Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

KingKalamari posted:

A couple more accounts along these lines I've been following lately:

Real Horror - A relatively new channel that deals mostly with things disasters. I was actually quite impressed with their video The Family That Vanished, which concerns the disappearance of the Jack family in Prince Rupert, BC, the case's mishandling by police and teh general systemic failures of Canadian law enforcement agencies in investigating crime against indigenous people.
Scary Interesting is a similar channel focusing on disasters (Particularly in mountain exploration) and unexplained disappearances, though after watching the hBomb video I have to admit their relatively rapid video release schedule has me giving the channel a bit of the paranoid side-eye
Shrouded Hand is a channel run by a guy with a soothingly British accent reading pretty much whatever horror-related stuff comes his way, ranging from True Crime to disastrous deaths to cryptids to freaky trip reports. Some degree of viewer discretion is advised as some of his videos include images from medical cases some might find disturbing.
In Priase of Shadows has come up in the thread recently for their nearly 5 hour retrospective video on Courage the Cowardly Dog, but I honestly have found their content to be pretty solid, doing analysis and retrospectives of horror media
Lazy Masquerade is a fairly big YouTuber who's more on the true crime side of the platform, though I find his content tends to be a bit better than most for the simple fact that he tends to approach his topics with more of a focus on the experience and lives of victims and survivors rather than from a fascination with the perpetrators. I'm a particular fan of this video where he delves into uncovering the origins of the creepy "Whitehouse" gif from an early 2000s meme, discovers the original photo that was used to create it was of an actual murder victim and then goes on a separate investigation to try to find more information and actual, unedited photos of said victim as a means to try to give her an identity beyond just an old horror meme.

Scary Interesting did a video covering the Veryovkina Cave that pretty much read an article as closely as anyone in Hbomb's video. I went looking for more info on the incident after watching the video and felt disappointed to find out it was largely uncited regurgitated work. Like Illuminaughti, he often has a link to a doc of links for sources, but doesn't in the video ever mention the article or acknowledge it in any clear and visible way. Potentially he feels that is sufficient sourcing, people really seem to run on vibes about crediting sources, but in retrospect I feel less charitable. I didn't think much about it at the time tbh.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/article/flood-escape-deepest-cave-veryovkina-abkhazia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNvfJYPYO60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

muscles like this! posted:

Miniminuteman kind of lost me when he posted a video on his channel of an appearance on some podcast that couldn't get like basic facts right.

Edit: Also he moved to a new location and the sound quality really took a nosedive.

The movie podcast?

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Endorph posted:

i liked when i said threads' numbers didnt look good and a bunch of people yelled at me as an ELON MUSK DEFENDER and then like two weeks later everyone simultaneously forgot threads existed forever

instagram periodically puts promotional posts in my feed showing off what people are talking about on threads and it looks miserable there

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

fun hater posted:

i dont think he needs to be "run off the internet" (aka voluntarily leaving when put under pressure lol) but i find it genuinely grotesque to be subject to this cloying poo poo as a woman where we all celebrate how fuckable we are....but feministly!!!!

e: like the appropriate response is a single "ugh" or a gagging sound. i dont think he should be killed...........yet

i think once people are sending you pipe bombs it's a bit hard to call it 'voluntarily' but thats just me

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

fun hater posted:

no one sends you a pipe bomb for being straight and if you believe that youre dumb

lmfao he said he got "suspicious packages" and nothing else.

i do believe the internet is capabable of immense casual cruelty over people being cringe, and i do not think harassing some rando dude is a feminist issue that makes me feel protected on the internet as a gay woman

i think it's people dressing up their 4chan level glee at having a target in language that makes them feel righteous

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

mycot posted:

I mean he didn't say pipe bombs he just said he was sick of getting suspicious packages to his address and everybody phising for his private information to dox him. People are most joking about pipebombing one heterosexual guy I'm pretty sure.

