be surprised that's even a live action remake.

I am ready to firebomb Walt Disney Studios if they gently caress up that Lilo and Stitch movie. I feel like there's no way for it to be good.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

You can always pick and choose what parts of his recipe you want. I’m probably gonna make that Bolognese recipe this weekend but definitely not my own pasta, it will be just fine with a good dry pasta

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I’ve spent the last few days watching basically every video made by Liam Robertson and I wanted to post in here about it because I think they’re really stellar if you have even a mild interest in game dev stories or games that never got released

https://youtu.be/GF3cqKxfxaw

Basically Liam is part of the Unseen 64 team, who have been around for a long-rear end time on the internet (to put it in perspective, their name was fairly contemporary when then came up with it) and for their entire existence they’ve been writing about unreleased games. They’re notable because they do lots of interviews with devs both past and present, and since no one is really telling stories like these they tend to get some wild scoops and crazy access to prototypes and old design docs, generally just by asking around. They’ve had particularly great access to Rare and Factor 5 over the years, with the former being their original claim to fame as they posted about all sorts of rare Rare stories in the early 2000s, and with the latter, the videos Liam made essentially tell the entire story of Factor 5’s demise through the games they didn’t get to make, complete with comments from heads of the studio.

Their website is filled with 20 years worth of stories, and they’re still going, they have a Patreon that will grant access to a very well done book full of stories and pictures of prototypes and concept art, plus they still post fairly often about new finds, but man their back catalog is cool. Stories about Earthbound 64, early betas of RE2 and RE4, Eternal Darkness, Too Human, all sorts of stuff. It’s some of my favorite games journalism because so much of what exists now looks at what’s next or what was successful, but no one is really delving into all of the work that devs do that never gets seen, and there are so many stories out there that are only not being told because there’s not an outlet.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

the first thing I ever saw of his was his Amazing Spider-Man review and it was terrible and I have hated him ever since

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Mr Phillby posted:

My first bob vid was about spiderman too. He spoke at length about how he thought the next spiderman film should guest star Tobey Maguire as Tom Holland's secret mentor and retroactively make the Sam Rami movies MCU cannon.

Man that sounds dumb but if Into the Spiderverse 2 featured a live action Tobey Maguire spiderman in an otherwise completely animated movie I would see it 5 times so what do I know.

I'm fairly certain they're bringing in people from other Spider-verses in the sequel to Far From Home, given that they've cast Jamie Foxx as Electro and Dr. Strange shows up.

so he's right in very broad strokes but his idea is still really dumb

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Kim Justice posted:

A different bluetick to mock:

https://twitter.com/Casey/status/1333194058374602752

Man who makes fortune off the Internet thinks that actually its all bullshit and fighting in WW1 and 2 would be way better.

This is how out of touch with reality some big YouTubers are.

everyone knows that being born in the early 1990s is the best, you get to enjoy all of the good media from the previous century, plus everything that pops up during the first 50 or so years of your lifetime and then when climate change starts to really affect the world, you die and don't have to watch future generations struggle against the collective weight of decisions made years before they even came into existence

win-win!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I generally chaulk up any negative claims about Brown to propaganda, because of the literal 100+ years trying to claim he was mentally ill/evil by the descendants of the evil people he tried to kill.

The impression I’ve gotten from more modern retelling of his story is that he’s not an rear end in a top hat, he’s just got the seriousness of a very devout Christian, but instead of one of the many devout Christians that spends all their time these days actively trying to take rights away from people, he was trying to get rights back for people. He was a man with absolute belief in his convictions and very little desire to gently caress with people who thought he was wrong.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Spark That Bled posted:

I've watched both Todd and Fantano's worst songs of 2020 lists, and I find it funny that both of them have put different versions of the same song at the top of their lists.

It is bleakly remarkable that Justin Bieber could have so many songs on a Worst of 2020 list for such varied reasons. It’s not just that they’re poorly made and conceived generally, but each of them is poorly conceived in a slightly different way.

*One’s about being a wife who loves Jesus (featuring the other most notable Jesus-y wife guy, Chance the Rapper, who spent 2020 repeatedly getting owned on Twitter)
*One’s about being a wife guy, released with a video and tone so cynical that it could make Drake look sincere
*One’s about being a wife guy that has the most grossly catchy chorus in many many moons that just makes me want to take a shower even thinking about it
*One is about how sad Justin Bieber is and how hard it is to be famous when you’re a piece of poo poo
*One tried to be a charity single raising money during the pandemic but was just wildly tonedeaf and painted staying home during the lockdowns as a fun staycation.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Srice posted:

https://youtu.be/xb-DtICmPTY

Tim Rogers put out a six hour long(!) review/documentary/LP video on Tokimeki Memorial. Looking forward to watching this over the course of a week haha. It's gonna rule.

I’m always down with Tim Rogers but if you have no idea what Tokimeki Memorial is, or you have a vague idea but that only confuses you more, this article (by Tom James) is a really good initial look into why these games are so important even if they’ve never made their way to the US. I read it a few months ago when Tim first started talking about this video and I went from “uh w/e ok” to legit hyped.

Also don’t feel like you have to watch it all at once. I wonder if this “just make one giant video” strat is better or worse for views/money.
https://twitter.com/108/status/1345071788808687616?s=21

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 1, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Jamie Faith posted:

New One Hit Wonderland!

"Whoomp! There It Is" by Tag Team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQfLFuEb4E4&ab_channel=ToddintheShadows

I know this is about his previous video but I think Todd broke his record time from saying something to that something being proven wrong when he made a Morgan Wallen song his top track of the year

He ought to go back to using his wrongness powers for good, like when he said Bruno Mars and The Weeknd weren’t very good and then they went out and got awesome

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

They were going to do an episode the Bullshit About Bullshit that went over all the stuff they got wrong as a series finale but the show was canceled. Always been curious what they would've said they got wrong.

Adam Ruins Everything, the superior and more internet-creator-adjacent show about debunking poo poo, actually did do an episode entitled “Adam Ruins Himself” as their finale where it mentions mistakes, biases, and advertiser input during the creation of the show as sort of a coda. The show in general is also just way better than Bullshit because Conover is not an insufferable atheist-libertarian, he’s an insufferable leftist.

edit: also South Park is definitely responsible for an increase in anti-semitism among white kids roughly my age (probably at least 5 years in either direction, so 24-34). I honestly don’t know what other explanation there would be for it. Obviously it’s not the only reason it’s had a resurgence but I don’t think “Jew” would be a pejorative with nearly the frequency it has been over the last 20 years without Eric Cartman. And it doesn’t stop there either; there’s a whole episode where Cartman is making nonstop jokes about “Jew gold” and the entire time Kyle is just like “shut up that’s not a thing” and then at the episode Kyle saves everyone by giving up his secret Jew gold, and the moral of the story is “we get to make up stereotypes now because no one is gonna stop us”

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 23, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

grittyreboot posted:

I think they count as derails because it's the same people making the same points on the same topics at least once a week

I think that there are some conversations that truly do come up too often but I also think that this thread occasionally tries to veer too hard away from any sort of conflict by calling extended discussions where not everyone agrees “derails” which seems kind of weird because this is a thread about new media and criticism, which sort of breeds (the good kind of) conflict in its nature

Conflict is cool and good in this case. I liked that discussion about Attack on Titan because I don’t watch the show and my vague knowledge about it consisted entirely of “getting very popular in the US” and “maybe fashy?” and it’s good to hear from people who both like and didn’t like it because it gave me a better understanding of it, even if I haven’t watched it. Ditto the conversation about depiction of violent lifestyles. It’s a conversation as old as art itself but just because it’s old doesn’t mean it’s not worth discussing in here because not everyone has the same experience with it. Someone who grew up watching them with someone who took the “cool” parts of Goodfellas uncritically will have a different opinion than someone who never saw a Scorsese until they were older and were able to immediately peg what he was doing, and that’s great.

We shouldn’t be afraid of conflict as long as it’s productive and no one is being an rear end in a top hat. It’s kinda hard to grok tone on the internet but as long as no one is actively attacking someone personally I think we shouldn’t try to stifle it. If you really have nothing to say or don’t want to get involved, just post another video. The nice thing about this very dead format of communication is that it’s way easier to have multiple long-form conversations without it getting too confusing.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Todd is like 95% right about British hip-hop but there is one Brit who truly had a hand in the evolution of rap as a storytelling medium

https://youtu.be/OPyl1DHeQGQ

https://youtu.be/HjNTu8jdukA

Also without Children’s Story, one of those other songs he cited as the best R&B jam of the 1990s would not exist

although both The Mack and Montell Jordan do not touch the majesty of No Diggity, the actual best R&B song of the 1990s