Even of it wasn't anthrax I would still be creeped out by a random internet stranger sending me hatemail to my house tbh

i am happy to correct the record, guy was merely being harassed to the point people were doxing him and mailing poo poo to his home, a thing that is totally normal and nbd

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

fun hater posted:

casual cruelty=pipe bombing a family, not even the guy involved

yeah if you're merely being doxxed by freaks and having your family doxxed its nbd can't believe someone would call that being 'run off the internet'

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

fun hater posted:

all of this information is already freely available legally online via voter registrations. no one has to work for it if they know your state and last name.

how many packages did you send him

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Nazzadan posted:

The timeline of what happened because I only saw it briefly mentioned a couple pages ago is user Claire Penis posted the I Like Girls video saying she made it as an obvious joke, because JoCat's watermark is on the video the whole way through and the end of it has links to his socials and patreon. It was a "hey remember this lovely video lol" joke and her immediate reply to her own post about her partner going "wow this video sucks" is just even more proof she was not in any way shape or form trying to "steal" said video. It stayed pretty localized in her circle until JoCat RT'd it going "erm, actually I made this" which then blew it way the hell up and his fans didn't understand it was a joke and were accusing her of being an art thief (because theft is hot on everyones mind thanks to the recent good Hbomber vid). Claire started getting a lot of hate (if we are going off someone online saying they are getting death threats is proof they are getting death threats, she claimed she was getting them at this point) which caused her to private her account, and around the time JoCat released his im done blogpost she deactivated. Harassment is bad, weirdos that attacked JoCat offline are worse than any crime of being cringy he might have committed, and anyone that harassed Claire is just as bad. The new narrative I'm seeing being spun is if you dared to think his dumb video was annoying in any way you are basically the same as the person who sent a box of poo poo to his family, which is extremely not okay imo it's completely fine to think something sucks from a huge account without being lumped in with harassers.

Sorry if this didn't need a clarification post, I just thought an actual timeline of this particular instance of his video blowing up was maybe needed.

no i think clarification was good, and necessary, thanks. that poor woman as well, wish it was in any way suprising no one is mentioning what happened to her when discussing this.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

fun hater posted:

my cool friend linked me this: the british film institute recognized video essays for their contributions to culture and film

https://www.bfi.org.uk/polls/best-video-essays-2023

"Of the nominated works, 47% were created by male video essayists, 39% by female, with several from non-binary creators and mixed teams. Around two-thirds feature voiceover, with the majority presented in English, although 14 languages feature in the overall poll.

The nominations saw a relatively equal split between essays created for YouTube and those created for academic research, with 50 YouTube and 47 academic videos (or entire series). Publicly available videos’ viewership varies broadly, from 9.5 million views (for MyHouse.wad) to the low double digits; participants were keen to highlight new and underseen works as well as celebrating the achievements of established creators. Festival films or installation pieces also proved popular, with 53 arthouse shorts, features and documentaries nominated. Also present, although in a smaller proportion, were self-published Vimeo works or collaborative projects unaffiliated with a specific institution. However, within the yearly S&S poll for video essays, there seems to be a slight decline both in independently produced and published Vimeo content, and in video output by cinephile magazines, while the academic sector is slowly but constantly expanding."

excited to see some praise for "a history of the world according to getty images". this is one of the first youtube links on the page...but you should watch mad god first imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV8BnxuPF2Y

its a neat collection of works.

VVV ......anyway

This is cool, thanks for sharing it. Happy to see Lily Alexandre on there, she puts out some good and thoughtful stuff.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Endorph posted:

Seriously though did you people actually think i meant he was literally sent a pipebomb, i was joking jesus
I thought it was being used as hyperbolic shorthand for lovely mail based threats and intimidation but i definitely didn't make that clear when i posted and deserve to be ribbed for that.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

fun hater posted:

mycatscrimes im sorry i bit your head off. my basement flooded last night bc of course it did and people are right that im taking out peripheral insanity on friendly targets.

it's all good. I'm sorry about your basement! That majorly sucks and i'd be grouchy too

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

TheMightyBoops posted:

Has anyone ever been thrilled to see any skit anywhere?

Pro ZD is pretty funny

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
When most of a youtuber's videos are less than two minutes long and they play every character on screen, you have found the good skits

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Skippy McPants posted:

I dunno. He got a lot of attention when he did that Concordia video a couple of years ago, and I think a lot of his growth was people looking and hoping for more of that. Videos that were funny, but also about an interesting, if obscure, topic. However, aside from the Concordia video, most of his other output was low-effort trash. Riffing with friends, commenting on current events, and recounting 4chan and videa game drama.