Edit: oh my god when you search for No Diggity on YT after the song itself and a lyric video it’s nothing but corny white people covering the song (and one k-pop song with No Diggity in the title)

The second page has literally Prince himself playing it live on stage but the first page is white beatboxers, Anna Kendrick, a fancily dressed country band, a fancily dressed jug band, soft acoustic boys and Ed Sheeran (but I repeat myself)

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 3, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Mr.Radar posted:

Anthony Fantano shares his thoughts on the TikTok drama over the female punk(?) trio "The Tramp Stamps":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STHMZ49xRMU

I like this video a lot and it’s very fair to the band but also the people in this band have the soul of posters and god dammit they’re not giving up without a fight, even when they really should

https://twitter.com/devitameatball/status/1382798492716969984?s=21

https://twitter.com/stampshatepage/status/1383927430880980996?s=21

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 22, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Everybody knows that the best thing about Star Wars is how loosey-goosey they're built. No plans ahead of time, no massive plot bible, no constant revision for years and years before a trilogy gets made, no 9-part outline from the 1970s written by the story's original creator

One day in 1976 George Lucas woke up and said "you know, I think I'll make some science-fiction today", and with absolutely no forethought, made Star Wars, released exactly 1 year later. And then he didn't think about Star Wars again until 1979.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I am Tim Rogers’ audience, for whatever reason his loquaciousness and rambling about personal poo poo resonates with me. I only started actually watching his videos towards the end of his time at Kotaku but a lot of the older stuff has a very embarrassing vibe but I think he also would say that. Clearly anyone who moves to Japan on their own for Video Games at 21 is gonna be an odd nut, but in the Last of Us video he talks about having built a massive collection of games twice and having to let those things go when he moved both to and from Japan which illustrates how he’s changed the way he feels about games.

I like the critical framework he uses to talk about games. He doesn’t try to make any sort of objective measures for a game’s quality (which doesn’t mean that there’s no numerical analysis), he understands that each individual approaches a game from a different context and explains the context from which he approaches them (and the historical context the game exists in as well) with great detail. He doesn’t focus solely on how the story is, how the game plays or how much game there is, but looks at the whole project and how things work together.

There was that era where many people who played video games were really fixated on getting people to believe that they’re art which is a losing proposition. They only did that because they felt their hobby was somehow seen as delegitimate and not because they actually wanted a more rigorous critique of the things they play. Game criticism has had a few different eras but all of them have been pretty flawed, mostly because for so long the only mechanism for distributing that criticism was through magazines that were ultimately just glorified ads for video games, and there was rarely enough space given to actual criticism. His videos are the most Actual Criticism of games that I’ve seen. I think the video format fits game analysis better than the written word because so much of what makes up a game is visual, but otherwise it’s like the video game equivalent of a Cahiers du Cinéma in that it’s a work made by a fan and creator that takes criticism more seriously as the form develops.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Jamie Faith posted:

New Cosmonaut Marcus!

"Why I Hate Live-Action Anime Adaptations"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9I-s2UwxZk&t=181s

I clicked on this video and it’s just a guy saying “because they alllllllll suck” and then staring unblinking at the camera for a quarter of an hour

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Somehow they conveniently forgot the events of the second game and Minerva 's den ? Which would be interesting to explore but it smacks so much of "we don't want to acknowledge Team B' s work even though people recognized it having the superior game play (and in Minerva 's case, story) to the first game" its hard to ignore

It was Ken Levine throwing a hissy that someone else played with his toys

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

So still "both sides bad", but at least in this case "both sides" are capitalism and fascism, so it looks like Levine finally got one right... by accident.

That isn’t Levine, he massively downsized his studio a few years after Infinite and has spent the last however long trying to make something, of which all we have heard about is that he used the phrase “narrative lego”

Take-Two has spent just as much time taking pitches for whatever the next Bioshock thing will be. Cloud Chamber is the latest studio to get their hands on it, it was created in the same area that 2K Marin was in with a few heads from that studio but it is still gonna be years before anything pops up from them

edit: I always thought that the coolest idea that would feel of a piece with Rapture and Columbia would be a city built into a mountain or a hollow earth situation

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 5, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I haven’t watched Defunctland in a while but I sat down and watched some of the Season 3 episodes tonight and it still amazes me how high-quality they are. It’s easily as good as many documentary shows or films I’ve seen and the length would have made it a perfect TV show

In particular I watched the episode about EPCOT, because it’s one of the most complicated parts of Disney’s legacy

https://youtu.be/tKYEXjMlKKQ

I’ve spent most of my life visiting Disney World on the reg and reading about the man and watching and visiting and engaging with his life’s work, and EPCOT as a true City of Tomorrow is one of those things that is very heavily mythologized, and as I’ve aged I’ve come to see it differently. When I was young I could see the retro-futurist designs of Tomorrowlands past and other things like the Monorail and the Contemporary Hotel and just think of how cool it would look and how cool an entire city built from the ground up like that would be. Now that I know exactly what that would have entailed (the city would essentially have you sign your rights away and would likely be just as exploitative as company towns around the turn of the previous century were) I look at it and think either “oh thank god this never came to fruition” or “this would never have actually worked”. At the same time he was engaged with enough good literature and research about city planning that there were loads of good ideas in there, and his eye for innovation was second to none meaning there were things in those plans that you could pull out and make today and they would still be helpful, especially his eye for transportation, which stood very much at odds with how transportation infrastructure was being developed at the time. A city designed to discourage car use with free, safe, and likely more energy efficient public transportation such as monorails and his PeopleMovers is the sort of wild idea that we ought to start implementing as climate change continues to bear down on us, but his ideas for closed circuit television constantly monitoring every aspect of community life is just a version of tech companies spying on us through the internet, but developed pre-the internet.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Comrade Fakename posted:

The funniest thing about Bioshock Infinite is that after years of fever-pitch hype, just three months later it was utterly and completely overshadowed in everything it attempted to do technically and emotionally by the then relatively unanticipated The Last Of Us. Like, Bioshock had all this talk about the incredible technology to have Elizabeth as an AI hanging around with you, and then immediately afterwards Ellie (almost the same name, even!) is quietly a hundred times more impressive.

Also, it's funny that Bioshock 2 has this reputation as the secret best Bioshock (in classic hipster style, the best one is the one YOU didn't play), when it is easily the most centrist Bioshock. The entire point of the game is to say "oh, did you think atheistic libertarianism was bad? Well guess what: religious communism is also bad."

Nah Infinite is way more centrist than 2, it literally does a “both sides have their issues” in game rather than existing as a counterpoint to the first one. My biggest issue with Infinite is that it sort of fools you into believing that it’s going to be a polemic like Bioshock was but at the end the rug gets pulled out and it’s head-fully-up-its-rear end metaphysical bullshit. The political themes are window dressing and are treated with exactly that much nuance, which wouldn’t be quite so frustrating if they hadn’t hosed both things up so bad.

Bioshock 2 *does* feature a villain who at first glance represents collectivism in a way similar to how Andrew Ryan represents objectivism, but there are a few differences that defang the criticism and keep it from feeling like just some Both Sides poo poo. The biggest is that Ryan’s beliefs are very explicitly drawn from one book and one person’s ideology, whereas Lamb is not representing any specific strain of collectivist thought (she’s not a Marxist or anything along those lines). Ryan most resembles titans of business like Disney, Ford, Rockefeller, and is right out of the mind of Rand, but Lamb is not a communist or a socialist, she’s more akin to a secular Jim Jones or Rajneesh guru-cult leader type. She’s a psychiatrist who has a large client-base of damaged people in a deeply unhealthy environment who decides to start a movement because as a space existing in a vacuum, Rapture magnifies any sort of ideological conflict into a fight for survival. Lamb exists in Rapture only as an opposing force, not inherently representing any specific ideology. It’s very likely she was created as an opposite of Andrew Ryan not to give the left it’s jabs but because creating a villain too similar to Ryan would just be retreading old ground.

It’s not as incisive a commentary because it’s not as specific. This could be a knock against the game, but Bioshock 2 replaces political themes with more personal ones. The personal journey of Alpha is given more weight than the player-character in the first game (who is, in the most literal definition, a tool with no real driving force). It’s still not very much, but the relationship between Eleanor and Alpha is more fleshed out than any relationship in the first game (which is sort of an unfair criticism of the first game because it’s clear immediately that it’s not a game about personal relationships). It’s the right direction for a quick cash-grab sequel to take because actually going in and making a second full-on political commentary would require some real adjusting of the setting and more time than they had to make it, but it’s very easy to take the beautiful world that was crafted in Bioshock and make new stories in it, which is what they did.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Acute Grill posted:

Our universe got the Far Cry series, where you play the same game over and over in different overseas vacation hot spots, but there's another timeline where they got a Bioshock series where you get to play the same game over and over in various failed Libertarian Utopian projects and I want to play that series.