But then Until Man in Cave came along, and it seemed like he'd spent months writing and researching this really gripping story. Only oop, he didn't! So now, not only is he a known plagiarist, but he's shown that he probably can't or won't make more videos in the vein of The Cost of Concordia. That makes him the worst thing you can be on the internet: boring.

Also, I went and looked at The Cost of Concordia to double-check the name, and the video now has this pasted on at the start.

L, and, I can't stress this enough, OL.

If I had a nickel for every time someone didn't understand that Fair Use something you have to argue in court in response to a claim, and not a magic incantation which wards off claims of copyright infringement, I'd be quite wealthy now.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Palpatine canonically being resurrected in a fortnite event is the funniest thing

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The cowards changed the name to jatz music.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
ublock's subreddit has a pretty exhaustive post about navigating the new anti-adblock, but it mostly boils down to don't run two adblockers at once, turn off your browser's native anti tracking on youtube (because that in itself triggers it), keep ublock up to date, and check other extensions (such as youtube enhancement suite) to see if they are triggering the anti-adblock.

There is also a website tracking whether ublock's script is up to date with youtube's anti-adblock script for easy reference. https://drhyperion451.github.io/does-uBO-bypass-yt/

I don't know if similar resources exist for other adblockers because I've just looked at the one I use, sorry!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Happy he finally got to harness himself to a helicopter

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyd90g9B-vY

One of my favorite geography/ecology channels just updated. Geobiology? I don't know the right term for his specific niche, but he makes interesting videos! This one is about extinct animals.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Harvester knows what it wants to be and goes for it. It's thematically and artistically coherent and has some good horror content buried within. I think the actual execution is pretty uneven and could use polish but as weird little horror adventure games go you could do a lot worse.

Compare Darkseed 2, which is dealing in a lot of the same horror archetypes and the same genre of gameplay but is just miserable and uninteresting.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 3, 2024

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
"This will explain everything!" is pretty amazing lol

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Endorph posted:

thats kind of just the shield a lot of these guys use. like that Trash Taste Podcast crew who go on their podcast and talk about how hard anime is to rec because its too horny and objectifies women and then go on their youtube channels and 'ironically' do nothing but talk about hentai

I feel like these people are saying a lot more about the things they choose to watch than the state of anime.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Yokai Watch is really fun, just running around the setting and exploring is really rewarding. It's a super dense and detailed little city with a ton to do, even before you get to the critter collecting. Very charming and engaging. Some people bounce hard off the battle system, though.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Feels Villeneuve posted:

does anyone have any youtube videos to share

This one amused me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZLorfd0U6o

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Mercury Hat posted:

yeah I think "all the cool gays died of AIDS and only the loser boring ones care about marriage" was a unique take from him lol

It was a pretty popular talking point on Tumblr, a kind of morphing of legit intercommunity discussion of respectability politics and priorities in activism via the eternal hot take machine until it turned into something totally insane.

Being critical of gay marriage as an activism priority, worth discussing! Especially the way focusing on it can push other issues out of the spotlight.

That said, a lot of people have forgotten the real material issues wrapped up in marriage such as inheritance rights, power of attorney, the right to visit your dying spouse in the hospital, be in their will, handle their estate, make medical decisions if they are incapacitated, and be on their health insurance. If you think about it for even a minute, it's little wonder why it became a rallying point for a lot of lgbt activists during and after the AIDs epidemic. Acting like prioritizing marriage is purely some invention of 'boring, heteronormative respectability queers' is offensive if you think about it for even a second. We can and should have complex conversations about what to prioritize in activism without that kind of ahistorical slander.