We've had undersea rapture and cloud rapture, but what about Mars Colony Rapture, Free State Project Rapture (the Big Daddies are just bears), Boat City Rapture (there's enough dumb stuff in seasteading to double dip), Cyberpunk Arcology Rapture, Why Are All Libertarians One Bad Day Away From Being Unironic Monarchists Rapture...

After watching that video I posted earlier about Walt Disney’s plans for the original EPCOT my first thought was “oh this is the next Bioshock setting”, a corpo-fash future that looks not like Night City but Tomorrowland

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

A game about rebellion where your main antagonist is a guy running for office instead of the sitting government for some reason.

He was a former cabinet minister and assemblyman, even if he’s not literally in the government at that moment he’s the embodiment of government corruption and disillusionment. He’s basically Hillary Clinton with a chaos god who can warp reality to his will

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

So what is the deal with Licorice Pizza? It looks like pretty standard indie fare which means I would probably hate it on principle, but why does everyone else care?

The director is one of the most well-regarded living film directors, which is why it got all this attention. Then because of all of the film nerd attention it got it started getting mainstream attention for a few different reasons (dearth of theatrical comedies, big names, about Hollywood), but there are a few story aspects that are controversial. For starters, the entire movie is a Hollywood-adjacent LA romance set in the 1970s between a precocious 15 year old boy and a 25 year old woman. It resembles a lot of the director’s previous works because it feels sort of like industry insider/LA nostalgia.

The thing Anita Sarkeesian tweeted about was a character in the film who is based on a real guy who owned one of the first Japanese restaurants in LA who was wildly racist to his Japanese wives. It gets into the “how do you depict racism without making its victims the butt of the joke” conundrum; people who like the movie will tell you that the guy is shown to be a buffoon by the way he acts, and people who disagree (like Walter Chaw, whose review was linked above) say that the movie doesn’t actually say anything about his racism beyond its depiction and the way it depicts his wives (both Japanese, somewhat stereotypical of Asian women in Hollywood, speaking Japanese while seemingly comprehending English perfectly fine) doesn’t do anything to convince the viewer they’re not just a part of the joke.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Related anecdote: I watched Tropic Thunder for the first time in a while for a class. I loved that movie when it came out and watched it regularly for a while but hadn’t done so recently, and the only time I heard about it in the interim was people remembering that RDJ almost won an Oscar for a role where he was in blackface, which seems wildly offensive. But watching the movie, it goes through great pains to not just show his character doing something dumb and wrong-headed, but also having other characters, including his black costar, point out the flaws of what he was doing, especially when he revealed the limit of his knowledge about blackness and just started quoting The Jeffersons and poo poo. As far as portraying bigotry goes, Tropic Thunder does a great job of not just depicting but tearing it apart, which is why that part of the movie has aged surprisingly well.

Of course, in literally the exact same movie, there is also a perfect example of how you can do that poo poo wrong. The movie is actually wildly offensive to mentally handicapped people, and it’s easy to forget that all of the protests of the movie at release weren’t done by the NAACP but by disability-advocacy groups. All of the things they do to make it clear that RDJ’s character is in the wrong weren’t given the same consideration for Stiller’s, and even though they are framed as doing the same thing, you can tell that the movie doesn’t actually feel the same way about disabled people by the way they’re talked about, how they’re rendered invisible aside from Stiller’s caricature, and the words they used (and one word in particular that was absolutely everywhere in comedy in 2008). The same movie can be an example of how you can do depiction of bigotry right and wrong, and it sounds to me like Licorice Pizza swings way closer to the latter

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Rockit posted:

I assume the whole “Full retard” is just chopped liver. Not saying you’re wrong since I haven’t seen that movie that’s literally a scene that manages by itself to dunk on stillers’ whole thing.

Like I said, the movie knows that what Stiller’s character and RDJ’s character are doing is the same, but that scene sort of illustrates my point. The movie avoids RDJ using any racial slurs and actually makes a funny joke about him getting all Cosby on Brandon T Jackson for using it despite being a white guy in blackface. But in the scene you mention and multiple others across the film they use that word without blinking. There’s no disabled equivalent to BTJ, it’s not seen as bigoted, it’s seen as bad taste (which bigotry is too, but it doesn’t actually get at the biases that Hollywood has regarding disabled people). That’s the reason it was seen as offensive at the time and the part of that movie that’s aged the worst without question.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Clip-On Fedora posted:

As you said, you've just taken a class about this, and you're in the middle of it. But you can't think too hard about it. You think too hard about it and you make the same mistakes as people that think too little about it.

I realize this make no sense. But some things have to be experienced.

Have you seen the movie Rain Man? Then you will see what they were making fun of.

I know exactly what they’re making fun of, the movie literally calls it out: Rain Man, Forrest Gump, it’s not subtle. I don’t not get it, I’m saying that despite their messaging, it comes off as offensive, which is disappointing because in the same film they’re able to pull it off about a different very offensive topic without becoming offensive.

Again, it’s instructive to look back at the release of the film itself. They showed the movie to the NAACP and disability advocates. Only one of these groups protested. They didn’t protest because they didn’t get it, they protested because, despite the intent of the work, it still came off as demeaning. If every single character in the movie referred to black people as racial slurs through the entire movie but kept the rest of it as is, it would very much change the tenor of the work.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

It’s making fun of Hollywood’s tendency to reward actors for putting on identity and calling it a deep/quality performance, whether it’s Rain Man, Forrest Gump, Genghis Khan, I Am Sam, Dallas Buyer’s Club, Theory of Everything or The Danish Girl. This isn’t about one particular identity over any others, but when in the process of mocking Hollywood for its pretension you casually demean the people you’re supposedly sticking up for, your point gets muddled.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

The problem is people don’t put that word on the same level as the other words, and it’s evident here on this forum as well.

So I don’t know.

But that’s why it’s aged so poorly: that has largely changed. The casual use of that word, especially in comedies, has changed dramatically over the last decade or so, largely due to the same sorts of groups that came out and said “hey, this is demeaning” when Tropic Thunder came out. The blackface part hasn’t aged poorly because there’s nothing regressive about it’s use because the surrounding movie makes it very clear why it’s use is wrong. The parts about Simple Jack are, because of the demeaning language used through the rest of the movie making it unclear what the movie actually thinks about mentally disabled people. It was wrong then and is wrong now, but it’s taken a lot of work and time to get people to that point.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Oh no, I get that.

But still, when the King hides behind the court fool to do the heavy lifting for them, that's still a serious problem, isn't it?

Bill Hicks was a funny man in the 90's, but elevating him to the status of philosopher king was a terrible mistake.

I’m gonna be honest I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make. Like I get that you’re trying to say that we shouldn’t expect comedy to solve societal issues. Maybe my comparison of a movie that has no desire to do so (Licorice Pizza) and a movie that exists to skewer Hollywood’s ideals was a bad one. The point I’m trying to make is that no matter what you make, whether it’s a studio comedy or an Oscar-bait drama or an indie dramedy, if you’re trying to make a joke out of someone being a bigot, you can’t just leave it at that because in your audience you’re going to have both people who it goes over the head of who think that it’s funny because it’s true and people for whom who don’t think it’s funny because they have to live with that poo poo. Seeing people uncritically saying those things with the implication that it’s funny because it’s absurd having no weight.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

My scorching hot take is those people are going to exist no matter what. Django Unchained spent almost 3 hours showing how cruel and awful racism is and yet I hear white people quote like 3 lines with the n word in it and laugh every time.

Those people would still do that even if QT showed up at the end to say “hey this was not a good time for black people please don’t be racist it’s bad”

Making art for them is stupid. I don’t need goodfellas to tell me being in the mob is horrible and destroys yours and everyone’s life around you…I can use my brain to see this lmao.

You didn’t read the second half of my post. I agree that racists are always gonna exist and that no one should make movies specifically with them in mind but you also have to consider the people who are the victims of every day bigotry who don’t want that poo poo in movies where they have no place. Going back to Licorice Pizza, the review Walter Chaw wrote about that movie did a much better job of explaining it than I could because he’s the one that’s feeling this:

quote:

I'm the furthest thing from surprised--but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt when it shows up where you least expect it. I am a huge fan of Anderson's work. More than good, I think it's important. More than important, I think it's art. What I'm sure was a hilarious anecdote shared by a friend that Anderson transcribed faithfully into his text lands as a devastating reminder of exactly how perpetually foreign Asians are considered in this society. Defenders of this garbage, I'll ask you the same Cloud Atlas question: if it's acceptable, why didn't you do it with any Black characters? (Well, there aren't any, for starters, but you take my meaning.) Here's the thing, it shows up in a movie by Paul Thomas Anderson--a filmmaker I adore--and even mentioning it gets most of your allies exchanging glances behind your back. There goes the mouthy chink, overreacting again..