Well, we probably can't have that kind of discussion in a social media environment, where nuance goes to die.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Endorph posted:

and the reality is like

most gay people just wanna have a normal life lol

you can discuss the idea of marriage being an essential part of a 'normal life' but even pre-aids most of the gay people who died of it were boring accountants who had a 'roommate' that theyd lived with for a decade. most gay people were not the ones rioting or protesting or doing anything shocking. the idea that being gay activates some gene that makes you Uniquely Queer and Powerful is some rocky horror picture show rear end logic.

not to mention the idea that 'all the cool queer people were the ones who got aids' is basically just 'aids is punishment for being too gay' reheated and turned around. a ton of the people who died of aids werent even gay.

Absolutely all of this, yes.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Famously the Soviet Union had no association with fitness, bodybuilding, or masculinity in the American psyche.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Feels Villeneuve posted:

in fact "the gender people are cringe and scaring off the real working class" is like the coldest, most overdone take you can have if you want to play to the "dissident left" crowd

To be clear, the "hot take" I'm discussing that I saw had nothing to do with talking about "tumblr genders" or cringe, it was a homegrown sentiment that people who did not have sufficiently radical aesthetics were assimilationist gays and that things like marriage rights were assimilationist priorities- a result purely of respectability politics, not arising from legitimate concerns. It carried a big whiff of the "boring gays vs cool gays" rhetoric Somerton employs in his video, and absolutely did invoke the aids epidemic in a similar way. It came from the same communities that the dissident left would be deriding as cringe and scaring off the "real" working class.

Mind you, I totally believe that there were people outside the community spouting similar rhetoric from different angles. If anything, I think the diversity of places this rhetoric is encountered, and the different people it gets targeted at, is further evidence of it being an incoherent criticism based in homophobia. It's not like people willing to prioritize their personal comfort and ability to assimilate over the well-being of the community don't exist and aren't worth discussing when planning activism and messaging, but the way it is wielded in the social media sphere is often just an attempt to win arguments by positioning the arguer as the 'good' gays and their opponents as the 'bad' gays, or as you describe, to weaponize homophobia against gay people from outside the community.

The older I get the more I feel like it's impossible to have these kinds of discussions productively in an online social media environment.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 7, 2024

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Youtube is best used for videos of happy betta fish in adequately sized tanks with live plants, not for discussions, imo.

Here's a really cute one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLCfstqOfsw&t=1s

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Famethrowa posted:

aquarium chuds....on youtube

perhaps red betta fish are suspiciously chudly...

mycot posted:

It sorta feels like people (in multiple independent instances) took the idea of queerness being anti-establishment or transgressive and mutated it into "being a queer is a political act (which you can be bad at)". Which is not really much different from the old school homophobe idea that people choose to be gay or trans because they want to be special snowflakes, lol.

Yeah, I agree with this assessment.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Which fish is the most chud. Aquarium experts only

It's arowanas. I will not share my methodology for coming to this conclusion.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

B33rChiller posted:

One of Chris' earlier vids on setting up a planted tank suggested "get yourself an Asian guy" as a good way to source plants, lol.

important note for link nonclickers that Chris is himself an Asian guy

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

B33rChiller posted:

This channel out of Washington has a pile of content from a long time meganerd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0zF6mMjIsU

Aquarium co-op FTW

And if you're mostly into the scaping and planting, Serpa Designs is excellent as well. https://www.youtube.com/@SerpaDesign/videos I'm always a bit skeptical with youtubers who do a lot of work with animals, but as far as I have seen Tanner's husbandry is excellent and he's even done work with various animal preservation and education organizations in exhibit design.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
While we're talking about cultural exchange between the West and Japan, here's a relevant aquascaping video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym8oZYe2J00

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Batgirl as Oracle was rad but that is entirely down to creators that worked with the character after TKJ, not because of it.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Endorph posted:

the general term for nonbinary identities over there is XGENDER which is much cooler.

Would be a pretty good band name

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
When I heard Lisa Lisa getting chumped immediately instead of getting to have a cool fight with Kars was editorial mandate, my third eye opened. That's my least favorite shonen trend and it used to make me so mad as a teen lol. Glad to hear it's changing in Jump (although these days I wouldn't know, because I solved my issue with it by reading stuff from outside Shonen Jump).

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
wisdom is knowing not to kill the bad guy all your fans love when you could instead keep him alive and give him a funny pink shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Yf8Y1yo-o
New Casual Geographic, if you like his vids. This one's about elephants.