This is why the battleground is always comedy. It’s one thing to encounter depiction of racism in a movie like Django where that’s sort of the point and one knows what they’re expecting going into it (but it’s also worth noting that Django was made with copious amounts of input from its black leads to help keep it from being exploitative) but it’s another when it comes out of nowhere and is done poorly, which is largely an issue with comedies. If you go into a movie from a director you like and out of nowhere there’s this poo poo that you have to deal with on a day-to-day basis, and it’s framed as this joke, it eats at you. The review starts with an examination of exactly why the joke doesn’t work if it’s supposed to be “satire”, which is how it’s always written off, but that’s who it actually hurts the most: the people who want to have the movie be the same sort of escapism that everyone else can see it as, but they can’t, because of one completely unnecessary element. Tropic Thunder has actual sartorial aims but it still falls victim to the same problem: someone who is mentally challenged is gonna go into this movie and they might enjoy 90% of it, but then there’s that 10% of it that reminds them how they’re seen by society and by the media. It’s no longer a communal experience because the movie is laughing at them. Sure, the character who made himself into a caricature is supposed to be the fool but if everyone, buffoon or not, is using the same verbiage with absolutely no corrective, then clearly the movie itself has a certain perspective and it’s not positive.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Depiction is not the same as endorsement. If you believe that, then I don't think we can have a conversation.

Fools don't always make their point well. They're just hoping that you will listen to their foolish words and understand their intentions.

You’re either atrocious at reading or willfully misreading people but either way I would not like to subscribe to your Patreon

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t disagree with your point DC but I haven’t seen licorice pizza so I can’t comment on that movie.

I get the point. I think we’re in a weird place where society changed really fast and while stuff was “bad then and bad now” there’s degrees of it that let things slip through and it makes things complicated and I don’t really know how to discuss it these days.

And like I said a lot of this site does not consider the r word to be at the same level as other slurs. What this says I don’t entirely know but I think it’s something to consider i guess, and how that word is viewed now.

There are places on SA where you’ll get a probe for using that word, and progress here happens in fits and starts. There are always going to be variants in how spaces treat stuff like that, which you can see with how usage of all slurs has changed around here. I’m not saying that anyone who ever used that word or enjoyed a comedy with slurs or racism in it is bad, lord knows I have done both of those things (and not just with that one word), but the point is to be better going forward. We can look at old media and enjoy it with those caveats. You have to look at something holistically, take the good forward and leave the bad in the past.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

Having said that, I will also say that that simply pointing out the absurdity of there being some sort of secret Hollywood insider's secret to "correctly" appropriating mental illness is, well, sort of lampshading and thereby scrutinizing that very process of appropriation.

It's just not exactly crystal clear if the thing they're humorously ragging on is "there's a secret cheat code here" or "this entire process is bonkers."

I mean look at who is giving that speech in first place: the guy who surgically blackened himself for a movie but failed to learn anything about the person he was playing and just used stereotypes to fill in the blanks.

edit: yeah, what he said. Again, the problem isn’t the intent or the message, it’s the fact that the way that the other characters (the ones who are not signaled as pretentious buffoons) talk about disabled people, the fact that there’s no representation for disabled people, and the language the entire movie uses. All that undermines the point by dehumanizing the people it’s trying to represent

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 19, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Persona 5 Royal made the correct choice by taking an already excellent card game (President/Revolution) and just letting me play it with my cool anime friends. No extra poo poo to learn, just a dope rear end card game that I spent an incredible amount of time playing

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Arc Hammer posted:

It's a funny inverse of the argument that you can't make a work of fiction that is truly anti-war because of the nature of audience engagement. In this case it's impossible to make a war game that doesn't include anti-war elements because of humanity's relationship with conflict. You may get heavily jingoistic campaigns in the later call of duty and battlefield games but even they run on the mentality of fighting to prevent a greater tragedy by letting war spiral out of control. And those are games that can get extremely xenophobic to boot.

Counterpoint: the Black Ops games which are just CIA propaganda and are 100% pro-loving with democracy across the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Every time Megalovania shows up somewhere outside of video games I always smile a little. It’s funny that arguably the most iconic game song of the 2010s was from a game made by one single guy